MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-10-2001, 11:46 AM   #1
blue302
Registered Member

Angry Clutch Problems

I recently installed a King Cobra clutch on my 89 GT, I also replaced the adjustable clutch cable and the Tranny fork that was bent. This is the 3rd clutch that I have replaced on my mustang in the past 3 years since I installed the BBK adjustable clutch quadrant and have moved up to heavy duty clutch's. The problem that I'm experiencing is running out of adjustment on my clutch cable before the clutch ever reaches the end of its life spand. The last two clutches that I had replaced where still in good condition (lots of life left), but my clutch pedal and tranny told me otherwise. My pedal would get hard and my tranny would not engage smoothly, so I would adjust the cable until I had proper engagement (2" off the ground), I would do this routine everytime that I had this problem until I would run out of adjustment on my clutch cable. I think there is something wrong with my tranny, but I'm not sure. Currently the adjustment on my cable is pretty close to towards the end of it's adjustment, when it should have a lot more since the clutch is brand new. So far I had put some spacers in between the fork and the nuts on my cable to provide more adjustment, but I know that this is not normal or correct. What should I do or check first? Any ideas or comments would be greatly appreciated.

------------------
89GT:Edelbrock intake,BBK Shorty Headers,
BBK 70mm TB,BBK Aluminum Pulleys, Adj. Reg.
Edelbrock Water Pump,Griffin Aluminum Radiator,
SVO Hoses, BBK H-Pipe w/conv.,Flowmasters 2Ch,
SVO 3.73 w/Auburn Diff.,95 Cobra Front brakes and

blue302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2001, 11:58 AM   #2
Chevyguy
Backyard Mechanic/Chemist

Talking

Hmm,
I put a brand new FMS flywheel, the A-302 clutch ( the old version, stiffer than the king cobra) new auto zone stock cable, original quadrant and fork. Autozone throwout bearing and pilot bearing. After about 17,000 miles still engages exactly same place, grabs smooth and strong. Plus it works out my left leg. I don't bang the gears too much, lots of rollin in 5th. Lots of guys have problems with the stock quadrant breaking etc..
The system is pretty simple, maybe your bellhousing is not sitting true to the block?? Doesn't sound like a trans problem to me at least.

OH, had a thought, Forte's sells a adjustable quadrant that uses the stock cable which they said is pretty durable, plus it adjusts at the firewall. Check out their site Forte's . Maybe the BBK cables are simply stretching on you, causing this problem ???
------------------
Frank W
90 5.0 LX coupe Daily driver. Silencer removed, K&N filter. Flexalite fan, 3 core radiator. FMS flywheel and Clutch, FMS blue wires Energy Suspension end links
88 Notch 2.3L 5 speed Parts/beater car My two Notchbacks

74 Chevy Laguna Type S-3 305 Finally fixed getting a 454 to put in garage
<A HREF="http://www.chevellepages.com/folingo" TARGET=_blank>www.chevellepages.

[This message has been edited by Chevyguy (edited 09-10-2001).]
Chevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2001, 01:34 PM   #3
Rick 91GT
Procharged!

Are you sure that TOB is installed correctly? I was thinking if it is put on the fork wrong maybe, just maybe that is the issue. I don't know if the car would even shift if the bearing was put on wrong though.

Can you look into the bell and see the postiuon of the TOB, it should not be putting any pressure on the fingers while it is just sitting there. The BBK unit is the same as many aftermarket unit so I don't believe that is the issues, make sure the cable is routed down to the bellhousing correctly and it isn't going around any hard bent causing it to bind up. I don't think this is a tranny issue.
Rick 91GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2001, 01:37 PM   #4
Rick 91GT
Procharged!

Just thought about something, when you replaced the fork did you replace the ball pivot for the fork? Did you figure out what bent the fork?

------------------
Check Out My Site 91GT,Holley SysteMAX II Kit-Heads 2.02" x 1.60" port matched to a 1262,Anderson N-61,24#,76mm C&L,Full MAC, No A/C or PS or emissions, 12" K&N Filter,RNH PERFORMANCE Ram Air,Ron Davis Radiator,Full Suspension, SPEC stage III clutch, Lakewood SFI bell, S&W 8pt "X" brace,JAZ seats,3:73's,Welds..etc,4:30's and 31 splines coming very soon!
[b]12.16 @ 113.5, 1.78 60ft..no traction in the 90 degree
Rick 91GT is offline   Reply With Quote