MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-25-2001, 07:43 PM   #1
wantingamustang
Registered Member

Post newbie question

ok even though my name says wantingamustang, i actually now have a mustang and am very very happy with it. i am 16 and it was my first car purchase ever. of course a young teen like me wants to get into street racing. not just racing, i also love speed too. so heres the thing when i start making mods i want to do things the right way, and not just rice things up. i am looking for a webpages(s) that can give me the in & outs of cars. from the engine to all these terms you guys have like he use low 12s or 15s...ect..i have no clue what that stuff means. i've heard about some things like air intakes and certain mufflers make cars gain hp & go faster but i am still fuzzy on everything. so im just looking for any webpage or documentation (or maybe even a mentor, if anyone has the time) to help the newbie mustang owner out. i've tryed search engines with no luck and this looks like only place i could turn to. so any help is welcome thanks in advance for your time everyone.

stats of my car if you need:
94 mustang v6 3.8L 5spd only like 1,000 miles (prob less) on it because new engine from head gasget recall. 48,000 on rest of car

thanks again for anyone who responds
wantingamustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2001, 08:29 PM   #2
90dpscoupe
Registered Member

You started with a good website, since you have a 3.8 liter i would subscribe to 5.0 magazine, they always hava a 6 cylinder section, lots of parts available for 3.8 mustangs now, exhaust, coldair inductions, blowers ect... a cold air induction is a filter the sucks air in from outside the fender (cone filter) wich gains just a little horsepower, a duel exhaust setup is available for you stang, would gain some power and sound better, good luck, and be careful....
90dpscoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2001, 08:41 PM   #3
wantingamustang
Registered Member

hey thanks for responding so quickly. this magazine sounds like a good starting point for me. so it has what im looking for? info on everything, not just the product, im looking for on how everything works. i want to know this all the ins & outs of my stang. anything else you can reccommend that will explain lots of stuff like terms and how everything works?
Old 06-25-2001, 09:05 PM   #4
Stang Runner
Registered Member

Not just to pop you bubble but 3.8 is not that fast. If you want some power from that 3.8 It will need to be Supercharged to get into the 13's That always means the time in a 1/4 Mile when the say 10's 11's
I would say you are in the 15's right now maybe even 16's If you need help just post it on this site it is the best one!!!

------------------
1988 LX 5.0 3060lbs (full Tank) 14.90@100.2 On a Gtech
Drivetrain: 2.73 Stock Gears (New Gears coming in a week), World Class T-5, Lakewood Bellhousing, Summit Adjustable Cluch Quadrant & Cable, Alumminum Driveshaft, Flaming River Manual Steering Rack
Suspension: MAC Control Arms,Maximum Motorsports Front Grip Package, H&R Sport Spings, Bilstein Shocks
Engine: Steal Mounts, Ram air, K&N, Under Drive Pulles
Exhaust: 1 5/8 Un-Equal Length Mac Headers, X-pipe W\cats, Edelbrock cat\bac

Stang Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2001, 09:07 PM   #5
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Quick but meaningful advice:

1). Get subsription to previously mentioned mag and Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords and read MUCH.

2). Stay on this site (MW) and go to Windsor forum and try to learn as much as you can, ask questions.

3). Work on your own car whenever possible. And welcome car problems as a learning experience

4). Ask questions and don't expect to be an expert Ford Techinician in a small amt of time.

-----------------------------------------
'79 Mustang Coup w/ 4" Cowl
Stock 5.8L, C4 w/ shift kit
Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake
1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, Al driveshaft
2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters
Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 255/60/15 Eagle GT II
Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s
14 x 4” K&N air filter (getting the Xtreme setup someday)

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to
Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left
thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2001, 10:11 PM   #6
jerryIII

how about this advise???

first car, 16 year old???

learn to drive before you add after market performance HP items...

------------------
Black,84 GT,ground effects,shorty headers, 'open' dual exh.,302 HO(no pollution control crap),T5,89 ported heads,edelbrock Performer manifold, Edelbrock 2122 cam,600 Holley, high volume oil pump...

4:10's on their way!!!!
Old 06-25-2001, 10:43 PM   #7
smithbling
Registered Member

Try the forums on corral.net and stangnet.com, I think they both have a 6 cylinder performance forum.

Good Luck

------------------
C ME FLY
88 Notch
MAC headers, H-pipe, and Chrome 2.5" pipes, pullies, K&N filter, BM shifter, 17" ROH ZR6, Dropped 1.5".
smithbling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2001, 11:26 PM   #8
dinomite
The Dude

ask absolutely ANY questions you have here, or in the Mustangworks chat room which you can get via this website, or using an IRC client (recommended: www.mirc.com) and connecting to mcclainenterprises.com and the room is #mustangworks. You can ask questions there and get immediate answers when people are there (later at night, ie after 7pm EST). you can IM me at dinomite1 if you like as well.

