MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-27-2001, 12:56 PM   #1
Stefan
Registered Member

Thumbs up Edged a bud's Chevy

A buddy of mine at work has an 82 Camaro with a recently rebuilt 350, Edelbrock 4bbl, longtubes, and Borla muffs all mated to an auto. We never get a chance to run the cars full out as there are ALWAYS cops around here. Yesterday we were both headin' out to get some beers after work and we actually got to line up at a light and not a cop in sight. We're always jokin' about who's car is the fastest yadda yadda yadda so we both knew we were gonna hit it. On the light change I bogged a tad and then shifted around 5000. Everytime I shifted he nosed me out but then i'd crawl back up in my powerband and edge him out. We shut it down around 60 (not much of a race but there was another light coming up and it was in a 35 zone) and I had maybe a half a car on him. Shouldn't he have just kicked my *** ? I am not claiming that this was a Camaro kill - i'm just curious what he should be running and what my slow vert should be against him. I'm basically stock save for a K&N and Borla catback. Is his car just that out of tune? Oh well, it was all fun and it made the beers taste sweeter.

Sorry for the length. I never race because I know my car is slow but man what a rush.

------------------
66 Tahoe Turquoise Coupe
Laser Red 96GT Ragtop
30 Years & 30 inches apart in the driveway!
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2001, 05:00 AM   #2
84stangLX

Camaros actually weigh a surprising amount, that's why 305 camaros are such slugs (of course the HO 305's didn't get much over 200hp in their best years) and why so many guys who mod camaros go with 350's (no reason to buy a basically DE-BORED 350 because you can't rev any better...no advantage of having a 305 vs. a 350. I think they weigh about 3500 lbs or something -if i'm wrong correct me- especially if he didn't have good gears and his engine combo/converter stall/engine tune were even a little off it would slow him down considerably because it's a combo of parts that win...not the fact that you added parts to it. I can see you tying him/winning by a small margin, camaros can be pretty damn quick but i've also driven/ridden in some real slugs.
Old 04-28-2001, 07:59 AM   #3
Stefan
Registered Member

Thumbs up

I didn't realize they were so heavy. I'm no lightweight myself in the vert though. I don't know what his gears are either. There obviously is some tuning that needs to go in conjunction with his mods but his car feels fast. You know how it is when you ride in someone else's car and it always feels faster than yours? When money allows i'll be getting 3:73's and a hiflow hpipe. I have pulleys and a MAF coming to me on Monday. I'll get there little by little.

Thanks for the input.

------------------
66 Tahoe Turquoise Coupe
Laser Red 96GT Ragtop
Old 05-02-2001, 12:03 PM   #4
GONZO99TA
Registered Member

another thing to consider. an 82 never came with a 350 so what did he get the engine from? just because it is rebuilt don't mean s*it. it could be rebuilt to stock specs from a 76 impala.
my blazer has a rebuilt 350 don't make it fast, just more reliable.

------------------
99 30th annv. Trans am
79 Trans am black se
GONZO99TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2001, 12:43 PM   #5
Stefan
Registered Member

Cool

He knows the 350 came out of a Camaro but he's not quite sure what year. We know his carb needs replaced (for whatever reason it is not rebuildable). It's still a quick car don't get me wrong - i'm not bashing it. We just always joke about how the two cars compare. If his car was tuned properly he might kick my a** but then again I might kick his. Anything can happen in a street race.

Thanks for another perspective

------------------
66 Tahoe Turquoise Coupe
Laser Red 96GT Ragtop