MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-04-2001, 09:57 AM   #1
Smokedawg
Tires Fear Me...

Post Took my chances against a 00'GT

Last night I followed a 00'GT out of town that looks just like lizard kings. He said he runs 13.6 at the track with flowmaster, K&N, and pulleys..We start from a stop, we are both sitting still all the way through first spinning. We hit second and there he goes, my car bogs down less than 500rpm, damn near died(WHATS CAUSING THIS, ITS HAPPENED BOTH TIMES I HAVE RACED NOW ON THE SHIFT TO 2ND). I just shut down because after the bog he was done gone. I ask him to go again from about 25 that way I am done past my bogging stage. We line up and I give him the jump, I quickly jump one car on him and by 80 I have pulled to a little more than a car and a half. He was suprised at my mustangs power. I told him it wasnt doing as well as it should because of this damn intake..I know that intake has to be killing my setup..

Remember that WS6 I was suppost to race? Well we road raced and I pulled about a car on him, we also went from a 25mph roll. The WS6 and the 00'GT was damn close. He G-Tech'd his WS6 2 times while I was with him, it first went 13.3 then 13.1....He then went to the track and only pulled out a 14.0 with horrible traction.

------------------
347 Stroker Motor: Balanced, Cobra Transmission, Extrude Ported and Polished Upper and ported Lower, GT40 Milled Ported and Polished Heads, B303 Cam, BBK 1 5/8 Headers, 30lb Bosch Injectors, Holley AFPR, March Underdrive Pulleys, Perma-Cool Fan, 3-Core Radiator, Accel Performance Coil, Accel 300+ Racing Wires, Ram Air, K&N Filter, 73mm Vortech MAF, 70mm TB, FlowMaster Exhaust w/BBK Offroad H-Pipe, Hurst Shifter, 3:55 Gears, Ram Clutch, Cross Drilled Rotors, AC and Smog del, rear seat del.
Smokedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2001, 11:25 AM   #2
FivepointOH
Registered Member

What year car is this in? No offense but if I had a 347 and could only beat a new gt by a car and a half I would get rid of it...
FivepointOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2001, 11:34 AM   #3
LincoConti87
Registered Member

dude didn't you hear him say he has a bogging problem? And who would throw away any mustang
LincoConti87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2001, 12:58 PM   #4
Skyman
I need 110mph Trap Speed!

Your car has some serious issues. IMHO its not near that projected 440hp yet.

A 00gt w/ those mods probably has 275hp at best. They are quick, but you should have the topend to kick the **** outta it.

Skyler

------------------
-1989 Saleen Mustang #406-
TFS TW Heads, E-303, Edelbrock intake, 70mm TB, 73mm MAF, 24lb injectors, 1 5/8 shorties, Off Road H, 3 Chamber flows, Jaz Race seats, Back seat removed, sub-frames, Roll Cage, and a 80 shot of N20.
12.54@107.4 Motor
1.69 60'
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2001, 05:05 PM   #5
Smokedawg
Tires Fear Me...

FivePointO--
As anyone will tell you 347's need alot of air to breathe..And I am only running a STOCK upper and lower intake ported. I ran out of cash. I am now saving towards a new Edelbrock RPM.
I had him by a car in a half from 30 to 80. Thats not very far!

Someone here not to long ago said because of the shitty intake and cam I am prob only pushing like 280RWHP..Any guess's on what that new intake and custom ground cam will take me to?

------------------
347 Stroker Motor: Balanced, Cobra Transmission, Extrude Ported and Polished Upper and ported Lower, GT40 Milled Ported and Polished Heads, B303 Cam, BBK 1 5/8 Headers, 30lb Bosch Injectors, Holley AFPR, March Underdrive Pulleys, Perma-Cool Fan, 3-Core Radiator, Accel Performance Coil, Accel 300+ Racing Wires, Ram Air, K&N Filter, 73mm Vortech MAF, 70mm TB, FlowMaster Exhaust w/BBK Offroad H-Pipe, Hurst Shifter, 3:55 Gears, Ram Clutch, Cross Drilled Rotors, AC and Smog del, rear seat del.

