MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-20-2003, 10:19 PM   #1
96_4.6
Registered Member

Question HOW many people drive clone stangs??

I'd like to see how many people are honest cause I was wondering how many stangs are clones out there i.e mustang gt made into a cobra or cobra R or anything along those lines, thanks for any input!!!

-Trickflow Upper Plenum
-BBK 70mm Throttlebody
-02 PI Lower Intake
-March Pulleys
-BBK H-Pipe
-2 Chamber Flowmaster mufflers
-3000 RPM Stall
-JLT CAI with special K&N
-MSD Supercondutor wires
-180 stat
-FRPP 4:10's
*FOR SALE C&L TRUE FLOW INLET PIPE WITH K&N*
My Stang
96_4.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 02:05 AM   #2
93blkGTfun
Registered Member

I've got a 93 gt that I'm in the process of painting. I'm gonna order the cobra kit for it.
Old 03-21-2003, 02:23 AM   #3
jj_jonathon
Trisket

ive got the cobra r wing, some BMW emblems, ferrari emblems and a lamborghini front end on my car...oh yea...lots of stickers too....ive also got cool nascar seatbelt covers

lol...just kidding...but i have debated throwing an 03 cobra air dam on my gt...just like it better...not like id put cobra stickers all over my car...lol

My 02GT vert
Media Center Pics
BBK Underdrive Pulleys | K&N FIPK (Gen II) | Bullet Grille | Mach 1 Chin Spoiler | UPR Interior Parts | XM Radio | Audiobahn Subs

Ricer Hater's Club Member #1/2 (30) http://www.ricehatersclub.com/
jj_jonathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 02:51 AM   #4
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

yeah ok i'm a poser my gt is disguised as a gt lol.

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 08:07 AM   #5
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

ok ok ok, I admit it. My GT is a SN95 V-6 poser. It's got running pony emblems on it......I'm so ashamed

But in my own deffence, I'm only pretending to be a poser

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 10:46 AM   #6
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Posers are Gay. If SVT didnt build your car it isnt and never will be a cobra. Same goes for Saleen and Roush.

Posers are no better than ricers. They make me sick.

There wasnt much difference between a 93-95 cobra and GT so those dont bother me that much.

To me the ultimate slap in the face is a 96-97 stang posing as a 96-97 cobra. There is a 2 second performance gap between the two.

Alright I am gonna stop I could go all day on this topic.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 04:13 PM   #7
MazdaProwner
Registered Member

I don't own a Mustang, but I've been trying to make my car into an Integra Type R clone. Let me tell you it is difficult to do with a four door but slowly I'm making it happen.
First thing I did was the "Powered by Acura" seatbelt pads.
Next time I got my allowance came the Type-R badges. 5.99$ each so I could only get one at a time. Then came the Decals. Lord did I ever get alot of them. My car is practically covered. I even put Type-R decals on the wheel covers.
Next came the phat chrome exhaust tip that just screamed BLING BLING for miles, funny thing is, it was so big that I could drive a 1959 Cadillac through it, and it weighed the back end of my car down. So, naturally I just cut a couple coils off the front springs to level it out, and now my car looks m4d tyt3 cause its lowered.
After all that came the spoiler, cause you know that when I'm going really fast I need a big spoiler for extra downforce.
Naturally the next step was a body kit, the more agressive the better. Its great, I needed my car to get noticed so I made sure that it was a different colour than the rest of my car, now I've got about 1/4'' of ground clearance. talk about a fly ride.
The una-wiper was next, well because I think it looks like **** but hey, all my ricer buddies think that i be pimpin' wit dat ****.
Clear lights all around came next because they're still in style and I want to be "with it", who doesn't right??
Wheels were next of course, I had to save up my allowance for 3 whole years for this, but well worth it.
These wheels are tha phatest of tha phat, 26 inches. They cost me more than my car did new, but I can get all the ladies now.
The system wasn't a high priority becasue I had to work on making my car look fast first, but now it thumps so bizzzaad that any car that tries to race me their engine will just stall and their car will rattle apart, when I kick up the bass.
Last thing I got was a 75 shot of naaaawwwwzzzzzzzzz, that was great, I put the NOS stickers on my car,and didn't even bother to hook up the kit I just put the bottle in the car, opened it up and hot boxed myself. It was great, I was laughing for days, wait the bottle was empty I think, maybe I was just laughing at what a stupid mess I made of my car.

