MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-18-2002, 05:47 PM   #1
quattroboi
Registered Member

Default Taking a Road Trip

I'm new here- had bad experiences asking for help on the web.. but I'm looking to take a road trip and need all the advice and help I can get. So I'm going for about 15K miles- all 48 states. I'm taking my best friend along and eveyrthing but the car is figured out.

What I'm looking for
I know everyone is a bit biased to mustangs here, but I'm basically looking for something:
Simple and reliable (IE not something that would take a genius to work on)
Convertible
Not brand new
decent gas mileage
CAN seat 3 or 4 in a pinch, 2 is where it's at though
Manual tranny is preferable
and finally- something fun to drive, with a bit of attitude.

I would appreciate ANY constructive advice- I'm going in about 4 monthes and just need an idea of 2 or 3 cars to start looking out for. I'm going to be taking it all over the country so I don't want something brand new to worry about, but I do want something I can at least enjoy driving.

Thanks a lot!

Jeff
quattroboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 06:18 PM   #2
6T9PONY
All about the Windsor.

What kind of price range?
6T9PONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 06:24 PM   #3
quattroboi
Registered Member

Default Cash for the car

I think I can pull off around $20000- but I really would like to keep it lower.. around 16 or 17. This is subject to change as I get more info...

btw, I am a fan of mustangs- but I am interested in just about anything (with the said parameters as stated above)

Jeff
Old 02-18-2002, 06:45 PM   #4
6T9PONY
All about the Windsor.

You could get a used '99-'01 Mustang GT for around the prices you're looking at, no problem.

With attitude, do you mean like the attitude you get from a V8? Or would a "peppy" V6 be sufficient for you?
6T9PONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 07:12 PM   #5
quattroboi
Registered Member

By attitude I don't nessecarily mean a V8 or a V6- that I stick more into the performance category-

by attitude I mean image- if I'm going to drive something for 2 monthes all over the country, I want something that fits so to speak. That's why I'm not quite sure if I nessecarily want a mustang..

Also the newer mustangs would be pricey- not only to buy but the upkeep and finding someone to fix it in the middle of nowhere would be difficult.

Out of curiousity does anyone know of any highly populated "general car chat" forums? This is the largest forum I have found, which is the reason I joined- not nessecarily due to the mustang aspect of it.

Thanks.

PS anyone know the MPG of an 86 5.0 convertible? (I prefer the 87-? body but I found an 86 for a good price)
Old 02-18-2002, 07:40 PM   #6
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Under 20k and you're looking at an 86? Could just say under 5k. Heheh.

What kind of 86 Vert? 4 cylinder, V-6, or V-8?

If you want reliable, good fuel economy, fun to drive quotient, comfort, and the ease of repair for under 20k in a convertable, I'd suggest a 1994-1995 Mustang GT Convertable.

Rear wheel drive is by far the easiest drivetrain configuration to work on, the 94-95 GT should be significantly more comfortable than the 1986-1993 crowd, more reliable than the older carbed Mustangs, I'd expect 25+mpg on the road with plenty of fun to drive quotient. Spend a few, get a good car, have it thoroughly checked out, replace anything that's iffy, drive it for a little while before you go and take it out on the trip and have a blast.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 08:18 PM   #7
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

You're buying a car just for a road trip? Must be nice.

As reliability goes, my 94 GT had bad rings and seals, and still took me from Virginia to Arkansas and back with no problems.
Mustangbelle306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 10:31 PM   #8
quattroboi
Registered Member

Are the 94-85 stangs really all that fun to drive? they just seem to be.. rather "middle of the road" cars- not as much power as before and more weight. Obviously I'm not a mustang enthusiast so I could be wrong- but that's why I was going for the 87ish era in mustangs- still had the good old 5.0 V8.

Anyway, if I was to look into a 94-95 anything special out you'd recommend? Also, as reliablity during the summer monthes goes- it is better to have EFI or carbs? I would think something with carbs would be easier to work on. I'm just afraid of being stuck in small town usa with a bmw or something.. only reason I say that is because it has happened to me before.
thanks!

Jeff

PS- I mean no offense to "small town usa" or to those with 94-95 mustangs- this is just my knowledge, which is the reason I am asking these questions..
Old 02-19-2002, 07:58 AM   #9
RAGE_5.0
Registered Member

well i could be wrong but 87-93 foxbody mustangs with the 302(5L)weigh in at around 3300. The 94-95 gt's weigh in about 3-4 hundred pounds more. I think a 5L with a 5 spd is probably the funnest cart i have ever ridden in or driven. From what i ahve seen they are not to hard to work on wither. if you want an sn-95 vert go to
www.corral.net
and talk to trumps . He was gonig to sell his black 94 GT vert for 7200. It has the rims off a 2000 gt(not the bullitts). IT was backed into though on the driver side front fender. there was no frame damage and it has been fixed i believe. With the left over money u could do a few simple mods that wuldn't jeopardize dependability ( off road h pipe with after,market cat back, gears(3:73 or 3:55) shifter, pulleys, sub frame connectors. Oh the car is in san clemente california. I forgot to read where you are from.

