MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-12-2001, 01:53 AM   #1
ed1371
Registered Member

Post on my way home...

So there I was, minding my own buisness (always seems to start this way)cruising back from a run to the store. I can roll around with the bottle open now that my clutch has gone through its break in period.
A few thoughts about all the power that is roaming the streets thanks to the classic car show that went on this weekend may have been a factor as to why I took the long way back from the store but it really doesn't occupy my mind for any longer than a brief moment.
As I pull up to a stop light I see a few muscle cars coming the opposite way waiting for green also. I recognized the closest to me being a beautiful charger, I couldn't tell what the other was. They were gunning thier engines ready to race, I envied them for finding each other and even a bit frustrated. (it HAS been a while since having a race and I was very tired of babying the the clutch.)
Almost home I hear a high pitched buzzing sound. A swarm of bees? No, it was a very riced out prelude, early ninties, with the reqisite primered ground effects that show they have niether the patience, nor the money to paint them before displaying them to obviously jealous(?) motorists that have the priviledge of viewing such a fine example of what a fast car looks like.
I slow down so the light ahead has time to go to red. Doing so must have irritated the driver judgeing from the distance he was tailgating me and he hopped into the other lane.
I look over at the driver and instantly recognize him as a fellow Marine from the haircut, still a teenager, new to the Corps. That explains the lack of money at least.
As he hit his throttle to throw a few revs from his hampster wheels I was already hitting the arming switch and adjusted my timing.
I was going to relieve 3 weeks of frustration on this poor guy. I entertained the thought of him trading in his "car" after tonight, but I know they never learn.
I rev to 1500 and hold it as I see the light on the perpendicular street turn to yellow then red. Light goes green and my experiance with the new clutch shows a little with some unwelcome tire spin, not too bad to ruin it though. He was only a few feet on me when my tires got traction and I wound out first gear within a second, slammed into second gear and noticed he wasn't even beside me any more. My thumb hit the button on my shifter and I was pressed into my seat as the juice flowed. Third came and went as I continued to place distance between us. I shut it down halfway through 4th and smiled as I looked into my rear view mirror.
Slowed down and to my surprise, no fly by! Got to another red and he pulled beside me with a huge grin on his face. He dropped his passenger window down and said "holy s*it thats fast!" I thanked him and mentioned that my car wasn't really that fast compared to a lot of 5.0s out there.
Maybe he had learned something...maybe not...there is always hope!

------------------
My Mustang
91 LX Conv. 52,000 orig mi. Hurst shifter,King Cobra clutch, 3.55 grs, NOS 150 dry kit, MSD 6al, MSD timing control, malory coil, pullies, fms adj fuel reg, BBK 70mm tb, Pro-m 75mm maf, battery in trunk, JBA shorties, JBA subs, JBA strut tower brc, dynomax "super turbo" 2 1/2 exhaust, FMS billit distrib, Hotchkis lower cntrl arms, MAC Fenderwell cold air kit, off road h pipe.
ed1371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2001, 02:47 AM   #2
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

Great kill, good story, and the best part is that the guy was cool enough to admit his defeat, and give credit where it's due. Nice.

------------------
Black 2000 GT
Magnaflow Catback, K&N
StoplightWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2001, 05:16 AM   #3
Skyman
I need 110mph Trap Speed!

I got a nice picture in my mind of your thumb hittin that NOS button and the car just launching off! How fast do you have to be going to keep it from roasting the tires?

Also I didnt know they made a 150dry shot, howd u get that?

Skyler

------------------
-1989 Saleen Mustang #406-TFS Heads, E-303 Cam, Edelbrock Intake, and more. Added Eibach drag launch springs and 70/30's w/ 50/50's.
0-110MPH In car view (963k)
All Throttle through 3 gears! (497k)
<A HREF="http://members.aol.com/lskymanl/burnout.mpg" TARGET=_b
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2001, 12:06 PM   #4
ed1371
Registered Member

Once I hit second, I wait for 3000 rpms (if not already there) then hit the NOS. As long as I wasn't spinning them when I hit it, the tires will hold. I really dont go by speed, just the tach.

I have the NOS Stage 2 kit. You dont see it advertised as much as the regular kit. The only difference between the 2 kits is the size of jets, a shim in the regulator and an inline fuel pump.

I guess I could have just wrote "killed a prelude" but that would have just been boring.
Old 03-12-2001, 01:16 PM   #5
EZRIDN
Registered Member

Great story.......