What do you think of my creative writing??
MazdaProwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 10:04 PM   #8
BLOCKER
Registered Member

Is this posing?

I have a 88 mustang "cobra" GT, All canadain modles of GT for similar years were labled cobra, I have the brochure to prove it. But in reality it is nothing more than an American GT with KM/H speedo and a sticker on the back that says "cobra". Now since I have owned it, I have put 95 cobra R's on it, 93 cobra rear bumper, 4 wheel disk brakes, Cobra intake, GT 40 heads, Ford motorsport Cobra valve covers, and replaced the Canadain cobra badge with a 93 Cobra badge... I don't go around telling people it is an SVT cobra, just an 88 cobra....... let me know, If you need to critize I take it very well, be honest...
thanks
-2008 Harley Davidson Nightster 1200
-2008 Harley Davidson Night Rod Special
-1997 Jaguar XK8 Convertable
BLOCKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 12:42 PM   #9
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BLOCKER
Is this posing?

I have a 88 mustang "cobra" GT, All canadain modles of GT for similar years were labled cobra, I have the brochure to prove it. But in reality it is nothing more than an American GT with KM/H speedo and a sticker on the back that says "cobra". Now since I have owned it, I have put 95 cobra R's on it, 93 cobra rear bumper, 4 wheel disk brakes, Cobra intake, GT 40 heads, Ford motorsport Cobra valve covers, and replaced the Canadain cobra badge with a 93 Cobra badge... I don't go around telling people it is an SVT cobra, just an 88 cobra....... let me know, If you need to critize I take it very well, be honest...
thanks
No that isnt posing I am sure your car looks great. I dont blame people for putting cobra rims on there cars cause they look great and can be found relatively cheap. You have the performance to back up the badge and Ford labeled your car a cobra.

If someone puts a Saleen wing or Cobra R hood or cobra rims on there car that isnt posing.

Its when pepole start slapping badges on there cars that irritates me.

There are many 17 second V6 stangs around here with cobra badges.
Old 03-22-2003, 03:05 PM   #10
nitrostang66
Registered Member

Going back to old school........ I have a 66' stang that I made look like a cobra. It is red with the white stripes, and I have the side flares, cobra hood, but don't put cobra emblems on the car that don't belong. I do have a cobra badge that the old dealers used to give stang customers when they bought any cobra componets. Since I have many upgrades I allowed myself that. But I do get annoyed at people that "act" like they have the real thing. People that know Mustangs know mine is fake, and still can like it. When they tell me why I did not buy a real one I tell them I can't afford it. They mostly think it is interesting what I've done to the car.
nitrostang66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 06:13 PM   #11
LUVSTANG93
Registered Member

Mine is a cobra clone, due to a little accident at the track, I got a cobra body kit and complete paint job with flames. Have cobra mods on engine too (like heads,intake and more)
WWW.5-0.ORG FEB 2003 MUSTANG OF THE MONTH
RICE HATERS CLUB #115
LUVSTANG93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 11:01 AM   #12
lx5091
Registered Member

It is soooooooooooooooooo often that I see a Mustang come down the street and it looks like a Cobra with the right stance and the front airdamn and the side emblems and rims then it drives by and the trunk has an "SVT" emblem but the bumper is stamped "MUSTANG"!

It's like, GO BUY A REAL ONE!

people can be so stupid!

'97 Saturn SL1--Soon to be ditched for a Ford!
lx5091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 12:52 PM   #13
nitrostang66
Registered Member

What is way worse than having a clone to me is people that have the money for the real thing but don't know anything about the car they drive. Like a kid down the street from my parents got a Cobra last year when he graduated high school. When I go to visit my parents in the summer I see him all the time washing his car. Last summer I was in my stang and just rolled by and was telling him I liked his car and crap like that. And he came over was a nice guy but could not tell me anything about his car. All he kept talking about was these neon lights he was buying to put on the underbody . I have not seen him since last summer but I am assuming there is a 19 year old kid with a nice car that glows in the dark now. Man if I just hadn't wreaked all my parents cars in high school, maybe I would have been so lucky. O well he is probably trying to trade it for the new Z right now.............
nitrostang66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 01:28 PM   #14
jj_jonathon
Trisket

Quote:
Originally posted by lx5091
It is soooooooooooooooooo often that I see a Mustang come down the street and it looks like a Cobra with the right stance and the front airdamn and the side emblems and rims then it drives by and the trunk has an "SVT" emblem but the bumper is stamped "MUSTANG"!

