MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-22-2005, 03:38 PM   #1
MLMike25
Registered Member

Default What's the stupidest thing you've done in your car?

Does your stupid story top this???

I had to get this off my chest. I didn't want to tell my wife b/c she was in the car with me when I spun out just a week before this incident and she's been telling me that I've become more of an "aggressive driver" lately.

One day last week, I'm driving down a 2 lane street (1 lane going in each direction), i'm doing about 45. About 50-60 yards down the street I see an old guy in a clunker hooptie truck turning SLOWLY into my lane (from a cross street). So, b/c I decided that I didn't want to slow down to like 20 mph, I peeked into the oncoming lane, saw no cars coming, and decided to accelerate around him using the oncoming lane.

Well as soon as I cross into lane for oncoming traffic, pops decides to put on his blinker and make a LEFT TURN at the next cross street! I had no choice but to either slam into his driver door or swerve left onto the corner/sidewalk.

I chose the sidewalk.

Luckily for me, the corner that I was about to ramp up was one of those wheelchair-friendly curbs (in other words, it wasn't a high curb that would've destroyed my suspension) ... and there were no people or poles there that I could've hit.

So my car finally stopped up on an empty grassy lot (no house there). I got out, checked my car and saw NO damage whatsoever. I hopped in and got the hell outta there.

Needless to say, I was pretty mentally shaken after that. I kept thinking about how lucky I was that I didn't hit that guy, or that I didn't ruin my car going up on to the sidewalk, or that I didn't hit a pole, or worse yet, a person! My stupid ass could be in jail on manslaughter charges if I'd killed someone.

I even thought about selling my car b/c I didn't want to be tempted to drive like a jackass again. It was at least 2-3 days before I got over the whole incident.

Needless to say, I've learned my lesson. And its not that I don't speed anymore, I just don't do it in stupid places anymore.

I hope someone here can learn the lesson without having to go through anything close to that.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:14 PM   #2
Rev
Registered Member

Default Re: What's the stupidest thing you've done in your car?

Defensive driving, that's what it's called. You have to assume that the other guy will do the worst possible thing and really expect him to do that. You will have already done the correction and will have the ability to avoid the accident. Sounds so easy, but it's hard to drive like that.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 09:29 AM   #3
commart
Registered Member

My pony's first owner knows the story (and she doesn't know that I know who she is via the maintenance receipts she left zipped up with the owner's manual), and I am tempted to talk to her about burn / melt marks in the ceiling material above the rear right passenger's seat. What the heck was going on back there?!

Grazes Across Concrete --

5/13/05
Stock 2000 3.8L V6, No Mod.
Age at Benchmark: 65,750 miles.
Laurel, MD to Arnold, PA: 252.4 miles.
Refill: 8.85 Gallons.
MPG: 28.52

-- No Complaints: She's One Sweet Ride.
commart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 04:05 PM   #4
Capri306

I had to think long and hard about this. I've done so many idiotic things over the years, and the histogram of such incidents indicates a high occurance in my 17-to-19-years-old period.

One I'll admit to was when I was driving my 4-cylinder LX. I was going to turn onto a road that just veers off to the right by about 30 degrees from the centerline of the road. Well, due to people being lazy about turning that corner (going off the road and kicking up gravel), I overestimated the coefficient of friction I had against the road. I lost traction in the middle of the "turn" and skidded, running over the stop sign. I was moving at around 45mph, and if you've ever hit ice at that speed, you know it's not the best feeling in the world.

In hindsight, yes I was moving a little fast, and thank God that there wasn't another car there at the intersection. Still, those stones I hit on the road surface must have been numerous and very small. I shouldn't have skidded, but the best part is that no damage occurred (except to the stop sign post, which was obliterated), no one was hurt, and I learned from it. One of the best driving lessons I've ever received, IMHO, and I think my guardian angel got overtime pay that week.

