MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-25-2001, 10:39 AM   #1
429mustang
Registered Member

Post virus

Has anyone else recieved a virus in their email in the last few days. I keep getting emails that say "Hi, how are you?
I send you this file in order to have your advice.
See you later. Thanks"

then when I opened the attachment it was a picture of a rose. It didn't show up as a virus, I emailed the first guy back asking what he was talking about and what the rose was supposed to mean. This morning I've got a bunch of e-mails from people saying I sent them a virus, one guy said he was calling the cops. The virus email had a different subject a few of the times, they were:
PCTI Finals
It Hurts
"All About Chad Kiley"

I don't know where they came from, but I figured I'd let everyone know just incase you get one of the emails.

------------------
86 Mustang GT w/pretty stock 93 5.0 (cam,pulleys,injectors, throttlebody,h-pipe)
Motor to be swapped for a 1970 429 +.030, ported heads, solid roller cam, victor intake, 10.2:1 comp, C-6 trans, 3:73 rearend W/moser axles
429mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2001, 09:24 PM   #2
Topless In Texas
Not broken anymore!

Exclamation

Hey 429...I just had 2 emails from the same person. I have thier name. Mine said EXACTLY THE SAME THING!!!! The attachment was about 240K. My virus scan detected it and showed me the bomb, so I deleted them immediately. Kinda makes me wonder, you got it, I got it, wonder if we can look this persons name up on the Members list and see if they are a member?

------------------
1994 GT.Convertible/Performance Red. Cold Air Ind.,K&N,H.P. Pulleys,OffRoad H-Pipe,Flows,3.55,Light bar,Custom HeadRests.Lotta Chrome
Topless In Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2001, 11:01 AM   #3
HiFlow5 0
Registered Member

yeah i got the same e-mail too. it looked sketchy though so i deleted it! i usally delete stuff i'm not sure of, good thing i did!

------------------
89 GT AOD w/ shift kit, B&M rachet shifter, Trickflow intake, Crane (E-type) cam, 70Tb, 75MAF, 1.6 Rockers, Pulleys, MAC headers and H-pipe, Dynomax mufflers, K&N, 3 core radiator, white face gauges, custom interior, cobra R rims
MY89GT
HiFlow5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2001, 01:19 PM   #4
Smokedawg
Tires Fear Me...

I got that email..I just deleted it.

------------------
347 Stroker Motor: Balanced, Cobra Transmission, Extrude Ported and Polished Upper and ported Lower, GT40 Milled Ported and Polished Heads, B303 Cam, BBK 1 5/8 Headers, 30lb Bosch Injectors, Holley AFPR, March Underdrive Pulleys, Perma-Cool Fan, 3-Core Radiator, Accel Performance Coil, Accel 300+ Racing Wires, Ram Air, K&N Filter, 73mm Vortech MAF, 70mm TB, FlowMaster Exhaust w/BBK Offroad H-Pipe, Hurst Shifter, 3:55 Gears, Ram Clutch, Cross Drilled Rotors, AC and Smog del, rear seat del.
Smokedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2001, 01:22 PM   #5
red82gt
Sober voice of Reason

Thumbs down

I heard about it yesterday, it's pretty widespread. Apparently it's a worm that will go on every email that you send and can even invade your address book. Believe me, they probably would've gotten the virus from someone else if you hadn't sent it, It ended up in my junkmail folder today, twice.
BTW I can't believe someone threatened to call the cops! I guess they figure you're an evil computer mastermind!

I'll never understand what drives people to create these viruses, I think punishment should be having a computer shoved up their a$$
red82gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2001, 01:44 PM   #6
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

I received the same thing. There's a way to avoid these kind of problems... DON'T OPEN ANY ATTACHMENTS IF YOU DON"T KNOW WHAT THEY ARE AND ESPECIALLY WHO THEY CAME FROM!!!

I have received the email about 30 times and finally decided to go into my email settings and set Outlook Express to ignore it. No more incoming emails =)

And red82gt - I totally agree with you.

------------------
Gunning for 12's!

