MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-08-2001, 12:31 AM   #1
QuantumMotorsports
Registered Member

Post Ever been pulled over for racing?

Just curious how many people have been pulled over for racing and not ticketed. Saw it happen tonight, some lucky people, but has this ever happened to you? Didn't know cops were that cool about it.

------------------
Michael Black
Quantum Motorsports
Norman, Oklahoma

1988 Merc Cougar 5.0 HO, Ported and Polished E7TEs, 2.25" duals w/ 2 chamber flowmasters, T5 tranny
New E/T!!!
14.626 @ 94.94mph, 2.194 60' time, a little better than last time. Keep in mind this thang is heavy (3590lbs) Finally 14s!!!!

QuantumMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2001, 12:37 AM   #2
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

The cop that pulled me over for racing was a d!ck head. Ticket and all. Never seen it happen before, are you sure you werent dreaming?
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2001, 03:27 AM   #3
white00GT
Registered Member

Wow ...I must say if you saw somebody get pulled over for racing, and not get ticketed. Then they must have been the luckies people in the world.

------------------
2000 Mustang GT
white00GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2001, 12:06 PM   #4
82 GT
Import Slayer

This subject brings back memories now!!
This was back in 1987. My buddy let me borrow his '74 Nova for the night. It had a worked 350 with a 4 speed. There was this other friend I knew that had this Plymouth Satellite with a stock 318 and thought it was fast. My buddy never wanted to race him because he said it would be a waste of his time. Anyway,the night I had his car I just so happened to find the Satellite dude!!
I followed him to the road out of town and we both go on it as we made the last corner.
(This was about 1:00am so we had no traffic at all). Well after 2nd gear was finished burning rubber for 50ft,we were about even but it was all over for the Plymouth after that. This was a 3 mile stretch of road and we both kept it hammered. I slowed to the speed limit and he caught up. I punched it again and went some more. (playing at this point). We came to a redlight and saw the police coming behind us lights sirens and all!!
We both got fined for drag racing wich was a $200 fine w/automatic 6 month license suspension and Fleeing and attempting to allude police witch carried a $250 and another 6 month suspension!!
The cops said we were running from them because they were right across the street when we started racing from town and was chasing us as sson as we started!! (Both of us never saw then there!!)
The truth was I was so far ahead within a short time I never did seem them coming.
The cops said they hit 100 and we we both pulling on them. Maybe the other guy saw them at one point but I never did until a slowed down. I fought the fleeing ticket in court and won!!(good lawer). I was honest and said I was racing but did not intend to lose the police and the judge gave me the "Benefit of the doubt" as he said.
All in all I had a $200 fine and only 6 months suspension.
I still have a copy of those fines!!

------------------
'82 GT 351W C-4,BBK headers,Carter 625 carb,Comp.Cam,Flowmaster exhaust.
1988 GT...T-5,bone stock
82 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2001, 01:59 PM   #5
FivepointOH
Registered Member

One time I was driving down University(main street with clubs all along it) with 3 friends in the car, I rolled up to a light and there was a lt1 z28 next to me(cars in front of us). He revs and all my friends are egging me on to race him. I get space in front of me first and get on it a little bit and hop it(not speeding but it was loud), about 2 blocks down the crosstreet we where crossing at the light is a taco cabana. After we got through the intersection his lane cleared up and he got next to me, with us both going about 40. I wasn't sure if he was going to go or not when all of a sudden he takes off. I don't like to chase so I wait for him to slow down again. At this point my friends are all yelling(they where all drunk) for me to race. I get ready to go once we get even again when I see lights behind me. Undercover cop pulls over the camaro and I breathe a sigh of relief and am about to pass them when he swerves out in front of me and motions for me to pull over too. We both pull into mcdonalds and the cop proceeds to ask us all sorts of questions. Appaerntly he was outside at taco cabana and had heard me coming through the intersection and had gotten in his car and came after us. He said it's a good thing I didn't go when the camaro did or we would both be in jail. Let us both go.

------------------
92 AOD GT, K&N, ram air, pulleys, 2 ch. flowmasters, 4:10's, shift kit, 1 5/8 mac longtubes and offroad hpipe 14.249 @ 97.34 mph before the headers and hpipe
FivepointOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2001, 04:39 PM   #6
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Red face

You want a 'Caught Racing' story? Sure.