1979 Mercury Capri
1987 5.0L Mustang LX Notchback
1993 5.8L Eddie Bauer Bronco
Capri306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 05:48 PM   #5
Fat0eknee
I'm slow ...I know.

wow yeah.. 18 in high school '68 mustang. im turning left out of the school parking lot (4 lanes, 2 both ways) this was before i got my locker installed so only my rear right tire spun ...i stepped on it while i was in the turn and the rear of my car pulled into the lane i was supposed to go in ...but the rest of my car didnt so when it straightened out i was headed toward a car in the oncoming traffic lane - it was a good thing that they slowed down or else i would have plowed into them
Old 06-24-2005, 06:53 PM   #6
drudis

I had a car for sale, and parked it in the street, taking my sister's car instead. (keep mine safe at home). Forgot my wallet in my car, so I drove back home, parked her 4-speed Mustang on the driveway idling, and walked to my car to get my wallet.
Well... little did I know, her parking brake doesnt work, and it followed me down the driveway, and smashed right into my parked car!!! DOH!
Sold my car anyways, but took $600 less that evening, towards repair of door and fender by the new owner.
http://www.dariusrudis.com
drudis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 10:09 PM   #7
e2cars.com
Registered Member

Stopped at a red light.. Cop 2 cars back.. Light turns green.. Need I say more?

www.e2cars.com

e2cars.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 03:34 AM   #8
MEDIK418
Registered Member

Winter 1973, Clayton New Mexico, it's snowing to beat the band and as I pass through town at about midnight on my way back to Ft. Carson, I spied a supermarket (ok. . a store) parking lot with all this really pristine snow waiting to be violated. My buddy Kenny was asleep on the passenger side, I'm tired and bored stupid so I'm thinking why not wake both of us up?
I veered off the main highway at about 30 and momentum spun the car about 4 times. When I came to rest, I looked out my window and found myself about 8 feet from a New Mexico state trooper takin a break in the same parking lot. Sad part was, he had his park lights on and everything but I guess most of them were hiding behind a light pole or something.
I got lucky that night. All I got was an arse eatin and a few screams from Kenny. I still think his screeching got the trooper tickled enough to let me off with some of my rear left.
1986 four-eyed LX coupe, 358 Cleveland, Tremec TKO600/centerforce clutch, dish cut Probe forged pistons, comp cams hyd.roller cam, .579/.588@224/230, Edel.performer, 670 holley street avenger, CPR custom built long tubes, ported and polished 4bbl heads, manley valves, beehive springs, MSD peo-billet dist/MSD6AL, fluidamper, 5 lug conv. with 17x8 bullits there's more but it's still not finished yet.
Oh, and the oldest boy is turning his 89 GT into a FFR cobra this next summer.
MEDIK418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 10:52 PM   #9
redsn95vert
Registered Member

all I can say is it was 2:30am, on I-76 coming home from a bar in Philly doing about 85 and all you could see was the top of her head....
95 GT convertable, ported+polished GT40 heads, port matched upper and lower Cobra intake manifold, Flowthech headers, Catco hi-flow h-pipe with 2 hi-flow cats, Mac true fit catback exhaust, 3.73 gears, underdrive pullies, Edelbrock 70mm throttle body, Mac cold air intake, FMS 24lb injectors, Granatelli 75mm mass air
redsn95vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 03:00 PM   #10
KiltedBanshees93GT
Registered Member

Well, I guess my crowning dumb**s moment was back when I had my '79. The car had semi bald tires on the front, and an old set of firestone steamrollers (for that rim, they were like 235's) on the back.
Coming down 275, I hit the 60 exit, (it had been raining out, and I had been practicing drifting the car over the lat few months). I decided in a moment of rebellion, that I wanted to "slide" into the merge lane.
Unfortunatly, the rear broke loose more than I wanted, and as I slid into the merge, all I could see in my head was an 18 wheeler ready to plow me. The rear slid about 90 degrees to the left, with me countersteering the whole way, then suddenly got traction on the front, and slung her back 270 degrees, finally smacking the RR end into the divider. I hit hard enough to shatter the fan shroud, bend the shifter linkage (which I was holding onto), and rip the RH side seat rail from the floor. (Making an instant "rocking chair" )
A guy driving a white camaro stopped to make sure I was ok, then a TPD officer stopped, and helped me push her off the road. He gave me the chioce of making a report, and having my insurnce skyrocket, or "take care of it myself".
1 guess which option I chose
Next day, I came back and got her, and drove her (after figuring out the linkage was bent, keeping her from hitting PARK), sans bumper and with a nasty crack all along the roofline for like 9 mos.

