MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-18-2003, 10:27 PM   #1
fissit
Registered Member

Question Engine Swap Problems..97Gt to new 99IP Mill

In changing to the newer engine, a problem we encountered is that the '97 had two (water temp?) sensors in the top front (water /t-stat) passage in the intake manifold..the newer engine has a place for just one..what do we do with the extra sensor and does anyone know the purpose of the two?
Old 08-18-2003, 11:31 PM   #2
slow98
Registered Member

is the new engine complete from top to bottom? if so i wouldnt worry bout it but if ur swapping stuff over you might wanna call a ford dealorship and ask them although they would probably tell you to bring it to look at it
1998 mustang gt/manual..373s,bbk offroad h pipe,flowmaster cat back,c&l 80 mm maf,steeda triax,eibach springs,steeda ud pulleys,upr timing adjuster,screamon demos coil packs,motorsports 9mm plug wires,steea aluminum lca's,steeda heavy duty uca's and just over 100 k on the clock
slow98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 05:32 PM   #3
jimbogt97
Registered Member

to my understanding the 96-98's have 2 water temp sending units, one that is solely for the water temp. gauge in the dash and one for the computer. In 99+ models only 1 sending unit was used to the job of both sending units in earlier models. I have heard of guys drilling and tapping there themostat housings to fit the 2nd sensor. Apperantly that works. I have also heard that there is freeze plugsomewhere on the block that can be removed and the sending unit will screw right in. either way you have to extend the wiring harness for it. I hope i helped

later
Old 08-20-2003, 05:37 AM   #4
fissit
Registered Member

Default Thanks for the input

THese sound like some good ideas..I would love to know where this screw in plug can be located, if one such there be...Our intake Manifold is all plastic so the tap method is not readily practical and the cost ofa new metal/plastic manifold is non trivial..One other thought that your ideas suggested is to Heliarcha n aluminum nipple in the Goose Neck above the thermostat..we are considering this one as we already havea spare goose neck...