MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-29-2001, 09:06 AM   #1
bri32z
street racing junkie

Question wonder what's up his sleeve

There is a guy at work that has a z28 that has been wanting to race me ever since I put my new set-up in. He has heads, intake, gears and a 80 shot. Anyway, Yesterday I asked him to race and put his money where his mouth is. (His buddy just got done riding down the street with me.)His buddy whispered something in his ear while I was taunting him to race.The guy with the z all of a sudden said he had to get home and he will be able to race me next weekend. I bet he has something up his sleeve. Well so do I. I will be putting a set of 4:30's in this weekend and a 150 shot. All the guys at work are in favor of him just because they think all fords are slow. But yet they won't race on demand. What's up with that? If the brand x cars are so bad how come none of them want to race but always say they will spank me? I am not scared to loose a race at all, it's all part of the game. I'll let ya'll know the results if he ever gets the b@lls to run me.

------------------
95 gt:edelbrock intake and heads ported and matched, 70mm throttle body, 75mm mass air meter, 2040 cam, 1.7 cobra rockers,cold air induction, bbk equal lengths,high flow h-pipe(bbk) super chip, 24lb injectors,190lph fuel pump(bbk), under drive pulleys, 3;73 gears, Has other mods but not too sure what my mechanic did. Hoping for low 11's in the 1/4 mile. Now have my 347 block installed.To see all mods look at my spec page.

My Car: [URL=http://www.mustangworks.com/cgi-bin/moi-display.cgi?1855]
bri32z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2001, 01:06 PM   #2
mustang marty gt

Thumbs up

iv'e run into this 100 times, when i had my 69 grande it was basically stock 302 foged piston's header's flows and- 2v carb , with 4-speed it was fast because they guy who built it is a boss 302 whiz, well a guy at work had a 72 nova 350 , auto ,low gear's he woulndn't race me. until he put in a hot cam, 4v high rise headers etc then he wanted to race. so it's the same old story that brand x guy's have to buid up their car's so they have an advatage,but whatwas funny he changed to a 3-speed , & 300 rear gears i offered to run him , in my stock oogt , oh no can't do it , isaid but gee it's stock, ha he has shut up , but i still ask him everyday , i guess his feather's are showing .the only offer i have had was a tubbed out 67 nova with a monster built 454 4-speed i asked how much of a spot he was giving, none how fair is that !they alway's do this it's the x way of life and all fair to them. good luck smoke his a$$

------------------
Old 09-29-2001, 09:08 PM   #3
Nitrous Al
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Find a Performance shop with a chassis dyno and dyno tune the car before the race.
Nitrous Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2001, 10:48 PM   #4
bri32z
street racing junkie

All installed now. I have absolutely no traction what so ever. I just hit it and the tires boil. I still have stock susp. Need to get some slicks I guess. Think I should of put in 4;10 gears instead.

------------------
95 gt:347 stroker balanced,edelbrock 150 shot, edelbrock intake and heads ported and matched, 70mm throttle body, 75mm mass air meter, 2040 cam, 1.7 cobra rockers,cold air induction, bbk equal lengths,high flow h-pipe, super chip, 24lb injectors,190lph fuel pump(bbk), under drive pulleys, 4;30 gears, Has other mods but not too sure what my mechanic did. Hoping for low 11's in the 1/4 mile. To see all mods look at my spec page.

My Car: [URL=http://www.mustangworks.com/cgi-bin/moi-display.cgi?
Old 09-29-2001, 11:12 PM   #5
69fastback
IRAQ VET

His buddy problaly told him he was going to loose so he is going home to get some more nitrous or something like that. U know he is going to do something or else he wouldn't have waited a week. U need to get some good suspension parts. They really help u to hook up alot better. I hope u go kick his butt .

------------------
69 428 cobra jet: tons of mods.
97 f-150 5.4 xlt mark III
BUCKLE UP. SUCK IT IN.
Objects in the mirror are about to disappear...
QUICKLY!!!!!!

69fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2001, 04:50 PM   #6
lx mike
Undescribable

he's probly gonna bump his 80 shot up and probly do some more mods hoping to beat you seeing as his friend knows how both cars run.

------------------
Mike's LX
lx mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2001, 06:20 PM   #7
MMLX
Registered Member

what year is the Z? if it is an LT1 even with heads,intake,cam and nitrous.....why would you think you could win? is he going to run off the bottle?

------------------
89lx, Edelbrock Performer Heads, Edelbrock performer Intake,Comp Cams Extreme Energy cam, BBK 65mm TB,73mm Mass Air,24lb Injectors,255lph fuel pump,373's,full maximum motorsports suspension system,baer 5 lug conversion with cross drilled rotors, 17x9 cobra "r" rims,JBA shorties,bbk offroad h-pipe,flowmaster w\dumps,underdrive pullies,moroso cold air,275/40/17 BFG Drag radials.
(Big Shot coming soon)
MMLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2001, 07:24 PM   #8
bri32z
street racing junkie

Yes he is going to use the bottle. I am not too sure if I will win but I sure will have fun either way.

------------------
95 gt:347 stroker balanced,edelbrock 150 shot, edelbrock intake and heads ported and matched, 70mm throttle body, 75mm mass air meter, 2040 cam, 1.7 cobra rockers,cold air induction, bbk equal lengths,high flow h-pipe, super chip, 24lb injectors,190lph fuel pump(bbk), under drive pulleys, 4;30 gears, Has other mods but not too sure what my mechanic did. Hoping for low 11's in the 1/4 mile. To see all mods look at my spec page.

Old 10-01-2001, 08:51 PM   #9
rbatson

Quote:
Originally posted by MMLX:
what year is the Z? if it is an LT1 even with heads,intake,cam and nitrous.....why would you think you could win? is he going to run off the bottle?

I don't understand this statement. Why wouldn't he win? A 347 with ported aluminum heads and a 150 shot?!?!

If ford would have put good breathing aluminum heads on the 302 to start with(like gm did to the lt1 and ls1) then I think stock, it would be a close match to start with between the lt1 and 302. Both cars are modded so you can throw those stock hp figures out the window. A camaro is not going to gain as much hp as a mustang with a head change because the lt1 had good heads to start with, the mustang did not.

Another thought, the ls1 is faster in the quarter than the dohc. You add a blower to both and the dohc gains more hp. Why? Because lately gm has been modding the cars stock, which I think is absolutely great! The ls1 is riding the edge of longevity, stock 10.5:1 compression. I wondered why ford hadn't been doing that until I started pricing the two.. Mustang $24k, LS1 $27k and up. No kidding, a 2002 T/A is $32k!!

We are talking about a 347 with ported alum. heads and a 150 shot. The only thing I'd be worried about is hooking up.

Bro, you hook up and he will never catch you..

What year is the camaro??
Old 10-01-2001, 08:59 PM   #10
bri32z
street racing junkie

The Camaro is a 97 model. Hooking up is a big prob right now. Raced a stock Gt and he jumped on me bad because all i did was spin all the way thru 1st and 2nd. But once she bit---good lord I was gone. I think I broke or cracked an engine mount tonite. Will check it in the am. I never say I will certianly win because you never really know what mods he has. But I do know for a fact he put some more stuff on it because it has been in the shop since Saturday. All in all it will be fun. For me anyhow

------------------

Old 10-01-2001, 09:17 PM   #11
mustang marty gt

Wink

damm 4:30 gears good night irene i bet you are going 120 mph in first gear no wonder, tank tracks couldnt take that i do hope you are talking rear end ratio if not i got egg on my face , if you are how can you afford gas let alone tires,i bet it is one hell of amonster on take off damm i thought 373 was kinda wicked, but my old chevy's had 4;11's i couldnt get to a gas station fast enough . break bad my man.

[This message has been edited by mustang marty gt (edited 10-01-2001).]
Old 10-01-2001, 09:32 PM   #12
bri32z
street racing junkie

The gearing is wicked Marty....I figure that I am getting around 6mpg or so. Could not wait until the am to look at my baby... Engine mount in is 2 now. It even bent the hood where the intake hit it. My dad is a tire wholesale guy. I get tires for notta. Personally I don not care for the 4;30 gears. A buddy of mine is swaping me for a set of 4;10's. She will be fixed by nightfall tommorrow I will be sure of that. Still hope that I will be able to run her this weekend for some times.

------------------

Old 10-01-2001, 10:25 PM   #13
LfiveohX
Addicted to the 5.0

At least you will be racing a 97 LT1 and not the high and mighty LS1. I honestly don't understand what every Chevy guy's problem is with those LS1's and getting defensive when someone says they beat one. It's like us getting mad when someone says they beat a mustang with a Honda then later you find out it was a V6 mustang automatic convertible. I have been to several different dragstrips and have seen Camaro's and Mustangs running very inconsistant times. I honestly think that if you took a young driver and put him in a new LS1 Camaro and got say Evan Smith (from MM&FF) in a bone stock 2001 Mustang GT, he would whoop him guaranteed. I think people underestimate the driving skill required to race in a quarter-mile setting. My friend used to have an 89 Saleen with some pretty basic bolt-on's and took it to the track after maybe 1 month of owning it. He could not go any faster than a 15.2 at 92 mph. He was consistently running 15.5-15.6. He was pretty disappointed to say the least. This was at LACR for those who are from CA. The weather sucks, the track sucks, everything sucks out there. Corrected altitude is usually at 6,000 feet! About 6 months later we went back. He did nothing else to the car except get a March Ram-Air kit and pullies. We also did a tune-up and adjusted the timing. He ended up going slower. 15.8's!!!. He was so mad! I asked him if I could try once. He let me go. Let me add that I by no means think that I am an expert but I knew I could do a whole lot better. His 60' times were usually 3.00-3.20 and it seemed like he would roll out a bit before even launching. So here I go, shallow stage it, hit it hard and ease out the clutch, slam 2nd, slam 3rd and power thru the traps at the top of 3rd to the tune of a 14.3 @ 98mph. He was so excited. I'm sure that someone else could of done better but point in case: The better driver will almost always win! Sorry if this was so long!:-)

------------------
1993 Conv. LX 5.0, Air in the tires, Fuel in the tank, Put the top down, Floor it till it breaks!
LfiveohX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2001, 10:54 PM   #14
mustang marty gt

Cool

good lord brie what a damm set of gear's geez you should play some synyrd, they call me the bries -breeze keep blowin down the road i can't wait till my damm warrnty is over& i can add on what i want,good luckdude .------------------heyLfiveohx why is it when i mention a certaian type of car the unforgiven jump all over me but if anyone else does they shut their piehole's i used to be a gm guy but grew up go figure i said it many time's before most of the time it is driver experiance that win's .

[This message has been edited by mustang marty gt (edited 10-02-2001).]
Old 10-01-2001, 11:37 PM   #15
LfiveohX
Addicted to the 5.0

Mustang Marty GT - I honestly don't understand why they seem to pick on only you! I think that maybe you give them this one-sided attitude that they are also wrong when saying that their cars are faster than ours stock. I have respect for all cars - It is usually the drivers that I end up not liking! If I see a 12 second Honda I am honestly impressed that someone would spend that much time and money on a 4 cylinder. I also like seeing fast musclecars. I enjoy watching any car go 10's on motor. Usually they are older Chevy's with 454's. But I think what is happening is that you are sending out this vibe to these Chevy guys that they don't like. You have turned away from the darkside of the force and joined the Rebels!

------------------
1993 Conv. LX 5.0, Air in the tires, Fuel in the tank, Put the top down, Floor it till it breaks!
LfiveohX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2001, 03:07 AM   #16
1965GTO
Registered Member

They're too expensive for me, but I see LS1 powered cars with nothing more than a k&n filter running 13.0's in the 1/4 mile at Gateway International Raceway on stock tires. I think the trap speeds were around 108mph, that is damn good horsepower. And like the looks or not they are aerodynamic. I am between cars right now, but whatever I get next will be easy to work on, fast for money spent and carbeureted.
1965GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2001, 10:42 AM   #17
mustang marty gt

Wink

thank's l fiveoh x i guess your right l love old car's too esp. the old muscle car's my first car was a 69 chevelle ss 396 4-speed i have siad many time's i owned chevy's for 20 year's at least but when i joined the navy & went to hawaii idid'nt have acar, was riding with a freind & saw a pretty 69 cougar ,bought it well, the rest is history i have been true blue ford every since and shall be till the day i die.some guy's do say worse thing's about chevy's than i do ,but no one will say anything back to them, i guess it's because i get po,edwho know's whatever they say does not really bother me ,they dont pay my light bill so f them see ya & thanks again.

------------------

[This message has been edited by mustang marty gt (edited 10-02-2001).]