Sounds like ur 5.0 is pretty quick with the mods you have. I'd love to have a NOS system too. However i feel that the race happens so quick that i couldn't trigger it myself.

I also have had to readjust my launches due to the recent change to a King Cobra clutch. How did you know that you needed a new clutch?

------------------
'86 GT.
Gears & Flows
EZRIDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2001, 01:39 PM   #6
ed1371
Registered Member

It only took one run at the track with the 150 shot to reduce the stock clutch to nothing. I was barely able to limp it to a friends house!
Old 03-12-2001, 02:05 PM   #7
sqweezed96gt
Registered Member

Cool

Good kill the only thing better than a 150 shot is a 175 shot HeHeHe !!! Say good by to the primmered rice rocket Phssssttttt (the sound of my purge valve shooting out of the cobra vents in my hood.

------------------
96GTRioredw/siverstripes Aeromotive fuelreg,SVO70mm,C&L80mm,Nitto's,NOS150,MAC uppper&lowwers,MAC ccplates,KennyBrown supersubs,Eibach Prokit,BBK treekiller,Flowmaster catback,MSD inline 43ghp pump,FRRP aluminum driveshaft,RamHD,STEEDA Quadw/adjuster,B&M ripperw/STEEDA stick,Autometer A/F ratio&Nitrous gauges on piller,FRRP 3.73.HELL YES I STREET RACE!!!!!!
sqweezed96gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2001, 02:36 PM   #8
EZRIDN
Registered Member

Ed...is it ever hard with the Cobra clutch for your tranny to go into any gear now?
Old 03-12-2001, 03:09 PM   #9
ed1371
Registered Member

no, I made sure that my clutch cable was tight enough (which can cause that) Do you have that problem? if so does your clutch engage close to the floor? If so then your cable isnt tight enough
Old 03-12-2001, 03:14 PM   #10
EZRIDN
Registered Member

Yea my car does that....mostly when its cold it will be hard to go into 2nd for a minute or 2..then after it warms up its fine...However, when driving for a while it is hard to get into reverse...so it sounds like i need to adjust the cable..thanks

------------------
'86 GT.
Gears & Flows

[This message has been edited by EZRIDN (edited 03-12-2001).]
Old 03-13-2001, 02:07 AM   #11
FivepointOH
Registered Member

Nice story/kill... you are really making me want to go and buy a 100 shot kit that i've been considering... how much does the stage 2 kit cost anyway?

------------------
92 AOD GT, K&N, ram air, pulleys, 2 ch. flowmasters, 4:10's, shift kit, 1 5/8 mac longtubes and offroad hpipe 14.249 @ 97.34 mph before the headers and hpipe
FivepointOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2001, 08:49 AM   #12
88GT5.013.02

To those of you talking about it being hard to go into gear. I heard from the guys at D&D Performance that you need to adjust the clutch frequently (if you have an adjustable cable). They say they stretch rather easy.

------------------
88GT stock shortblock, ported GT-40 iron heads, Edlebrock Performer intake, 24# inj, Pro-M 75mm Bullet MAM, 3.73, hurst short throw, F-303, electric fan, alum rad, FMS HD clutch, R134a ac conversion, 70mm TB , and some other stuff I probably forgot, best run so far on ET streets is 13.02@106 with a 1.87 60ft Only been to the track once still alot more tuning to do and need more driving experience.(Full body weight GT, full tank of gas, and sway bars connected, gonna disconnect sway bars and dip
Old 03-13-2001, 09:52 AM   #13
FST93MSTNG GT
Registered Member

That is a great kill Ed. I would love to see your car run at the track. Do you ever dome up to Firebird to run your car?

Craig

------------------
11.12 @123.92

http://www.public.asu.edu/~trelken/craig.htm
FST93MSTNG GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2001, 10:55 AM   #14
EZRIDN
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 88GT5.013.02:
To those of you talking about it being hard to go into gear. I heard from the guys at D&D Performance that you need to adjust the clutch frequently (if you have an adjustable cable). They say they stretch rather easy.
Thanks for the tip....i'm going to adjust mine thrusday.......how will i know if it is adjusted correctly?
Old 03-13-2001, 01:17 PM   #15
ed1371
Registered Member

Quote:
Do you ever dome up to Firebird to run your car?
I go to carlsbad to race. bout the same distance as firebird but I have a few friends that live in San Diego that I visit also.

Quote:
how much does the stage 2 kit cost anyway?
it ranges between $650-$750 summit has it for 700 I think.