[This message has been edited by Smokedawg (edited 08-04-2001).]
Old 08-04-2001, 06:00 PM   #6
Unit 5302
Registered Member

280rwhp is way high. More like 280 flywheel. Your car is lighter than a new GT by a good 200-300lbs, you should have whooped it even with equal hp.

Your injectors are too big, and your intake is too small. Everybody runs outta money, but right now I wouldn't expect your combo to get anywhere near 300hp+. The intake will not support it, and the injectors you have are so far overkill it's not even funny. With the spray pattern they have, I'm kinda suprised it even runs.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2001, 07:18 PM   #7
Smokedawg
Tires Fear Me...

Well..After hearing all these replys..
I think I am going to sell the ol' stang. A buddy of mine has a 95 Z28 with cold air, header back exhaust, short throw shifter, and mass air meter that he wants to trade..I think its a good idea. He runs low 13's..

------------------
Old 08-04-2001, 10:39 PM   #8
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Hey man, don't be blaming the car. You've just horribly mismatched the combo. A lot of people do it. Unfortunately, you're in a bit of a tight spot to get the serious power by adding more parts right now.

While the GT40 heads, the B cam, and a ported stock intake can improve the performance of a stock 5.0, the intake especially, restricts the amount of power you can make with a 347.

If you don't have the money, and you are dying to get more speed now, get a carb setup. Sell all your EFI stuff, you'll break even or do better. The heads will be functional, and with a good carb/intake combo, you'll make WAY more power than what you have right now.

I'm not a huge fan of the carb scene, I think it's generally a step back, but in your case, it'll be cheaper to get some power now. If you get a carb/intake that is good and tuned well you'll be going from your probable 250hp to more like 350hp. The GT40 heads won't support your desire for 400hp, but messed with a little, they should get you to 350.
Old 08-04-2001, 10:42 PM   #9
bada$$lx

Cool

No way....don't even think about sellin' out on us ! There's no doubt that you would've spanked them all from the go if you didn't have the probs in 1st gear. I see 3 problems w/ your set up: you need a better cam, you obviously need better breathing (intake), and with those 30#ers, you need to upgrade your fuel pump. The small fuel pump is what I think is causing you to bog in 1st (unless your fp is turned way up there to compensate).

------------------
'90 LX 5.0;12K original miles (no sh*&);3.55 gears; March pulleys;Edelbrock Performer Heads;BBK 1 5/8" equal length shorties;MSD 6AL ignition w/ blaster 2 coil;FMS E303 cam;Pro-M 75mm MAF;BBK 70mm TB; Eibach drag-launch spring kit;Southside welded subs;K&N cone filter charger;Hurst shifter;Cervini's 3" turbo hood;A/C delete; gutted cats;2 chamber Flomasters;Corbeau racing seats;FMS 30# injectors;JMS chip; Holley 190lb fp;TFS track heat Intake (12.299 @ 113 - 1.78 60')
Old 08-05-2001, 02:37 PM   #10
Skyman
I need 110mph Trap Speed!

Dont sell out for an Lt1 just because you fucked up your motor combo.

Sorry, but I wouldn't be so harsh if you hadnt argued with me for days how you know everything and don't need my advice. Maybe if you took it you would have a 400hp car by now.

Anyways you know what needs to get done. A new cam, I would say a better intake than the edelbrock rpm... How about a Vic Jr?

Who ported your heads? Still have 12:1 compression? You need to find why your car is dying on shifts, somethings really wrong there, is your Maf calibrated for your injectors. Upgrade the valve springs in those heads. Get a decent fuel pump. How much timing are you able to run w/ that much compression? How much FP are you running?

Skyler

------------------
-1989 Saleen Mustang #406-
TFS TW Heads, E-303, Edelbrock intake, 70mm TB, 73mm MAF, 24lb injectors, 1 5/8 shorties, Off Road H, 3 Chamber flows, Jaz Race seats, Back seat removed, sub-frames, Roll Cage, and a 80 shot of N20.
12.54@107.4 Motor
[b][i]332RWHP, 350rwtq[b][i]
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2001, 07:34 PM   #11
Smokedawg
Tires Fear Me...

