MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2001, 01:54 AM   #41
1965GTO
Registered Member

Unit is a legend in his own mind! Why do you keep bringing up motorcycles? But since you brought it up a Kawasaki 1000 clutch will handle 6000 rpm dragstrip launches for years. The older bikes are air-cooled and have roller bearings so i won't compare the engines to automobiles. The newer motorcycles with watercooling and journal bearings will surely last a long time. Some of the new very high output motorcycle engines probably won't last as long, your car wouldn't last as long if you ran 10 second 1/4 mile times either.
Old 08-07-2001, 01:59 AM   #42
1965GTO
Registered Member

By the way unit you lost your credibility when you told your bs story of the 79 Capri and the numerous times it was ran with no oil. Sounds like you'll believe anything as long as it is about fords.
Old 08-07-2001, 11:09 AM   #43
LincoConti87
Registered Member

Arrow

I kinda liked Unit's story. As for you Gto what is your beef? First of all, do you know that you can post more than 3 sentences in each post rather than posting 13 times to make 3 points about something? Trying to become a senior member in a week or something. Pretty funny stuff too...like I never had problems starting at 6000 rpms ever...and you can do it for years and years. And the Mustang GT insn't a sportscar...oh really? So a car that runs high 13's stock ...faster than the aforementioned S2000...is not a sportscar? Then why do insurance companies charge out the A$$ for anyone to drive them? Some cars do have weird phenomena where they will be running withot oil. One engine I heard about that did that I believe was a dodge slant six. I believe it was a dodge anyways. So how bout we all stop flamin each other and just get along ok! this thread has gotten rediculous
Old 08-07-2001, 06:24 PM   #44
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Originally posted by 1965GTO:
Why do you keep bringing up motorcycles?

Because the S2000's engine is very similar to a sportbike engine in the way it performs, and it's "ultra quality" manufacturer also builds sportbikes.

But since you brought it up a Kawasaki 1000 clutch will handle 6000 rpm dragstrip launches for years.

No, it won't. It will last for a while, but not for years, furthermore, a Ninja with rider weighs around 700lbs depending on how heavy the rider is. An S2000 weighs 2500lbs at least with driver, if you have a hard time grasping how much hotter the S2000's clutch parts will get due to the huge amount of extra weight, open a physics book. Get a bike, or better yet, your own bike shop, like one of my best friends. They're listed in the Yellow Pages: "Tech One Motorsports."

The older bikes are air-cooled and have roller bearings so i won't compare the engines to automobiles. The newer motorcycles with watercooling and journal bearings will surely last a long time.

Again, learn before you babble. If you are talking about an old Katana, sure, it's air cooled (also oil cooled), but even Honda's Hurricane (predecessor to the CBR) was water cooled back in the 80's. If you put 30,000 miles on an F2 600 (similar in power output per liter to the S2000), it's in dire need of a rebuild. Perhaps it would be more fair to compare a larger bike that turns less rpms. How about the sportbike with the most mileage I've ever seen. A 1990something Kawasaki Ninja ZX-11. Water cooled, just so you know. It had 56k on it, and it was totally clapped out. I mean toast. It needed everything, pistons, rods, crank work, rockers, rings, sleeves, everything... and the owner BABIED it. Maybe you'd like to compare to a big twin? How about Ducati? They redline pretty close to the S2000 and their engines are built to take abuse, but only for about 15k. That's when they need a rebuild. Rings, pistons, valvetrain work (Desmo valvetrain doesn't help here). Still, needs a set of pistons and rings.

Some of the new very high output motorcycle engines probably won't last as long, your car wouldn't last as long if you ran 10 second 1/4 mile times either.

Again, you have no idea what you are talking about. The new engines are exactly that. Everything in the new engines is stronger than the old ones. You're still gonna take out rings and pistons just as quick, but the engines are better built. As far as being a heck of a lot more powerful and running 10's, you appearently have no idea about bikes. Compare the Hurricane to the F2 to the F3. You're talking a difference of 30rwhp. The head is slightly worked, a different exhaust, and some jetting. The extra stress on the engine is minimal. In fact you can pick up a real 10rwhp by putting an F3 exhuast onto an F2 bike. The Dynojet, part of Tech One's assets, shows that. That's about the extent of modification. An F3 is about 10-15hp less than an F4 engine, which is built superior. The F4 should last just as long as an F2 or F3. About 20k, 30k clapped out.

If you are going to make a comparison, please, at least have a little clue about what you are talking about.

And yes, the 2.8L solid lifter V-6 in the 79 Capri my mom drove was run severely low on oil several times. To the point the engine would overheat. It kept on going for thousands more miles.
Old 08-07-2001, 06:54 PM   #45
Special K
Registered Member

Wink

I think... (I can be wrong of course)

a sport car is by diffinition a RWD, compact car, with good handling! Power or straith line performance have nothing to do with the term sport car!!!

Good exemple of a sport car? RX7, Corvette C5, Honda S2000, Miata, NSX, MR2, etc...

Mustang, Camaro, etc... are Pony cars in my book!!!

------------------
2000 Honda Civic SiR
15.217 @ 91.884 mph
(w/ AEM CAI in +100F temp)
1989 Ford Mustang LX Coupe 5.0L (RIP)
14.120 @ 98.126 mph

Old 08-07-2001, 11:33 PM   #46
CodeNinja
Registered Member

I've been following this thread, and these are my observations:

GTO got one good hit in on Unit. That was a mistake; it just pissed him off. GTO's been on the ropes ever since, except of course when he was picking himself up off the canvas.

I like to see a good beating as much as the next guy, but someone please throw in the towel!

Jeff

------------------
CodeNinja
2001 Laser Red, "Bone Stock" Cobra
Old 08-08-2001, 02:01 AM   #47
inferno
The Instigator

Unit:

Shifting the Mustang GT at 4k would be comparable to shifting the shitbox Honda at 5500. Shifting at 4k the Mustang would probably pull off 8sec 0-60 times. 1/4 would still be in the 15s easy.

Actually, shifting a GT at 3500 would be the equivilant of shifting the S2000 at 5500. I am sure that the Mustang will do just as poorly dispite it's higher torque.

As far as the quotes about Honda's being reliable at 8k so they should be reliable at 9k, why aren't their bikes seeing 100,000 miles?

I don't even see why bike engines were even brought up in this discussion. Just because the S2000 has a similar power band to a bike doesn't justify saying that the engine won't last a long time. Honda would not risk their reputation making this engine if it wasn't going to last. The B16(which also has a powerband similar to a bikes) has been revving to 8XXX rpms since 1989. There are B16's out there with well over 150k miles and are doing just fine.

Furthermore, how many conservative owners redline their Civic's and Integra's around? Not too many, I'll clue you in on that. Most Honda's are babied around by grocery toting tree huggers.

This is true. But it is also true about the S2000 so far. Most of the people who buy them aren't going to be driving them hard. I figure 80% of S2000 owners are 40+ upper middle class men with no thoughts of racing the car.

I understand your frustration about owners of other cars on this site, but there is no need to insult any body over something this stupid. Also, I see no need to speak badly of any other manufacturer(except for Daewoo ).

Oh yeah, one last point, someone in this thread(not sure who and am too lazy to go back through) said the GT runs 13's which is not true. Both the S2000 and the 99+ GT are low 14 second cars but with great drivers(such as LizardKing) can dip down in the 13's.

------------------
90 Honda CRX aka Project Mongoose
Estimated Completion: ON STANDBY

84 Toyota Supra:
Japanese 6mge installed within two weeks.....
High flow cat, two chamber flowmaster, custom 2.5" piping, msd 8.5mm wires. Will have boost before 2002.
Have HKS turbo manifold for it.....

Old 08-08-2001, 03:23 AM   #48
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Inferno.

There are 99+ GT's here in Fayetteville that run high 13's stock. Thats in high humidity and a southern summer evening. Seen Z28's run high to mid 13's stock. Hell, even saw a Stock Roush Stage 2 turn in 13.9's.

Its not just one driver turning in 13's with the new GT's.

On the street racing seen, I saw a Honda S2000 beat a 97 Stock GT (Except for Flows)by only about a fender length.

I'm not trying to say anyone is wrong, just observations I've made.

------------------
64 1/2 "D" code Red Mustang Coupe. 289, C4, Mallory duel point. Ported & Polished 65 heads shaved .01 with 351 valves, 11:1 comp, 1.7:1 rockers, blue wolverine lumpy cam, modified 4100 Hipo 4 barrel. GT Apperance pkg. And to many others to list

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd. BBK Underdrive pulleys, Flotech off-road H pipe. Hurst T-Handle, 40 series Flowmasters, Steeda Tri-Ax
64 1/2 red 6cyl coupe. Future resto.
Old 08-08-2001, 08:15 AM   #49
Kevin Price
Registered Member

Probably should have closed this sooner. I think this one has served it's useful purpose and then some.

Thread Closed

------------------
SVO siamesed 351 stroked to 417ci,Yates heads, solid roller,Trans King glide and a little blue bottle
of giggle gas. My Car
Closed Thread