MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-15-2002, 09:12 PM   #1
96SNAKE
Registered Member

Default SNAKE vs Z06 vs Z28SS!!!

Before I start this, I know people will probably doubt me so let me just say I understand but this is all true. I hardly even post about my races anymore but this was too cool not to put up on the board.

Ok., I'm getting on the freeway(22 west) heading home. I noticed a red Corvette and a blue 01 SS next to each other as I was cruising up behind them. The SS was trying to bait the red Z06 into a race and it looked like it was on. I had an SUV in front of me(right lane). The Vette was in front of the SUV. I saw the SS throw his hazards on and then take off. Obstructed by the big SUV, I couldn't see if the Z06 took the bait. I hit it anyway and went around the SUV in the on-ramp portion of the road(pulling a stupid and illegal move) to see what was happening. Turns out, the Z06 did not take off with the SS but I was now pulling up on the Vette on his right side on the on-ramp part of the road. He saw me and immediately floored it with him starting about a car ahead of me(I was doing about 50 and he was doing 45). I had a little speed advantage with momentum but I had no choice but to floor it or I would have run out of road. We were both on full gas (I was in 3rd gear) and I started passing him slowly but quickly noticed that we were both in it for the position on the road as welll as for the race. The on-ramp portion of the road was ending quickly and I had no choice but to stay in the gas for pride and to avoid being run off the road. He apparently felt the same way as we stayed locked, with me about a 3/4 of a car ahead of him until nearly all of 4rth gear. I held the same distance until I started to realize this was no ordinary vette(which I thought it was up until this point, albeit very modified??). He started catching up and pulling slowly on me up to the point where he was now even with me and about to creep ahead of me but the traffic was with us and the end of the lane was coming so we had to shut down. I was almost at the end of 4rth gear when this happened and it was damn close. Once I hit 5th gear he would have walked me considering how weak the T45 5th gear ratio is and how strong his is. I got to pull along side him and he was around my age(late 20's). I yelled if it was a Z06 and he waved and said yes and then he let me pull ahead of him on the left. I thought it was on again with him behind me but I noticed the SS was now waiting for me and in a better position to race then the Vette. I was now creeping up to the SS at about 60 and he took off before I reached his door. He was most likely stock as I couldn't hear his car and I have stock mufflers too. I pulled him quickly and shut down in 4rth gear with him a few car lengths back. He hung back there and then road my azz until the Vette cruised up behind him. He let the Z06 pull around him and behind me. We played cat and mouse through traffic but the road never opened up to go at it again. My car was running hot as hell at this point too so it was probably for the best.

Ok, now I know this was most likely the 01 version with the 385 and not the 02 with the 400hp. The SS was the slowest of the 6sp SS's I've ever been up against. I think it was an 01 but I can't say for sure but it was the newer dark blue color. I know some guys here will probably doubt me on this and that's ok. I probably would too if I didn't see it. BUT I wouldn't lie about this stuff. Besides, if anyone lives in this area and wants to race me, I'm willing to prove my point rather than be discredited..

(96Cobra/softtop- Black&Tan, 3.73,almdrvsht,fancontrl,steeda sbfrmes,r-LCA's&shifter,eibachspgs,KYB's,FR-upper arms,Y2K Cobra R's,pulleys,Bassani X pipe(cats gutted),C&L 80mm,Stage 2 Clutch, polished intake and cam covers etc.. last dyno w/cats on-287rwhp.

93 Ford Probe Gt 4.39 stock gears and K&N (slower but turns)

2001 Green Ninja ZX6R

Last edited by 96SNAKE; 04-16-2002 at 08:35 AM..
96SNAKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 09:17 PM   #2
vtec8ter
Registered Member

Post get gears and race him again

that is cool that he wasn't an ***$hole. because he could have kept you on the side of the road. yeah, the new 02 ZO6 is faster than the 01. i have raced both. i saw one run low 10's at the track.... it was highly modified though, but that is definitely a bad car. you should get gears though, and some more mods and see how the race turns out then. you know?
vtec8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 09:32 PM   #3
96SNAKE
Registered Member

Default Re: get gears and race him again

Quote:
Originally posted by vtec8ter
that is cool that he wasn't an ***$hole. because he could have kept you on the side of the road. yeah, the new 02 ZO6 is faster than the 01. i have raced both. i saw one run low 10's at the track.... it was highly modified though, but that is definitely a bad car. you should get gears though, and some more mods and see how the race turns out then. you know?