JAMES
Old 02-19-2002, 09:31 AM   #10
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Smile Road Trip chariot

Quote:
Originally posted by quattroboi

Are the 94-85 stangs really all that fun to drive? they just seem to be.. rather "middle of the road" cars- not as much power as before and more weight. Obviously I'm not a mustang enthusiast so I could be wrong- but that's why I was going for the 87ish era in mustangs- still had the good old 5.0 V8.

Anyway, if I was to look into a 94-95 anything special out you'd recommend? Also, as reliablity during the summer monthes goes- it is better to have EFI or carbs? I would think something with carbs would be easier to work on. I'm just afraid of being stuck in small town usa with a bmw or something.. only reason I say that is because it has happened to me before.
thanks!
Jeff:

The 94-95 Mustangs had the 5.0 (1995 was the final year before the changeover to the 4.6 OHC V-8) and yes, they are heavier so performance is down a bit - but not drastically and you're not looking to drag race it, anyway.

The 94-95 (SN95) Mustangs have a more sophisticated suspension than earlier models for better handling and a more ergonomic (comfortable) cockpit.

Ford's EFI system has been around since '87 and is very dependable...frankly, mechanics that are familiar with carbs are beginning to get harder to find, as most cars haven't used carbs for years. EFI problems are generally due to clogged fuel filters, failed fuel pumps or relays or clogged or leaking injectors, all easily repaired by a halfway knowledgable mechanic. Some Mustang V-8 parts are interchangable with full-sized Fords using the 5.0 engine, such as the Crown Victoria.

You can't go wrong with a '95 Mustang 5.0 that has low mileage and has been maintained properly. Dealer prices are around $10,000. and with your price parameters, you could probably find a very low mileage '95 for a bit more and still have lots left to go through it and replace any weak areas, such as exhaust (they rust out), and the usual items that you would want fresh for a 15,000 mile trip, such as battery, serpentine belt, full tune-up, brakes, tires and possibly a A/C re-charge and careful inspection of the cooling and charging system.

Most towns have a Ford or Mercury dealership within hailing distance, so no worries about being stranded, and the fun quotient is high in a Mustang V-8 convertible. Go for it.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 05:10 PM   #11
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

Quote:
Also the newer mustangs would be pricey- not only to buy but the upkeep and finding someone to fix it in the middle of nowhere would be difficult.
Newer mustangs will be about $16,000 to $20,000, I don't think you'd have EVEN ONE problem with it on your whole trip. Now if you go with a 86 vert 5.0, or 87, I could almost guarantee you'll have more than a few problems. If you are planning on going 15,000 miles, THERE IS NO QUESTION ABOUT IT, GO WITH FUEL INJECTION!!!! MUCH BETTER GAS MILEAGE, AND MUCH BETTER RELIABILITY!!!! Trust me have both Fuel injected cars, and carb'd. I love my demon carb and all....now what about a 98+Z28 camaro or SS, The automatics get 28mpg on the highway, run mid 13's, and the 6-speeds get about 30mpg on the highway and run mid 13's. Very fast cars, nice and comfy to. Like I said If you got a newer 98+LS1, 99 GT+I don't think you'd have any problems with them, unless you just drive the total crap out them. I'm selling my 2000 SS for under 20,000. Where you live?

Last edited by 1BAD89; 02-19-2002 at 05:17 PM..
1BAD89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 05:25 PM   #12
quattroboi
Registered Member

I live in the Washington DC area..

I agree with carbed vs. EFI- I am going to seriously look at EFI, and while I might have prob's with an older Stang, I think that the price difference would warrant takink that chance. I don't want to take a tremendous hit if something was to happen to the car..

Also, due to the tris itself, I might now have as much $$$ as I thought, so this is another reason I am looking for older.

Jeff
Old 02-19-2002, 05:25 PM   #13
RAGE_5.0
Registered Member

why are you sellni8g your SS?
Old 02-19-2002, 05:37 PM   #14
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

A few reasons... payments are pretty high for me, and I want a truck, I need to finish my truck up, and because I want to start racing motocross again. It's a killer car, I absolutely love it.
1BAD89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 05:44 PM   #15
RAGE_5.0
Registered Member

Ok. I was just wondering if you were having problems with it. I can't wait to see track times for that truck. My old boss had a 2001 m6 SS with teh complete slp package and it had those sweet chrome rims. Man i guess that thing would go. The day i was supposed to go for a ride in it, it rained. He left for alberta the next day. It was an awesome car. I did go for a ride in a 98 formula firebird though. nice car but i didn't care for the hump in the floor on the passenger side. It was sorta uncomfortable.

nice cars though

JAMES