MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-14-2001, 09:38 AM   #21
Try Me
Registered Member

Talking

They're still pigs. It works both ways. Everytime i've had to deal with the law, i always approach it in a calm and curitous manner. They, the pigs, do not. You're guilty of something the minute they arrive on the scene.
They have to do a little to earn my respect too you know.
I'm told it's the way they're trained. In the 9 months of police training, the no. 1 drill is "YOU are the law and shoot first, ask questions later".
It's all about the bacon i guess
Try Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2001, 01:00 PM   #22
gp001
Registered Member

Well, I must say that here in So-Cal I get nothin but thumbs up from most cops. Mind you, my car is still primered (all black with a clear coat) and it sounds like a Trans Am series race car (literally). I will also say that when I was 18 (1987) I got caught street racing. Towards the end of the race I saw a red light appear in a parked car at the end of the road. I was probably doing close to 130 (68 Dodge Charger highly modified 440, Art Carr 727, 4.56 rear gears). I shut it down, got out, and put my hands on my fenders. The guy I was racing pulled a smoky 180 and tried to run, but the cops had the other exit blocked too. The cop (Los Angeles county Sheriff) was 6'9" muscular (very) black guy. . He says "Nice race, this is your 3rd win in as many weeks". I thought I was dead. He asked if I had any alcohol, drugs, or weapons in the car. I said no. He asked if he could search. I said yes. He ran my license and said "As soon as we arrest your competition we'll send you home with this warning. The gave everyone (a few hundred) that didn't have a warrant, drugs/alcohol, or a weapon a warning. I though that was pretty cool. They could have written thousands of fix it tickets, illegal parking, impounded cars, etc.. Hell, they could have fried my *** for life! I thought they showed A LOT OF RESPECT. Cops deal with the worst of society all day long, so of course they are going to be tentaive (attitude) until they figure out what is going on. Try not having the attitude that they are "all pigs" it might help.

------------------
347 (Coast High short block), 279/284 .493/.510, TFS TW, Stealth, 750, Flowtech hdrs, Dr. Gas X, 2 Chmbr Flowmaster, MSD 6AL-Dist.& SS coil, March serpentine pulley system, Art Carr C-4, Currie 9" w/3.55, alum Drv Shft, susp mods, Total Control subframes & tower braces, Trans Am Racing power dual master, 4 wheel disc
In a 66 coupe
gp001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2001, 06:56 PM   #23
1astrsk
Registered Member

Hey, I tried. I am glad to see that the majority are either supportive or understand we have a job to do.
I do my job for people like that. But,if push comes to shove, I would risk my life for even the most negative person.
I am lucky enough to have a job I love and have learned that no matter how much good you do there are certain people who only focus on the bad. It must be difficult to live like that.
1astrsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2001, 08:55 PM   #24
what_import
Registered Member

Imagine the world without people like you and me,1astrsk? Take care and good luck out there!
what_import is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2001, 10:29 PM   #25
gp001
Registered Member

Thumbs up

You gotta appreciate you guys for your determination. Cops are getting the worst deal. I think people admire criminals more, HOW SICK! You guys get disrespected on a good day, and have your life on the line on a bad day. People shootin at you to avoid a traffic ticket, fighting with you to try to win the "Litigation Lottery" (ex Rodney King), and then clowns callin you "pigs" because "THEY" are breaking the law. And you guys still risk it to protect the masses. I don't know about the rest of these guys but I appreciate what you do.

------------------
347 (Coast High short block), 279/284 .493/.510, TFS TW, Stealth, 750, Flowtech hdrs, Dr. Gas X, 2 Chmbr Flowmaster, MSD 6AL-Dist.& SS coil, March serpentine pulley system, Art Carr C-4, Currie 9" w/3.55, alum Drv Shft, susp mods, Total Control subframes & tower braces, Trans Am Racing power dual master, 4 wheel disc
In a 66 coupe
Old 06-17-2001, 11:10 PM   #26
PGkelly
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Fostang:
Well to protect oursleves we carry two way radios, cell phones, a video camera, scanners, and try to avoid big crowds of cars on our way to the spot. Last week someone got shot at one, some have even died their. It starts going down hill when new folks start showing off. Just calling attention on us. Oh yeah and there is a specific time we race and thats when the shift changes start.

OMFG dude you are my got-dammed idol! I've got a cell phone and a CB radio already, still need a scanner though. and i'd like to have a concealed radar/laser detector when i get a 'stang. but my question is, how do you find out when the shifts change?

p.s. at one point in college my dad and some of his friend designed 'stealth' motorcycle, to avoid radar etc .

------------------
If it ain't broke, make it go faster

AOL: MCVillain45
PGkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2001, 01:50 AM   #27
Unit 5302
Registered Member

I've dealt with a few cops, about 80% of them are a-holes.

As far as them getting a 9mo degree? That doesn't happen here. In MN you need a 4 year college degree to be a police officer.

That aside a man was recently refused for entry because he was "too smart." That's right, they wouldn't hire him because he was too smart on their tests to be a cop. The man sued, took it up to the higher courts and lost. The argument was it was a bad investment. Nobody with any brain's would stay being a cop was basically the argument of the state; therefore, once the man had served a while he would probably quit. LOL.

Now, before you get all pissed at the cops for busting up street races, they DO NOT decide what is the prime offense to crack down on. That info comes down from the chief. The chief gets it from the mayor, the mayor get's it from the people and the city counsil. If nobody was complaining about it, you wouldn't be getting busted. The cop is just doing what he's told to do, for the most part.

