MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-01-2001, 04:28 AM   #1
oldman
Registered Member

Post I'm so ashamed

I always enjoy readin the posts in here but never thought I'd be writing one in street racers corner. I went to the dirt track races tonight in Amarillo and brought back my son's 89 GT with the new 306 we just finished last month. I left after most of the crowd so there wasn't much traffic on the way out. Just after pulling out of the parking lot onto the highway, this red Dodge Dakota passed me like he was headed to a fire. It was one of those decalmobiles with R/T on the bed. We came to a red light at I-40 and across the underpass there was this hitchhiker walking across the intersection and he was about halfway across when our light turned green. THe truck takes off like a bat out of h#ll and the guy walking takes off in a dead run throwing his duffle bag ahead of him and dove for the curb. THe truck never even hesitated. I never moved. . just sat there unbelieving until the guy was through waving at the driver of the truck. After a mile or two, I caught up with the truck, I think he slowed way down so I could catch up and as soon as I got within a few feet of his rear bumper, here we go again. I hear his passing gear kick in and off to the races HE goes. I, being the mature adult, just watched him go feeling far superior for not being sucked into this game. This happens again about a mile later. . .I start to pass his rear bumper (I never changed my speed to this point) and I hear this passing gear thing again. . . Not this time lil boy. I down shifted to fourth gear and ever so gently planted all 260 pounds of my right foot on the loud pedal. By the time my speedo reached 90 or so, he was far enough back that I could see him in the center rearview mirror. THat was easy. . . .kinda fun too. I slow down to 70 and he blows by me at about 80 and keeps on hammerin.
I see him after my exit and he's sittin at a stop sign, waiting for me I guess. As I pull up behind him at the stop sign, here we go again. Tires bawlin and rear axle bouncin all over the road, he takes off from the stop. I'm thinking this guy ain't real, it's a bad dream right. It took me until I hit the far end of third gear to pass his lil red wagon but this time he didn't pass me again. . .guess he finally figured it out. It might have had something to do with his girlfreind shakin her head as I passed him the last time. Gettin hammered by a balding old fossil. . . .he musta really felt bad.

And uh. . .if I want my son to know this, I'll tell him.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2001, 04:42 PM   #2
Fostang
Registered Member

You shouldn't feel ashamed of having handed someone their ASSparagus to them especially if they were with their girlfriend. I don't know if I would have tried my luck againts someone like that. Especially after he tried to hit a pedestrian. Not that I would be scared to lose just that my safety and the safety of other drivers is important to me. Good kill! Hope to hear more of these.

------------------
67'fastback-Edelbrock carb,intake,cam,valve springs.Rhode lifters, CompCam rocker arms, windage tray,cerama coated headers,dual flows with H-pipe, modded c-4,tci stall converter,perma cool electric fan,aluminum water pump,griffen aluminum radiator,accel 8.8 cable,wide cap distriburator,magnetic pick up,v-matic hurst shifter,edelbrock performer nitrous, carter electric fuel pump,ignitor coil,solid motor mounts,magna racing suspension,poly urathane bushings,under rider traction bars, comp. eng. s
Fostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2001, 04:57 PM   #3
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

OldMan.

Dang, I'm amazed with you being against street racing and all. I'm really dissapointed! j/k

See, now that you found it kinda fun, your hooked. Better start denying yourself that it was any fun at all before its to late.

What makes us racers look so bad is when you get an inexperienced kid that thinks he's Johny Force, or Some kinda a Master Road Course racer, and then they wreck.

I know I dont have to say anything about bieng carefull to you.

------------------
64 1/2 "D" code Red Mustang Coupe. 289, C4, Mallory duel point. Ported & Polished 65 heads shaved .01 with 351 valves, 11:1 comp, 1.7:1 rockers, blue wolverine lumpy cam, modified 4100 Hipo 4 barrel. GT Apperance pkg. And to many others to list
2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd. BBK Underdrive pulleys, Flotech off-road H pipe. Hurst T-Handle, 40 series Flowmasters, Steeda Tri-Ax
64 1/2 red 6cyl coupe.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2001, 07:31 PM   #4
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

Good stuff, oldman! lol

------------------
Black 2000 GT
Pulleys, mufflers, K&N
Steeda springs, subs, strut tower, CC plates
StoplightWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2001, 08:15 PM   #5
82 GT
Import Slayer

Someone has to take these young punks to school...nice kill oldman!!

------------------
'82 GT 351W C-4,BBK headers,Carter 625 carb,Comp.Cam,Flowmaster exhaust.
1988 GT...T-5,bone stock
82 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2001, 08:28 PM   #6
69fastback
IRAQ VET

That rt driver sounds like a real a hole.

------------------
69 428 cobra jet: tons of mods.
97 f-150 5.4 xlt mark III
BUCKLE UP. SUCK IT IN.
Objects in the mirror are about to disappear...
QUICKLY!!!!!!

69fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2001, 04:55 AM   #7
84stangLX

The way i see it, if the situations are right there's no real harm to racing someone unless it's EXCESSIVE like the guy in the truck was trying to do. You just happened to hand his dignity back to him in the form of smoke from your tailpipes. I have rules about when i decide to run someone:
only once, twice if conditions are perfect
straight road only with a clear line of vision, because you never know what's ahead
i only go up to 100mph because by then it should be pretty clear who won
You did this guy a favor because maybe now he'll realize that instead of being an @sshole with a fast truck, he's just an @sshole. Good kill, sometimes there are just times where a race is "appropriate" - but of course i'm biased.

------------------
'84 Mustang 5.0 LX
My car
Old 07-02-2001, 06:27 PM   #8
oldman
Registered Member

Wink

Anyone who has seen the panhandle of Texas knows from whence I come with this. I followed the guy for about 3 miles before the first encounter which was straight as an arrow and 5 lanes wide with absolutely nobody for miles either direstion. The second was even farther out than that. I agree with a lot of you, I pick the time and place,if it happens at all. Out here though, in the great nothingness, it's the little creatures that roam the highways that'll wipe you out more often that other drivers. There's a kid here in town that greased a coyote in an LX at about 140 last year. Actually, I could say that he pretty much greased the front of his car more than anything.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2001, 09:04 PM   #9
venumus93
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Way to go OldMan! Ditto on the conditions to race...our straight, flat FL roads are everywhere, but the deer come out in the winter, otherwise, plenty of action to be had. If you've got the power, use it! Nice kill, & stay away from those dangerous a-holes!

------------------
93Cobra#3974
off-road h-pipe, 2chamber flowmasters, hurst shifter, K&N
venumus93 is offline   Reply With Quote