MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-04-2001, 04:40 PM   #1
fastang
Registered Member

Post 302 vs 454

Hey guys, Its been a while since I have posted a kill here, not for a lack of racing but for a lack of interesting races.

This just happened 20 minutes ago. Me and my girl are on the way to her house and I see a sweet Chevelle coming up behind me. He stops in the lane next to me and its got a very nice rumble and lope to it. It was bright orange with black stripes. My girls jaw drops and she exhales "OOOHHH...nice". I said yeah its definitely well kept but the rear tires arent wide enough for its weight, I bet I could smoke it. At least from a launch on my Nittos.
We follow eachother through traffic for about 8 miles untill it opens a little, we were both in third and punched it. Suprising to me, I was actualy gaining a little. We finaly hit a light together so I leaned over to tell him he had a very nice car and asked him about his motor. He said it was a stock 454 and didnt ask anything about my motor. I said sweet and when the light turned green I waited for him to hit it and launched.
It seems that the more tread I burn off of these tires the better they hook up. There isnt much tread left and when I hit second I just chirped where I would usualy spin on regular radials. At this point I was a full car ahead and gaining ground. We ran a little into 4th with me ahead by a good 2 cars. I was ******* stoked and when we hit the next light he started askin questions about my motor. I told him what I had and he shook his head yes right when the light turned green and I smoked him again. He just passed me with a thumbs up and went on his way

On a side note I also raced my friends 5spd LX. Its got the AC delete, pulleys, mac cold air kit, dynomax exh, and 355's. He ran a 14.4 stock. I beat him by over a carlength because of my launch. I pulled a little in 2nd but 3rd and 4th were dead even, I didnt pull and he didnt gain. My car also weighs a hell of a lot more especialy with him ditching his AC and me with a spkr box in my trunk.

I installed my 190lph pump yesterday. I think it helped me a little up high and the whole rpm band is smoother now. My old pump motor was HOT and brown. It was about to go on me. My car was getting harder to start and I think thats what was making me detonate before. I knew I was losing fuel up high.

------------------
95GT B303 cam, 1.7 rockers, 65mm TB, milled heads, 355's K&N, BBK Longtubes, Flowmaster cat back, pulleys, msd coil, 9mm wires, Tremec 3550, Pro5.0 shifter,10.5 Motorsport clutch, FMS aluminum driveshaft, weld in subframe connectors
fastang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2001, 06:50 PM   #2
fastang
Registered Member

Hey guys, I REALLY need your input on this one. I just inherited a thousand dollars and I plan to buy a stroker kit at the end of this month. I know what heads and cam I want but Im still not sure whether or not to go with a 331 or a 347. I could go to a junkyard and get a 351 block and stroke that to a 396 but I already have a 302 block and thats a lot more work.(of course its a lot more cubes too)

I have heard that 331's are much more reliable and make a much broader and smoother powerband. Can anyone elaborate on this?

One more question. I want a high compression stroker, somewhere around 11 to 1. Is it possible to squeeze a hundred shot on that if I drasticaly retard the timing or is nitrous absolutely out of the question? It will have forged pistons and I beam rods.

Thanks.

------------------
95GT B303 cam, 1.7 rockers, 65mm TB, milled heads, 355's K&N, BBK Longtubes, Flowmaster cat back, pulleys, msd coil, 9mm wires, Tremec 3550, Pro5.0 shifter,10.5 Motorsport clutch, FMS aluminum driveshaft, weld in subframe connectors
Old 07-04-2001, 08:52 PM   #3
Stang Runner
Registered Member

Good kill Not to many on to day

------------------
1988 LX 5.0 3060lbs (full Tank) 14.90@100.2 On a Gtech Drivetrain: 2.73 Stock Gears (New Gears Are in my house3.55), World Class T-5, Lakewood Bellhousing, Summit Adjustable Cluch Quadrant & Cable, Alumminum Driveshaft, Flaming River Manual Steering Rack Suspension: MAC Control Arms,Maximum Motorsports Front Grip Package, H&R Sport Spings, Bilstein Shocks
Engine: Steal Mounts, Ram air, K&N, Under Drive Pulles
Exhaust: 1 5/8 Un-Equal Length Mac Headers, X-pipe W\cats, Edelbrock cat\ba
Stang Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2001, 09:07 PM   #4
90dpscoupe
Registered Member

Yea there is a guy over here with an ss chevelle, he likes to smoke the tires when he drives bye like when im pumping gas.

anyway i would prefer the 331, not sure why, and i never heard about them being "smoother" but i know they are more $$ and that i dont know. Hey you think that 190 pump helped you at top? cuz i think my car is starving in the higher rpm's i have a stock pump though?
90dpscoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2001, 09:09 PM   #5
fastang
Registered Member

Thanks. The worst part was when the chevelle pulled up next to me at the light my girlfriend actualy said "Sorry babe, but I would rather have that car than yours. Its faster than your's..right?"

