MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-22-2001, 12:13 AM   #1
deciding

Question What should I buy?

I am buying a new mustang within a month, but I don't know what to buy. I've narrowed my choices to either a 2001 Cobra or Saleen s281SC. This will be my daily driver. I can afford either but the payments for the Cobra look alot better My fear is that I will spend alot more upgrading a Cobra and lose my warranty in the process. I'm not into ground effects and decorations I just want serious power and good handling, with dependability, of course. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 09-22-2001, 12:52 AM   #2
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

Thumbs up

That is definitely a problem I'd like to have. The cobra is an awesome car, and 01's are definitely for real. However, right off the bat, the s/c saleen will smoke the snake. Also, you are in such exclusive company with the saleen, meaning you will turn so many heads. If you can completely afford it, the saleen is what I'd go with. However, if payments are gonna kill you, the cobra is still a rediculous ride, and will be a lot of fun. Keep us posted.

------------------
Black 2000 GT Auto
Bassani X-pipe, Magnaflow Mufflers, Steeda Pulleys, K&N Filter. Steeda Weld in Subframes, Strut Tower brace, Sport Springs, Caster/Camber Plates.
Ran Once, 14.52@96.57 with a 1.32 R/T & 2.3 60'!!

Red 1994 Mustang Cobra #4343
Pulleys, Shorty Headers, K&N filter, short throw shifter.
StoplightWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2001, 01:14 AM   #3
deciding

Talking

Thanks StoplightWarrior,
Just to add some more of my thoughts to this.
I have located the Saleen I would buy, it stickers at 50k! Could it really be worth 17k more than a COBRA?
I love the Saleen, but I'm also afraid it's too flashy.
Also, Vortech claims 490hp on the Cobra with their kit, but will this negate my warranty??
Even if it does I think it would be worth it.
Old 09-22-2001, 08:06 AM   #4
rbatson

I've heard that ford is offering 0% financing on all thier cars now, as is GM. I don't know the term though. A Saleen would be sweet! A cobra is nice too. A Saleen would be sweet!
Old 09-22-2001, 09:59 AM   #5
dinomite
The Dude

i'm not big on the looks of the saleen either, i'd say get the cobra. plus, with the cobra you get twice as many valves!
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2001, 10:26 AM   #6
I hate Rice
Registered Member

Well if I had your problem, I would go with the cobra simply becuase you will have a 17k surplus to dump in to your car. Your car will be personilized to your taste, flashy or not so flashy. Also your luxary tax will be less since its 17k less and aftermarket parts arnt expensive enough to have the luxary tax. Cobra all the way. My .02.
I hate Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2001, 01:12 AM   #7
mustang marty gt

Lightbulb

get the snake , that's what i wanted but , money, sallen's are sweet , but for 17,00 you can buy the saleen body part's,and still have the b. a. cobra engine if that's what you want , good luck.

------------------
Old 09-25-2001, 03:25 AM   #8
BTS88IROC
Registered Member

Get a Camaro!
But seriously, I'd also say get the cobra, with all the money you would save by not getting the saleen, you could mod the hell out of the cobra. Just my .02
BTS88IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2001, 03:30 PM   #9
Nitrous Al
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Get the Cobra!!!
Nitrous Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2001, 10:31 PM   #10
deciding

Talking

Thanks for your input everyone!
I agree with you all. The Saleen is an AWESOME car, but the Cobra is NO slouch!
I'm giddy I signed the deal tonight and will hopefully take possession tomorrow evening.
(It's a dealer trade) Had to get Laser tint red and chrome wheels.
Future plans include a Vortech S-trim and the other usual upgrades shifter, exhaust... Screw the warranty this things gonna SCREAM!
Now I have to change my name on the Message Board.