My MAF is calibrated for my injectors...How much is the Vic Jr. intake? Who has it, i havent seen it in summit or jegs unless I am looking over it.
Changing to carburated isnt a option..
I guess my next mod will be a 190lph fuel pump. Then I am going to buy the cam and intake at the same time. Also I will be installing my new struts and shocks soon. 70/30 struts and 50/50 shocks..

------------------
Old 08-05-2001, 10:24 PM   #12
WADS56
gear banger

If you trade the stang for the camaro you will be kicking your self in the *** . He will put a intake on it,take it to the track, and run 12's all day.

Unit has a good point with the carb setup. Throw a vic. jr on it with a 750cfm carb and it will wake up allot. I would stay with the EFI though. You have ported gt40's so they should flow o.k. I Would put a Systemax II intake on there with a nice cam. Keep the 30's and get a better pump.

------------------
NA 347 W/ stage 2 Canfield heads, out of the box Victor 5.0 intake, solid roller cam, Aeromotive fuel system.
MY CAR http://www.mustangworks.com/cgi-bin/...splay.cgi?1288
WADS56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2001, 04:57 PM   #13
Smokedawg
Tires Fear Me...

So where can I find these intakes..The systematics..Vic Jr?? Wouldnt it be best to go with a custom ground cam?
How much should a intake open up to my power.
How much is the systematics intake?

------------------
Old 08-06-2001, 06:25 PM   #14
Unit 5302
Registered Member

If you want to stay EFI, the three intakes I think you should be looking at are

#1 Trick Flow Street Heat.
#2 Trick Flow Track Heat.
#3 Explorer.

Of those the Track Heat will flow the best, it'll set you back about $450. The Street Heat will flow right with the Holley, a couple cfm less, for about $400, and with your current heads/cam will be more than enough. The Explorer will flow way better than stock, but it will be restrictive on a 347, the bonus, you can pick it up for about $250 on Ebay. It's nearly the same as the GT-40 and Cobra intakes. The Holley Systemax intake will set you back between about $550-600.

You don't need 30lb injectors. 24lbers will make every bit of the hp you're looking to get. They'll produce a better spray pattern as well. Getting a bigger cam on the GT40's won't do much for you. Adding a set of 1.7's might. That'll give you about .514 lift, and 224* duration. That's about as healthy as the GT40's will really like IMHO. The secret to this is now matching your components. You don't have any components, other than the injectors that are really high power parts. Adding a big *** cam won't help you if your heads can't flow it.

If you are running the stock? fuel pump, that is a HUGE issue. The stock pump flows anywhere between 88-92lph, and it won't support more than about 260hp, give or take a few. Even if you had your fuel pressure turned way up, which is a big no no when making 280hp with 30lb injectors, the pump can only flow so much.

Take what you have, and match the combo. You'll make solid hp, and you'll be happier for now. You could get a custom grind, but you've already got a cam that will support nearly the hp your heads will. If you add 1.7's, you'll be fine for a cam with your heads.
Old 08-06-2001, 09:05 PM   #15
Smokedawg
Tires Fear Me...

Thanks alot unit for you info. I will check up on all those parts. Why do you prefer the trick flow over the edelbrock performer or rpm?? I guess I will wait on a custom cam until I get a new set of heads.

------------------
Old 08-07-2001, 01:15 AM   #16
WADS56
gear banger

If you are buying a set of heads I would wait and do it all at once. Then you can be sure it will all work well together. If you buy a intake to complement your gt40's chances are that if you get a good set of heads that flow enough for a 347 your intake will be a restriction again. Not to mention you will be diong twice the work if you put a intake on then do heads later. I would get a set of victor jr's, ported trick flows, or canfield heads with a systemax II, trick flow R, or victor 5.0 intake. Throw in a wicked custom cam and you will be set. You will be doing 11's at the track n.a. I have a setup like this and I have massive top end with good grunt down low.

------------------
NA 347 W/ stage 2 Canfield heads, out of the box Victor 5.0 intake, solid roller cam, Aeromotive fuel system.
MY CAR http://www.mustangworks.com/cgi-bin/...splay.cgi?1288
WADS56 is offline   Reply With Quote