View Single Post
Old 04-15-2002, 09:12 PM   #1
96SNAKE
Registered Member

Default SNAKE vs Z06 vs Z28SS!!!

Before I start this, I know people will probably doubt me so let me just say I understand but this is all true. I hardly even post about my races anymore but this was too cool not to put up on the board.

Ok., I'm getting on the freeway(22 west) heading home. I noticed a red Corvette and a blue 01 SS next to each other as I was cruising up behind them. The SS was trying to bait the red Z06 into a race and it looked like it was on. I had an SUV in front of me(right lane). The Vette was in front of the SUV. I saw the SS throw his hazards on and then take off. Obstructed by the big SUV, I couldn't see if the Z06 took the bait. I hit it anyway and went around the SUV in the on-ramp portion of the road(pulling a stupid and illegal move) to see what was happening. Turns out, the Z06 did not take off with the SS but I was now pulling up on the Vette on his right side on the on-ramp part of the road. He saw me and immediately floored it with him starting about a car ahead of me(I was doing about 50 and he was doing 45). I had a little speed advantage with momentum but I had no choice but to floor it or I would have run out of road. We were both on full gas (I was in 3rd gear) and I started passing him slowly but quickly noticed that we were both in it for the position on the road as welll as for the race. The on-ramp portion of the road was ending quickly and I had no choice but to stay in the gas for pride and to avoid being run off the road. He apparently felt the same way as we stayed locked, with me about a 3/4 of a car ahead of him until nearly all of 4rth gear. I held the same distance until I started to realize this was no ordinary vette(which I thought it was up until this point, albeit very modified??). He started catching up and pulling slowly on me up to the point where he was now even with me and about to creep ahead of me but the traffic was with us and the end of the lane was coming so we had to shut down. I was almost at the end of 4rth gear when this happened and it was damn close. Once I hit 5th gear he would have walked me considering how weak the T45 5th gear ratio is and how strong his is. I got to pull along side him and he was around my age(late 20's). I yelled if it was a Z06 and he waved and said yes and then he let me pull ahead of him on the left. I thought it was on again with him behind me but I noticed the SS was now waiting for me and in a better position to race then the Vette. I was now creeping up to the SS at about 60 and he took off before I reached his door. He was most likely stock as I couldn't hear his car and I have stock mufflers too. I pulled him quickly and shut down in 4rth gear with him a few car lengths back. He hung back there and then road my azz until the Vette cruised up behind him. He let the Z06 pull around him and behind me. We played cat and mouse through traffic but the road never opened up to go at it again. My car was running hot as hell at this point too so it was probably for the best.

Ok, now I know this was most likely the 01 version with the 385 and not the 02 with the 400hp. The SS was the slowest of the 6sp SS's I've ever been up against. I think it was an 01 but I can't say for sure but it was the newer dark blue color. I know some guys here will probably doubt me on this and that's ok. I probably would too if I didn't see it. BUT I wouldn't lie about this stuff. Besides, if anyone lives in this area and wants to race me, I'm willing to prove my point rather than be discredited..

(96Cobra/softtop- Black&Tan, 3.73,almdrvsht,fancontrl,steeda sbfrmes,r-LCA's&shifter,eibachspgs,KYB's,FR-upper arms,Y2K Cobra R's,pulleys,Bassani X pipe(cats gutted),C&L 80mm,Stage 2 Clutch, polished intake and cam covers etc.. last dyno w/cats on-287rwhp.

93 Ford Probe Gt 4.39 stock gears and K&N (slower but turns)

2001 Green Ninja ZX6R

Last edited by 96SNAKE; 04-16-2002 at 08:35 AM..
96SNAKE is offline   Reply With Quote