MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-11-2001, 06:30 PM   #1
SisuStang

Talking Finally, some action!!! (long)

Sorry for the length of this post, but I'm excited because I usually don't see much action with my car due to the daunting roll bar (I need to get tint).

We went out Friday night to the hangout & there was tons of cars out. Mostly rice, but a few 'stangs, camaros, a blown 'vette convertible, a Grand National, etc.

A friend asks the Grand Nat if he wants to run me, but he says not with his street tires.

No one else seemed interested, so we left & checked on a local street racing spot, but there was nobody in sight.

As we head back to the hangout, I pull up to a set of lights beside the same Grand Nat!

I threw him a quick rev & he looked interested this time! The lights went green, I launched softly & but so did he & I didn't think that he was going to go for it! Then I hear his turbo spooling so I get on it & pull about 2 cars before I let off.

We catch the next lights again, but this time he let off due to a minivan that pulled into my lane.

Third time, I take it real easy on him, let his turbo spool & then I hit it. He jumped a car ahead but I started to reel him in, but we let off due to a heavy police presence in the area.

We pulled into another hangout & chatted. He seemed to be a decent guy, but he thought that his car was almost as fast as mine. He said he runs in the high 11x mph range at the track & that my car must be around the same. I told him that I run over 120mph but in racing form (ie race fuel, skinnies, etc). He didn't think that my car would be that much faster in race form. I politely corrected him & told him that I'm pulling timing out on pump gas, giving up probably 30-40 hp to be safe (stock short block etc).

He takes off & we head back to the original hangout.

The cops cleared most of the rice away but left us alone! We were parked near a couple of trucks. 2 were lowrider style, but one S10 had skinnies & ET Streets.

I asked the S10 if he wants to run, He says sure, so we head out to the aformentioned spot. First, the S10, which had spray, ran a Trans Am with a 406 motor to motor, & the S10 took him by a couple of cars. I though great, maybe I'll have some competition this time!

I lowered my air pressure in my Nitto's, hoping that they would hook. We lined up, & launched at the same time. I feathered it out & his ET streets hooked & he got ahead by 1/2 a car. I stayed even with him for the rest of the race!

We turned around & headed back to the side of the road. I told him that that truck really hauls! He said (& showed us) that he had an LT1 in it ( & I'm guessing with at least a 200 shot).

We lined them up again. This time, I put in my shift light chip & I launched harder. The Nitto's hooked!. I immediately pulled him by a couple cars off the line as he spun. It stayed that way thru the rest of the run.

We let 'em cool down while we watched some others go at it. Then we lined up a 3rd time.
This time I spun a little at the top of first & he hooked all the way. He go ahead by 1/2 a car & slowly pulled on me the whole run to almost a car length (hmm, I think that my blower belt might be slipping ).

We talked again afterwards. He said that he hasn't run it at the track yet. He asked me what my best time was & I told him low 11's in "race mode". I told him his truck is easily into the 11's.

He was a nice guy & all, but maybe next time I'll come packing race fuel, skinnies & the big drag radials....

PS.. way to go HKstang on beating Craig on your crappy "Defender" tires!

------------------
91 coupe
3.73's,long tubes,2 1/2" exh,ported stock t-body,ProM-77mm
cobra intake,edelbrock heads,B303,1.72 rr's
36lb inj's,tremec, & a Paxton NOVI 2000!!!
11.020 @128.95 on BFG Drag Radials (275/60/15)

Old 06-12-2001, 09:43 AM   #2
Red514LX
Registered Member

It sounds to me like you had some awesome races!! I don't know what it is, but races are always more exciting when it's neck and neck. Getting blown out stinks. Likewise, blowing someone away can take the fun/challenge out of it.

What does your car run (mph-wise) in "street" trim? I ask this because I assume that your 128mph trap speed was in "race" trim -- and I have a hard time believing that S10 could hang with your car when it's running 128mph!

Anyway, great stories. I felt like I was right there watchin' ya!

------------------
Jeff Kane
1990 LX Mustang ex-5.0 Coupe
No engine. No transmission.
Prepping car for a "big" big-block. http://hometown.aol.com/red514lx/

[This message has been edited by Red514LX (edited 06-12-2001).]
Red514LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2001, 02:13 PM   #3
exgmguy
Registered Member

Awesome races! I've had a few people say "we were pretty even!" when a race lasts maybe just 3rd gear and I get 2 cars on them in 4 seconds.

Those people have not done much studying at the track!

BTW, I got my heads all fixed up and my car runs like a champ now. I'll be out soon to get some new (and hopefully better) numbers.

------------------
1988 Mustang GT
12.0 @ 122
1992 BadAzz Wrangler
1993 Explorer
exgmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2001, 04:36 PM   #4
SisuStang

I haven't tried my car at the track in "street" trim yet. I'm thinking about trying it this year. It'll probably run in the 122-123mph range. My best mph in race trim on a cool October day last year was 130.00.

I usually end up going to the track in race trim to either practice/set up the car or to race in a competition.

My first race will be at Cayuga on June 23rd, but I'm not sure if I can make it to the track before then.

Exgmguy - let's see some 11's next time you go out, eh?
Old 06-13-2001, 01:34 PM   #5
NoSlow5.0
YOU HAVE NO MARBLES!!!!!!

Thumbs up

GOOD DEAL! Those are always the best kinds of races. Light Em Up!!!

------------------
My 87 GT....Marbles
AIM: Marbles87Fox
Light Em Up!!!
NoSlow5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2001, 01:38 PM   #6
turbolx
Registered Member

Wink

A little more calibration for me over the next few days and I'll be back on the prowl here too...

...looking for 125mph traps this year on a suspension that transfers even less weight.

------------------
Greg Banish
President, Detroit Speedworks, Inc.
'93 LX Turbocharged Road Racer
'00 Bad-Ass F150
turbolx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2001, 04:56 PM   #7
SisuStang

Hey Greg, next time you come to town, please let me know. Next time we'll hook up!

I just put in a D&D K-member & coil overs. We'll see if the reduced weight gains me some more MPH & drops me into the 10's this coming weekend...
Old 06-18-2001, 06:39 PM   #8
turbolx
Registered Member

Arrow

Sisu, I quit the job that used to take me up to Toronto all the time. Not so bad, as I'm now running my shop here full time, but no more summer trips the great white north for the company picnic. We'll see if the wife wants to go shopping at Eaton Centre again next year...

How's about you guys come over here for the NMRA race in Stanton or FFW in Norwalk in a few weeks? ...and of course there's always the Woodward Dream Cruise here in August. ALWAYS a great time at that one!

------------------
Greg Banish
'00 Bad-Ass F150
Old 06-19-2001, 03:32 PM   #9
SisuStang

Actually, I was at the Stanton race last year. I know a couple of MW members were there, but I missed out on meeting you guys (again). I was only there for Sunday & I was with the wife. Also, I was busy helping Joe out.

I am planning on going to Norwalk this year, not so sure about Stanton again. Maybe we could hook up there.

------------------
91 coupe
3.73's,long tubes,2 1/2" exh,ported stock t-body,ProM-77mm
cobra intake,edelbrock heads,B303,1.72 rr's
36lb inj's,tremec, & a Paxton NOVI 2000!!!
11.020 @128.95 on BFG Drag Radials (275/60/15)

Old 06-20-2001, 08:17 AM   #10
turbolx
Registered Member

Thumbs up

I'll definitely be at Norwalk. Just look for my Teal LX in the pits, probably running True Street. I usually pit near Kevin McMullin (Atomic Banana, yellow 94GT, Renegade EFI) and Mike Wesley (autologic dude, Silver 2000 Cobra R replica, Real Street)

Don't be a stranger!

------------------
Greg Banish
'00 Bad-Ass F150