MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-18-2001, 04:08 PM   #41
red82gt
Sober voice of Reason

I'm going with jimberg, why would you want to plead guilty if you don't thin that you are? I didn't realise you were just going to traffic court, if so talk to the prosecutor like the others have said.

Maybe I'm just stubborn, but there's no way I'd just plead guilty without a fight if I were innocent, make sure you do mention the lack of a police report and the fact the other driver wasn't charged as well.
red82gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2001, 11:33 PM   #42
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

Well I am going with guilty, 8:30 in the morning. =P I'll post when I get back.
1BAD89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 03:02 PM   #43
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

Hey guys...I got back from court about 12'ish. Here's how it went. I was in the court room, they called my name, and he said you can either higher a lawyer or represent yourself and talk to the prosecutor. Since I choose not to go with a lawyer, I spoke to him myself. He said I've recommended to the Judge that you do these things, and gave me two options. 1st option, pay $200+court costs and it's a done deal. 2nd option, 6 months probation, within that 6 months I cannot get any kind of ticket, and I am banished from 41st-81st memorial for the 6 months, I cannot go there with a friend in another car so on.......BANISHED! =*( 48 hours of community service, and a defensive drivers course(8 hours). And after the 6 months is over and if I have followed my probation the ticket will be reduced to a 50mph in a 40mph($100) and THAT will not go on my record! No points etc.....Overall it will probaly be around $300 for everything.....The course, court costs, the ticket, etc....So at first I was like option 1, I'll just pay it and it's over! But then I got to thinking and I am going to have to be careful either way I decide. But TWO drag racing tickets is JAIL time, so I'd rather not have one of those on my record. Plus my insurance won't go up now. I have suspended my street racing for probaly a long time now(maybe for good)......Drag strip every weekend I guess. All in all it didn't turn out too bad. I am glad I didn't waste my money on a lawyer! He would have done nothing for me...and guess what, when I first got into court today, I saw the guy that was "racing" me! Ends up he got busted like an hour later at a QUICKTRIP for "racing" me. But all in all I think I got a pretty good deal....Except for the banishment thing. WTF we don't live in OLD ENGLAND and it's not 1492....BANISHED?!?! HMMM but anyway.....6 months, JAN. 19, 2002. Just thought I'd fill you guys in, appreciate all your help. Guys be careful, you really don't want to go threw this big hassle. It could have been alot worse also. So look before you dump.(your clutch) =P Not that I did that, just telling you guys. See ya.

------------------
3:55's,BBK Off-Road H-pipe,BBK jet-hot coated equal length shorty headers,BBK 70mm Throttle Body,BBK adjustable clutch quadrant,C & L 76mm Mass air meter, PRO 5.0, Subframe connectors, Cobra R's 17x9 w/ 245's,Trick Flow Intake,Flowmaster Force II exhaust system, Super Duty T5,Centerforce II Clutch,Heavy Duty Radiator,9mm Ford racing plug wires,Accel cap and Rotor, moroso battery relocation kit, strut tower brace, 4 inch harwood cool hood, autometer phantom gauges

http://www.geocities.com/i8ur
Old 07-19-2001, 04:33 PM   #44
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Smile

Hey man, really glad it worked out for you (except for the flippin "banishment" thing). At least you got a choice and it won't go on your record.

Take care.

-----------------------------------------
351W-powered 1979 Ford Mustang notchback
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl, C4 w/ shift kit
Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake
1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, Al driveshaft
2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters
Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 255/60/15 Eagle GT II
Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s
14 x 4” K&N air filter (getting the Xtreme setup someday)

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body

Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 04:34 PM   #45
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Smile

[This message has been edited by Fox Body (edited 07-20-2001).]
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 09:09 PM   #46
Unit 5302
Registered Member

I think you got hosed. I also think the prosecutor doesn't have a **** 's worth of say for what does, and does not go on your record. When you pay that fine, the state see's it, and they update the motor vehicle record on it.

They told my friend it wouldn't go on his driving record when he got busted for fleeing. Kissed his license goodbye for a year. Six months no work/school.

If there was no police report, the cop wouldn't have had a leg to stand on in court. The judge would have dismissed.

As for the person above who thought I was on crack for recommending you don't go with a lawyer, spend some time in the courtrooms. It'll enhance your non-existant knowledge of how things work.

I've only seen about 30 cases. Not a single one did a lawyer make a difference. How about you?
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 11:06 PM   #47
jimberg
Registered Member

I thought a little more about the no police report thing and the ticket pretty much is the evidence. The important thing is that when the judge passed sentence on you according to the DA's recommendation that there is a transcript. There should be so I wouldn't worry about getting screwed. Plea bargains must be kept otherwise it is a coerced plea.

You did well.

------------------
351W 89 Mustang GT Convertible
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 12:44 AM   #48
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

I guess the local police around here don't write reports on incidents like mine. The guy that was "racing" plead guilty, so I mean why fight it. It would have been a bigger hassle and it probaly would've had a worse outcome, yeah lawyers in traffic, especially first offense would have done nothing. Maybe if you were GOING to jail it would help. But kinda killed all my street racing energy...for good I think.