The only way to get real power out of that 6cyl is to supercharge it, as was said above.
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2001, 11:30 PM   #9
dinomite
The Dude

on sites for mustang info:
www.fordmuscle.com www.mustangperformancetech.homestead.com/MustangPerformanceTech.html www.corral.net www.mustangworld.com www.stangnet.com www.superford.org

If you don't have AIM, you can email me at dinomite1@softhome.net

[This message has been edited by dinomite (edited 06-26-2001).]
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2001, 01:55 AM   #10
ed1371
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Fox Body:
3). Work on your own car whenever possible. And welcome car problems as a learning experience
Amen to that one...experience is the best teacher.

You mentioned you want to get into street racing...My advice is do NOT do it at your young age. Go to a track first and foremost.
Who cares if you run high times...you are gaining experience and you will be putting less ppl in danger. PPL at a track will usually help you more than any "street racing" friends will anyway.

Personally I think the car you have is perfect for someone of your age to learn on and then move on to something bigger when you have the basics down.

If you want some help on the basics e-mail me at brandx99@yahoo.com I am not a mechanic but I started from the ground up and can help you with the milestones I encountered

------------------
My Mustang
91 LX Conv. 52,000 orig mi. Hurst shifter,King Cobra clutch, 3.55 grs, NOS 150 kit, MSD 6al, MSD timing control, malory coil, pullies, adj fuel reg, BBK 70mm tb, Pro-m 75mm maf, battery in trunk, JBA: shorties,subs,strut tower brc, Comp eng. 6 point cage, dynomax 2 1/2" exhaust, Hotchkis lower cntrl arms, MAC cold air kit, off road h pipe.

[This message has been edited by ed1371 (edited 06-26-2001).]
ed1371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2001, 12:55 PM   #11
NoSlow5.0
YOU HAVE NO MARBLES!!!!!!

Wink

Like the others said, a 3.8 is not the best starting point for speed. But you are young and i'm guessing not to experienced. I would basicaly leave the 6 cyl alone save for mabey a couple of add ons that won't cost much. You need to get farmiliar with your stang and how it acts before you start shoving more power at it. You can blow a couple of thousand dollars on this car, and still have a car that is not that quick, and won't be able to get you much when u sell it. You may not want to hear this, but leave it pretty much stock and get good at driving. I a couple of years after you have saved up some $$$ and are prepaired for power, sell your well taken care of v6 and by a used GT as a platform to start on. You will have more $$, expierience, and knowledge if you stay here, and it will all be better in the long run. Trust me on this one. I am 20 and my first 2 vehicles were SSSSLLLLOOOOWWWW!!!. I was thinking about ricing out my honda to TRY and make it fast, but i smartened up and just saved my $$ till a found the Fox GT i had always wanted.

Best decision. Light Em Up!! Jonathan

------------------
My 87 GT....Marbles
AIM: Marbles87Fox
Light Em Up!!!
NoSlow5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2001, 01:26 PM   #12
Smokedawg
Tires Fear Me...

Wantingamustang--check your mustangworks mailbag.

------------------
347 Stroker Motor: Balanced, Cobra Transmission, Extrude Ported and Polished Upper and ported Lower, GT40 Milled Ported and Polished Heads, B303 Cam, BBK 1 5/8 Headers, 30lb Bosch Injectors, Holley AFPR, March Underdrive Pulleys, Perma-Cool Fan, 3-Core Radiator, Accel Performance Coil, Accel 300+ Racing Wires, Ram Air, K&N Filter, 73mm Vortech MAF, 70mm TB, FlowMaster Exhaust w/BBK Offroad H-Pipe, Hurst Shifter, 3:55 Gears, Ram Clutch, Cross Drilled Rotors, AC and Smog del, rear seat del.
Smokedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2001, 06:46 PM   #13
wantingamustang
Registered Member

hey thanks everyone for responding. the main reason i went for the v6 and not v8 is insurcance. the insurance alone for the v6 was more then half the price of the car! $3900 for it under my name! and for a v8 i dont even want to imagine what insurance for a 17 year old new driver would be. so solution was to get v6 and put it under my parents name and insurance is only $1200. i apreciate everyone for responding and leaving places to contact them. i will contact each of you who left it. but this week is gonna be busy for me so hopefully next week i can talk to you all. thanks again for all the help