He was cool but he was also trying to win as much as I was. I gave it everything she had at the end to win the spot but he let me take it at the very end which was good for the both of us. I already have gears. What I need is to pull my heads off and finally fix my valve stem seals. I think with this and maybe a little head porting, it would have made that race less of a heart attack.
Old 04-15-2002, 11:08 PM   #4
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

You know what I believe? I believe you're insane for posting a story like that. We all know that mustangs can't compete with the LS1, let alone the LS6!! Get your stuff together man!

Good kills!

1994 Cobra #4343
Bolt on's only...

Cofounder of Raccoon Racing
StoplightWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 12:24 AM   #5
96SNAKE
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by StoplightWarrior
You know what I believe? I believe you're insane for posting a story like that. We all know that mustangs can't compete with the LS1, let alone the LS6!! Get your stuff together man!

Good kills!

You're right man! I need to stop posting crap just to get some attention around here..
Old 04-16-2002, 02:22 AM   #6
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

Quote:
The SS was the slowest of the 5sp SS's I've ever been up against.
All manual transmission SS's are 6-speeds. Now those RS's are 5-speeds, and you better watch it if you ever race one of those!
1BAD89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 02:37 AM   #7
Coupe5oh
Registered Member

Yea, i was just gonna say the only thing i doubt is the 5spd in the ss good job.....

btw, i have a vid of an mti422 9 sec z07 if anyone wants to check it out i'll e-mail it.
Police package 5spd 90 Lx, Stock original motor, 3.27grs, BM fan, fms 10.5 clutch, D&D quadrant, and adjuster, ADS chip, 180 stat, mac cai, mac h-pipe, mac subframe connectors, ASP crank pulley, ripper shifter, 26x10.5 M/T sport pros welds. 246 hp according to analyzer
Race weight: 3,120

E.t-13.57 with 26x10.50's e.t. streets. 1.88 60'

mph- 99.92 mph
Coupe5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 05:32 AM   #8
vtec8ter
Registered Member

Default Re: Re: get gears and race him again

Quote:
Originally posted by 96SNAKE

He was cool but he was also trying to win as much as I was. I gave it everything she had at the end to win the spot but he let me take it at the very end which was good for the both of us. I already have gears. What I need is to pull my heads off and finally fix my valve stem seals. I think with this and maybe a little head porting, it would have made that race less of a heart attack.
i was talking about 4:10's... but it's all good. port and polishing the heads should help... but the ZO6. it was a good race, with a cool person. and it's cool you got the kill on the SS.
Old 04-16-2002, 08:31 AM   #9
96SNAKE
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 1BAD89

All manual transmission SS's are 6-speeds. Now those RS's are 5-speeds, and you better watch it if you ever race one of those!

Hehe.. my goof. I was thinking about my car and mistakenly listed them having a 5sp too from habit. I knew they were 6spds. That is why I mentioned the better 5th gear ratio in the T56 for the Vette and F-bods. The extra sixth gear allows them to take advantage of this. But thanks, now I'll go up an edit that out.

Last edited by 96SNAKE; 04-16-2002 at 08:48 AM..
Old 04-16-2002, 09:00 AM   #10
96SNAKE
Registered Member

Default Re: Re: Re: get gears and race him again

Quote:

i was talking about 4:10's....

Believe it or not, the 3.73's are actually the better gear for this kind of race imho. It allows the 4 valve to stretch it's legs out and let each gear carry the car to a higher speed before needing that shift into the weak 5th. I know that a Cobra with 4.10's+ will run a higher top speed than me but they would have to shift into 5th earlier too making them ultimately slower before my 4rth gear runs out. There is a 98 Cobra around my area with similar mods and 4.10's and I destroyed him by 8+ cars racing like this. He now has a blower and I have yet to run into him again.. But, if we are talking from a stop or at the track, I would have nothing less than 4.88's in my car, traction permitting.
Old 04-16-2002, 11:16 AM   #11
vtec8ter
Registered Member

