MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-24-2001, 04:03 PM   #21
gp001
Registered Member

Fastang,
If you are buying the Trick Flow cast aluminum valve covers be advised that they do not have any holes drilled in them for breathers/pcv. I had a machinist friend do mine, so I don't know what it would cost. They also do not have baffles, but do have bosses that need to be drilled if you want to attach a baffle.
If you decide to do a baffle let me know. The "flat" baffle they give you specs for (with the walve covers) didn't work out to well for me (there wasn't enough run off room). I designed a slightly different version. I made a template in autocad of my modified version, as well as their version, so if you are interested in either let me know.
gp001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2001, 04:20 PM   #22
bada$$lx

Cool

Like Skyman said, the 1.7 rr's would be a better combo w/ your b cam. I'm not too familiar w/ the '94+ stangs, but I know after my heads/intake/injector/ ignition etc, my car needed a chip (and it's been fine since). It's probably not the problem, but IMO I think your TB is too small. I agree, that you should definitely be in the 12's!

------------------
'90 LX 5.0;12K original miles (no sh*&);3.55 gears; March pulleys;Edelbrock Performer Heads;BBK 1 5/8" equal length shorties;MSD 6AL ignition w/ blaster 2 coil;FMS E303 cam;Pro-M 75mm MAF;BBK 70mm TB; Eibach drag-launch spring kit;Southside welded subs;9" K&N cone filter charger;Hurst shifter;Cervini's 3" turbo hood;A/C delete; gutted cats;2 chamber Flomasters;Corbeau racing seats;FMS 30# injectors;JMS chip; Holley 190lb fp;TFS track heat Intake (12.299 @ 113 - 1.78 60')
Old 09-25-2001, 12:54 AM   #23
fastang
Registered Member

Wow guys, thanks for all the replys. I just got sick of this **** tonight and ripped the inducton tubing out. The rubber tubing from the MAF to the TB wasnt TOO oily but still, it had oil all over it so I cleaned it out, then I thoroughly cleaned out my TB. When I pulled out my MAF housing a FUGGING QUART of oil dumped all over my car and driveway It was in the plastic container around the housing. Fortunately the actual MAF sensor didnt seem to be damaged. I put an open breather on it and cleaned everything out and the car is running a little better. It's holding an idle now and its even at a decent rpm but it still stumbles every once in a while, usualy when cold. If I press the clutch in while driving it constantly hunts for an idle from 12-1800 rpm and it still wont calm down untill I come to a COMPLETE stop, which is very very annoying. It seems a tad quicker but its still not what Im expecting.

Sky, I disconnected my battery for an hour or so while I was working on it tonight and re hooked it up like you said, then I tried to let it idle but it stalled after 50 seconds. I dont have a gun but Mark says my timing is at 12, I want to go higher but for some reason he doesnt. My fuel presure is around 35-38.
I have an appointment at Swanson Performance for a dyno tune and custom chip on next monday but I might get it in there this Saturday. I know a guy with an 8 second stang and he gets his car tuned at Swansons too so Im sure he will be able to figure out my little 12 second wanna-be. He's expensive but good. Its probably going to cost me 500 bucks. I hope to GOD he can help me.

------------------
95GT, TFS T.W. heads, Holley Intake, B303 cam, FRPP 30lb injectors, Scorpion 1.6 rollers, 65mm TB, 73mm MAF, BBK Longtubes, Flowmaster cat back, March Pulleys, MSD coil, 9mm wires, Tremec 3550 trans, Pro5.0 shifter,10.5 Motorsport clutch, FMS aluminum driveshaft, weld in subframe connectors. 190lph pump, BBK adj FPR.
fastang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2001, 01:17 AM   #24
fastang
Registered Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 88GT5.013.02:
[B]How much compression is your car pulling? Usually when you take an oil breather off while the vehicle is running and you can see a misty steam (oil) blowing out your rings are bad. Did you do a compression test or do you just think the compression is good?

As everyone has said when the driveability problems stop your car should run tons better.

We took the breather cap off while idling and even revved it up to 3800, no steam or oil splash whatsoever. My intake charge was literaly sucking oil out of my valve covers like a straw...I had no idea it made THAT much suction....this tells me that the potential IS there, I just have to tap it.
My PCV is in the back of my lower intake and now gets direct vaccum, its not on that stupid tree they send you...my car also has that funky intake elbow so the setup might be different.
Cam, the car reads no codes and the check engine light never came on.
GP, thanks for the info and ideas on the valve covers but I decided not to get them. These cheap *** ones look like **** but seem to be working well. My car looks stock anyway so the dirty motor with the ugly valve covers kinda works...might make people underestimate me or something.

------------------
95GT, TFS T.W. heads, Holley Intake, B303 cam, FRPP 30lb injectors, Scorpion 1.6 rollers, 65mm TB, 73mm MAF, BBK Longtubes, Flowmaster cat back, March Pulleys, MSD coil, 9mm wires, Tremec 3550 trans, Pro5.0 shifter,10.5 Motorsport clutch, FMS aluminum driveshaft, weld in subframe connectors. 190lph pump, BBK adj FPR.
Old 09-25-2001, 06:36 AM   #25
88GT5.013.02

Hey Rick 91GT can you send me pics of what you did to your pcv system? I work at a performance parts store in Michigan and I ordered a Holley upper and lower intake.

Thanks

Jason
Old 09-25-2001, 07:28 AM   #26
Rick 91GT
Procharged!

Quote:
Originally posted by 88GT5.013.02:
Hey Rick 91GT can you send me pics of what you did to your pcv system? I work at a performance parts store in Michigan and I ordered a Holley upper and lower intake.

Thanks

Jason
No Problem, I have the pics at home I'll send them tonight. Fastang I'll shoot them to you as well just incase having the PCV directly into the back of the intake doesn't work, I though about trying that and I think it will still sucked oil really bad now it will just burn the oilinstead of dripping out the TB or intake tubing.

------------------
Check Out My Site 91GT,Holley SysteMAX II Kit-Heads 2.02" x 1.60" port matched to a 1262,Anderson N-61,24#,76mm C&L,Full MAC, No A/C or PS or emissions, 12" K&N Filter,RNH PERFORMANCE Ram Air,Ron Davis Radiator,Full Suspension, SPEC stage III clutch, Lakewood SFI bell, S&W 8pt "X" brace,JAZ seats,3:73's,Welds..etc,4:30's and 31 splines coming very soon!
[b]12.16 @ 113.5, 1.78 60ft..no traction in the 90 degree
Rick 91GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2001, 09:57 AM   #27
R-MODEL
Registered Member

I have a similar set-up, fully ported edlebrock heads, fully ported cobra intake, 65mm TB, 75mm mass air, B303 cam with 1.7 rockers and fly-cut pistons. I am running the stock 19 lbs injectors with the stock regulator., I have the idle turned up to about 900-1000 rpm. It seems that my car runs a lot better than yours. I also have 3.55 gears, my track times were about 13.4@102, thats on regular street radials (Firestone SZ50's). I think that you have way too much fuel, 30lbs. injectors are good for a small blower and too much for NA unless you are running spray.

------------------
1994 Mustang GT with 110K miles, ported cobra intake, ported edlebrock heads, 1 3/4" long tube, b303 cam, 2 chamber flowmasters, cobra-r wheels, cobra front brake kit, saleen wing, recaro seats, radar detector, etc.
R-MODEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2001, 03:54 PM   #28
Skyman
I need 110mph Trap Speed!

R-model, your car should be trapping quite a few MPH more than that. Atleast 106 or so.

Jesse hope the dyno tune fixes it up. If he doesnt fix it, he shouldn't charge you.

Skyler

------------------
-1989 Saleen Mustang #406-
TFS TW Heads, E-303, Edelbrock intake, 70mm TB, 73mm MAF, 24lb injectors, 1 5/8 shorties, Off Road H, 3 Chamber flows, Jaz Race seats, Back seat removed, sub-frames, Roll Cage, and a 80 shot of N20.
12.54@107.4 Motor
332RWHP, 350rwtq
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2001, 04:11 PM   #29
Rick 91GT
Procharged!

Well I disagree about the 30# injectors being too big, I knmow on my combo the 24# go lean up top I shift at 6300rpms, which is just about where the power falls off in cool weather. Icreasing the pressure and adjustable fuel pressure regulators are a joke, until you go about 70% - WOT the computer will only let it think you have stock settigns, yes you get a little extra fuel by increasing the pressure but the true way is to increase the injector. A buddy of mine for another board runs low 11's @ 119.6 mph out of a NA 306, with 9.2 compression he runs 30# injectors at 41psi the car made 337RWHP. It really depends on the rest of the Combo, that Holley will pull well into the 6000rpm range but that cam or anything with less then 228-230 degrees intake duration will die off before then, and 1.7's are fake lift, and actually they put added stress on the valve train it is better to go to a larger cam with 1.6's.

I feel a different cam would do alot for that combo, it is the heart of the motor and that B303 isn't cutting it, maybe a N-4 from AFM would be good, it will work with stock pistons and the rest of that combo very well bring out the flow in the TFS heads and Holley intake, the heads flow about 250cfm at .600 and the Holley flow about 250cfm.

------------------
Check Out My Site 91GT,Holley SysteMAX II Kit-Heads 2.02" x 1.60" port matched to a 1262,Anderson N-61,24#,76mm C&L,Full MAC, No A/C or PS or emissions, 12" K&N Filter,RNH PERFORMANCE Ram Air,Ron Davis Radiator,Full Suspension, SPEC stage III clutch, Lakewood SFI bell, S&W 8pt "X" brace,JAZ seats,3:73's,Welds..etc,4:30's and 31 splines coming very soon!
Old 09-25-2001, 08:11 PM   #30
fastang
Registered Member

Man, I really didnt want to change the cam but I might after all. Im only shifting at 6 grand though...anymore is too hard on a stock short block. I dont think the injectors are the problem. MM&FF say that you cant go too big with an injector untill you hit the really high expensive ones like over 42's. The cpu just cuts the pulse width back a tad to make up for it.

Rick, send those pics to a95fiveliter@hotmail.com. The car is running a little better now and seemed to pick up a bit when I put the open breather on it. Im sure after it burns the rest of the oil left in the intake and I get a dyno tune it will be better. I will let you guys know.

------------------
Old 09-25-2001, 09:15 PM   #31
Rick 91GT
Procharged!

Quote:
Originally posted by fastang:
Man, I really didnt want to change the cam but I might after all. Im only shifting at 6 grand though...anymore is too hard on a stock short block. I dont think the injectors are the problem. MM&FF say that you cant go too big with an injector untill you hit the really high expensive ones like over 42's. The cpu just cuts the pulse width back a tad to make up for it.

Rick, send those pics to a95fiveliter@hotmail.com. The car is running a little better now and seemed to pick up a bit when I put the open breather on it. Im sure after it burns the rest of the oil left in the intake and I get a dyno tune it will be better. I will let you guys know.

I sent the pics this morning..did you get them, it came from my work address rhawver@strouse.com

------------------
Old 09-26-2001, 12:17 AM   #32
Skyman

I dont think the cam is screwing this up.

People told me my E-303 was a bad idea and would hold my motor back, but its gotten into the mid 12's. Susisatng is running 134mph w/ this bcam. So I doubt thats really the biggest problem.

Skyler

------------------
TFS TW Heads, E-303, Edelbrock intake, 70mm TB, 73mm MAF, 24lb injectors, 1 5/8 shorties, Off Road H, 3 Chamber flows, Jaz Race seats, Back seat removed, sub-frames, Roll Cage, and a 80 shot of N20.
12.54@107.4 Motor
332RWHP, 350rwtq
Old 09-26-2001, 01:06 AM   #33
fastang
Registered Member

I really dont think its the cam either. I sure hope I figure it out or the dyno tune works the miracles Im paying for.

Im gonna check out those pics now. I hope hotmail lets you view pics.
Old 09-26-2001, 07:42 AM   #34
Rick 91GT
Procharged!

I don't think it is totally the cam, but that cam is limiting his combo. The B303 is not a good match to the TFS heads or the Holley.

The dyno should really enlighten the whole situation to see where the air fuel and power curves are. If oil is getting itno the motor still it will kill the octane rating on the fuel. What do the plugs look like and what gap do you run?

Sky- When are you getting that oil pump fixed?

------------------
Old 09-26-2001, 01:25 PM   #35
AJSTANG
Registered Member

I think Rick agrees with me. The cam is a mismatch. TFS heads and the Holley intake suport high lift cams with more duration. To maximize these components change th cam and thank us later. Good luck! Remember this post from a few weeks ago.

Quote:
Originally posted by AJSTANG:
Coming in a little late on this post but wanted to share some info. The push rods are 6.7" and you can get them from Trick Flow. Go at least with the stage I port for a little extra flow and hp. Also Use 1.6:1 ratio rockers. I'd recommend a different cam though something with more lift and duration

AJ, the duration of my B cam is 224. Thats exactly the limit of what TFS reccomends for stock pistons without valve reliefs. Do you think I could get away with more? Maybe more isnt so good? Sky seems to be doing great with an E cam.

------------------
95GT B303 cam, 1.7 rockers, 65mm TB, milled heads, 355's K&N, BBK Longtubes, Flowmaster cat back, pulleys, msd coil, 9mm wires, Tremec 3550, Pro5.0 shifter,10.5 Motorsport clutch, FMS aluminum driveshaft, weld in subframe connectors

------------------
'93 GT Conv.
TFS Twisted Wedge Heads, Cobra Intake, Lunati Cam, 24lb inj.,Pro-M 80 mm MAF
12.80 @ 108.13 mph w/1.80sec 60ft
AJSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2001, 02:38 PM   #36
Skyman

Well it seems to me that the issues are...

1. Getting the oil out of the intake fixed and whats causing that to happen. Thats definatly screwing up the motors power.

2. Getting a dyno tune for that shitty 95 computer, and chip.

3. That should cover your timing also, TFS heads LOVE TIMING!

4. Last and least maybe changing the B-303 cam. But I think just adding 1.7 rockers to it would do the job, as a membr on this board gained 12rwhp on a heads/cam/intake combo with that.

Then lets get to carlsbad and find out whats really going on!

Oil pump today!

Skyler

------------------
12.54@107.4 Motor
332RWHP, 350rwtq
Old 09-26-2001, 03:14 PM   #37
AJSTANG
Registered Member

B-cam: Makes peak hp (5100rpm) and torque @ 3300 rpm Ref: FRPP catalog

Holley intake: Makes peak hp and torque between 5800-6500 rpm ref: Holley and Alternative Auto

To get the most out of the Holley you need a cam making power in the same range.

------------------
'93 GT Conv.
TFS Twisted Wedge Heads, Cobra Intake, Lunati Cam, 24lb inj.,Pro-M 80 mm MAF
12.80 @ 108.13 mph w/1.80sec 60ft
AJSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2001, 03:52 PM   #38
89 Cobra LX
Don Corlione

Rick or anyone,

Can you explain to me how the computer can adjust the fuel-pressure if you've got an adjustable FPR? I've always been told to use less injector and up the fuel pressure.

Thanks

------------------
Eric - 89 Mustang LX coupe
302 - Cobra Intake - GT40p heads - TFS stage 1 cam - FRPP 1.6 roller rockers - Naturally Aspirated
3:73 gears - KYB shocks and struts - Eibach springs - HPM Mega-bite Jr lower control arms - HPM upper control arms
89 Cobra LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2001, 06:26 PM   #39
Rick 91GT
Procharged!

The computer will adjust the pulse width of the injector to give it the factory setting. I also beleived increasing the pressure helped and it sorta does...

The increase in pressure will be found after you are at 70% throttle then if your regulator is set at 40psi you will get the extra fuel which will make you 19lb injector act like a 20lb. Jim Berg has a really good long explanation on this in Windsor Power, if you do a search on him you should find it.
Old 09-26-2001, 11:40 PM   #40
fastang
Registered Member

Ok, plugs are gapped at 54 and they are the right length but I havent taken them back out and looked at them yet. I probably will tommorow.

AJ said the the correct pushrod length was 6.7. I am using 6.8's The instructions with the heads said to use 675's but I couldnt find any. My rockers are adjustable so I used them to make up the slack. Maybe I should take full advantage of the longer pushrods and re-adjust my rockers?

I am installing a new TPS tommorow and buming my timing up to around 16-17. Then Im going to raise the fuel pressure a tad an see how she runs. I will let you guys know how it turns out.

------------------