Buy your parts here
ICQ# 42269241
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2001, 01:57 PM   #7
jimberg
Registered Member

Another tip. Always make sure that you are not hiding extensions of known file types. These viruses come with two extensions. The last extension is the actaul file type. For example:

NakedPictureOfAngelinaJolie.JPG.VBS

If you're hiding extensions, only the .JPG will show.

Just delete files with a double extension.
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2001, 02:33 PM   #8
82 GT
Import Slayer

I got the same attachment several times already. There are different subject lines too. One says "Mary K inc" another one says "30, 15, 5 for ring"
I did that same thing 2fastLX did.
I delete all attachments unless I know who they are from

------------------
'82 GT 351W C-4,BBK headers,Carter 625 carb,Comp.Cam,Flowmaster exhaust.
1988 GT...T-5,bone stock
82 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2001, 06:47 PM   #9
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

Hey everyone. On your virus detectors, you need to update them regularly. Because new viruses come out etc....and it won't be AS effective if you don't. Also watch out for ones like "Here's my pic" mypic.exe or mypic.txt. Basically if you don't know who sent it to you, don't d/l it. See ya.

------------------
3:55's,BBK Off-Road H-pipe,BBK jet-hot coated equal length shorty headers,BBK 70mm Throttle Body,BBK adjustable clutch quadrant,C & L 76mm Mass air meter, PRO 5.0, Subframe connectors, Cobra R's 17x9 w/ 245's,Trick Flow Intake,Flowmaster Force II exhaust system, Super Duty T5,Centerforce II Clutch,Heavy Duty Radiator,9mm Ford racing plug wires,Accel cap and Rotor, moroso battery relocation kit, strut tower brace, 4 inch harwood cool hood, autometer phantom gauges

http://www.geocities.com/i8ur
1BAD89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2001, 01:17 AM   #10
HellRaiser92
Registered Member

Yeah someone tried to send me a virus too. The subject was something about a confrence meeting or something. heh Anyways it said "I want you to look at this and give me some advice. I'm looking forward to hear from you." So the wiseass that I am sent the virus back to him and said I've got some advice for you get a ******* life. He hasn't sent it back yet. People that do that kinda stuff get under my skin.

[This message has been edited by HellRaiser92 (edited 07-27-2001).]
HellRaiser92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2001, 01:32 AM   #11
Mustanguy

Cool

Yup,I got the same email..Just looked at it,laughed,then deleted it.

Helps to keep yourself updated on what new viruses are goin around

Another thing that I have thats everyone SHOULD have is a firewall,especially if your using cable internet.The one I use,that has proven itself the best many times is Zonealarm blocks people from probing your ports.The address for this Free firewall can be found here--> www.zonelabs.com
www.agnitum.com has something I also use,it's not free but it protects your registery and abit more

------------------

Paxton Blown 87GT
Old 07-27-2001, 01:37 AM   #12
429mustang
Registered Member

The only reason I opened it was that it didn't show up on the virus scan, plus I was waiting for a few replies from a few trans places and the e-mail subject was some guys name, so I figured it was from one of them.
I had my files scanned on one of the virus sites, the name of the virus is W32.Sircam.worm@nim and is considered a medium level virus. Other then sending itself out to all your e-mail address', I'm not sure what damage it may do to files or your computer.

------------------
86 Mustang GT w/pretty stock 93 5.0 (cam,pulleys,injectors, throttlebody,h-pipe)
Motor to be swapped for a 1970 429 +.030, ported heads, solid roller cam, victor intake, 10.2:1 comp, C-6 trans, 3:73 rearend W/moser axles
Old 07-27-2001, 12:07 PM   #13
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Hmmm, I had this attitude like "that stuff doesn't happen to me" but I got those same emails you were describing (of course not opening them in the first place cause they seemed kinda weird to come from a particular person and then I remebered reading this thread).

The subject headings I got are:

Accident Suppliment
Incident
report for duty
Private Property Accident

The message insides states,

"Hi! How are you?
I send you this file in order to have your advice
See you later. Thanks"

and they were from someone I know. It is a medium level worm virus (W32.Sircam.worm) that will somehow seem to come from either people you know (who actually didn't send it themselves) or whoever. Of course, you are safe as long as you don't open the attachment. Just delete the emails. If they keep coming, make the address one directed for the junk mail folder.

Thanks for starting this thread 429mustang.

-----------------------------------------
351W-powered 1979 Ford Mustang notchback
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl, C4 w/ shift kit
Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake
1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, Al driveshaft
2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters
Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 255/60/15 Eagle GT II
Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s
14 x 4” K&N air filter (getting the Xtreme setup someday)

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2001, 05:33 AM   #14
429mustang
Registered Member

No problem. I downloaded a virus program to clean out the files that had the virus from McAfee, everything seems to be working fine now. I guess there's even supposed to be a spanish version of the virus e-mails.

------------------
Old 07-28-2001, 01:00 PM   #15
Topless In Texas
Not broken anymore!

Lightbulb

Hey ya'll...
I just updated my Virus Scan and did a full scan. Usually when this threat happens, I'll do it, but I know myself, I tend to get a little lazy w/ it sometimes. Everything came out clean, but now would probably be a good time for everyone else to do the same, cause evidently it was something that was hitting us MW members for some reason!! Have a GREAT DAY!! Topless

------------------
1994 GT.Convertible/Performance Red. Cold Air Ind.,K&N,H.P. Pulleys,OffRoad H-Pipe,Flows,3.55,Light bar,Custom HeadRests.Lotta Chrome
Old 07-28-2001, 02:17 PM   #16
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Angry

Here's my question. Why in the **** do these morons continue to build these viruses? The jackasses get caught every single f'in time, in like 2 days if the virus breaks out. Then they go to jail for a few years. What in the hell do they really think they are accomplishing? NOTHING. It's pathetic.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2001, 12:17 AM   #17
HellRaiser92
Registered Member

I feel the same way about it as you Unit. They should find something else to do with their time. Like make some of those custom fart muffler tips that add 50 hp! hehe
HellRaiser92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2001, 12:28 AM   #18
Mustang Lover
Registered Member

actually most do not get caught lol i was into hacking/cracking for a few months but then i thought about it and didn't want to ***k my life up so i stopped. its realy easy to make virus's and so called "newbies" do it to be cool and mess up n leave their ip number then get traced. its simple
Mustang Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2001, 02:33 AM   #19
Topless In Texas
Not broken anymore!

Quote:
Originally posted by Mustang Lover:
actually most do not get caught lol i was into hacking/cracking for a few months but then i thought about it and didn't want to ***k my life up so i stopped. its realy easy to make virus's and so called "newbies" do it to be cool and mess up n leave their ip number then get traced. its simple
I'm glad you decided not continue on that path. As far as I'm concerned, I feel the same way as the others. Destroying others p.c.'s shouldn't be a 'fun' thing. I dont understand the thinking of the people that do that. There are better things in life than that. If someone has that much time on their hands to create viruses, they need to re-evaluate thier lives.
I'm With UNIT on this one. You take the words out of my mouth. WTF??? I dont understand how someone gets off to that????

------------------
Old 07-29-2001, 10:53 AM   #20
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Thumbs down

Hmmm.... well, I was hacking computers 10 years ago as a kid. We could have, but never did create viruses. We didn't like them, and felt they were seriously wrong. For all we know, they could mess with people we cared about, and cause us problems later.

Believe what you want to believe about not getting caught dude. If you write a virus and it breaks out into an epidemic, they WILL find you. You cannot erase your touch on it, everything is logged on the net, which is why some companies go to great lengths to provide advanced security. You don't even have to be in this country to get nailed by us. When you brag to your hacker buddies about creating it over IM's or in e-mail or the virus just gets traced back to you by a trail, they'll find you. All you have to do is **** up when you make the virus. Expect it to only hit a few computers, then, whoops, it's hits a few thousand, then a few hundred thousand. Once enough people get rattled, the big guns come out and get you. It takes all of a couple days. That idea that you can get away with it, and that they will not find you is exactly why people try and pull this **** . Their egos are just too damn big. Oh well, I'm sure they'll bust the guy who just did the code red worm in a while. May take a little longer since it came out of China.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote