MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-12-2001, 01:53 AM   #1
ed1371
Registered Member

Post on my way home...

So there I was, minding my own buisness (always seems to start this way)cruising back from a run to the store. I can roll around with the bottle open now that my clutch has gone through its break in period.
A few thoughts about all the power that is roaming the streets thanks to the classic car show that went on this weekend may have been a factor as to why I took the long way back from the store but it really doesn't occupy my mind for any longer than a brief moment.
As I pull up to a stop light I see a few muscle cars coming the opposite way waiting for green also. I recognized the closest to me being a beautiful charger, I couldn't tell what the other was. They were gunning thier engines ready to race, I envied them for finding each other and even a bit frustrated. (it HAS been a while since having a race and I was very tired of babying the the clutch.)
Almost home I hear a high pitched buzzing sound. A swarm of bees? No, it was a very riced out prelude, early ninties, with the reqisite primered ground effects that show they have niether the patience, nor the money to paint them before displaying them to obviously jealous(?) motorists that have the priviledge of viewing such a fine example of what a fast car looks like.
I slow down so the light ahead has time to go to red. Doing so must have irritated the driver judgeing from the distance he was tailgating me and he hopped into the other lane.
I look over at the driver and instantly recognize him as a fellow Marine from the haircut, still a teenager, new to the Corps. That explains the lack of money at least.
As he hit his throttle to throw a few revs from his hampster wheels I was already hitting the arming switch and adjusted my timing.
I was going to relieve 3 weeks of frustration on this poor guy. I entertained the thought of him trading in his "car" after tonight, but I know they never learn.
I rev to 1500 and hold it as I see the light on the perpendicular street turn to yellow then red. Light goes green and my experiance with the new clutch shows a little with some unwelcome tire spin, not too bad to ruin it though. He was only a few feet on me when my tires got traction and I wound out first gear within a second, slammed into second gear and noticed he wasn't even beside me any more. My thumb hit the button on my shifter and I was pressed into my seat as the juice flowed. Third came and went as I continued to place distance between us. I shut it down halfway through 4th and smiled as I looked into my rear view mirror.
Slowed down and to my surprise, no fly by! Got to another red and he pulled beside me with a huge grin on his face. He dropped his passenger window down and said "holy s*it thats fast!" I thanked him and mentioned that my car wasn't really that fast compared to a lot of 5.0s out there.
Maybe he had learned something...maybe not...there is always hope!

------------------
My Mustang
91 LX Conv. 52,000 orig mi. Hurst shifter,King Cobra clutch, 3.55 grs, NOS 150 dry kit, MSD 6al, MSD timing control, malory coil, pullies, fms adj fuel reg, BBK 70mm tb, Pro-m 75mm maf, battery in trunk, JBA shorties, JBA subs, JBA strut tower brc, dynomax "super turbo" 2 1/2 exhaust, FMS billit distrib, Hotchkis lower cntrl arms, MAC Fenderwell cold air kit, off road h pipe.
ed1371 is offline   Reply With Quote