I felt like pimpslappin the hoe. So I took it out on the Chevelle instead After I beat him twice I looked over at her and asked if she was SURE his car was quicker than mine

------------------
Old 07-04-2001, 09:32 PM   #6
bada$$lx

Nice kill! I spanked a 454 Chevelle SS a couple months ago.....still love that car though

------------------
'90 LX 5.0; 12K original miles (no sh*&); 3.55 gears; pulleys;Edelbrock Performer Heads; BBK shorties; MSD 6AL box w/ blaster 2 coil; Motorsport E303 cam; Pro-M 75mm MAF; BBK 70mm TB; Eibach spring kit; Southside welded subs; K&N cone filter charger; Hurst shifter; fiberglass turbo hood; A/C-less; rear seat-less; cat-less; 2 chamber Flos; Corbeau racing seats (fronts);
30# injectors; JMS Chip; 190 lb fp; TFS track heat Intake (12.299 @ 113)
Old 07-04-2001, 10:40 PM   #7
fastang
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 90dpscoupe:
Yea there is a guy over here with an ss chevelle, he likes to smoke the tires when he drives bye like when im pumping gas.

anyway i would prefer the 331, not sure why, and i never heard about them being "smoother" but i know they are more $$ and that i dont know. Hey you think that 190 pump helped you at top? cuz i think my car is starving in the higher rpm's i have a stock pump though?
Thanks for your opinion on the motors. Im strongly considering a 331. People are telling me that a regular 351W swap can be done cheaper so Im considering that too. My head is spinning right now

I think the pump helped me up top. I know it was losing fuel before because I was detonating at Carlsbad and it didnt stop till I bumped the fuel pressure.

My old pump was brown and hot. I think it was about to go out on me anyway.

BadA$$LX, That Chevelle was an SS too.

------------------
Old 07-04-2001, 11:01 PM   #8
69fastback
IRAQ VET

Must have felt good to whip his butt especialy after what the g/f said. I would never let that one down. Give her some hell about that one. Go for the cubes man. Take the 351. I am a guy that loves cubes though I would have one of those 812 cid fords like in ihra pro stock if it was possible.

------------------
69 428 cobra jet: tons of mods.
97 f-150 5.4 xlt mark III
BUCKLE UP. SUCK IT IN.
Objects in the mirror are about to disappear...
QUICKLY!!!!!!

69fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2001, 12:39 AM   #9
gp001
Registered Member

Nice kill. I'm partial to the 347 myself

------------------
347 (Coast High short block), 279/284, TFS TW heads, Stealth, 750 Holley, Flowtech hdrs, Dr. Gas X, 2 Chmbr Flowmaster, MSD 6AL-Dist.& SS coil, March serpentine pulley system, Art Carr C-4 (Soon to be a Richmond 6 spd, Currie 9" w/3.55, alum Drv Shft, susp mods, Total Control subframes & tower braces, Trans Am Racing power dual master, 4 wheel disc, 17x8 Torqthrust II's
Something up my sleeve
In a 66 coupe
gp001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2001, 06:33 PM   #10
fastang
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gp001:
Nice kill. I'm partial to the 347 myself

Have you had any probs with yours yet? Any leaking oil? Have you had it on a dyno yet?

------------------
Old 07-06-2001, 05:26 PM   #11
Red514LX
Registered Member

Hearing these stories about near-stock 302s beating 454 big-blocks makes me ill. Doesn't anyone these days know how to build a decent big-block?!?!? As they say, though, it's run whatcha brung and hope ya brung enough!! So, good kill! You earned it fair and square.

If you're ever going to run turbos....go with the 331, period.

That said, the BIG problem I have with the 347 is that the oil-ring groove is up in the piston pin. This is not good and I would never buy a kit that had a piston w/ the ring groove in the pin area! However, Coast High Performance has a 347 kit where the ring groove is NOT in the piston pin. This looks interesting/promising. As long as CHP could assure me that their kit would last man, many happy street miles and that oil consumption would NOT be a problem, I would go with that 347 kit provided there wasn't some drawback to their modification of the piston.

Otherwise, I'd go with a 331c.i. 16c.i. doesn't sound like much.....but 16c.i. is significant in my opinion.

Oh yeah, there are pro 5.0 guys who run 14:1 compression and 400hp nitrous so don't worry about your 11:1 ratio. You sure might have to run race gas though -- but hey, speed costs $$.

Red514LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2001, 07:55 PM   #12
fastang
Registered Member

The 454 was stock. I was just stoked that I beat a car with over 150 more cubes. I intend on buying the CHP kit. They appear to have solved the oil ring problem. Im not going to forced induction. Maybe a hundred shot tops.

------------------
Old 07-07-2001, 12:18 AM   #13
gp001
Registered Member

Fastang,
I've never had any oiling problems and I run Mobil 1, so if there were any chance of a leak the synthetic would find it. I have not had it on the dyno yet. I just got done changing over to 17" rims and dropping the mounting of my upper control arms. I don't want to dyno it until I get my 6 speed in, should be soon. I was hoping the 17's would eat up a little more power to help with launching, but I still roast em with little effort, and it's going to be worse with the 6 speed Don't be afraid of the "oiling" problem. From others I've talked to with CHP 347's they also have had no problems.
gp001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2001, 04:14 PM   #14
fastang
Registered Member

I called Probe Industries and they are giving me a discount because I work in parts and have a resale number. My price is about 1200 with tax. Its normaly 1300 before tax. Now I just have to save up for those expensive *** heads.

------------------
Old 07-08-2001, 08:19 PM   #15
topless tire fryer
All show, some go 4 now!

347 definitely. Its like momma allways says, theres no replacement for displacement.

Anyone know the website address for CHP?

------------------
'95 Chrome Yellow GT ragtop, KN filter charger, Accel plugs and wires.
topless tire fryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2001, 10:14 AM   #16
fastang
Registered Member

its www.probeindustries.com

------------------