MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2001, 12:19 AM   #21
jonnyk
Being stroked is great

Those RX7's aren't the fastest things in the world stock, but you know the potential of factory turbo cars....
There was one here last year running 13.2's at 109 mph in the 1/4 and was quiet doing it.

Mods Pics
Old 12-16-2001, 12:29 AM   #22
95mustanggt
Registered Member

I know that RX-7's have some potential, but this guy driving this car = 10 + seconds in the 1/8th. My opinion is that the guy could not drive, but I don't know the whole story. I don't know what he had done to the car or anything. I just know that he couldn't get into the 9's.

Thanks for the intelligent input SCREX, you seem really cool, I hope you stick around and contribute here. We could all learn some things from you.

bigtime1148 with the redneck talk or whatever, go back to reading rice magazines and playing with your barbies.

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
Old 12-16-2001, 08:18 AM   #23
SuperchargedRex
Registered Member

Default You're welcome, and thanks!

Quote:
Originally posted by 95mustanggt
Thanks for the intelligent input SCREX, you seem really cool, I hope you stick around and contribute here. We could all learn some things from you.
Thanks for the invite. My temperment comes with age and experience, I'm not your typical 20-something riceboy RX-7 owner. I've been driving for over 20 years, and have had the pleasure to experience a lot of different cars, and understand their potential in both stock and modified states. Fundamentally, I'm a car nut, and I understand that all the same basic principals apply if you want to go fast, regardless of what type of car you drive. I also think that a lot of the import guys could learn a lot from the "old school" technology: nitrous, superchargers, turbochargers, bore and stroke, gearing; its all been done before so why re-invent the wheel? Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now.
Old 12-16-2001, 01:09 PM   #24
RAGE_5.0
Registered Member

1969mach1
Quote:
I will get laughed at when I take my car up to the track
lets meet at the track and run each other our first runs so we look stupid at the same time
this spring will be my first trip to the strip
i'm gonna buy some et streets to ease the pain
Old 12-17-2001, 11:43 AM   #25
302 LX Eric
or '331 LX Eric'

SuperchargedRex - welcome to the board!

Overall, I love the stlying of the late model RX-7's. However, for the reasons stated above, I would not purchase one. The whole "no-piston" thing is just cool. I need to surf over to one of the RX-7 sites to learn about them. Neat stuff, if you ask me.

At our local track we have a beautiful red RX-7 that is there quite often. The owner seems pretty cool. He's put alot of money in the stereo, HUGE exhaust tip, awesome wheels, boost gauges, etc, etc. Anyways, I have seen him race on many occasions and I have not seen him crack into the 13's once. Each time I see him at the track I think that he has got to get into the 13's this time...but still can't. Not sure why. But his car is always very clean, has a nice stereo and some wheels that probably cost as much as my future ProCharger!

Take it easy,
E

331 cu. in. / Tremec 3550 / BFG Drag Radials

12.22 @ 114.31 mph - w/1.89 60'
Old 12-17-2001, 11:35 PM   #26
RevinRx7
Registered Member

I am from the NoPistons.com forum and they have this thread posted up there for us to view and i thought that i would just maybe say a few things about our cars.

-First your guys cars a great and all, but... about the 80 to 110 race, RX-7's are geared more for 0-60 times because of my next point.
-RX-7's are geared that way because they were ment more to be a track racing car than a drag car, in which your car accels at..
-A BIG reason RX-7's failed was because MAZDA dealers didn't have advanced technology enough to support them, something that no offense to anyone, hasn't been said about domestics.
-Another thing is that rotaries throw out a lot more harmfull emissions than you guys which is an accounting reason for their being slow stock.
- ANd last, just a little thorn in your side. The Siguel racing RX-7 is the world's quickest Pro Class Racer with a 7.33@ 179 m.p.h defeating the Hoyos Racing Ford Focus (with the mustang engine in it) with i must say a too close 7.389@ 189.1m.p.h. Yikes. Maybe next year guys!
Old 12-17-2001, 11:38 PM   #27
RevinRx7
Registered Member

