MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-12-2001, 06:36 PM   #41
HP Freak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Skyman
HP-Freak

If you want to see some stock and close to stock 4.6 4V cobras putting down that kind of HP goto

www.jmschips.com

Theres a good amount of them there to look at.

Skyler
Skyman- Linky no worky

96SNAKE-"hyperpathetic" - LMAO. I hear ya.

Guys, I am not a disbeliever, I just dont see tossing on the blower with those numbers. With other goodies sure. Let me do that search thingy. Thanks guys.

1969 Camaro Z/28

1993 LX 5.0

Photopoint sucks!
HP Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 06:53 PM   #42
96SNAKE
Registered Member

I'm looking for that jmschips site too.. No wait, I found it

www.jmschip.com

Like I said, if the Cobras are like mine or really all they need is an Xpipe or Hpipe and their in business with those numbers with a blower. If you want completely bare bones stock down to the filter and no little mods then you are talking 380 to 400rwhp with blower at 6lbs. I'm not sure about the 99+. Figure another 15/20hp or so. The stock h pipe with cats is the biggest killer of power on the DOHC's, especially with blowers..oh boy.

(96Cobra/softtop- Black&Tan, 3.73,almdrvsht,fancontrl,steeda sbfrmes,r-LCA's&shifter,eibachspgs,KYB's,FR-upper arms,Y2K Cobra R's,pulleys,Bassani X pipe(cats gutted),C&L 80mm,Stage 2 Clutch, polished intake and cam covers etc.. last dyno w/cats on-287rwhp.

93 Ford Probe Gt 4.39 stock gears and K&N (slower but turns)

2001 Green Ninja ZX6R

Last edited by 96SNAKE; 12-12-2001 at 07:22 PM..
96SNAKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 07:03 PM   #43
HP Freak
Registered Member

Those numbers sound more realistic for an otherwise stock motor.

1969 Camaro Z/28

1993 LX 5.0

Photopoint sucks!
Old 12-12-2001, 07:16 PM   #44
96SNAKE
Registered Member

It 's all relative to what the particular person means by all stock motor.. I consider my motor stock, as it has never been touched. I just never considered pulleys, h/xpipes or mass air meters to be motor related. I don't think the blower guys can run pulleys so that's out but everything else is open to them..

I guess it goes back to my 5.0 days. Now there was a car that I would refer to as "not stock motored". The heads, intake, pistons and crank etc were worked.

I'm off to the Eagles MB..

(96Cobra/softtop- Black&Tan, 3.73,almdrvsht,fancontrl,steeda sbfrmes,r-LCA's&shifter,eibachspgs,KYB's,FR-upper arms,Y2K Cobra R's,pulleys,Bassani X pipe(cats gutted),C&L 80mm,Stage 2 Clutch, polished intake and cam covers etc.. last dyno w/cats on-287rwhp.

93 Ford Probe Gt 4.39 stock gears and K&N (slower but turns)

2001 Green Ninja ZX6R
96SNAKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 08:56 PM   #45
rbatson

Quote:
Originally posted by HP Freak
As for my bud with the 98' LS1, he has a Vortech blower with the aftercooler
Now this makes ALOT more sense to me.. you didn't mention the aftercooler before..

The 464 figure is indeed a flywheel figure and it is on a 99+ cobra with the 'blower kit' which comes with a chip and fuel pump (as does the ls1 kit). I already posted the link.. http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/.../appguide.html

I'm not flaming you at all... I also have respect for the ls1, it is good ole pushrod power. There is alot of potential in the cobra though, it shocked the heck out of me when I saw what it could do with a blower. I could push the red line past 7k with the cobra(n/a) I had, it flows really well and a blower magnifies this fact. Though I have hear and seen what a blower can do to the dohc engine, the pistons are the culprit. Why, Oh Why did they give this car a forged crank but not forged pistons?!
Old 12-12-2001, 08:56 PM   #46
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Default Aluminum Heads

That was my mistake. I had tried to remember, and aluminum did ring a bell, I just couldn't find any information on it quick enough, so I decided to post a worst case scenerio.

Running a 10.5:1 engine with 9psi of boost is asking for trouble, even if you CAN do it. You can do a lot of things, but not everybody is going to be lucky.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 09:40 PM   #47
HP Freak
Registered Member

Thats why I came here........to learn. I had no clue that the DOHC motor could be so responsive.

To be fair though, you are comparing a V-2 and a V-9 blower. Thats at least 3 psi difference there. I would like to see the rating with the same blower on the LS1.

Still impresses me. That is alot of potential out of that motor for sure.

1969 Camaro Z/28

1993 LX 5.0

Photopoint sucks!
Old 12-12-2001, 09:58 PM   #48
LeadSled1
Registered Member

Most of your higher end blower kits for the LT1/LS1 include and aftercooler/intercooler. This is a must due to the compression. I've noticed alot of the Mustang guys don't have alot of info on intercoolers. With the same amount of boost you can make up to 100rwhp more by using a intercooler.

The Vortech kit for the LS1 is a 9psi kit complete with aftercooler. Rwhp vs Rwhp the DOHC motor is going to put out better numbers on boost but the LS1s have a decent curve to them. I watched a LS1 with incons at 6psi running traps of 125mph at Cecil about a month ago. The only other mod on the car was a clutch. He was running high 11s on 2.4 60's (stock tires).

Also, on a L98 motor I went from 100mph to 109mph with less than 4psi of boost. A car with a restrictive intake but good cubes and ehaust will gain a lot off of small boost. This forces air through the restrictive intake. If your exhaust is restrictive too than you will not see as much of a gain.

The LS1s love boost but in their stock configuration they can not handle a lot of it. Due to the fewer head bolts than the LT1s they suffer from lifting heads and blowing gaskets like the 5.0s.
LeadSled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 10:09 PM   #49
rbatson

They are both SQ trim blowers, S for the trim level and Q for the quiet S trim. I really don't know what the V-2 or V-9 mean specifically but the V stands for Vortech and I'm under the impression that the -2 and -9 are just some sort of production number(I could be wrong). The A-trim was thier first blower and it is the V-1 A.

You will notice that the cobra has more boost and I believe that this is due to the compression in the engines. We want reliable combos and the cobra can handle alittle more reliably than the ls1 because the cobra only has 9.85:1 compression. You add an aftercooler and you can add more boost because it cools the charge and the heat is what damages an engine(burnt pistons and/or blown gaskets).

Then again, maybe it has something to do with the extra 1000rpm the cobra has on the top end.. but more boost is always just a pulley away