Thumbs down that was a weak cobra

with my current mods i am putting 400 at the wheels on motor and somewhere around 698 on spray. i didnt spray my big shot on the dyno. i would like to run you, and show you what a cobra with 4:10's can and will do. but i have alot more mods than the one you raced. and not to mention, a 5.4 liter navigator motor swapped in for the 4.6L... none the less i dont race too many races from a roll, and most are only a 1/4 of a mile long.... so on the track and most times on the street. i dont even get into 5th gear. but with my mods, my car pulls harder the faster i go... and then when i spray it, it runs prettey good. imho.
Old 04-16-2002, 11:45 AM   #12
7up
Registered Member

vTEC8TER,
Finally some clues as to what kind a car ya got. Sounds pretty nasty.
Ricer Hater's Club-member #16
7up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 12:55 PM   #13
96SNAKE
Registered Member

Thumbs down Re: that was a weak cobra

Quote:
with my current mods i am putting 400 at the wheels on motor and somewhere around 698 on spray. i didnt spray my big shot on the dyno. i would like to run you, and show you what a cobra with 4:10's can and will do. but i have alot more mods than the one you raced. and not to mention, a 5.4 liter navigator motor swapped in for the 4.6L... none the less i dont race too many races from a roll, and most are only a 1/4 of a mile long.... so on the track and most times on the street. i dont even get into 5th gear. but with my mods, my car pulls harder the faster i go... and then when i spray it, it runs prettey good. imho.

No doubt your car is strong but with a 5.4 DOHC, that is no surprise. I like the concept and know of another guy who has done the same thing at the Corral. Anyway, I've seen what Cobras with 4.30's and even better gears will do so don't preach to me about 4.10's. The percentage difference between them and 3.73's is not enough of a big deal. 4.30's or even 4.88's are more attractive imho.

And sure the other Cobra might have been weaker than mine but I destroyed him and so far any other Cobra I've come across. My car has always been a relative ringer from what I have seen. before my valvestem seals went, I did make 301 at the wheels but my car isn't the same car it was in 98, that's for sure. I have yet to run a Cobra with any internal engine mods but would understand the loss when that happens. I even expect to lose eventually, That's only natural. I would bet any amount of money that I would beat any Cobra with the same or close to same rwhp as my car and 4.10's in this kind of race. Even if my car had your 400rwhp as well, I would beat your car at the end of a highway race. I've seen it too many times to argue differently. If the race began around 60, I could stay in 3rd gear longer(while the 4.10 cobra would have to go to 4rth )and then be able to run out 4rth gear longer too than him too. If I haven't passed the hypothetical Cobra in 3rd gear, I will eventually pass in 4rth because the 4.10 Cobra would have to shift to 5th earlier than I would. Yes, 4.10's definitely pull harder in 5th than my crappy 3.73's but they are no contest between my 1.00 ratio 4rth gear and 3.73's compared to a .63 5th gear driven 4.10. I don't care what gear someone has back there. Anyway, yeah, races from rolls suck but I live in an area with few stoplights so I take the races where I can find them. So understand, I know better gears are faster for the 1/4 it is just in this type of race that I prefer the weak 3.73's.

Just for fun, where on the east coast do you live? I would love to see what your 100+rwhp advantage(off the spray)car could do against mine either way. Anyway, I'm not trying to be a d!ck or anything. I'm just going from my experiences( I've owned my car since 98).

Last edited by 96SNAKE; 04-16-2002 at 01:23 PM..
Old 04-16-2002, 01:41 PM   #14
vtec8ter
Registered Member

Thumbs up makes sense then

i wasnt trying to argue you. it sounds like you know your stuff. where are you located exactly? anywhere close to phili? i know i had some good runs there a few times. there are some fast cars out there. i would like to get 4:30's or something higher....but i am only 18 and going to the naval academy this summer... it wouldnt be worth it, because i will still need to do highway driving. but, if i pick up a bike i will definitely do that and make my car a strip and "street-race" car only. by losing the power steering, A/C, etc.... stock cobra brakes for aerospace brakes and the like. what do you think about those mods? you sound like you know your stuff, like i already said. so i would appreciate your opinion.
Old 04-16-2002, 02:48 PM   #15
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

vtec8ter

What is that supposed to mean? VtecH8ter? or VtechEater? Cuz eat does not = 8. So your name is Vtec Ater? I'm also curious about your car also, tell me more.
Old 04-16-2002, 03:09 PM   #16
96SNAKE
Registered Member