I was nabbed dragging a Firebird out on the infamous Berlin Turnpike at 1:00 am, some years back. The arresting cop had no sense of humor at all. I was ticketed for speeding (85 in a 50) and Reckless Driving.
My car was towed and impounded and I had to pay a $100. bail to go home, but at least I wasn't made to wait in a jail cell.
Woke up my wife who had to drive 30 miles at 2:00 am to pick me up with our toddler in tow. Fun.

Next day, I had to pay $60. for the tow and storage to the garage, but the car was O.K.
In court, I was my own lawyer and got the Reckless Driving charged kicked, but pled guilty to the speeding ticket and paid a $250. fine. No suspension. Total cost was $310. (and a annoyed but sympathetic spouse - she knew I went out to race).

If anyone gets caught racing and the cop let's you go, be very thankful. It's rare.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2001, 06:08 PM   #7
Rev
Registered Member

If anyone wants an historical anecdote, here it is. 1962 when I was a senior in HS, we used to go out of town a short piece on Memorial Drive at 2:00 AM Sun. morn, block off the street and line them up. Flagmen, "official" finish line (marked) "officials" and and other "organization officials" were present.

On one of these early morning things, probably 50-100 cars caravanned out there. I was in a car with 3 friends, a '55 Chevy with a built 327, close ratio Muncie 4-speed and a 456. What we would do is block off both ends and the cars would park on the shoulder (grass) up and down the marked 1/4 mile. The first cars lined up, '39 Ford with an Olds V-8 engine and a '61 Grand prix. They blasted down and we couldn't tell who won from back near the start as it looked close. Guess what? When they came back it wasn't them. Turns out we had been hemmed in at both ends by a city, county, state police "Task Force".

They arrested the "officials" at both ends and charged them with numerous crimes. Promoting illegal activity, blocking a public road, etc., etc. The spectators were investigated one at a time for anything illegal on their car. The guy whose car I was in got cited for illegal mufflers and a dim liscense plate light. Some others got stuck for alcohol infractions, but we didn't have any booze fortunately.

The rottenest thing for us was that after they made my friend start his car, check all the lights, inspection sticker, and liscence plates, and everything else, they wrote the two tickets and had him sign them. They said " give me your keys ,I need to search the trunk for illegal items". My friend complied. The cop opened the trunk and looked in. "Nope, nothing illegal in here". He then pitched the keys into the trunk and slammed it shut.

We were able to remove the back seat, push the divider out slightly and get the keys to go home with the 2 tickets my friend had. About $60 in 1962. To this day, I still think that giy who locked the keys in the trunk was an a$$.

------------------
'66 Coupe, 306, 300 HP, C-4, 13.97 e.t., 100.3 mph
1/4 mi.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2001, 06:48 PM   #8
dinomite
The Dude

I have to go to court on friday for my racing ticket. I was in my 90LX AOD convert, stock and slow, and saw a 94-94 cobra T5, so I got up next to him. We came to a light, got lined up, and raced once, needless to say he one, but not by that much, I stayed about at his door panel up to 60-70. Stopped at the next light, and this dick little kid (yes, I'm 16 too, but I know that I'm lucky to have this car) is giving a thumbs down! A$$HOLE! Well, despite that, we go again at the next light, and then (crazy lights round here) get stopped at the next light after not going very far. I pull away from that light pretty quick, and he tries to act cool but then tries to do a flyby, I floor it and stay right on him. before we even made it one light, flashy lights. Cop wasn't a dick, but had no slack, we both got tickets for reckless driving: racing.

If you get let go for racing, you are horribly lucky.
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2001, 08:09 PM   #9
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

Question

Ive never been stopped for racing, thank God, but I thought if you got pulled over for contest of speed, or racing, etc..that you went to jail. Isnt that the law?

------------------
Black 2000 GT
Magnaflow Catback, K&N
StoplightWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2001, 08:22 PM   #10
Rev
Registered Member

I think it depends on what jurisdiction (city, state, etc.). Some are much stricter than others. Some places, I think they even sieze your car and keep it. What a bummer that would be.