P.S. Us turboed RX-7's get 59 HP out of a down pipe back exhuast. Muhhahahha
Old 12-17-2001, 11:58 PM   #28
fastang
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RevinRx7
P.S. Us turboed RX-7's get 59 HP out of a down pipe back exhuast. Muhhahahha
Yeah....and they STILL wont pull a 13 jk. Turbo cars always have a lot of potential. They come with a crutch from the factory. Wish I had the TDC twin turbo kit on my stang. Stage III can easily yeild 1200 hp as long as the seals hold
old car: 95GT, TFS T.W. heads, Holley Intake, B303 cam, FRPP 30lb injectors, Scorpion 1.6 rollers, 65mm TB, 73mm MAF, BBK Longtubes, Flowmaster cat back, March Pulleys, MSD coil, 9mm wires, Tremec 3550 trans, Pro5.0 shifter,10.5 Motorsport clutch, FMS aluminum driveshaft, weld in subframe connectors. 190lph pump, BBK adj FPR.
Old 12-18-2001, 11:16 PM   #29
Unit 5302
Registered Member

The emissions is a definate problem with the rotory engine. Actually, efficiency in general. Displacement vs fuel usage is pretty nuts. Of course the power to displacement is pretty huge as well. The RX7 doesn't actually get what I'd consider good fuel economy for a 2800lb car. My 3050lb Mustang 5.0 gets 19-21/27-29. Not too shabby for the equivelent in hp. We get 40hp from H pipe, exhaust, and timing, and removed silencer. I think one of the important things to note is the expense of the RX7's exhaust too though. Hehe.

With twin sequential turbocharging 255hp out of 1.3L. If you drop it back to N/A, however, it becomes a lot less impressive.

Snowmobiles played with the wankel engine concept back in the early 70's. Ton's of advancements have allowed the rotory engine to get to it's peak, starting off from being humbled by the piston engines, even in terms of hp to displacement.

I will have to agree on the RX7 looking badass though. Other than a simple to fix cooling problem, if left alone you can expect relatively good reliability out of them from what I've been told. You'll never get the long term 160,000mi performance like my car has though.

You could argue back and forth all day. I could say that while factory turbo cars have great potential, we can add a $4k turbo kit, set it very conservative and make 450hp easy. Both cars have their strong and weak points.

PS. About the gearing comment, lol, don't even want to go there when comparing to a 5.0 Mustang. 2.73's and a wide ratio 5spd. LOL.

What did bigtime say? My browser doesn't support "RicerMagazine" text, and I don't feel like downloading the plug in.
Old 12-20-2001, 09:53 PM   #30
Paluka21
Registered Member

Quote:
I am from the NoPistons.com forum and they have this thread posted up there for us to view and i thought that i would just maybe say a few things about our cars.

-First your guys cars a great and all, but... about the 80 to 110 race, RX-7's are geared more for 0-60 times because of my next point.
is an accounting reason for their being slow stock.
- ANd last, just a little thorn in your side. The Siguel racing RX-7 is the world's quickest Pro Class Racer with a 7.33@ 179 m.p.h defeating the Hoyos Racing Ford Focus (with the mustang engine in it) with i must say a too close 7.389@ 189.1m.p.h. Yikes. Maybe next year guys!
Hmm, I always thought it was the other way around? Could be wrong here but I beleived the Rx7's esp. the 3rd gens were geared well for the 80-100 race, rather than the 0-60. if they were meant to be a 0-60 car then why not more torque? I had a few friends w/ them and they just wasnt impressive to say the least out of the hole shot. They were pretty quick from a roll however, and this is where I could actually see the car shine.
BTW, a 7.33,,pretty fast eh? esp 179mph, however the focus seems to have more potential with 189mph wouldnt you say? besides I dont think your "one race theory" here stands a chance when thinking rationally..LOL, I can name many times an Rx7 would lose to a mustang. BTW is that the fastest Pro Race class rx7? Might wanna check out pro 5.0 mustang class, which runs actual mustangs with mustang motors, and heavier than most rx7 track cars. Last I checked these cars were well into the 6.8's@ over 200mph, maybe faster but I havent checked back on them in a few months...LMAO
whatever dude Rx7's are a decent car, but they are NOT everything nor the greatest, maybe thats one of the reasons the WANKLE RX7 ( eghem) motored cars wasn't brought back into the U.S? Overpriced? unreliable? you tell me? And btw your not gonna win an import arguement on a mustang board coming over here posting 7.3 ET numbers from an Rx7 and laughing at how much your downpipe give your cars. I would be willing to be if I had a stock set of headers on my supercharged cobra that a set of long tube headers, equivalent to your downpipe would give me just as much hp and torque gain as your modification did.
Compare apples to apples not oranges to apples.
later
Dan
95 rio red cobra #2021
Old 12-20-2001, 09:54 PM   #31
ricekilla
Registered Member

come on! havent you guys seen fast and the furious? i'll bet with dominic behind the wheel that mofo would be untouchable....
89 GT, 3.55's, longtubes, pro chamber, flowpath dumps, mac uppers and lowers+ pinion snubber, underdrive pullies, 70mm t-body, 190 lph penis pump, mildly home ported E7'S by the kid hisself, nitto drag radials..... 13.4 @ 106......... on nitto drag raidials. spinning like gangbusters......

chevy silverado w/ a full works suzuki RM 250 and a full works honda fourtrax 250R (girlfriends bike) in the back, moto x'in it up bro!
Old 12-21-2001, 01:08 AM   #32
RevinRx7
Registered Member

Like i tried to say before i didn't mean to put down anyone's car i just wanted to throw in my two cents. while yes our cars are not the best car in the world no, but I'm not trying to win anything in the mustang forum because that would be stupid to think that. I just don't want you guys thinking that any rx-7 you pull up to is gonna lose without a strong fight. And by the way about Paluka21's coments here. hmm how much did you pay for your car? and tell me when has mazda stopped producing the rotary engine? And oops i forgot what car is coming in 2003??? OHHHH! The RX-8 which has solved the emissions problems and has about ohh 245 hp naturally aspirated. while i will admit this engine has low torgue it will have a red line double yours. If i had a triple rotor thrown in my car its still a little under a 2liter engine that has a hell of a lot more torque. Mazda was the long time winner at Le Mans too with its quad rotor.
And acorrding to the august issue of TURBO Magazine, yes the RX-7 is the QUICKEST PRO STREET RACER.
My last point before i rationalize is MOST american companies researched the rotary engine in thought of replacing the piston engine for example GM had plans for a quad rotor corvette.

Sorry about venting but i had to get my points across to paluka.
the last thing i have to say is
Any car that you put money into can be fast. and there is always someone out there who is faster than you.
Old 12-21-2001, 08:13 AM   #33
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

To be honest, I really don't understand how this thread has become such a debate. All aports cars have areas in which they excel. But its up to the driver to bring out the beast in it. I mean, you give a Viper to an SUV driving soccer mom, and you may be seeing 10s in the 1/8 with a lot of damage to the fenders as she sideswipes the rails down the track...

To be honest, a car as hyped as the RX-7, to go out to the track and get beaten by a stock dually truck... You deserve to get laughed at... period. I don't think any less of the car, but I'm gonna snicker at the driver....

Hell, I have the horsepower for a high 11-low 12 timeslip, and I was out there running equivelent to a 13.0 in the quarter....
Why?

1. Driver!
Its harder than you think to launch 380 at the wheels on 3.73s

2. Traction!
Good luck finding any traction at all in 1st or 2nd when you're still using stock size street tires and stock control arms. (2.2 60 foots are not impressive)

So what's my point?
You go to the track to see where you and your vehicle have problems and come back another day. And on that day the RX-7 sucked... period. No amount of "Well look at what so and so did with their RX-7.." can argue with a time slip

Run what you brung and deal with the result...

Have a nice day...
Old 12-21-2001, 09:14 AM   #34
302 LX Eric
or '331 LX Eric'

Since we're on the subject of RX-7's, I got a question for the RX-7 guru's: My aunt has a 10th anniversary edition RX-7. It's all white, white wheels even. Sharp car, extremely clean with less than 20,000 miles on the dial. Anyways, we've talked a few times about who would win in a drag race between her RX-7 and my little 91 Coupe. She insists that she will roast me...I just don't think so.

So what does the 10th anniversary RX-7 run? I really don't know anything about the engine, except that I am pretty sure it has a turbo (I think).

E

331 cu. in. / Tremec 3550 / BFG Drag Radials

12.22 @ 114.31 mph - w/1.89 60'
Old 12-21-2001, 10:53 AM   #35
Hyper92GT
slow like mud

Eric,
Compared to your car the 10th ann.is a joke. 14.8-15.2 at maybe 94mph. It is basically a turbo II with 188hp, only heavier with all the options. It is a nice car, I was looking at buying one.
Race for fun, but it will not even be close.
Old 12-21-2001, 11:06 AM   #36
Paluka21
Registered Member

Quote:
Like i tried to say before i didn't mean to put down anyone's car i just wanted to throw in my two cents. while yes our cars are not the best car in the world no, but I'm not trying to win anything in the mustang forum because that would be stupid to think that. I just don't want you guys thinking that any rx-7 you pull up to is gonna lose without a strong fight. And by the way about Paluka21's coments here. hmm how much did you pay for your car? and tell me when has mazda stopped producing the rotary engine? And oops i forgot what car is coming in 2003??? OHHHH! The RX-8 which has solved the emissions problems and has about ohh 245 hp naturally aspirated. while i will admit this engine has low torgue it will have a red line double yours. If i had a triple rotor thrown in my car its still a little under a 2liter engine that has a hell of a lot more torque. Mazda was the long time winner at Le Mans too with its quad rotor.
And acorrding to the august issue of TURBO Magazine, yes the RX-7 is the QUICKEST PRO STREET RACER.
My last point before i rationalize is MOST american companies researched the rotary engine in thought of replacing the piston engine for example GM had plans for a quad rotor corvette.

Sorry about venting but i had to get my points across to paluka.
the last thing i have to say is
Any car that you put money into can be fast. and there is always someone out there who is faster than you.
I think you should really take the time to read my first post more carefully, THEN post your remarks. IF you read my first post carefully, I did not state ALL rotary motors, I just said the RX7 wankle car is not brought into the U.S anymore, mainly because of inreliability, and overpriced japanese expectations. That could be my opinion, but it seems logical why there aren't more rotary motors, and alot of piston motors. And dont try to tell me the rotary motor is new cause its not, it has been in existence since when? before WWII? You can use all the excuses in the world, but they still don't seem feasable. What happened to the supra? same thing that happened w/ the RX7. You are not talking to an ignorant car enthusiast here, I may not know everything about my competition, however I do know enough.
Rx8 eh? who really cares about where it redlines...LMAO is that supossed to make it a supercar or something? It NEEDS to redline that high to make any kind of power, and I DOUBT seriously it doubles my redline..lol. Maybe YOU should do some more reasearch on piston motors to know what your dealing with there bud. For example the DOHC cobra 4.6 motor redlines at 7K, so does that mean that this RX8's redline is at 14K? And that makes it a faster, better car? ( sorry but this is how you are coming across )
Ok, you want to compare pricing? how much do you really think I paid for my car back in 1995? Man I guess you think its more than your rx7 eh? Sticker price was $24.5, and I have a total of around $31K in the car. Supecharger, intercooler, aluminum heads, cam, exhaust, gears. Heck not too bad, I and I am pretty darn close to 500rwhp with this little bit of mods. And don't tell me for a second that the RX7 is cheaply modified, cause its not. Then again, most cars arent, but you see my point.
Yeah yeah, you could have a 3 rotor under your hood and make this amount of torque..but know what YOU DONT! So, dont refer to it if you don't have it. And if your trying to compare the 1.3L engine to a 5.0L engine, cmon I already told you " compare apples to apples not apples to oranges." A rotary motor at 1.3L cannot be compared to a 5.0, or 4.6, or even a 5.7L motor with pistons. They are two different concepts as I'm sure you know and need to be weighed differently, what scale are they weighed on, who knows? But that 1.3L bogus **** doesn't really fly in my opinion. They also come with twin turbos that make up a HUGE difference, and weight an ungodly 2800lbs..so we can throw in all the factors, but I dont really care to.
And yes your TURBO magazine might tell you one thing, but I'm not a magazine racer if you know what I mean. I guess this pro circuit or whatever your referring to must be compact cars or something, Im not real familiar with it, and yes I admit that I am not. Just seems odd that a lighter focus w/ a mustang motor can only muster a 7.3, when heavier larger cars with the same motor are cracking down mid 6's or so @ well over 200mph.
And yes I remember hearing about the Vette trying to get the rotary motor, either way it didnt, so thats not really a logical argument either. hell, for all of this, I can say that , "well, the 4.6L cobra could have gotten the 5.4L supercharged motor that cranks out over 550hp" but it didnt, so Im not gonna try to use this point, kinda pointless. BTW why didn't chevy use the rotary motor? did they have trouble getting the rights to it? I thought I remembered hearing thats what it was, but who knows?
All in all, you can still come over here in your passive aggressive attitude and say your not trying to put down a mustang, or say your not trying to make an RX7 look better, cause im my opinion, and most others they are not. If we wanted an Rx7, or really wanted to know "everything" about them we would either own one instead of our mustang ( well those of us who would throw down the cash to buy a used 93- that are still overpriced ) or we could go out and do research on them ourselves. Ive had the luxury of hearing about these cars for the last few years and my friends ranted and ravved about them. Guess what, The three guys who've owned the 3rd gens, no longer do! Two of the threes motors grenaded at low milage. I beleive the apex seal went in one of the motors possibly throwing chunks of metal into the turbos, so their prolly shot, the other guy's turbos went out early and had to have a replacement motor put in the car before this even happened. he sold it cause of too many repairs and just inconvenience. The other guy blew his motor up as well, and had the most modifications out of the three.
So, after me saying this, it may help to just save your breath on something more important than this topic, because no matter what you say there is always something that I or we can come back with, cause we are comparing oranges to apples, but this comparison does have a few things is common.
later
Dan
95 rio red cobra #2021

