MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-10-2001, 01:29 PM   #21
DaTank
Registered Member

When I lived in Tacoma, WA I got a speeding ticket. My friend told me about a lawyer that charged 200 dollars. He charged you if he got the ticket thrown out and didn't charge you if he couldn't. Needless to say, on my court day, before the jugde even came in he talked to him in his office and had it thrown out. He did know the judge, I paid the 200 bucks, and that was it.

I don't know if there is more lawyers like that around the country for traffic violations, but it is something to look into.
Brad

------------------
1991 Mustang GT Conv.
Removed silencer, K&N air filter, Cobra manifold, 65mm TB,
Adjustable fuel pressure regulator, 180 thermo., Mac headers,
High flow H-pipe, Force II W/2 chamber Flowmaster,
Hurst Shifter, 3.55 gears, subframes

DaTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2001, 02:51 PM   #22
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

Thank you guys for all your help! I'll keep you updated on what happens. Thanks.

------------------
3:55's,BBK Off-Road H-pipe,BBK jet-hot coated equal length shorty headers,BBK 70mm Throttle Body,BBK adjustable clutch quadrant,C & L 76mm Mass air meter, PRO 5.0, Subframe connectors, Cobra R's 17x9 w/ 245's,Trick Flow Intake,Flowmaster Force II exhaust system, Super Duty T5,Centerforce II Clutch,Heavy Duty Radiator,9mm Ford racing plug wires,Accel cap and Rotor, moroso battery relocation kit, strut tower brace, 4 inch harwood cool hood, autometer phantom gauges

http://www.geocities.com/i8ur
1BAD89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2001, 01:09 PM   #23
Speeyuk
Registered Member

Sorry to hear about your ticket, bro. Lawyers are there for a reason, and even if he can't get it thrown out, it will allow you to argue your case without you yourself looking like a punk kid who thihnks he knows the law. Cause that's what they think, I've been there.
Speeyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2001, 01:40 PM   #24
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

speeYUK what kind of car youd drive, your from tulsa right? Yeah I called a lawyer but he wasn't a traffic lawyer, and he was like well a lawyer is going to charge you 500-1000 to stand there and he really can't do anything, it's up to the judge, and then he went into if it was in a school zone etc... you'd have to have a lawyer. So I don't know, I go next Thursday so... Thanks for all your input.

------------------
3:55's,BBK Off-Road H-pipe,BBK jet-hot coated equal length shorty headers,BBK 70mm Throttle Body,BBK adjustable clutch quadrant,C & L 76mm Mass air meter, PRO 5.0, Subframe connectors, Cobra R's 17x9 w/ 245's,Trick Flow Intake,Flowmaster Force II exhaust system, Super Duty T5,Centerforce II Clutch,Heavy Duty Radiator,9mm Ford racing plug wires,Accel cap and Rotor, moroso battery relocation kit, strut tower brace, 4 inch harwood cool hood, autometer phantom gauges

Old 07-14-2001, 01:41 PM   #25
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Exclamation

Don't waste your time with a lawyer. Quite frankly, they are worthless in the courtroom vs traffic citations. I've seen at least 10 instances with a lawyer present for a traffic violation, not one SINGLE incident has ever been anything but guilty.

You won't see a judge at your first visit. You'll have an arraignment where you talk to a prosecutor. If you have a lawyer there, and he knows the other lawyer, he may get a little slack, but it's very very doubtful. It'll be one favor for another. (You plead guilty, they reduce it, you still get fucked)Bottom line, you wern't racing.

Here's what you want to do. Talk to the prosecutor at the arraignment. Tell him what really happend. You weren't racing, and if you were, you would have killed that crappy pile 'o Camaro. Tell him you certainly weren't over the speed limit (that ticket is very weak if it's only got that little tidbit written on it), and that just because a car fly's past you doesn't mean you were racing it. Harass the police department. Make sure you get a copy of the officers written report on the incident. He MUST have that document to refer to as the traffic citation isn't worth **** for memory. The officer should have written up the incident at the end of his shift, or soon afterwards so he could use that as a refresher when court time rolls around. Get a copy, and harass the cop shop until you do. If they don't release it to you, tell the prosecutor that you have been asking for it, name off people that you have spoken with at the police department in an effort to obtain that document, and when you called/dropped in, and that you really would like to see it. They MUST by law let you have that document. If they don't, it's withholding evidence.

