MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-13-2001, 08:23 AM   #1
lyonsd
Registered Member

Thumbs up Beat my own Grand National!

I've been having some problems with my Mustang lately. I won't go into details though. But I got them worked out with the help of some cat named Jared from the Corral who lives nearby.

So we took my Mustang out, with me behind the wheel and Jared in my '87 GN.

My Mustang has a few mods, and does my GN. The GN was tuned as follows:
  • 9" K&N underhod cone filter & aluminum inlet pipe
  • Jet-Hot coated Terry Houston downpipe & high-flow cat
  • Adjustable wastegate rod with boost set to 19-20 psi
  • 100 octane Thrasher chip with Sunoco 100 octane in the tank
  • Traction enhancers: HRpartsNstuff rear lower control arms, Eaton posi, and BFG 265/50-15 Radial T/As in the rear

We couldn't get a light, so the first time we went form a roll. Side by side, at about 25-30mph, we hit it. I was in 2nd. I pulled out ahead and got about 2-car lengths ahead. But I shut it down because I really wanted to go from a stop.

This is the first time Jared has driven a turbo Regal. So I told him to put it in "D", launch at 2-3 psi and launch hard because I just had the Eaton posi put in and it hooks pretty good.

So we go down the road a ways and at the next light there's a bunch of traffic. That's the last good light on that road to race on, so we made a left, and turned around through this car wash and got the red light at the same intersection going in the opposite direction.

Now we're set: my car vs. my car. I rev the 'Stang up to around 2500-3000 rpm and Jared is brake-torquing my GN. Light goes green and I execute a textbook-perfect launch, immediatly putting 1½-2 car lengths on my GN. I powershift second and get a nice loud SCREEEEECH and my GN is hanging right there - 1½-2 car lengths behind. It stayed that way all the way through 2nd and 3rd gear, before I finally shut it down, with neither my GN reeling me in, nor me pulling away.

Mustang wins by 1½-2 car lengths.

This is the first time my GN's been beaten in a street race. But since I wasn't diving I can still claim I'm undefeated with it.

Jared said he didn't have a very good launch. That's understandable since it was his first time behind the wheel of a turbo Regal. If he had gotten me off the line, he would have won. The cars seemed to be dead evenly matched.

The Mustang has 140,000 miles on it, and here's its mod list:
  • Mass air conversion with Pro-M 77mm mass air meter and K&N underhood cone filter
  • 65mm throttle body
  • '93 Cobra intake
  • Stock heads, mildly ported with slightly bigger valves
  • Hedman long tube headers
  • Kenne-Bell Mark II-117R cam
  • Motorsport aluminum 1.6:1 roller rocker arms
  • 14º initial timing
  • Romac harmonic balancer
  • Bassani Off-road X-pipe & "Quiet Thunder" mufflers ("Quiet" Thunder my *** - these things are loud!)
  • 3-piece under-drive pullies (crank, water pump, alternator)
  • SPAL dual electric fans on Griffin radiator with built-in oil cooler
  • Motorsport heavy duty clutch
  • 3.73 rear gears
  • MSD Digital-6 ignition
  • Traction enhancers: Lakewood traction bars, Global West full-length subframes, and BFG 275/50-15 Radial T/As in the rear

The combo is a little mismatched. That cam is big. Real big. Any bigger and I've needed to notch the pistons. Too much for stock heads (even if they're ported).

Both cars have all the necessary supporting mods, such as fuel system enhancements to supply the necessary fuel, plug wires, etc...
lyonsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2001, 10:58 AM   #2
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

I had a simular experience when I race my truck in my CRX to prove that the honda would run a high 15

We knew that my truck runs 16.60 cause I have taken it to the track before I smoked my truck by 5 lengths and won 50 bucks in the process

------------------
88 mustang gt convertible bored to 306 BBk equal length headers mac cold air fender kit 3.73 FMS gears cowl hood nitto drag radials ford racing clutch flow masters h-pipe 160* thermostat 16 degrees of timing electric fan off 94' t-bird jacobs electronics cap and wires. Edelbrock 1 1/2 inch drop springs.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2001, 04:20 PM   #3
White5.0
Registered Member

what are your cam specs ?
White5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2001, 04:05 AM   #4
84LX89GT
Mustangs

That had to be a real weird feeling racing your own vehicle with someone else in it. Were you worried at all that they'd crash it? Congrats on having 2 bad @ss cars !

------------------
previous name: 84stangLX
'84 Mustang 5.0 LX
my LX
'89 Mustang GT
my GT

84LX89GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2001, 08:15 AM   #5
lyonsd
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by White5.0:
what are your cam specs ?
A Kenne-Bell Mark II-117R is very similar to a Motorsport X303. Same lift, and same duration, but 2º less on intake and 2º more on exhaust. It's also got a low overlap and the lobe center is at 117º.

Quote:
Originally posted by 84LX89GT:
That had to be a real weird feeling racing your own vehicle with someone else in it. Were you worried at all that they'd crash it?
Normally in a street race you sometimes might have those "butterflies" in your stomach because you might lose. And you're all pumped up with adrenaline. I was pretty calm, kind of like your third or fourth time trial at the drag strip, and I wasn't concerned with losing in this case. But I did try hard to win.
lyonsd is offline   Reply With Quote