MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2001, 01:34 AM   #1
Skyman
I need 110mph Trap Speed!

Post Going to race a moddem LT1...

A guy I know in town challenged me to a race. He has a 1993 LT1 Camaro. He just bought it from a guy. I don't know a lot about it, but he said "400hp" "built motor" "roll cage" "lots of guages".

I saw the car the other day, its definatly nice, has a full roll cage, and big subframes underneath, with a custom 3" exhaust job coming out the back that sounds nice! I saw him get on it and it looked quick.

Im thinkin if it really needs the roll cage it must have run 11's. But Im thinkin it was 11's on NOS, because of the guages?

So we will see...

Im running slicks though

SKy

------------------
-1989 Saleen Mustang #406- TFS Heads, E-303, edelbrock intake,70MM TB, 73mm MAF, off road H, headers and 3chamber flows.
12.55@107mph
Going for 11's on 87 octane with A/C and 20+MPG!!!
Old 04-23-2001, 09:36 AM   #2
SkarodoM
Registered Member

Cool

Hey sky...

It REALLY depends on what he's done... find out =P

Also.. if the cage's doorbars make it a PITA to get in and out of the car b/c theyre legal (go btwn shoulder and elbow) instead of parallel to the ground and around as*-level... Well then it isnt a cheapie rollbar for looks *probably*, and the guy actually IS concerned about legality. Thats what ive seen anyway.

if ya could find out.. i could tell ya more hehe

Phil
Jerico Performance
Old 04-23-2001, 09:56 AM   #3
FivepointOH
Registered Member

Get that 125 shot and tear him a new one!

------------------
92 AOD GT, K&N, ram air, pulleys, 2 ch. flowmasters, 4:10's, shift kit, 1 5/8 mac longtubes and offroad hpipe 14.249 @ 97.34 mph before the headers and hpipe
Old 04-23-2001, 01:02 PM   #4
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

Kick his *ss SeeBass!
Old 04-23-2001, 05:24 PM   #5
fastang
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by StoplightWarrior:
Kick his *ss SeeBass!
lol Gotta love the Dumb and Dumber quote.

I think you can take him sky. Rollbars on the street are usualy for looks. Let us know how it goes! By the way, I just ordered 30lb injectors and a 190 pump so Im going back to Carlsbad as soon as I tune it up, if you want to go. Or maybe I can meet you at Famoso?

------------------
95GT B303 cam, 1.7 rockers, 65mm TB, 73mm MAF, milled heads, 355's K&N, BBK Longtubes, Flowmaster cat back, pulleys, msd coil, 9mm wires, Tremec 3550, Pro5.0 shifter,10.5 Motorsport clutch, FMS aluminum driveshaft, weld in subframe connectors
Old 04-23-2001, 11:10 PM   #6
StreetRacin89Stang
Registered Member

I raced a yellow SN-95 mustang with 18's and a saleen kit that was f*ing loud and had a matching yellow roll cage. This thing was frigging slow must have been running mid 14's cuz i walked by him easily. He had racing seats and two girls in the car, kinda felt bad for humilliating him.

------------------
89 5.0 GT White w/Blue Racing Stripes
K&N, 73mm Mass Air, Ported and Polished Stock Heads, E303 Cam, MAC equal Length Headers, Off Road H-Pipe, Borla Mufflers, 3.73's Sway Bars, Strut Tower Brace, Subframe Connectors, Eibach Springs, Koni Adjustables/Reds, Pony 5 Stars, 1000 Watt JL Audio System, No P/S , No Smog Pump
Old 04-23-2001, 11:31 PM   #7
Rev
Registered Member

Hey Sky, sounds like your car is runnin best as ever lately. He's new to his car, you're not. Put it on that mofo, at least by a few tenths. That's my opinion.

Rev

------------------
'66 Coupe, 306, 300 HP, C-4, 13.97 e.t., 100.3 mph
1/4 mi.
Old 04-24-2001, 02:13 PM   #8
Skyman

Well I ran into him yesturday, and I asked when were going to race. He seemed to be really cooling off on the idea. I think he's talked to some people around town and they keep telling him hes going to get smoked. I heard from a friend that rode in his car, that I will probably beat it by 4-5 lengths easy.. Turns out its just got, gears, stall, shift kit, exhaust, and a cam.

Im going to race him this week though.

Skyler

------------------
-1989 Saleen Mustang #406- TFS Heads, E-303, edelbrock intake,70MM TB, 73mm MAF, off road H, headers and 3chamber flows.
12.55@107mph
Old 04-24-2001, 02:26 PM   #9
SkarodoM
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by Skyman:
Turns out its just got, gears, stall, shift kit, exhaust, and a cam.
Be careful... a nice auto w/ 3k + stall... if he did a cam swap i'd HOPE he did SOME headwork...

My bud ran 8.29 with only 1-5/8" shorties (shoulda got 1-3/4, crappy stock ypipe too), 3.73's, no porting and a cute lil 'lt4hotcam'.. thats bout 12.6-12.75 on BFG radials.. if he had a stalled auto it woulda be quicker for sure...

I say.. RACE the mofo, either way it should be fun

Phil
Jerico Performance

Old 04-24-2001, 04:37 PM   #10
46stang
Registered Member

you'll beat him sky. your car runs hard. those old dogs mostly sound fast. as for the roll cage, look how many rice cars have a roll cage and very few of them even break out of the 14's. good luck.

------------------
96 stang,ported 99 heads, 99 intake, 99 cams,Steeda power pullies,Kirban adj.reg.,Pro-m 87,24#inj.,70mm t/b,Bassani x-pipe w/cats, Dynomax ultraflow catback,iat mod, home depot ram air, k@n,373's,cobra brakes,fms spings, tri-ax shifter.
Old 04-24-2001, 08:11 PM   #11
SkarodoM
Registered Member

Cool

46stang... lol 'mostly just sound fast' you dont get out much do you

Phil
Jerico Performance
Old 04-24-2001, 10:34 PM   #12
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Those things don't even sound fast.

You're gonna smoke him Sky.

Picking up 1.5sec with gears a cam and headers is unheard of. GM's build quality is second to every one. They couldn't roll two engines off an assembly line within 30hp if their life depended on it.

I've raced several LT-1's. I've never lost. (cept to a 96 Vette running hot with 3 passengers) I'm pretty sure I've never met one LT-1 Fbody that does better than mid 14's on the street.
Old 04-25-2001, 01:43 AM   #13
Skyman

Yeah, Im going to run him this week. Im definatly not taknig it lightly or actually even expecting to win. Im just going to race him on the street tires I guess. We both have traction problems, so if he out powers me up top, let the better car win. I'm anxious to see how an LT1 runs.

Sky

------------------
12.55@107mph
Old 04-25-2001, 08:18 AM   #14
SkarodoM
Registered Member

Cool

Unit.. lol riiiight, been hangin out wherever 46stang has been huh . You want mean sounding? I gots mean sounding

Sky, yeah run the foo' Just depends on whether or not he can drive and what he's done. Some guys run 12's with less than him.. some guys do TONS of stuff and run 14's... methinks a 7yr old girl sitting on phonebooks and playing with her tamagochiwhateverthehelitis could run way better than alot of ppl. *shrug* worked lt1 heads, cam, gear and exh and im in the 11's... n/a... waiting on blower to get back from ATI.. gonna put a hurtin' on that stock shortblock. You'll find out real quick if him and the guy who built it knows what theyre doing or not

Phil
Jerico Performance

Phil
Jerico Performance
Old 04-25-2001, 09:17 AM   #15
46stang
Registered Member

lets be honest phil, most of the knuckle heads on the street put an exhaust on, intake system(k&n), and maybe a cam. you need the whole combo, not just pieces. the lt1's aren't that fast. are all of them 14 sec cars.NO. you can make any car fast with enough $$$$. I have yet to lose to one as well, unit!!!! are there faster lt1's than me? of course, no matter how fast you are there is all ways someone faster. I'm sure a few fords have whipped on you? right phil!

------------------
96 stang,ported 99 heads, 99 intake, 99 cams,Steeda power pullies,Kirban adj.reg.,Pro-m 87,24#inj.,70mm t/b,Bassani x-pipe w/cats, Dynomax ultraflow catback,iat mod, home depot ram air, k@n,373's,cobra brakes,fms spings, tri-ax shifter.
Old 04-25-2001, 10:13 AM   #16
SkarodoM
Registered Member

Cool

I wasnt the one generalizing, YOU were

And just like ignorant chevy guys say 5.0's are slow .. ignorant ford guys say f-bods are. 14sec cars?? lol.. ppl run 13's stock, ppl who can drive worth a damn, ppl who cant run 14's.. same nomatter what car they run. And really.. VERY few fbodies have any mods worth mentioning, BUT the ones that do.. s'like stangs, most i see have cai, pullys and the requisite flows up under em. Either way... why worry about stock cars.. sky's and dudes arent
Some guys cars run strong and they can drive, others cant. If the dude has even a lil girlie 'lt4hotcam', exh and gears, he SHOULD be running 12's.. if he's done more work.. mid/low 12's arent hard to come by. Just hafta know what youre doing. And this, "ive never been beaten by a ___" before... Well ive never been waxed by a stang before... SO? Im NOT generalizing and saying its gonna beat him.. all i was doing was TRYING to give Sky an idea of what it MAY do with a decent driver. With what the guy has it should be deep into the 12's.

What you dont know, may hurt your pride one day

Phil
Jerico Performance
Old 04-25-2001, 10:47 AM   #17
SidiousV
Registered Member

Angry

eh there.

Everyone knows there are quick cars out there, regardless of what make they are. I love the 5.0. But I know there are LT1 cars that are quicker.

And I think it's phuckin' stoopid to say that GM can't roll anything out within 30HP of the next car, in terms of consistancy. How can you say that after the fiasco we just had with the intakes on the Cobra.

Yeah, 5.0 is the shiznit. But it needs to be understood that it doesn't take alot to make a LT1 quicker on the street.

I raced alot of them with my convertible. I ran 12.6's all day long. I managed to beat most, but some how I got taken out by a relatively stock TA. WTF? I still don't know what happened that day. All I can say is there are too many factors involved to be making these gross generalizations.

Peace. have a nice day.
SidV

------------------
"Humans define their reality through misery and suffering..."
How's clever workin' out for ya'?
Old 04-25-2001, 06:35 PM   #18
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Exclamation

Ummmm... I fail to see your point?

All the malfunctioning Cobra's put down the same numbers. A stock LS1 can very by 40hp. That's some serious numbers problems. Anywhere from the freak that dynos at 310rwhp stock, to the guy scratching his head at 280.

GM just can't seem to get any consistancy.

If you think my problems with GM's lack of quality control is "phucking stupid" that's your problem.

I'm tired of hearing about all these "freak" LT-1's and LS-1's. Where are they when I race them, from a roll no less? Damn, if my car pulls off a high 13 I'm having a damn good day, yet I've taken 3 LS1's and too many LT1's to count??? I'm damn near stock. 145k on the odometer, exhuast, and an air filter. Whoop de doo. The last LT1 I ran was super clean, had custom plates that said "TEMPER" and he got the jump when I wasn't ready and I was in the wrong gear behind him. I pulled on him clear till I shifted into 4th gear with 2.73's. He began to even out with me and outpower me then.

I raced a WS6 LS1 convert last fall, I did nothing short of whoop him. Like 3 cars to 70mph. He was cool and waved, but he had the most dumbfounded look on his face, so did his buddy.
Old 04-25-2001, 07:42 PM   #19
SkarodoM
Registered Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Ummmm... I fail to see your point?
No Sh*t

Unit... yeah .. youre right.. the dynos themselves are always spot-on huh

and 'freak' ls1?.. a surprising amount of them roll 300-320rwhp

You rattle off a list of 'kills' ... we're supposed to be impressed? Must feel like god rollin around in that bad to the bone 13sec ride huh.

F*ckit.. try to simply say what another car does when X mods are applied.

SkarodoM

[This message has been edited by SkarodoM (edited 04-25-2001).]
Old 04-26-2001, 10:47 AM   #20
SidiousV
Registered Member

Angry

UNIT....ha ha ha, you must be John Force. You're one of these few guys who can run a moderate car and beat everyone on the road who has something hotter. Interesting. Reminds me of all the stuff I spank in my commuter Sentra E. *LOL*

I'm sorry dude, I don't beleive that you're beating everyone with 2.73's on the back. Just my oppinion. If you are, yer good to 70 or so...then you're getting your butt handed to you. That means yer not winning the 1/4 mile battle. So what are you braggin' about?

My point with the Cobra is that if Ford says it makes 320 HP, then it should make 320 HP. Having to recall every freakin' car is unexcuseable when it's your line's premium car. Rediculous. As a 5.0 enthusiast, and frankly someone with a helluva' lot more car than you *LOL* (j/k), it was embarressing when that whole fiasco happened. And it still goes on with all the tire recalls to the explorer and Navigator. I think, pretty sure, those are all quality issues. Noone's perfect. You know how it is. Leave the stone's on the ground if you're living in your own lil glass house. Neither GM nor Ford are perfect. I think there were 3 recalls on my fox body....cats, ignition switch, fog switch. Wow...that's quality.

I do admire you in that you are honest about your feelings with regard to your timeslips. And yes, I agree, most Camaro owners just go with the "Token" upgrades, but you blatantly slam GM as if you're brainwashed, when in reality you're not watching the whole picture. You're competitive with these cars, but you don't blow their doors off, as you would like to suggest.

*L*

Oh well.....just my oppinions.

Have a nice day.

My point with the
Closed Thread