MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-28-2001, 07:59 PM   #1
82 GT
Import Slayer

Post Did you ever pick on a lesser car?

Did you ever get bored and decide to pick on a car that you KNOW you can run circles around, just for the hell of it?
The other day this dude was driving around in a '85 or earlier 305 camaro and it was beat to hell with blue smoke coming from the tail pipes. So I follow him through all around town until he gets the idea I am following him. He heads out to the nearest highway and stops at the stop sign with me right behind him and floors it around the corner and out the road. I had to make my stop and I turned the corner after him, missed 2nd gear and STILL reeled him in and blew past him. I shut it down and I see him come flying up behind me,thinking he is going to blow past me but I downshifted to 3rd as soon as he was next to me and you should have seen the look on his face because he was so surprised I was RIGHt behind already and passed him again. We get to the next light and he just throws his hands in the air in submission....LOL
It was funny. I don't claim that as a kill but was just having fun

------------------
'82 GT 351W,BBK shorties,
Comp Cam,edelbrock intake
625 cfm carter carb. c-4 tranny w/ pro stick shifter. 4 core radiator
Mallory distributor. 3:27

82 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2001, 08:04 PM   #2
sedanman
Registered Member

yeah actually I raced a 305 camaro myself today on the interstate going like 70 he kicks it I leave it in 5th and I still begin to pull I was laughing my a$$ off so much it almost hurt.

How do you miss a shift when you have a automatic?
sedanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2001, 08:49 PM   #3
Rev
Registered Member

I did this a couple of years ago to a Celica GT, about a '99. He was driving aggressively and I hadn't had a race for a month or so. He had two great big dual exhaust that looked like Borla. I thought, well, maybe a turbo or N2O. He must have been bone stock except for the exhaust because I put 10-15 lengths on him up to 80 from a light. I was actually embarrassed for having picked on a 4 banger. He was cool though and asked what engine I was running. I just said "306" as the next light changed again and didn't have time to chat. I even posted this. The title of the post was "I'm embarrassed".

Rev

------------------
'66 Coupe, 306, 300 HP, C-4, 13.97 e.t., 100.3 mph
1/4 mi.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2001, 08:57 PM   #4
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

NEVER....

Unless they picked on me first or was showing off.

-------------------------------
'79 Mustang Coup
4" Cowl
Weld wheels (15x6;15x8)
Stock 5.8L
C4 w/ shift kit
1.5" MAC full length headers
Holley 750 CFM
Edelbrock intake
2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters
8.8" Rear end w/ 3.55 gears (Now that's more like it!!)
Front: 225/60/15 Rear: 255/60/15 Eagle GT II
14 x 4” K&N air filter (getting the Xtreme setup soon)

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2001, 09:11 PM   #5
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Exclamation

Sure, but only if they ask for it; like trying to beat me out at a light where the road merges to one lane or some other situation where I don't want to 'lose'.
I've 'raced' some pretty lame cars from time to time under those conditions but I wouldn't waste my gas looking for these kind of easy 'wins' beacuse it is kind of lame to beat out some 80 HP rice-mobile or 15-year- old clunker that burns oil. Sometimes, I just let 'em go if I'm tired or distracted or the traffic is too thick to risk getting up too much speed with no room to slow down.
Still, you gotta do what you gotta do sometimes, including dusting a clunker.
No big deal.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2001, 10:13 PM   #6
82 GT
Import Slayer

Sedanman, I had my '88GT at the time which is a T-5. Sorry, I didn't mention that fact in my story. I try to mention what car I am in to avoid confusion because of my signature but sometimes I forget to and people get confused. I will have to modify my signature since I have another 'stang now.
Old 03-28-2001, 11:20 PM   #7
Fostang
Registered Member

MR5.0 Don't underestimate those 15 year oil burning cars. I remember my valve seals not doing their job and I was blowing smoke everytime I punched it or cranked the engine. I had a guy in a 95 gt next to me one and the occupants were laughing at the smoke and covering their nose. That's when I throw a rev. He looks at me like "Easy Kill." Light goes green and he had a rubber and oil smoke sandwich that day.