My best guess is the ******* doughnut eatin, flatfooted, overweight, under brained, powertrip with a nightstick either didn't write up anything worth crap, or there will be so many holes in his document that it'll be worthless.

Memorize that thing, if it exists, and find every conceivable hole in it. Make sure you know more about the cops testimony than the cop does. If the prosecutor claims the officer said something that you know wasn't on the document, point that out to him at the arraignment. Say you have a copy of the document the officer is using, and he doens't make any references to that? How would the officer remember? He makes 20 stops a day, and it's been weeks since then. You'll blow a hole 10 miles wide in the case with that.

Here's the truth, prosecutors do NOT like to lose. They really HATE wasting their time, the judges time, and other people's time with a case that doens't hold water. Did they catch the other party? If not, they are way in **** creek. If they did, try to get to the other party first, let them know that you are going to plead not guilty, because you weren't really racing.

If you get an ******* hick prosecutor and he doesn't see it your way at all, ask for some time to consult a lawyer, and reschedule a brief meeting before the trial itself, it actually goes to trial, and the prosecutor is an *** and doesn't listen. Go ahead and see what the lawyer can do for you. I don't think it'll do you any good, but take all the odds you can get.

This post may be a little disorganized, but I've beaten the ticket you have before.

The prosecutor didn't have any info on me when I showed up for the arraignment, all he had was the citation. He literally asked "Why are you here?" I had to point it out to him on the ticket. He then told me the three possibilities for what would happen based on my story, since the cop is rarely there for the arraignment.

#1 If what you say is true, we'll be dismissing the case.
#2 If the officer that wrote you the ticket isn't the officer that actually witnessed the event, we'll be dismissing.
#3 If the officer really said that ("All I have to go on is what the other officer said he thought he saw." ticketing officer), we'll be dismissing.
#4 If I don't get some more evididence very soon, we'll be dismissing.

Anyway you look at it, we'll pretty much be dismissing.

Good luck, man.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2001, 06:12 PM   #26
exgmguy
Registered Member

Unit 5302: That all sounds great to beat the system and all, but the fact is he is an 18 year old kid. He will most likely be nervous and fumble his words, etc... 9 times out of 10 the court will eat him alive if he tries to fight it by himself. It has happened to me a few times.

An 18 year old kid in a Mustang accused of racing? Your hit. Get the lawyer. Get one you are comfortable with. You will never even see a judge. He will talk behind the scenes with the prosecutor and they will tell you how much your reduced fine is. If you have no previous record you'll probably get no points and just pay a small fine and court costs. Plus 300-500 for the lawyer. Don't pay more than this. Before I found my lawyer a couple wanted to charge me 1000.00!!!!! For a freakin' drag racing ticket!!!

I too have experience. I have had about 4 drag racing tickets that I can remember.
exgmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2001, 07:40 PM   #27
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

Cool

THANKS ALOT GUYS. I will keep you posted on what happens. That is kind of what I was thinking, that if I say guilty then I am screwed hardcore either way I look at it. They did NOT pull over the other guy, so.... I just hope I don't get bent over, and have to squel like a pig for 30 minutes. =P heh I am kind of siding with UNIT'S approach, I am semi-nervous, or I will be at the time. So I need to decide on what I am going to say now, so I can get a copy of his report? Thanks again.

------------------

Old 07-14-2001, 07:45 PM   #28
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

By the way I am going to wear black dress pants, a long sleeved white shirt(the fancy ones) =P, and a tie, and some black shoes. And I'm taking all my earrings out, and I have let my hair grow out, it was kinda shaved. I think this would help a little bit, rather me show up in a tank top and shorts. Thanks again you guys are great.
Old 07-15-2001, 03:15 AM   #29
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Well, I guess since I was 19 at the time, I had a tremendous amount more composure.

LOL, I'm only 24 now!