Default Re: makes sense then

Quote:
i wasnt trying to argue you. it sounds like you know your stuff. where are you located exactly? anywhere close to phili? i know i had some good runs there a few times. there are some fast cars out there. i would like to get 4:30's or something higher....but i am only 18 and going to the naval academy this summer... it wouldnt be worth it, because i will still need to do highway driving. but, if i pick up a bike i will definitely do that and make my car a strip and "street-race" car only. by losing the power steering, A/C, etc.... stock cobra brakes for aerospace brakes and the like. what do you think about those mods? you sound like you know your stuff, like i already said. so i would appreciate your opinion.
It's cool man! I can't believe you're only 18 and have a 5.4 sprayed beast. That is unbelievable and I'm more than a little bit jealous. As far as your car is concerned, if it you want it to be a strip and street race champ, you're well on your way. If you didn't have the torque of the 5.4, I'd recommend 4.30's or 4.56's but you probably don't need them with that stump puller you've got. You also have the right idea about cutting the weight down as much as possible since our cars are heavy muthas to begin with. With your 5.4, you might have just added another 70lbs or so on the front. Why don't you post all your mods in your signature so we'll know what you have done already and what you might need. Power, weight, properly transferring that weight, launch, traction and gearing are the keys.. I might have missed something in there too..

I live about an hour from Philly (about 5 miles from Kutztown University in farmland he!!). I hang out in center city every now and then so it would definitely be worth making that trip to see your car. Do you live in NJ or PA? By the way, how did you come by that 5.4? I'm thinking you did a Lincoln Navigator engine swap with custom cams and intake?? Although I've heard you can go with stock cams but you won't make as much power.

(96Cobra/softtop- Black&Tan, 3.73,almdrvsht,fancontrl,steeda sbfrmes,r-LCA's&shifter,eibachspgs,KYB's,FR-upper arms,Y2K Cobra R's,pulleys,Bassani X pipe(cats gutted),C&L 80mm,Stage 2 Clutch, polished intake and cam covers etc.. last dyno w/cats on-287rwhp.

93 Ford Probe Gt 4.39 stock gears and K&N (slower but turns)

2001 Green Ninja ZX6R

Last edited by 96SNAKE; 04-16-2002 at 03:18 PM..
Old 04-16-2002, 03:50 PM   #17
BSchacht6
Registered Member

There is an H so it is vtec hater
Old 04-16-2002, 04:48 PM   #18
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

Quote:
There is an H so it is vtec hater
I see no H in the name. So where are you seeing this H at?
Old 04-16-2002, 07:54 PM   #19
slow98
Registered Member

Default who cares

ITS A NAME!!!!! WHO GIVES A FLYIN F#@&, i would also like to here about this beast,but the man is right about the 373s on the hwy....burn them slowties!!!!!!!!!
1998 mustang gt/manual..373s,bbk offroad h pipe,flowmaster cat back,c&l 80 mm maf,steeda triax,eibach springs,steeda ud pulleys,upr timing adjuster,screamon demos coil packs,motorsports 9mm plug wires,steea aluminum lca's,steeda heavy duty uca's and just over 100 k on the clock
slow98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 06:08 AM   #20
vtec8ter
Registered Member

Angry vtec eater... i messed up

its from a liscence plate. i think that vteceater is too long and i was thinking of putting it on my plates, but i got a new idea... well i saw a new idea. this one is, 2L8I1, yes. i took this idea from someone on a website... i dont remember where. do you think that biting the plate is giving props or just plain corny? as far as the car and my location....well, i am close enough to make the trip to philly. i have been there a few times, it's kind of crazy. i am not too crazy about driving all the way up there on slicks though. especially when cops like to take pictures of people racing and then come arrest them at their house and take their car... e.g. manassas, va. i have a friend in jail right now. as far as the car goes. i dont put the mods in my sig, because well. i dont like everyone knowing what i have. sounds like BS? well, think about how many races i would get for big money if people knew everything. as it is now, it is hard enough to find big money races with people just talking. let alone getting info off the net and then coming to see thanks, but no thanks. i will show anyone. for some money.... not much, but enough to pay for gas. that way the winner goes home happy. sorry the post is so long.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: