MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2001, 02:19 PM   #41
Paluka21
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mach351C
I totally agrea with you paluka, do not take my last post as like i was defending the rx7. I totally think the rx7 is unreliable. I have the mustang i can even show you a pic of me in it if you wanted, but do not take it that I am here to defend other cars or anything, I love the mustang and it will forever be my favorite car. I dont know why you drew these conclusions of defending a rx7? In fact all i did was give 2 website's that i searched for at altavista.com
I feel the same way I like the look of the cars, definetly sporty, but they just arent for everybody. My buddy plans on buying another 3rd gen and putting a V8 in it..lol. I guess that sums up the motor blues..hehe
I just took you the wrong way, my fault. I dont mind seeing someone defend their favorite car, or what they beleive is right, I just hate it when you get someone bragging how their car is better than someone elses.
But, I took a look at that Rx7 page, and it gives specs etc on them. not sure if those #'s are accurate or not. My friend w/ his 93 had a downpipe, apexi catback, and some type of intake mod and went 14.0@99mph with a 2.0 60'. Not too shabby if you ask me for those mods. This was also at a bad track, if it were at a better track that would have been 13.8's or so. This other guy I was referring to had an ECU, 13 or 14psi, full exhaust straight with midpipe, home made intake, some type of fuel system, pulley, and upgraded intercooler, he was only going low 13's I beleive but at like 114mph. So that car was definetly capable of low 12's on better tires.
anyways, sorry for the harsh greeting, welcome to the board
Dan
Old 12-21-2001, 02:24 PM   #42
Mach351C
Registered Member

Hey its all cool man, Im glad that im not makin enimies here. ya that v8 should be interesting in a rx7 lol. donno what would happen?
Old 12-22-2001, 01:24 AM   #43
RevinRx7
Registered Member

Well for palukas points about it, Most motor companies ended their research on the rotary engine because of the energy crisis in the early 70's.
And yes i will agree with you on the point of third gens being bad. The 3 catalytic converters that mazda had to put on the 3rd gens caused so many boost spikes that it litterally blew the turbo's at 70k.

And as for the V8 conversion, say hello to hella torque. only problem is lots of frustration in puting it in and still very unreliable. Not to mention throwing off the whole 50/50 weight balance of the car.

But as for whoever said that whole thing about most of the car being about the driver is right. And i have too admit my car has plenty of soft points which i'm sure your cars are no where near to rivaling(not being sarcastic) but what can i say? The rotary engine grabbed me by the throat before any v8's could.

By the way i know how unreliable RX-7's can be. i'm almost 18 and already on my second one looking for a third. my first one blew its apex seals.
Old 12-22-2001, 01:25 AM   #44
RevinRx7
Registered Member

Oh and yes from what i have heard the redline should be up around the 14k mark.
Old 12-22-2001, 01:55 AM   #45
Paluka21
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RevinRx7
Well for palukas points about it, Most motor companies ended their research on the rotary engine because of the energy crisis in the early 70's.
And yes i will agree with you on the point of third gens being bad. The 3 catalytic converters that mazda had to put on the 3rd gens caused so many boost spikes that it litterally blew the turbo's at 70k.

And as for the V8 conversion, say hello to hella torque. only problem is lots of frustration in puting it in and still very unreliable. Not to mention throwing off the whole 50/50 weight balance of the car.

But as for whoever said that whole thing about most of the car being about the driver is right. And i have too admit my car has plenty of soft points which i'm sure your cars are no where near to rivaling(not being sarcastic) but what can i say? The rotary engine grabbed me by the throat before any v8's could.

By the way i know how unreliable RX-7's can be. i'm almost 18 and already on my second one looking for a third. my first one blew its apex seals.
I was wondering what happened to the rotary in the covette. See I always thought that they couldnt get rights to the motor, as mazda didnt have rights to it at that point either. ( from what I understood, but I could be wrong ) Either way a 3 or 4 rotor corvette which is what I thought it was supossed to be would be hella fast.
boost spikes, yeah..hehe I've heard my friends talk about them alot. The one guy who blew up his motor had a manual boost controller on the car, and was actually wanting the stock pills back so he wouldnt be getting boost spikes in cooler weather, as supossedly if the rotory motor goes lean at "ALL" its **** outta luck. Which is why I assume they throw flames when they have a straight exhaust. ( yep I've been there, my car is running WAY too rich )
I actually thought an LT1 V8 conversion would put the car at a near perfect 50/50 weight distribution, in a 3rd gen that is. My buddy said there have been people who've done it w/ success and it gives the car more wieght in the front where the 3rd gen needs it, as the lt1 motor only weights slightly heavier than the rotory. But ,this is just what he was telling me. However I can imagine that it would accelerate like mad, LT1 motor has 275 hp at the crank stock you put that in a 2800lb car w/ all that torque, its gonna more than likey be a high 12 second car, low 13's at the worst. seems to be very easy to make fast.
And yes, it seems that the RX7 performance has to do w/ driver, seems easier to launch a mustang since it has good torque, but when you have a car w/ little torque its easier to bog, or get the wheel hop the rx7 gets. ( man I've been hanging out w/ these rotary guys too much ) but these are the things that seemed to be their problem w/ the car. which is why the above looks like it does. intercooler, 14psi, ECU, full exhaust, pulley, fuel system, = low 13's @114mph.
Yeah it seems that the Rx7 motors are very high maintanance, and are unpredictable. My bud took great care of his, prolly just as good or better than my cobra and it grenaded at around 45k miles. He sold it online to some guy on his rx7 list he knows, or something with a blown motor as is.
BTw 14K redline, damn whats the point? why not make more torque for the car down low and take redline to 9K, seems like it would make more sense to me..unless your driving an indy car..hehe
later
Dan
Old 12-22-2001, 01:56 AM   #46
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

Quote:
I actually thought an LT1 V8 conversion would put the car at a near perfect 50/50 weight distribution, in a 3rd gen that is. My buddy said there have been people who've done it w/ success and it gives the car more wieght in the front where the 3rd gen needs it, as the lt1 motor only weights slightly heavier than the rotory. But ,this is just what he was telling me. However I can imagine that it would accelerate like mad, LT1 motor has 275 hp at the crank stock you put that in a 2800lb car w/ all that torque, its gonna more than likey be a high 12 second car, low 13's at the worst.
LT1? WTF, LS1 son, if your doing the swap why put an LT1 in?And I think you guys need to shut up, and stop bitching back and forth at each other, I'm sure everyones sick of it now.

Last edited by 1BAD89; 12-22-2001 at 02:03 AM..
Old 12-22-2001, 03:36 AM   #47
Unit 5302
Registered Member

There is a lot of wild speculation and false statements flying back and forth.

If you cannot launch a twin turbo RX7 that weighs only 2800lbs, then you're doing something wrong. You need to spool the turbos before you launch, that is where you get a great launch. Just like any small displacement turbo car.

As for a 14k redline, it's not gonna happen.

Layout: Longitudinal mounted front engine
Disp./Cylinders: 1.308 L 2-Rotor Wankel Rotary
Bhp@RPM: 250 @ 8500
Torque (lb.-ft.)@RPM: 153 @ 7500
Fuel System: Electronic Fuel Injection

Those are the specifications I pulled off

http://www.velocityjrnl.com/jrnl/200...l2429spec.html

With peak power coming in at 8500rpm, I seriously doubt a redline higher than 9k. Those numbers are EXTREMELY suggestive of performance in line with the S2000, except with the RX8 weighing in at a few hundred lbs more, it'll be very lucky to see a 13sec stock pass. Other totally speculative sites do not list the RX8's redline to be in excess of 10k, and why would it be?

The rotory engine has it's advantages, so do piston engines. I think the RX8 is a serious step backwards from the RX7. I think engine longevity will be poor in the RX8. Too bad we won't know for 10 years, if ever.

This site is dedicated to a piston powered car with a powerplant so incredibly different it's not even worth comparing the two on that level. The 7.3sec Pro Stock pass may be the fastest IMPORT pass. The Mustang Pro Stock class is well into the 6's. Car vs car, for the money, the Mustang is superior. It's why the Mustang is still here and the RX7 is not.
Old 12-22-2001, 11:49 AM   #48
Kevin Price
Registered Member

Ahhh, another import debate. Think this one has gone on long enough, I'm blue in the face from just reading.

My Car
Closed Thread