It's like, GO BUY A REAL ONE!

people can be so stupid!
the 99 has a mustang bumper....i found that out to my surprise...

My 02GT vert
Media Center Pics
BBK Underdrive Pulleys | K&N FIPK (Gen II) | Bullet Grille | Mach 1 Chin Spoiler | UPR Interior Parts | XM Radio | Audiobahn Subs

Ricer Hater's Club Member #1/2 (30) http://www.ricehatersclub.com/
jj_jonathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 10:40 PM   #15
96_4.6
Registered Member

Hell yea I like all the replys, but how about this, say you get a really good deal on a mustang cobra, cobra front and rear bumper, emblems, hood, gauges and everything but you look under the hood and its a gt engine 96-98 car, but its a really good deal with low miles and everything, would the buyer be a poser cause i would rather save a lot of money on a good car and be called a poser in that case

-Trickflow Upper Plenum
-BBK 70mm Throttlebody
-02 PI Lower Intake
-March Pulleys
-BBK H-Pipe
-3000 RPM Stall
-MSD Supercondutor wires
-180 stat
My Stang
96_4.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 09:25 AM   #16
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 96_4.6
Hell yea I like all the replys, but how about this, say you get a really good deal on a mustang cobra, cobra front and rear bumper, emblems, hood, gauges and everything but you look under the hood and its a gt engine 96-98 car, but its a really good deal with low miles and everything, would the buyer be a poser cause i would rather save a lot of money on a good car and be called a poser in that case
Step 1: Gently remove the cobra emblems off of the stang.
Step 2: Carefully apply the GT badges in the correct spots.
Step 3: Slap on some 99+ GT heads and be proud of having a fast GT.

JMO,
Old 03-24-2003, 12:38 PM   #17
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

I have the full Saleen body on the '00, but all stock GT emblems and no side graphics or windshield banner.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 02:10 PM   #18
0h n0 5.0
Registered Member

people say that imitation is the highest form of compliments. i kind of agree. but if i had jus shelled out some big dough for a limit edition steeda, roush, or saleen ..yea i would get a lil peeved if i saw a faker. but i can also see where the other guy might be comin from..cost

now granted cobras are kinda pricey next to gt's an a sh*load more than an lx. but jus try an swallow the premiums, gas guzzler tax an insurance on a saleen or steeda..an theres another answer.

plus in my case to 94 cobra was (pound for pound) the same car as the gt sans an intake, heads, valves, an r/r's.

imo, as an artist, i desire symetry an simplicity of standard shapes in a bodymod. the cobra front dam is so wicked, just the two round holes for the fogs makes it very intimidating an very pleasing to the eye. as opposed ot the quadralateral fog lights on the GT. the r hood is needed if your goin w/a bigger intake an heads. so some of it has to do with functionality also..

in any case this hobbie thrives on individuality an innovation. i think it would suck if all the cobras loked like cobra's, gt's were gt's an lx looked like lx's, wheres the fun in cookie cutter molds? if the guy cloneing has done his home work before slappin down the plastic, you shouldn't be able to tell its a knock off or the real deal.

LX5091, the 94 cobra had MUSTANG stamped on the bumper. COBRA didn't show up untill 96.

P.S an we know that mustang w/ out a low, thundering rumble sportin cobra badges an 16 inch waffles in the next lane... ain't a cobra... an you know it too...

...jus be glad he's drivin a mustang.

1994 GT 5.0l
0h n0 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 03:55 PM   #19
96_4.6
Registered Member

Thumbs up

I totally agree with the above post, its a mustang, as long as its not riced out i.e those clear tail lights and huge *** wing on the back it should be fine, the emeny is the rice, the stangs need to stick together no matter what, as long as they have V-8 power

-Trickflow Upper Plenum
-BBK 70mm Throttlebody
-02 PI Lower Intake
-March Pulleys
-BBK H-Pipe
-3000 RPM Stall
-MSD Supercondutor wires
-180 stat