That being said, most people seem to become law enforcement officers because they got their lunch money stolen one too many times in school. They usually have a control problem, and a sense of gratification in having power over other people. That's why they chose their profession in the first place. They all like to say they do it to "help people," but that makes 90% of them liars.

People say that 1 or 2 bad cops gives the other 98 a bad name. I think other police would like to believe they are workin with good guys, but like I said, from my experiance, 80% of them are asses.

Also, it really pisses me off when I start hearing about how little they make. Seems strange to me since an rookie makes over 50k/year in my city, he's furnished with his own car to take home as well. Doesn't sound too bad to me.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2001, 06:14 PM   #28
what_import
Registered Member

I am a rookie here with a Sheriffs Office in Central Florida and started at 30,452 plus forcedovertime. P.S. you have to have atleast a 2 year degree in Criminal Justice with most agencies here in Florida.
what_import is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2001, 07:03 PM   #29
69fastback
IRAQ VET

This is an intersting post. From what I have found I think most cops love old muscle cars. In so california I have been pulled over countless time for various things. My car doesn't have a front licsnce plate (required in ca) blinkers and various other normal things. The only thing I ever get is do u have any acholo, drugs, weapons and such. I say no they search the car and send me on my way knowing full well i could have gotten at least 4 or 5 tickets. They have always been really cool to me. I also try and be very polite to them and do what they ask. I am not sure if it is the car or being the army or what. I think it is a little bit of both.

------------------
69 428 cobra jet: tons of mods.
97 f-150 5.4 xlt mark III
BUCKLE UP. SUCK IT IN.
Objects in the mirror are about to disappear...
QUICKLY!!!!!!

69fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2001, 11:08 AM   #30
green94droptop
Registered Member

Just a quick change of subject. I remember a few months ago in FL when the cops bust us on Presidents Drive at Director's Row. Fortenetly, I was one of the lucky ones. I got out of there before it was too late.

As for the street races in Orlando, they are crazy. I will never take my car to them again (I'll go with buddies and watch though . Those rice drivers are sick crazy. They think it's a joke. Most of the time the races get broked up because someone has a siren on their car or because some yells 'cops'.

I also have a new theory on cops busting our races: EGO. We don't race where there is any traffic. We find industrial parks were there are NO cars other than racers.

When the cops come (if not a false alarm) they are in there to put someone's head on the cutting board. I've heard of people getting as many as 11 tickets/person and then to top it off, they DON'T get arrested; it's all harrasment.

Granted there have been some idiots who do stupid things and get badly hurt or even die, but that's their own damn fault.

My $.02

------------------
Green '94 GT conv. -- K&N filter charger, FMS 9mm wires, Accel hipo cap/rotor, 180* thermo, 14* timing, PRO 5.0 w/ stock handle, off road H-pipe in front of 2 chamber flow's, Steeda subframe connectors w/ crossbrace, stock, stock, stock, yeah and that's stock too.

My 'Stang
green94droptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2001, 11:54 AM   #31
gp001
Registered Member

Question

Green94droptop:
Let me get this straight, you say:
Quote:
As for the street races in Orlando, they are crazy
I will never take my car to them again (I'll go with buddies and watch though . Those rice drivers are sick crazy.
Granted there have been some idiots who do stupid things and get badly hurt or even die, but that's their own damn fault.
And it's about an EGO or harassment? I think you contradicted yourself there. We race in desolate areas to avoid getting busted, But we travel to & from the locations - And we all know no one is driving like John Q. Lawabider (ESPECIALLY WHEN SOMEONE DOES THE OLD "COPS" YELL ). Cops have to protect the safety of the MASSES, not the wants of racers. They have to police on the chance that someone "may" get hurt (as you said in your post). It would be like someone shooting a gun in the air saying "I'm not shooting at anyone" but we all know the bullets fall back to Earth. Do they "always kill", no, but they may so it's dangerous and illegal. Innocent people aside, what of the dumb street racer who gets hurt or killed. Do you think it ends there for the cops? Now the family/friends of the racer ask "Why wasn't this stopped?", and follow up with a nice little lawsuit (The American way, right?).
Like I said before "Cops are damned if they do, damned if they don't"

------------------
In a 66 coupe
Old 06-23-2001, 10:03 PM   #32
green94droptop
Registered Member

Let me clarify myself. When I say there are some racers who do stupid things and get hurt, I'm talking about doughnuts in the middle of 10 cars, fishtailing it for 30 seconds and most importantly the stupid a$$es that yell cop for the hell of it (there's always that one guy who just wants the attn). Oh, and there's always the bikers in Orlando that just show up and ride the back wheel for 1/4 mi with their g/f on the back seat. When they get hurt, the cops show and are out 5x's as hard next sat night. UGH.

We also race in desolate areas and travel to and fro'. But always end up in the industrial parks where it isn't so desolate

But you know what, I'm gonna start hanging out with the BIG BOYS. They almost never get busted; and if the cops DO show up, they just tell them to leave and take it somewhere else. The rice guys just attract attn. They like running! It's so sick. I've gotten to a point now where I beleive luck will run out for myself or close friends of mine that go to the races.

Thank you for waking me up. I'm going to follow the loud rumbles of v-8's now where it's much safer with LESS cars (10 at most). No more late night rice snacks.

------------------
Green '94 GT conv. -- K&N filter charger, FMS 9mm wires, Accel hipo cap/rotor, 180* thermo, 14* timing, PRO 5.0 w/ stock handle, off road H-pipe in front of 2 chamber flow's, Steeda subframe connectors w/ crossbrace, stock, stock, stock, yeah and that's stock too.

My 'Stang

[This message has been edited by green94droptop (edited 06-23-2001).]
green94droptop is offline   Reply With Quote