The most important thing to remember is the prosecutor doesn't want to waste his time on a case that he can't, won't, or probably won't win. They are people too, and they'd rather bust the real bad guys.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2001, 03:36 PM   #30
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

Ok I talked to another Lawyer and his cost was $500, he said he would plea bargain and offer community service, and he could probaly get it down to a couple hundred dollars. He was going to get a copy of the police report, and he said 99.9% of the time people plead NOT GUILTY, they are found GUILTY. And he said if I did that, there is a possibility I could go to Jail. Then I got to thinking that if he doesn't get anything reduced, or dismissed, there's a waste of $500. Quite a bit of money too me. =o/ So I went down to got a copy of the police report, well the guy told me there was not one......So.......? Then I called the court clerk I believe and asked if I "really" needed a lawyer and she said " No, not on your first offense." , she acted like it was not a big deal. And she also said I would take care of everything that day, pay for it and all, but the lawyer said they would set another date. Which one is it? I also got a copy of the actual law, and it says the a fine of no less than $25.00 and no more than $500.00. I was writting a reply a second ago and I spent about 30 minutes on it and wrote the exact law word for word and everything, and I made a spelling error and backspaced and it went back to the last page and it wouldn't let me go foward and IT ERASED IT! Oh Well....So here is my plans for Thursday, Go in there, well dressed, very respectful, and if I have the chance to talk/ or make a request, then I am going to ask if there is a chance I could take a Defensive Driving Course and do community service to lessen the fine or etc....? Any input??? I mean no police report, not a detailed write up on the ticket, this is my first EVER ticket, they didn't stop the other guy, I've never been in trouble with the law before, I wasn't speeding, nor burning out. That all makes me want to try and get out of it, but if I do that, then I am in front of a jury etc.... and jail? No thank you please. So I am probaly going to plead guilty and hope the judge sees that I am a good guy, and I made a mistake, and it won't happen again!(Like 500 people ranging from old guys in odd ball cars to kid's in newer GT's to a 95 ZR1<---sweet car, and a nice guy I might add) have tried to race me since the ticket) all I can say is I have alot of self control and I'm pretty smart not to do it again(on the street).....=P Well what do you guys think?

------------------

Old 07-16-2001, 04:35 PM   #31
topless tire fryer
All show, some go 4 now!

You sound like a smart kid who got the crap scared out of him buy all this, which is a good thing. Eventually you'll come back to the dark side and race again! Anyways, good luck, sounds like you have a good plan and let us know what happens!

------------------
'95 Chrome Yellow GT ragtop, KN filter charger, Dynomax cat back, Accel plugs and wires.
topless tire fryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2001, 05:11 PM   #32
Hungry4GMs
Registered Member

Red face

What are you tellin this guy?? DONT GET A LWAYER??? THERE USLESS AGAINST TRAFFIC OFENSES??? your on crack dude you gotta get a lawyer itl cost ya but youll get off wont be on your license youll pay a fine might have to take a driver course but its worth it im tellin ya get a good lawyer!!!!
Hungry4GMs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2001, 07:37 PM   #33
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

It's my first offense ever.....I don't think they will be too hard on me, maybe a couple hundred, that's my feeling on this. It really hasn't scared the crap out of me, I've been realatively calm throughout this whole ordeal. It's just if there is a chance of going to jail, however minor that chance might be, I think it would be stupid of me to take it. And the Lawyer was going to be $500. And he said he could get it to a couple hundred dollars maybe..... So this is why I decided against a lawyer.....First off I think I am going to come out of this lucky....since it is my first offense etc....2nd of all, in the worst case scenario, the judge gives me a $500 dollar fine(which I seriously seriously doubt he will) but....$500+court costs etc.....let's say $600. OK well a lawyer = $500+if he can get it down to a couple hundred, that is if.....so that is $700 at least. And my gut feeling is I won't get much on my first offense, but if I do then it's still cheaper.

------------------

Old 07-16-2001, 08:07 PM   #34
BilLster
Registered Member

Do you have a friend or relitive that will go into court with you ? "It helps if you Dad
or a respectable friend goes in with you. The judge tends to believe your parents wouldnt back you up in something like this.
Also dont offer things at first they see that as kinda guilty. Just tell the judge what happened. And if things arent going good them offer an alternitive. Also "Explain that you wouldnt endanger your own life Street racing and can see how the polic e officer over reacted but wouldnt let you explain at the time.