Rev

------------------
'66 Coupe, 306, 300 HP, C-4, 13.97 e.t., 100.3 mph
1/4 mi.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2001, 09:49 PM   #11
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Red face

It was back in September or October 1996.

Me in my 88GT rolling along down 169-N towards Champlin, MN from Brooklyn Park. Up comes some young kid in a yellow 94-95 Mustang GT. After a few runs from like 60-120 it was obvious the SN95 didn't really stand a chance, but the kid didn't wanna give up.

He took off and I took off one more time, I shut down again at about 120 hard downshifting to drop my speed down. I was back to the limit and he was 30 cars infront of me. He had to brake for the next light, it turned green and we both rolled through, got to the next stoplight at Co Rd 12 I was in the left turn lane, he was going straight and this Crown Vic rolls into the intersection, spot light goes on both of us. I was like damn it!

Anyway, he hops out and walks over to my car a couple other cops arrive and begin talking to the other guy.

Cop says to me "So you wanna tell me what was going on back there?"

I said "Nothing that I know of Officer, maybe I was going a little fast?"

Cop "A LITTLE??!!"

Anyway, after he grabs my license I ask if I can have it back, he says sure, as soon as I write you a ticket.

He wrote me up for reckless, hehe, but the fool gave me about 5min to think up the perfect story. By the end of what I told him and twisted around he was like, damn, I wish you would have told me that earlier, all I have to go on is what the other officer said he thought he saw. Being an excellent liar can get you out of a lot of stuff, just have to make sure you only use the asset in the proper situation.

The prosecutor dismissed the charges, the PD never put together any information on the matter.

Oh, and because the little punks friend was pointing at me a laughing while flicking me off, I decided to tell the officers judging on the way they were driving, I'd say they were drunk.

In MN that means the cop HAS to yank them out and give them a breathilizer. I rolled away everything intact and good, they were being yanked out and givin the breathilizer, I waved at the dickhead friend. Hahahahaha!
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2001, 10:09 PM   #12
xspeed02
Registered Member

I consider myself extremely lucky then. Last week I got out of a drag racing ticket...Heres the story.

I was just cruising in my black 90gt when this late 80's,early 90's Z28 pulls up next to me and starts revving. All of those cars are turds as far as I'm concerned, so I thought nothing of it and just kept cruising. Well he follows me for about half a mile revving his engine at me and such and has his buddy pointing at my car and laughing so I said sure why not. We get to the next stoplight and his buddy yells some stupid comments about how Rustangs are slow, blah blah. So when I see the other light turning red I slightly let off of my clutch and get the holeshot on him when our light turns green. Instantly pulled 2 1/2 cars on the guy and keep on pulling on him until I shut it down at 80. He does the ricer drive by and revs his engine at me and then slows down so I can get next to him again. Basically he did this 3 more times, from different speeds. Each time I sucked his doors off. I was bored, what can I say? Anyways, we finally get to another light in town and at this point hes still acting like a huge ******* , had been following me revving for about 10 mins. I start to wonder if hes following me for a reason. So I call some buddies and tell them to meet me at the local Arby's. He pulls up next to me at the next stoplight and starts yelling crap so when it turns green I get on it again to just get away from this dude. At the next corner he turns right and I U-Turn only to see a cop next to Arby's with his lights on. I pull into the parking lot to meet my friends and he pulls behind me and asks if I know why he pulled me over. I said yah, because I was trying to get away from those 2 assholes in that Red Camaro. He takes my license and runs my plates. He comes back and asks me to stop with the BS and I told him, I was seriously being harassed by these two guys. He said, "You're lucky I didn't see that other car, or you'd have been ticketed for drag racing." Then just walked away. I had friends there with me at this time to back up my story but I knew he wasn't buying it. So anyways, thats my story. Lucky I guess, suprised he didn't bust me though. I'm the Leader of a local Car Club thats been around town for almost 3 years. We're notorious street racers and I had my sticker clearly visible on my Quarter Window. The club is called Team Xspeed, thats where my name came from.