Last edited by Paluka21; 12-21-2001 at 11:16 AM..
Old 12-21-2001, 11:22 AM   #37
Paluka21
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 302 LX Eric
Since we're on the subject of RX-7's, I got a question for the RX-7 guru's: My aunt has a 10th anniversary edition RX-7. It's all white, white wheels even. Sharp car, extremely clean with less than 20,000 miles on the dial. Anyways, we've talked a few times about who would win in a drag race between her RX-7 and my little 91 Coupe. She insists that she will roast me...I just don't think so.

So what does the 10th anniversary RX-7 run? I really don't know anything about the engine, except that I am pretty sure it has a turbo (I think).

E
13.1's@106? LOL it won't even be close, you will destroy your aunt's car from anywhere she wants to race you, a roll, stop, whatever, cept maybe in the twisties. I think its time to go out and embarass her.
You have a high 12 second car there on slicks, cause mine went 13.1@106 on drag radials, 17" that is, and high 12's on 16" drag radials with a higher side wall and lower 60'. So your stang isn't a push over my any means.
later
Dan
Old 12-21-2001, 01:20 PM   #38
Mach351C
Registered Member

YA ok this is hillarious, umm im not even going to get in this. But i am going to give you guys a website i saw or maybe 2.
http://www.mazdarx7.com/
http://www.nutsandvolts.com/rx7/
i hope this will help, but i think were already to deep in the discusion. lol
Old 12-21-2001, 01:30 PM   #39
Paluka21
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mach351C
YA ok this is hillarious, umm im not even going to get in this. But i am going to give you guys a website i saw or maybe 2.
http://www.mazdarx7.com/
http://www.nutsandvolts.com/rx7/
i hope this will help, but i think were already to deep in the discusion. lol
Hmm, I'm beginning to think we have some trolls on this board? All of a sudden we get a post about Rx7's and a few newcomers pop outta nowhere, showing rx7 stats and claiming to drive mustangs or whatever.
If you do have the 72 mach one, more power to ya! Either way I dont really care, I just think its funny defending an rx7 to the hilt on a mustang message board.
I alway said they are nice looking cars and pretty fast and handle decent too, just unreliable in their 3rd generation form it seems.
got any more cool stats? LOL
Old 12-21-2001, 02:02 PM   #40
Mach351C
Registered Member

I totally agrea with you paluka, do not take my last post as like i was defending the rx7. I totally think the rx7 is unreliable. I have the mustang i can even show you a pic of me in it if you wanted, but do not take it that I am here to defend other cars or anything, I love the mustang and it will forever be my favorite car. I dont know why you drew these conclusions of defending a rx7? In fact all i did was give 2 website's that i searched for at altavista.com

EDIT. oh yah and if you dont beleive i have a mach 1 check the users rides section i put 2 pictures of the car at my house there. thank you

Last edited by Mach351C; 12-21-2001 at 02:18 PM..
Closed Thread