MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-18-2002, 01:15 PM   #1
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

Default Slow night...but a few runs....

Well, this happend about three weeks back, but I'll post it reguardless....

A friend from Plainview came up a stayed with me for a couple of days while he was taking some classes for his work. He brought up his LT1 Camaro with him. With nothing doing at night, we of course had to take the cars out for some action.

We get in his car first. I believe it's a 95...but I'm not for sure. All I know is that he got it cheap. It's very clean and in great shape, but the motor has seen better days. He's got some heavy blow by issues at WOT and it will let out some smoke when he gets on it hard. We couldn't find anyone to race so we simply cruised around a bit. Saw a bunch of ricers at a gas station, but none would play. At the same station, we ran into my ex and her boyfriend (the guy with the modded LT1 I beat a while back...see earlier posts). After talking with her for just a sec, we head back to the appartment to get my car.

We cruised a bit more, but I was warry of running because cops were out in force.

On West 45th, there is a long open stretch with a 55 mph speedlimit. As we came to this area, a big 4x4 Dodge diesel was reving at me. He was in front of me at the light, and when it turned, he whipped (ok...more like body-rolling rocked) into the other lane and I came up beside. He punched it as soon as I came up. I wasn't all that thrilled about running him (as I generally try and avoid racing red-necks in their trucks), but there was an open road and nobody in sight. I pulled immediately, but I'll give him this: that truck wasn't a slouch. I ran it up to about 90mph and let off about 3 lengths ahead. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't have some good money in that motor and has beaten some Mustangs and F-bodies upon a time.

Anyway, as I was looking in my rear-view, I saw headlights pulling a U-turn behind us way back. I immediately try and duck into a residential area, but this truck is still pacing me reving at about 50 mph. He wants another run from a roll! He honks three times and goes, and I let him go. I immediately duck in behind him and hit the first turn off. The last thing I need is a street racing ticket, and Amarillo cops will write a ticket for anything the think they saw. For all my luck, the road I turned into was a freaking cul-de-sac. I turn around in it, pull to the curb behind another car and kill the lights. We waited for a couple of minutes, but nothing came of it. Must have been someone just turning around. Now there's probably a big black Turbo-diesel pick-up in Amarillo touting that this Mustang was scarred to race him from a roll and trolled out by turning off the street.

Well, we cruise to the end of 45th and turn onto Soncy. I was telling David about cops in Amarillo at this point, and then as if on command, we see two of Amarillo's finest sitting with lights on a station blocking in two new Camaros. Gee...I wonder what they got ticketed for?

A few lights later, I see a new SS Camaro sitting at the red. The lane next to him was open, and I was just about to pull up when the light changed. I was expecting him to wait on me, but he immediately jumped while he still had about two cars lengths between us. I was caught off guard and instinctively mashed the gas to the floor, but I let off a couple of seconds later. There's absolutely no sense in trying to chase down an LS1 with the times I run. It would have likely been a close run had we lined 'em up from a start. I have a feeling he would have pulled me in the end, but my times are starting to equal and pass what most LS1's pull at the tracks up here.

The best I've run so far on the G-tech is a 13.87 at 105.4 on a 90+ degree day with the car overheating and just pulling to the line and romping it. I know the mph is high, but so far the et's have been pretty close. I need to get to the track and see what she does there. I know I can knock some time off in driving, and more should come when I figure out my shift points and launching technique. Oh, and did I mention that my fuel pump died the same day I ran that time? I know for sure I've been running lean for a while. I'm looking for a 13.5 when it's all said and done, but we'll just have to see about that.

That about ended the night. Pretty slow up here at times. Too much rice, both foreign and domestic, and most of the guys who run on the street in Mustangs or F-bodies will blow my doors off.

--nathan
'91 GT, Coast 347, 9.5:1 compression, full intake, Wolverine 1087 cam, exhaust, Keith Craft ported Windsor Jr. Irons (235 cfm intake, 195 cfm exhaust), AOD, PI 3500 converter, Lentech valve body, 3.73's (4.10's in the works), and Yokohama ES100's out back.

Daily Car: '04 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6MT
silver_pilate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2002, 05:36 PM   #2
FivepointOH
Registered Member

Wow sounded like that was a pretty quick truck... I dont' know much about dodge's diesels but I know with the ford just a simple chip change can give you 150hp. Sucks you couldn't get a fair run in with the ls1. Have you ran your friends camaro before?
FivepointOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2002, 06:06 PM   #3
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

Yeah, he kinda suprised me, and I'm sure he's suprised others with a different outcome. Around here, most of the guys who "truck" up their already big trucks up the power on their motors along with adding the lifts and tires. Maybe an aftermarket turbo and a chip...I don't know. Probably gears.

No, unfortunately, I haven't run David's LT1. The time is coming, however. I'll let you know what happens. It's a mid to low 14 second car at this altitude, as best I can tell.

--nathan
'91 GT, Coast 347, 9.5:1 compression, full intake, Wolverine 1087 cam, exhaust, Keith Craft ported Windsor Jr. Irons (235 cfm intake, 195 cfm exhaust), AOD, PI 3500 converter, Lentech valve body, 3.73's (4.10's in the works), and Yokohama ES100's out back.

Old 05-19-2002, 04:14 PM   #4
EZRIDN
Registered Member

Default Re: Slow night...but a few runs....

Quote:
Originally posted by silver_pilate

I have a feeling he would have pulled me in the end, but my times are starting to equal and pass what most LS1's pull at the tracks up here.

The best I've run so far on the G-tech is a 13.87 at 105.4 on a 90+ degree day with the car overheating and just pulling to the line and romping it. I'm looking for a 13.5 when it's all said and done, but we'll just have to see about that.
--nathan
Yea those LS1s can be tough to chase especially with an unfair start. Sounds like your stang scared him a bit for him not to wait on ya.

About the G-Tech. I hook mine up when i go to the track. It is pretty acurate for ETs, but the MPH is a bit off (average about 4 mph too high with my car). it is usually about .1 to .5 off the tracks times. For example, Last friday night (5-17) i ran a 13.58 @104.80 and the G-Tech said i ran a 13.59 @ 109.1 with a 5.1 0-60. Other times i have run a 13.58 @ 104. 68 and the G-Tech said i ran a 13.64 @ 108.9. Its fun to play with though. Maybe that helps.

BTW, i sent you a private message.

'87 GT..5 spd...Stock...14.4 @ 97 SOLD

'90 GT Conv. A4 Cream Puff...14.6 @ 94 SOLD

'99 Z28..A4..Stock stall, no tuning, all motor, full weight 11.92 @ 117.95 SOLD

'03 Centennal Edition GT 5 spd. 1 of 620 5 spd coupes made.

http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/timeline/99-04/03/100th.htm

Stock.....
13.89 @ 99.03

http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/timeline/99-04/03/100th.htm
EZRIDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 10:53 PM   #5
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

Haha...maybe my car did scare him a bit. However, he never got a chance toe experience the "loud zone" on my car which is a little back and off to the side. The spot I like most of my competition to be in.

Nah...probably some high school puke out for a cruise who doesn't know the common courtesies of street racing.

Yeah....I was figuring that the mph was probably about 3 mph high and that the et was pretty close to being on. After being in the 14's so long when you finally hit that 13 second run, be it on a G-tech or at the track, you gotta feel pretty good. I know I've got more in it, and I'm fairly confident I can see a 13.5 when it's all over. That would put me around 12.94 at sea level which I think ain't bad for this ol' dog.

First, however, I gotta get the thing running. I'm waiting on my fuel pump and then a fuel pressure regulator. After that, it's all about whether or not I want to risk running the squeeze on the high compression and hypereutectic pistons on which the ring gaps are too small (according to the manufacturer's recommendation for nitrous use).

I'll make some track runs after it's up and running and let you know what turns out.

BTW...got your message and replied.

--nathan