Went racing last night again... Some people never learn.
xspeed02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2001, 10:14 PM   #13
'93GT
Registered Member

I was once pulled over for racing and the cop told me he had a car like me when he was young , he just never got cought he said. I got no ticket

------------------
'93 Black GT
Pro 5.0 shifter, Flowmaster exh, K&N cold air,
Jacobs ignition and Coil, Sport Suspension, Ram clutch
Cervinis Mach Ram air hood, Cooling Fan, Underdrives.
Soon to come BBK headers, H-pipe.

'93GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2001, 10:52 PM   #14
Fostang
Registered Member

One night this past december I'm out with a chick that I knew back in highschool. It's about 3 am and I'm just playing around with the car down shifting the auto and reving with no car around. Basicly just f'in off. When I catch a light and a black 90-93 gt pulls up next to me. I must say it was one of the baddest looking ones I've seen. It had some perfomance part stickers on it small ones not riced out. I couldn't see the driver because it had very tinted windows. I knew it was going to be on and even thought I hate to race with anyone in the car I couldn't pass this moment up. For some reason this light stays red for a while. When I hear psss and a lot of white smoke comes from his hood and over his top. He had purged therefore just to show him that I had a bottle also I purge too. Light turns green and were off. I was hesitant to use the bottle because it was a 3 lane street with plenty of lights. I'm about a car length ahead and pulling very slowly almost nothing. I hear a change a pitch in his engine and I know he just sprayed I wait a little because I'm still in the lead and the lights we are coming up on are green. I look at my tach it reads 4 grand I couldn't believe I was holding my ground at this rpm. Then I go for the bottle and start taking back the ground he had gained on me by hitting the bottle and pulling. I look at my speedo and it reads 125 thats when I decide to shut it down it was a 35 mph zone as I'm slowing down I can see flashing lights behind me. I'm like damn up ahead there is a denny's the place we were heading too and I pull into it and a little behind me comes the cop. I stay seated pulling out all my paper work because I knew I was screwed. When I hear a familiar voice. It's my friend that recently got his job in the force. I know he must of had it hard but he let me go. The other guy got his car towed by another officer. My friend got on the radio and said I had gotten away and gave a total wrong description of my car. I am so thankful for that.

------------------
67'fastback- Edelbrock carb, intake, cam, valve springs. Road lifters, Comp Cam rocker arms, windage tray, cerama coated headers, dual flows with H-pipe, modded c-4, tci stall converter, perma cool electric fan, aluminum water pump, griffen aluminum radiator, accel 8.8 cable, wide cap distriburator, magnetic pick up, manley valves, v-matic hurst shifter, edelbrock performer nitrous, carter electric fuel pump, ignitor coil, solid motor mounts, magna racing suspension, poly urathane bushings, und
Fostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2001, 01:24 PM   #15
1mintlx

Cool

I'm 2-1 in cop chases. I outran 1 in my Stang on a windy road during the day(thought I was gonna die) going 50 on turns and hitting 115 on a short straight away....and once at night in my Subaru GT (no street lights up here in Putnam county) - turned my lights off and turned down a side road. I'm one lucky SOB. I was caught after a big race locally...about 30 cars were all lined up on the side of the road, between races, and about 10 cop cars came. Everyone took off...I got away, but was caught 2 miles away by another cop that got a radio call. Arrested/impounded....the works.

------------------
'90 LX 5.0; 12K original miles (no sh*&); 3.55 gears; pulleys; Edelbrock Performer Heads;
BBK shorties; MSD 6AL ignition system; Motorsport E303 cam; 75 MAF; 70 TB; Eibach spring kit;
Southside sub-connectors; K&N cone filter charger; Hurst shifter; fiberglass cowl hood; A/C-less;
rear seat-less; cat-less; Flomasters; Corbeau racing seats (fronts); 12.513 @ 108 mph
Old 04-09-2001, 01:34 PM   #16
NO SLO PK
Registered Member

I've been racing for 16 years without ever getting caught (I'm lucky). Everyone I know that was caught has gone straight to jail and had their car impounded. Except for a cop friend, who always gets let off

------------------
Russ L
'91 LX
Procharger, 3 row intercooler, extrude honed Cobra intake, Mac full Length Headers, 30# inj., 73mm C&L, 75mm tb, E303 cam, 289 rods, ported E7 heads, MSD, T-Rex w/255 lph Walbro, 5 lug conversion, Cobra R wheels, 3.27 gears and Moser Axles.
NO SLO PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2001, 03:01 PM   #17
cobrayankee
Registered Member

If you can believe this, I raced a cop up to 55 in Panama City, FL! We went slow from a light then hammered it. I stopped because we hit the speed limit. He waved and smiled when I caught back up. So to you, thanks! But to the one who pulled myself and another red 94 GT, screw you for being a smart *** ! (He could have simply ticketed me and let me go without all the sarcastic remarks to his buddy that was there for "backup".

------------------
1997 Cobra (Black on black), C+L 80mm MAF, K+N filter, Pro 5.0 shifter, BBK Springs, Taylor Wires, 2 Chamber Flows, ASP Pulleys, BBK off road H pipe.
cobrayankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2001, 04:05 PM   #18
dinomite
The Dude

OH SH*T! I forgot about the backup when I got pulled over. PGkelly can back me up on this, they had us sit there for 45 min till my parents picked us up and throughout that time, 6 cop cars (might have been 8...)stopped by. I wouldn't have minded if they stopped and made sure everything was ok w/ the officer who pulled us over, but 6 cars cam and sat. 2 of them left after sitting on there asses for 30 min, and they left by way of going over the curbs and MASSIVELY scraping the underside of the car (sounded HORRIBLE, he must have broken something that the citizens then pay for, AZZHOLE). The other for sat on their azzes the WHOLE time. They did absolutely nothing. I got stopped in North Arlington, which is a big community of Rich White People, NO CRIME HERE! When I listen to my police scanner, I hear them chasing and arresting people in South Arlington all the time, so I know these f*ckers had something else to do. But instead, they sat here and pestered to teenage kids for racing.
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2001, 05:01 PM   #19
Smokedawg
Tires Fear Me...

Well this has been about a year ago now. My buddy just got his 2000 Dakota R/T back from havin his N20 getting put on. He comes up to me in town and asks me if I want to run'em. I had just had this car for a few months now and this was my first powerful car. I turn him down and he keeps pestering me. So of course I fall under peer pressure and out we go into town. Like a bunch of dumb@ss's we only get out of town about 1/4 mile. Come to a complete stop. Then its on. We race for damn near 1/2 mile. Get turned around on and head back to town. All i see coming toward me is red and blue. They pass us goin west at about 100mph. Of course I take the first country road and hall @ss home. My buddy flies into town and parks behind the local eating place. VERY SMALL TOWN!! cops come back into town and spots his R/T. Pulls up and talks to him for awhile and wants to know whats was goin on. They had camera's mounted right out on washington street and clocked a mustang goin 134 and a R/T goin 126. My buddy and I come back into town in his ricer and the cops are hiding in all the alleys with there lights off trying to find the mustang. The only thing they had though was the pic of the cars. Didnt get a license plate so luckily no charges were pressed. By the way I kicked his @ss.

------------------
347 Stroker Motor: Balanced, A9P Computer, Cobra Transmission, Extrude Ported and Polished Upper and ported Lower, GT40 Milled Ported and Polished Heads, B303 Cam, BBK 1 5/8 Headers, 30lb Bosch Injectors, Holley Fuel Regulator, March Underdrive Pulleys, Perma-Cool Fan, 3-Core Radiator, Accel Performance Coil, Accel 300+ Racing Wires, Ram Air, K&N Filter, 79mm Mass Air Unit, FlowMaster Exhaust w/BBK Offroad H-Pipe, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, 3:55 Gears, Ram Clutch, Cross Drilled Rotors
Smokedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2001, 05:07 PM   #20
1mintlx

Cool

I always wanted to race a police stang or camaro (if they would allow it). Any idea of what they have in them or what they'd turn in a 1/4?

------------------
'90 LX 5.0; 12K original miles (no sh*&); 3.55 gears; pulleys; Edelbrock Performer Heads;
BBK shorties; MSD 6AL ignition system; Motorsport E303 cam; 75 MAF; 70 TB; Eibach spring kit;
Southside sub-connectors; K&N cone filter charger; Hurst shifter; fiberglass cowl hood; A/C-less;
rear seat-less; cat-less; Flomasters; Corbeau racing seats (fronts); 12.513 @ 108 mph