------------------
67'fastback- Edelbrock carb, intake, cam, valve springs. Road lifters, Comp Cam rocker arms, windage tray, cerama coated headers, dual flows with H-pipe, modded c-4, tci stall converter, perma cool electric fan, aluminum water pump, griffen aluminum radiator, accel 8.8 cable, wide cap distriburator, magnetic pick up, manley valves, v-matic hurst shifter, edelbrock performer nitrous, carter electric fuel pump, ignitor coil, solid motor mounts, magna racing suspension, poly urathane bushings, und

[This message has been edited by Fostang (edited 03-28-2001).]
Fostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2001, 11:37 PM   #8
46stang
Registered Member

hell yes. mostly when they mess with me first. hell on the way home from carlsbad, there was a (96-98)4.6 gt stang that had to have 5 people crammed into it. they pull up beside me on the freeway and started reving me. it was funny seeing all these heads staring at me through the window. I only had me and my wife. so I said screw it I'll put his dumb a$$ in his place. he down shifts into 4th and starts pulling, i put it into 3rd and blow by him then grabbed 4th. those 96-98 heads are dogs. plus like a 1000+ lbs in his car. retard.

------------------
96 stang,ported 99 heads, 99 intake, 99 cams,Steeda power pullies, 373's, 70mm t/b, gutted maf, bassani x-pipe w/cats, ultraflow catback,iat mod, home depot ram air, k@n. fms spings, tri-ax shifter.
46stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2001, 12:54 PM   #9
LincoConti87
Registered Member

I can't really say I have picked on people since I'm always the one with the slow car. Had someone pick on me once when I had my 150$ 86 mercury cougar. Pulled to a light next to a newer style camaro that looked like an RS or maybe a z and we and my cousins were lookin at it cus we thought it was cool. I forget if they revved at me or somethin but I floored it and 10 seconds later I'm doing 15 mph and they are at the next light it was funny. They gave me like 5 lengths or somethin. My cousins were like ok you can stop now cus my car sounded like it was going to blow up with the engine problem it had I was running on 5 cylinders I think.
I do remember one time on one of those merge roads I was already over and it was close to being only 1 lane and some preppy jerk in a Lexus sc400 decides that it would be fun to go around me and cut me off for no reason so he comes around and tries to do one of those I'm gonna run into you unless you step on the brakes and I was like fool I'm driving an 86 Ford you can kiss my @ss and buy me a new fender so I just hit the horn and kept on driving and he was pissed so later he went around and cut me off and flicked me off through the sunroof...it was hilarious! Its cool to have money but it must suck to be stupid.

------------------
Rob meister
87 Lincoln Continental
LincoConti87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2001, 04:01 PM   #10
84stangLX

I'm such a bastard....today i raced my friend who has a '91 Plymouth Acclaim 2.2L auto. I wouldn't really call it a race. We were going uphill from a stoplight. I started behind him and got next to him almost instantly and by the top i was going about 80 while he was going like 25 or 30. I saw him gas it and the rear end sank on his car and i saw him laughing so i figured i'd show him some taillights. It almost wasn't fun. About a month ago i smoked an Acura Legend V6 (2 dr) and smoked his fly by's also, so yes, i'll pick on lesser cars because most fast cars will smoke me.

------------------
'84 Mustang 5.0 T5, FMS aluminum radiator & 180* thermostat, 1 5/8 shortys/2.5" duals, '88 GT tail lights and wheels, Holley 4160 4 BBL, smog pump idler, more coming soon
Old 03-29-2001, 05:28 PM   #11
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Exclamation

fastang:

You make a good point but I know enough to listen to the others guys' engine and the clunkers usually sound like clunkers, oil smoke or no. A good-running, modified old car (whatever the breed) usually looks and sounds good and that alerts me to the fact that I may get dusted or at least that I shouldn't get too cocky. This is how I manage to win most of the stoplight races I get into. Respect for the other guys car and knowing when to forget it and let him rev and go. Idiots in grocery-getters that try to cut me off or otherwise make driving a chore get blown off immediately, road/weather conditions permitting. I'm an aggressive driver and don't tolerate screwballs messing with me but I'm also not insane.
Sometimes you just gotta let 'em pass but if the situation is safe for speed, I use it.
That's part of the point of having a Mustang.

[This message has been edited by Mr 5 0 (edited 03-29-2001).]
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2001, 10:22 PM   #12
82 GT
Import Slayer

My buddy is into the early Nova's and he use to drive around in these multi-colored nova's that looked like it just came from the junkyard but he would always have a nasty built 350 under the hood. Man!! would his cars fly.
One thing about those old Chevy's is that you could spend only $1000-1500 on an engine and have a mean a$$ car.

------------------
'82 GT 351W C-4,BBK headers,Carter 625 carb,Comp.Cam,Flowmaster exhaust.
1988 GT...T-5,bone stock
Old 03-30-2001, 11:45 PM   #13
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

Sure I pick on lesser cars all the tim.....................Oh wait there aren't any cars lesser than mine. Opps my bad.

------------------
1990 Dodge Dynasty with 175,000 miles. Mods:chiped paint, CD player. Sucks but it was free. Praying for a stang.
The "Guetto Glider"

P.S. watch out cobra owners it's a freak
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2001, 12:36 AM   #14
white00GT
Registered Member

Ok you tell me if this would be considered me picking on a lesser car, or the lesser car trying to pick on me and me putting it in its place. Today when I was driving home from columbia a 96-98gt started trying to run me on 378 out of Sumter. I really didn't much care for the race but I though what the hey why not. The guy in the gt was determined to run. I started playing around with him only using 5th and 6th gears we were going 70-75. When I would leave it in 6th he would just pull on me a little. We did this acouple of times untill I got tired of it so then I started doing the same thing in 5th. Except when I would run him in 5th I would pull him 1.5-2 car lengths between 70 and somewhere inbetween 80-85. He started getting pissed when I would beat him. He wouldn't give me a thumbs up or anything when I started to beat him. That kinda pissed me off so of course I had to do it...I dropped it in 4th and lined up and blew him away. It was so funny when the guy saw me just walk him, I am guessing probably 5-6 car lengths before I hit 90ish from 75. He threw his hands up in the air all pissed off. It was funny to see him all pissed. So is that him just not knowing when to quit or is that me picking on a lesser car?

------------------
2000 Mustang GT
white00GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2001, 01:09 AM   #15
82 GT
Import Slayer

I would say that is you picking on a lesser car because you knew darn well that the other guy didn't have a supercharger like you have.....shame on you!

------------------
1988 GT...T-5,bone stock
Old 03-31-2001, 08:53 AM   #16
rbatson

Talking

I usually don't screw with someone unless they are trying to show me they are fast, which seems to be alot lately. I had a toyota GTS(I think it said on the back) trying to get bragging rights, I got on it just enough for him to stop his clowning . I've had a couple suv's act like they wanted some, what is up with that?!? One of the suv's was cocky(I couldn't believe it), he was making gestures and alot of bs. I just shifted it to 2nd and stabbed the throttle a few times. He stopped his bs immediately.

------------------
Rick
My 89lx(updated 2/21/2001)
My 97 Cobra
Old 04-01-2001, 12:29 AM   #17
white00GT
Registered Member

Question

Awww come on 82 GT you can't say that you wouldn't have done the same thing...plus it was fun . Just remember in a street race you have to be prepared...

------------------
2000 Mustang GT
white00GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2001, 01:24 AM   #18
gp001
Registered Member

Talking

Every car is a lesser car !
JUST KIDDING

------------------
347 (Coast High short block), 279/284 .493/.510, TFS TW, Stealth, 750, Flowtech hdrs, Dr. Gas X, 2 Chmbr Flowmaster, MSD 6AL-Dist.& SS coil, March serpentine pulley system, Art Carr C-4, Currie 9" w/3.55, alum Drv Shft, susp mods, Total Control subframes & tower braces, Trans Am Racing power dual master, 4 wheel disc
In a 66 coupe
gp001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2001, 01:40 AM   #19
jonnyk
Being stroked is great

I just picked on an older Prelude tonight. I don't get many good races and I drive a LOT, so I tend to get bored and feel the need to play with something (don't go there). Often it's anything with young kids in, as they tend to get rowdy before I shut em up.

------------------
1991 LX Hatch 5.0L
jonnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2001, 12:48 PM   #20
82 GT
Import Slayer

Your're right white00GT, I would have done the same thing. That other guy should have known that he was out matched. Yeah, sometimes I like to flex my muscles a bit just to give the other guy something to think about.
I guess you can never tell just what the other guy has under the hood though.

------------------
1988 GT...T-5,bone stock