------------------
3:55's,BBK Off-Road H-pipe,BBK jet-hot coated equal length shorty headers,BBK 70mm Throttle Body,BBK adjustable clutch quadrant,C & L 76mm Mass air meter, PRO 5.0, Subframe connectors, Cobra R's 17x9 w/ 245's,Trick Flow Intake,Flowmaster Force II exhaust system, Super Duty T5,Centerforce II Clutch,Heavy Duty Radiator,9mm Ford racing plug wires,Accel cap and Rotor, moroso battery relocation kit, strut tower brace, 4 inch harwood cool hood, autometer phantom gauges

http://www.geocities.com/i8ur
Old 07-23-2001, 11:10 PM   #49
Try Me
Registered Member

Talking

Fella's,
I've been away for a while - i'm in the same boat as this pour sap.

2 months ago, i was following a '97 Cobra who lost control and crashed a few hundred in font of me. He was racing. While doing a 360 in the opposite lane, he narrowly missed 2 cars and a pedestrian. I estimate his speed
at 160-170KPH.

When i stopped to help, ha broke his car loose from the guardrail he was hung up on, came screaming through the intersection and nailed my MustangGT. Cops show up, 2 Mustangs completely totalled, two young guys in the street waiting for two trucks.

Other dude confesses to racing. I denied it. The cop was a cocksucking pig and accused me of all sorts of things. Here i am, a wrecked car with $9,000 in damaages and insurance company who won't pay because the PIG said i was racing

Dude - GET A LAWYER, A REAL GOOD LAWYER AND FIGHT THAT PIG TILL YOU WIN THE DAY!
Try Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2001, 11:57 PM   #50
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

Did you not read that it's already over with?
Justin.
Old 07-24-2001, 12:01 PM   #51
Try Me
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 1BAD89:
Did you not read that it's already over with?
Justin.
Take it easy Justin, i didn't read all 100 or so replys. But anyhow, food for thought if it happens to anyone else.
Try Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2001, 03:55 PM   #52
jerryIII

Unhappy

This is a prime example of how people are willing to bend over and let the government do what ever they want...

You claim you were'nt racing??? then why in the hell would you plead guilty??? This offense will remain on your driving record for years, try getting insurance with a racing conviction on your driving record, just for kicks call an insurance agent and see what the $$$ amount is...

selective prosecution is a load of crap. so if there are 20 vehicles exceeding the speed limit and a cop tickets you, that's selective prosecution??? NO...

this is really irritating, if you did'nt do it, why plead guilty??? I don't understand??

good luck, but no way would I plead guilty to something I did'nt do.. talk to the prosecuter if he is unwilling to dismiss the charges, based on your input on the events, then i'd contact an attorney...

------------------
Black,84 GT,ground effects,shorty headers, 'open' dual exh.,302 HO(no pollution control crap),T5,89 ported heads,edelbrock Performer manifold, Edelbrock 2122 cam,600 Holley, high volume oil pump...

gears (4:10's) coming soon. N2O, soon to follow!!!
Old 07-24-2001, 04:14 PM   #53
jerryIII

whoops, i did'nt see page 2, sorry....

but my first paragraph still stands.....

pleading guilty for something you did'nt do is the weak way out of a situation, so these are the morals of todays youth??? instead of standing up and fighting for your rights, you take the 'easy' way out, because it only cost you a few dollars????

so then you lied to all of us by claiming you were'nt racing????

Old 07-24-2001, 07:13 PM   #54
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

TRY-I wasn't being rude, I just thought I would let you know, Thank you.

I was racing somewhat, and they got the other guy too. So I had no other plea.
Old 07-24-2001, 07:14 PM   #55
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

TRY-I wasn't being rude, I just thought I would let you know, Thank you.

I was racing somewhat, and they got the other guy too. So I had no other plea.
Old 07-24-2001, 07:22 PM   #56
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

The drag racing ticket WILL not go on my record and neither will the other 50 in the 40 ticket....That is the whole point of the probation and such...I made the right
decision. I could have paid $200 and been done with it, and but my insurance would've either canceled or been unreal. I know it's hard to read all the replys, even I have a hard time when there are 50+, but come on guys, try a little bit , before you flame me.
Old 07-24-2001, 11:29 PM   #57
Red514LX
Registered Member

Thumbs up

1BAD89, I think you did the right thing. I was the 1st person to reply to your post. As I said earlier, I too was involved in a street race a few years back. I pled guilty and was put on probation (for one year though) just as you were. I too had to take the 8 hour course (it was a bore but I did learn some things).

Bottom Line -- I'm sitting here with no points and the incident is NOT on my record. It was "expunged". It's like it never happened!!

TryMe -- in your case it was very right of you to say you should get a lawyer because you were royally screwed by the police officer. I would have done EVERYTHING in my power to get a great lawyer in your instance. That was definitely a good deal gone bad.

------------------
Jeff Kane
1990 LX Mustang Coupe
Red514LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2001, 12:49 AM   #58
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

Yeah a lawyer wouldn't really have helped in my case. Maybe if it was my 2nd or 3rd Drag racing ticket, then ya. Thanks again guys.
Old 07-27-2001, 01:16 AM   #59
66 Racer
Registered Member

I dunno if your court day came up yet, i didnt read all the posts here, but I would NOT use the word "drag racing" when you plead guilty. I owuld probably say something along the lines of "Your honor, I plead guilty under the circumstances of accelerating a little fatser than normal, but i was not engaged in a race with another car."

Try to make it sound like what you did was an innocient little traffic violation.

------------------
Under Construction 66 Coupe
-289 V8 4 barrel Holley 600cfm carb - Headers - Flowmaster 2 1/2 dual exaust
66 Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2001, 03:40 AM   #60
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

Yes my court date is already over with. Thank you very much for your reply. =P