All considered, I learned to respect both the elements, and how squirrely a stang can get in adverse conditions. Between that, and a few other incidents, I think I've become the worlds most defensive driver
Rice Haters Club Member #239

"I find your lack of faith...disturbing."

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." H. L. Mencken
KiltedBanshees93GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 04:50 PM   #11
OnMy3rdStang
Registered Member

trying to fill in the Mustang imprint on the rear bumper with bondo
Amatures, have it professionally done
Old 07-10-2005, 05:42 PM   #12
NewStangSmell
Registered Member

A few monthes ago I was drivin in my dad's F150 at night on a 6 lane road (3 each way with a large ditch between the seperate ways) (he was with me since I only had my permit) so I wasn't use to his truck at all (4 inch lift, toyed with the chip, and it had the extended cab), but I was a good driver, I always speed, but in Vegas you have to. So he was tired and wasn't paying attention. I noticed I didn't have the headlights on...for about 2 secs I looked down and was verring into oncoming traffic with out headlights on a street with no lights...needless to say thank God I have a fast reaction time and swerved into the ditch between the two lanes. Also just the other week I was driving his truck on the way to work and had to stop real fast, and in the parking lot there weren't any spaces big enough for the truck so I found one that was almost good enough. When I went to pull out I noticed that across from the truck was a truck that was bigger so it was gonna take me hours to get outta the parking lot. Long story short I almost smashed the car on my right's door in and the truck behind me almost ended up with it's tailgate missing. No harm done tho...just to my ego...I need my mustang so I can actually park now...goodbye
NewStangSmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 07:22 AM   #13
danistanggt
Registered Member

last year i was driving home from work, it was dusk. i top a small rise in the road and this reeealllly old couple was coming slowly with a blinker on to turn left. i slowed down and thought i was giving him time to turn..ok? well the dumbass stopped right in the middle of the intersection, so it was either hit the house on the right, or hit the cornfield to the left.. what you do? i hit the cornfield. i wasn't quite as lucky as you mike. i ripped the exhaust off, took out the oil pan and tranny pan, ripped the fuel and brakelines off the cadavalier. then she went to the boneyard.. she wasn't worth putting all that money back into. but the only thing i could think of at the time was to hit the cornfield,so i wouldn't hurt either one of them. i feel ya...;D
danistanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 06:53 PM   #14
digital3.3

well i had a free 81 tercel that i jumped dukes of hazzard style over a small table top jump in a gravel pit back in my home town. it was alot of fun to beat the car into the ground, still ran afterwards that was surprising.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:03 PM   #15
scott93gt
Registered Member

Well, I will have to select one from the list.....
I was 16, just got my license and had a day off school in February. I picked up my friend from band practice in my mom and dad's Olds Delta 88 (2 door). It had a chevy 350 with 4 bbl. When we were leaving there were some other kids outside waiting for rides. I decide it would be cool to do a burn out so I hit the gas and turned the wheel to make a left turn. The car fishtailed 180* and I was now pointed the opposite direction heading towards a small retaining wall that was along the sidewalk. I countersteered to the right, hit the curb, hit the wall and panicked. I threw the car into park (even though I was still moving) and got out (car sitting on the sidewalk). To my amazement, the only damage was a scuffed white wall tire. (so I thought). I drove the car home and my buddy and I washed the car (in February in Pennsylvania) to clean the white wall tire. My mom thought we were nuts since it had started to snow. Fast forward 10 months to state safety inspection. Lower ball joint needs replaced because it is shot from somehow being bent. My parents never said a word although I expect they new something. I l
5 speed, Hurst Competition Plus, 3 chamber Flows, 3.08's.

2010 VW GTI 2dr 6MT
(no pictures yet)

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
scott93gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 01:43 PM   #16
fastfox91
Registered Member

i was on the highway and i got behind sombody that was doing 60 in the passing lane and there was a car next to him in the travel lane doing the same speed. the car i was behind wouldnt speed up and move over so i could get by him,and that shit pisses me off more than anything. so after a while of this i got feed up dropped it into third and went right between them, i made my own passing lane. needless to say as i look back on that move it was probably a bad choice??
fastfox91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 05:31 AM   #17
scootro
Registered Member

i pleed the 5th on this one.......1,2,3,4,5thhhhhhhh........i did alot of stupid things to my cars when i was kid years ago........boy i sure do miss those times being so green and inoccent!!!!!!! bahahaha.........
Old 09-14-2005, 09:06 AM   #18
HoodStrype
Rearview Mirror Haze

I have many moments of "Achievement" from my younger days (17 - 20)... but my best was last month. I just bought an 89 GT with 3.73's and Micky T's on a beautiful afternoon, problem was it got dark quick on the way back and started to come 'Hell and High Water'. Soooo right about the time I hit the long Tennessee River Bridge on I-65 North through my state of Alabama the tires get loose and the water picks me up (bridge pavement slick for slicks) and I end up staring at oncoming traffic after doing a 180... Not Good!
My wife was behind me and barely avoided me. We were both very lucky because many people go off of that old bridge... the state troopers were sort of well.... angry at me.

...the epitome of Murphy's Law
HoodStrype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 10:31 PM   #19
robl1974
Registered Member

Alright. I had this piece of s**t 1983 Z28 that the previous owner had built and installed an awesome 350ci in. The body was crap, however. So a friend, steve and I decide to do some off roading with it and we drive through this big puddle in the road and going about 45mph, and the dirt road goes over a small rise that we hit and get air from, but at the bottom of the rise on the other side are some massive ruts where someone with large tires decided to dig out. Well, we hit the rut coming down from the small jump, and when we bounce, I lose my grip on the steering wheel, and suddenly we really are going off road right through the forrest, glancing off of a few trees. I learned then why you should always wear your seatbelt as I nailed the roof (T-Tops) and bent the steering wheel with one hand, and ripped the dashboard with the other. When I finally got the car back home, both T-Tops were cracked (Chevy used real glass back then instead of the plastic junk of more recent times), the rear axle was slightly off center, the front end was bowed upward, to include the core-support, the radiator was leaking, oil pan was leaking, multiple bends and dents in the exhaust pipe,, and last but not least, I could turn the steering wheel from side to side and the car barely responded. I had cracked the front subframe right between the two upper bolts where the steering box was attached. Steve called a friend with jeep who managed to pull us out back onto the blacktop, and the Z barely made it home. I don't think we went faster that 20mph the whole way home. We had to drive through the city to get home, and all the way everyone who passed us stared. It's funny now but I still remember how embarrased I was that whole drive home. Needless to say, I parted out what I could and junked the rest. One more muscle car lost to stupidity.
robl1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 10:26 AM   #20
StuBlu06GT
Registered Member

I owned a 64 and 1/2 in Hawaii in 1985 that was not in the best shape. It had a habit of stalling out at the most inopportune moments. It stalled on me at a stop sign. I needed to turn left onto a right turning hill that ended at a stop light. I had the bright idea to get out of my car, push it and then jump back in. I got the car rolling and turned onto the street, heading down the hill. I could not, however, get my self back into the car. I ended up riding on the outside of the car, having to reach in and steer it down this hill. All the while, wondering how in the hell I was going to get stopped at the bottom if, as it turned out it was, the light was red. Macgyver training came in handy when I slowly steered the car into the curb, which slowed the car to a stop eventually. That is, to this day, my life's most embarrassing moment. It was full daylight and several witnessed drove by and clapped.
StuBlu06GT is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: