MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-28-2001, 03:14 AM   #1
stng87
Registered Member

Post Cops: tricks of the trade

Lets get the info out that we know about cops. what are some of the tactics that they use? Im sure that there are plenty that are known by the mustangworks users. This could be useful. I think that I have gotten off a lot just cause I have veteran plates. Anyone else???

------------------
1987 black with t-tops. Cobra intake, 1.7 cobra crane rollers, gt40p's, bbk shorties, off road h-pipe, adj. FPR, Tremec t-5z, 65mm TB, 4.10's, adj cable, 155lph fuel pump, Ram clutch kit,
275-60-15 BFG TA's on Welds, Hurts shifter,Former AOD Semper Fi
stng87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2001, 03:34 AM   #2
69fastback
IRAQ VET

being in the army has saved my butt more than once.

------------------
69 428 cobra jet: tons of mods.
97 f-150 5.4 xlt mark III
BUCKLE UP. SUCK IT IN.
Objects in the mirror are about to disappear...
QUICKLY!!!!!!

69fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2001, 04:19 AM   #3
84stangLX

This is what i know about cops (which isn't much but it may help):
nearly every time that me or someone i know has been pulled over it was either a speed trap or the cop paced them (pacing is more common at night). A speed trap is obvious, but pacing is more subtle. I noticed that a cop will speed up like 5 to 10 over, sometimes more to catch up to you then slow down a couple of car lengths behind you, sometimes even in your blindspot if it's a multilane road. If you catch the cop early, you can lower the ticket or avoid it. I have a tendancy to slow down whenever someone is behind me at night and it's saved my butt more times than i can count.
The biggest thing i've found is that if you're respectful, honest, act responsible for your actions and are prepared and fess up to what you did the cop is more likely to let you off with a warning. one of my friends is an idiot and argues.....i wonder why he has so many tickets and i have none.
I've also noticed during the day if you see a cop on the road, he's less likely to pull someone over, maybe because during the daytime there's more to do otherwise and less drunkdrivers. Just some tips i abide by that may or may not help

------------------
'84 Mustang 5.0 LX
My car
Old 06-28-2001, 08:19 AM   #4
Kevin Price
Registered Member

Moved to Blue Oval Lounge

------------------
SVO siamesed 351 stroked to 417ci,Yates heads, solid roller,Trans King glide and a little blue bottle
of giggle gas. My Car
Kevin Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2001, 10:28 PM   #5
oldman
Registered Member

Never admit you knew what you were doing. A cop wold rather think you weren't paying attention to your speed than to find out you were "trying" to break the law and "boy are you sorry". Don't apologize too much. Groveling just makes em more disgusted with your sorry butt. Don't say "sir" so many times he starts to hate the term. I've seen this so many times and it's a dead giveaway you're really trying hard to divert his attention to your politeness. . .forget it it won't work. People who are too polite are trying to hide something. NEVER get smart with them. If you feel slighted or you feel like he's f*#*ing with you, swallow a bucket full of pride and keep quiet. You'll have your time in court and besides, if he's runnin his head it's a cinch he wants you to say something stupid. Don't give him an excuse to escalate the situation.
It never hurts to ask if he might be able to reduce the speed on the ticket. This will give him a hint you're concerned about your driving livlihood without sounding like you think you want to get away with whatever you did.

In short, try to make the meeting between you and him as uneventful as possible. The less you give him to remember the easier it will be for him to forget about you and the details might be less clear in court should it go there.

One last thing. . .stay out of the left hand lane. If there's two or more cars in a group and there's a speeder in the bunch acording to his radar, the one in the fast lane is gonna get busted.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2001, 10:37 PM   #6
Cajun
Registered Member

Let's see, I was a Deputy for a few years until I was forced to retire by our new sheriff. If you really wanted a ticket from me you should:
1. Have a radar detector on the dash when I pull you over.
2. Argue that I am wrong about your speed.
3. Tell me that you know Judge so-and-so and will get this fixed. My trick was to write on my copy of the ticket"Do Not Reduce". And not a single one ever was.
4. Tell me how fast I was going to catch you.
5. Tell me you had no idea how fast you were going.
6. Tell me your speedo is wrong because of the tires, gear, or other mods you added. You then also got a ticket for defective equipment.
7. Offer to drag race my unit, if you win---no ticket.
8. Offer to pay the ticket now, in cash (bribe). Your a-s is mine then!!

The best way to prevent a ticket.
1. Have a legit badge of your own with a legit Commission.
2.Admit you were speeding and have no excuse, but, promise to slow down if I give you a break.
3. Ask that I write a ticket for a seat belt violation or other non-moving violation so your insurance won't go up. This usually resulted in no ticket at all.
4. At least hide your radar detector before I get to your door.
5. Admit that you are young and dumb and make mistakes.
I am no longer a Peace Officer, just my suggestions from my past career experiences.
Later
DT
Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2001, 01:25 AM   #7
LincoConti87
Registered Member

Well Cajun enlighten me on something...can you see a radar detector on my dash from say coming the opposite way or from rear? I honestly try not to speed on highways and stuff. I generally go 65 in the 70 because it gives so much better gas mileage and less vibration. Sometime I just use the detector for the heck of it and in case of speed traps from speed dropping suddenly. I have avoided trouble a couple times when having it going off from a unit I cannot see coming in opposite direction checkin me. I actually did not even buy the detector. My aunt gave it to me cus she did not use it so its just kind of a toy.
I'd like to add something my uncle told me. He is a metro cop in miami. Be careful when you talk to police officers. Do not lie to them about any information because if they are at all intelligent they will play mind games with you by asking the same question in different ways trying to trip you up.In other words don't do illegal stuff cus you will be in trouble!
LincoConti87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2001, 01:58 AM   #8
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

Wink

Just be cool... The cooler you are the better! (at least with the majority, some cops are just hard a$$es!)

------------------
Joe! 1988 GT, 167,000 miles!!! 13.58@105mph Check out my listing! Click here! Or my website:www.joe4speed.com
99 Ninja ZX-6R:10.32@135mph!
1993 Olds Eighty Eight LSS 16.40@88.8mph
joe4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2001, 08:00 AM   #9
SmokeyDP
Registered Member

I have one of those Fraturnal Order of Police stickers, but I haven't put it on my car yet(It was a $35 donation). My car always has the top down so I can't decide where the hell to put it if I was pulled over. Do these even help when you get pulled over? I have started to see people with big plastic ones, what did they have to do to get one of those bad boys?

Scott

------------------
1992 GT 5.0L Convertible
BBK Shorties, Flowmasters, Super Chip, Mass Air, Under Drive Pullies, Hurst Shifter, Duck Tape
AIM: SmokeyDP
SmokeyDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2001, 08:45 AM   #10
Cajun
Registered Member

Linco: It is very easy to see the little black box on your dash, both oncoming and from behind.
Smoky: The FOP stickers usually won't help. Most of the stickers from folks like that do very little, the groups usually use the police name and only give about 2-3% for the benefit of the officers and their groups. Like these folks calling on your phone, usually a retired State Trooper asking for donations for the Disabled State Trooper Benevelovent Fund, what a scam. They keep 98% of the money you donate and give you a window sticker. Ask them how much of your money actually goes to the Disabled Troopers, they usually stutter and say that information is not available.
Most cops are human, a few are real pricks. Hell, I was young and dumb once myself, now I'm just dumb. I now have an 01 Cobra and find myself using the same tactics that I heard used on me when stopping some guy checking his hot rod. So far, no High Speed Driving Awards!!!
Later
Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2001, 09:57 AM   #11
Foxtrot X-Ray
Registered Member

Wasn't there a book called "How to Avoid a Ticket" written by an ex-Highway patrolman?

I remember the phrase "Keep your liking of the Grateful Dead to yourself" in reference to Dead stickers on the car
The man also said that the "Restroom Excuse" works well.

Some years ago, I got nailed for 85 in a 25 mph zone at half past midnight in my '66 Charger.
Spnt five minutes in the cruiser.
Walked back to may car, sat in the driver's seat, and my concerned friend asks, "What'd ya get?"
I handed him the ticket.

It was a warning for the Tail lamps being out........
Foxtrot X-Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2001, 11:17 AM   #12
jimberg
Registered Member

Quote:
6. Tell me your speedo is wrong because of the tires, gear, or other mods you added. You then also got a ticket for defective equipment.
I've actually gotten off with a variation of this. I didn't say it was off, I said I wonder if it is off because I just put in a new transmission and got done rebuilding my car. He looked at my unpainted hood and believed me I guess. Told me how much I was over and moved on.

Another time I got pulled over for speeding (75 in a 55) and I wasn't wearing my seatbelt. I tried to slip it on without him seeing but he saw. I explained that I just got a new job and was so excited when I was telling my wife about it on the phone that I didn't realize how fast I was going. He just wrote me up for the seatbelt.

Whenever I've been pulled over, I just have my license ready, hands in site and window down when they get to the door and just answer whatever question they ask without volunteering anything.

I was also pulled over once for too loud of an exhaust. I know my exhaust was legal and I know I wasn't speeding since my seat was broken and I was concentrating on not falling backwards. When he told me about my exhaust, I just asked him what statute I was violating so I could look it up and verify that I am in compliance or not. He couldn't name it, so I figured he thought I was thief or something. Another clue was that he had his hand on his gun and approached from the passenger side on top of a little knoll. My top was down.

I didn't get a ticket there, either.

I have had my share of tickets though. Mostly for doing 75 in 55s. My worst was 96 in a 65 in Wisconsin.
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2001, 11:29 AM   #13
jimberg
Registered Member

Oops, forgot something.

Quote:
The man also said that the "Restroom Excuse" works well.
I actually had a Wisconsin trooper tell me this once. This was the first ticket in my 'Stang. I was doing 86 in a 65 near Menomonie, WI. My top was up since it was raining in MN but it cleared up in WI so I pulled into a rest stop to lower it. The trooper told me that he thought I had to go to the bathroom and was gonna let me go, but I then proceeded at the same rate of speed so he gave me a ticket.

That stop was a nightmare. I didn't have a bond card or credit card( I only had amex and discover and they only took MC or Visa) that WI took so I had to go to the station to fill out a signature bond. I was there for like 3 hours waiting for someone to get to me. I'm still waiting for the Visa commercial where they say, "If you're driving through Wisconsin, you better watch your speed, or you better have your Visa card"

Oh, radar detectors are a big waste of money. All they do is distract you or give you a false sense of security. Not to mention the fact that the cop will not only see that you're speeding, but are doing it with premeditation. It's a sure ticket getter.
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2001, 12:42 PM   #14
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

I have several friends that are City cops, and a few friends that are Sheriffs, and one that is a State Trooper.

When I got pulled for racing, they about arrested me. The guy that pulled me about caused an accident when he did a U-turn on a busy road in heavy traffic to catch me. He had to call another officer in because he tried writing me up for Pre Arranged SPeed competition (Thats when you have a flager, and markings on the road) Luckily the Dispatcher asked where, and he told them this busy street, she told him to call another officer to assist with writing the ticket.

The guy pissed me off, so I asked him if he just started Yesterday, or was born yesterday. I told him even I knew that wasnt Pre arranged Drag racing.

When the other officer arrived, he came up to me and told me to get out of the car ( I was scared as hell) He asked me if I went over the speed limit. I told him no, actually I didnt. He asked the young rookie, he shook his head no.

He then asked if I spun any tires. I told him NO, that was the truth. He asked the rookie, the rookie said he thought I did but wasnt sure.

He then asked the rookie what the cars I were racing were, the rookie answered he didnt see or know. The officer was pi$$ed off, he kinda yelled at the rookie for not knowing anything at all and said he had no real reason to pull me over. Then the cop asked me what the two vehicles were, and I told Him ( I should of said none, that I wasnt racing and was pulled over for nothing).

The older cop wrote the ticket and gave it to me.

Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2001, 12:50 PM   #15
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

I have gotten out of two speeding violations, and one reckless driving.

I argued my way out of a speeding ticket with a Sheriff. I was honest to god, going 43 MPH in a 45 Zone, I was in my Moms white Cougar and this Honda Prelude or something blows by me. A sheriff that was behind the prelude gets behind me and pulls me over.

I had to stop in the center lane because Traffic was to heavy and it would of caused a traffic obstruction. The guy had no radar, and your not allowed to Pace in NC, so I asked him if he had some calibrated eye balls. Then I asked him what speed he Though I was going. He said he clocked me at 50. I asked him what he clocked me with, and he siad his radar. He didnt have radar. Then he got on my case about not pulling to the left. I told him that the law states that if you cant pull over to the left without causing obstruction of traffic and without causing danger, then it was permissable to pull over to the right.

He grumbled, and called me a young moron, and Said I shouldnt be driving ( I had a good comeback, but I kept my mouth shut) and gave me a warning.

The other time I spun tires in my 64 1/2 Diane, and got pulled by a state Trooper, he let me go and said I had a nice ride. I told him I wasnt used to driving a high performance car and I didnt mean to spin tires. Thats was total BS, but hey just laughed and siad he understood and told me to have a good day.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2001, 01:12 PM   #16
DemonGT
Registered Member

yes i warn you ppl...Wisconsin cops are a$$holes...i just got a ticket for $91.50 cause when i pulled away from the curb there was sand so my tire spun alittle and when i got out of the sand my tire made a little "chirp"...also got pulled over and got a warning for my tint that was 23%..took that off..got a warning for having my fog lights on..i havnt got messed with for loud exhaust yet cause when i get pulled over i just shut the car off and rall to the curb haha

------------------
'91 GT,91K,T-5,air silencer removed,HD clutch,K&N air filter,Mac long tubes,Cat-back,off road H,FMS 9mm wires,180 thermostat,Competition gauges,C&L 76mm MAF,Accufab 70mm TB,TFS street heat intake

Waiting install:Nothing

Future Mods:3.73's,Pro 5.0,TFS heads,TFS stage 1 cam,lakewood struts/shocks,nitto DR's
ICQ#35670781
DemonGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2001, 01:26 PM   #17
SmokeyDP
Registered Member

I was pulled over for a 55 in a 35. I had slightly larger tires on the back and said that I had just got them put on and they looked bigger and I think my speedo was off. They did look a LOT bigger because of the tread pattern. I had a 2 day old receipt from having them put on and I showed him and he gave me a seat belt ticket and told me i was 20 over so I could compensate.

------------------
1992 GT 5.0L Convertible
BBK Shorties, Flowmasters, Super Chip, Mass Air, Under Drive Pullies, Hurst Shifter, Duck Tape
AIM: SmokeyDP
SmokeyDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2001, 04:33 PM   #18
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

Do not speed, goes without saying.

Do not ever, ever, ever say you did not realize how fast you were going. Say somtihing like; Im sorry officer, I knew I was going faster than the limit, but when I saw you I looked down and it did not seem that fast. I just have some things on my mind.......Thats not lying.

When I stop a car most of the time my mind is of yet not made up. I look for somthing to tip the scales either way. As stated before a radar unit will tip the scales.

I stopped a car yesterday for 58-30 zone. The woman had three kids in the back but all were buckled up. Im thinking good deal, scales tipped toward her, she walked.

Do not ever lie, if I catch you in a lie I will never forget. If you do not move from town, I will get you everytime you do anything wrong. Sorry but true.

Somthing to break the ice helps. When I approach a car I do not know if your a "A" student, or some bank robber. I am already on gaurd and somthing to relax my suspicions helps.

I do not care who you know, or who your daddy is. I may not like him/them anyway.

Put your hands on the wheel until I ask for your license. Do not be grabbing, or hiding your radar or anything. I might think it is a gun or dope, either way you may be looking at my gun now. This wont help your chances out of a ticket. Turn on your interior light if night. The above mentioned shows respect.

I write around 3-5 tickets a day. I pull over around 10 cars a day. More get by than not.

Excuses are a dime a dozen. I have pulled over cars for six year now. Arrested hundreds of people, siezed dozens of cars, answered thousands of calls for service. I too know the latest excuses.

The most dangerous calls for officers are stoping cars and domestics. We die doing these things. I do not need extra crap when I stop you.

*FOP If you want to donate money to the FOP, donate it to the local lodge. We spend the money on local disasters/ X-mas gifts for kids, etc..

Come to the station and see what we do. Ride with us and get to us. Even the pricks, wont seem like pricks. "Its a wall thingy."

Signed,The Cops.
mustangII460 is offline   Reply With Quote