When i was 16 i got a dangerous driving tiket because another driver complained at a minor fender bender "my brothers brakes gave out when i borrowed his car my parents backed me up at court and the cop finally told the judge he ticketed me because the other guy bit@hed so much.

------------------
89 with 395 single stage n2o .garret t3. 373's Suspention worked out finnaly . need cage .
BilLster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2001, 08:21 PM   #35
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

Thanks for all your help guys. I think I am going to just plead guilty, because if not then I have to have a trial with a jurry and the works...If I plead guilty though I hope, the judge hasn't had a bad experience with someone drag racing. Thanks again.

[This message has been edited by 1BAD89 (edited 07-24-2001).]
Old 07-17-2001, 12:03 AM   #36
smokedchevy
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Good luck dude! Hopefully the judge will remember his fast car/girl chasing days!
smokedchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 01:50 AM   #37
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

Hopefully....=P
Old 07-17-2001, 11:47 PM   #38
Speeyuk
Registered Member

89- I've got both cars in my sig. Right now the VR-4's interior is stripped out for some speakers to replace the blown factory ones, so I'm driving Ghetto Thunder down there. That poor SC has been through hell. Been broken into twice in 6 months (once at the dealership while having warranty work done), windows broken out, ford screwing up work on her, just a big run of bad luck. But anyway, it's alright. I'm out on memorial pretty often in the green VR-4, so if you see me, give me a yell or something. My name's Will. What does your car look like?

Oh, there are a few green 3000GT's on memorial, and I've been told that one guy with a green VR-4 is a jerk. So, anyway, here's link to a pic of my car, just so you know what it looks like. I'm a pretty friendly guy, so if you run up on a jerk in a VR-4, it's probably not me.
http://www.3si.org/upload/catfishfront.jpg

------------------
'96 3000GT VR-4
'94 Thunderbird SC

[This message has been edited by Speeyuk (edited 07-18-2001).]
Speeyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2001, 10:18 AM   #39
hi_nrg5.0
Registered Member

I am surprised that no one has told you this yet. I am going to assume that laws and court are the same state state or at least for the most part. You are going to Traffic court and other small offenses... there is not going to be a Jury.... before court you are going to met with the prosecutor... you will be given the oppurtunity to to state you case and facts, and discuss what your plea is going to be. Yes if you plead guilty the prosecutor will tell the Judge and also recommand to the Judge what the state thinks should happen. I also know that 99% is really high for convicting not guilty pleas. Even my wife was given two tickets for burnng my tires in my stang.. Exabition of spped and careless, she bet both no tickets no lawyer and no court fees, she just told the prosecutor... her deal.. they will work with you depending on evidence, past history, and etc... You sound like a good kid and I think that you should first explain your innocense to the pros. before you think about telling your judge that you are guilty. I think that you have a good chance... and also if the cop doesn't show then they will reschedule and then if it happens again it will be dismissed.. I share this first hand knowedgle with you because I was a witness to a incidence in the parking lot at work, I was the only witness and I have been to court 6 times since last feb. I have seen many cases and have become somewhat fimiliar with the procedures, since everytime I have been there it was a full house....... NOT ALWAYS IS THE POLICE OFFICERS WORD GOLDEN!

GOOD LUCK AND I WILL SAY A PRAYER FOR YOU TONIGHT!

hi_nrg5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2001, 03:40 PM   #40
jimberg
Registered Member

No police report, no evidence. If there is a police report, you have been denied access to evidence. Did the guy in the Camaro get a ticket, too? If not, selective prosecution. How can only one person be drag racing? Getting penalized for asking for your rightful day in court? I think not. It's really unAmerican having to fear your day in court, especially if you're innocent.

I pled not guilty once in my life because the cop had the speed limit for the road wrong and he didn't get his radar gun properly calibrated. I lost, but the fine was only $44 which is what it was supposed to be. I was pissed that the cop lied, but that's nothing I can change.

If you legitimately don't think you were breaking the law, you should definitely fight it. If you were racing and you knew it, then try to make a deal with the prosecutor for probation or something.

------------------
351W 89 Mustang GT Convertible
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote