MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-26-2002, 02:36 PM   #1
mustangLX92
Registered Member

Default Sportbike help

I really want to get into the sportbike scene. My first step will be to take a motorcycle saftey class. The bike I want to get is a Honda CBR600. What years should I be looking at, and what should I be looking to spend? Also what do you think my insurance would be on a CBR600. I am 20 and have a clean driving record.
Motorsports springs, Lakewood drag struts, Southside rear lower arms. Motorsports upper arms. Lakewood Drag shocks. Southside rear drag springs, sub frames, 3.55 Gears, Cobra intake, 70mm TB, GT40 heads, X Cam, 1.6 Crane RR's, 110lph fuel pump, AFPR, offroad h pipe, Flowmaster catback, 1 5/8" Motorsport headers, under drive pulleys, cold air induction, Black Magic Fan, Pro 5.0, Weld Draglites.
mustangLX92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 02:41 PM   #2
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

Yeah, good luck getting into a MD MSF course anytime soon...my buddy in NoVA just signed up, and got placed in August. A 600 SS Honda is a decent choice for a first bike...most sportbikers would tell you to start on a 250...but let's get real: who has the money to be swapping bikes every few months? Not me.

However, since it IS your first bike, I would stick to a F2 or F3 (early 90s) so if you lay it down, you only spent about $3k and won't be kicking yourself. Insurance wise as a new rider, stay away from Progressive. Try local companies instead.
Mustangbelle306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 04:32 PM   #3
1fastchick
Registered Member

Take the course and buy a used bike. If you HAVE to have a 600 (which I really wouldn't recommend) an F2/F3 is fine. Its not like driving a car and its a lot more skills. Thats why starting on a ex 500 or even a 250 would help you with tuning your skills so when you did move up to a bigger bike you will be more ccomfy in emergency situations and daily riding technic. You want to be able to RIDE your bike not just try to manage it.

www.sportbikes.net you can also read up on reviews on good beginner bikes and anything else you need to know

www.cycleforums.com

1968 Fastback "Gidget"
1fastchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 04:47 PM   #4
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

Thumbs up

I agree with the ladies, take the course, even though it could take a while to get in, it's a worthwhile investment.
I started on an ex500, but outgrew that really fast. I bought my current bike, a ZX-6R, and am now ready for the 9R.
You'll love it, it's so much fun, but really be aware of your surroundings, those people can't drive out there, and your motorcycle blends into the background! Good luck, have fun, and let us know what you decide to do!
btw www.sportbikeworld.com is also a good website for bikes!
Old 02-26-2002, 05:55 PM   #5
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

Quote:
Originally posted by JL1314
I agree with the ladies, take the course, even though it could take a while to get in, it's a worthwhile investment.
I started on an ex500, but outgrew that really fast. I bought my current bike, a ZX-6R, and am now ready for the 9R.
You'll love it, it's so much fun, but really be aware of your surroundings, those people can't drive out there, and your motorcycle blends into the background! Good luck, have fun, and let us know what you decide to do!
btw www.sportbikeworld.com is also a good website for bikes!
I knew you'd post in this thread
Mustangbelle306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 07:36 PM   #6
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

Like the others said, I wouldn't start on a 600. It sounds like a small, underpowered machine when you see all the 750s and liter-class bikes out there, but any newer 600 will kill you in a hurry too. I rode a VTR250 Interceptor for 2 years before buying a '90 Yamaha FZR600 and I still almost got into trouble on my 600 because it was (relative to the 250) so fast. I pulled power-wheelies without meaning to, spun the rear tire exiting corners and put my back out keeping from high-siding it, you name it. That 600 came with a little over 60hp stock and I modded it to over 80hp. The F3 and F4 you are talking about have more stock hp than my modded FZR did. We're talking low-11s bone stock with a decent rider.
So unless you have incredible self control, you would be riding with a serious handicap for a while on a 600. On a bike, more horsepower requires a lot more skill.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 12:19 AM   #7
929PhoenixSquid
Registered Member

Default Re: Sportbike help

Quote:
Originally posted by mustangLX92
I really want to get into the sportbike scene. My first step will be to take a motorcycle saftey class. The bike I want to get is a Honda CBR600. What years should I be looking at, and what should I be looking to spend? Also what do you think my insurance would be on a CBR600. I am 20 and have a clean driving record.

1) It is very difficult to recommned a year per se, simply because any bike could be beat to **** and there's no way of really telling. Steer clear of high miles bikes.....most likely, they are not properly maintained. I would say, try for under 15,000 miles if you can.

You can check values of various models and makes of bikes at www.nada.com or www.kbb.com. I would take the average of these two values.

2) The insurance all depends on the following factors:

-state you live in
-engine cc's
-bike class (sport, superbike, sport-touring, etc...)
this "class" is based on insurance company's private list, NOT by manufacturer's category
-marital status
-what kind of coverage you're looking for

I'd expect to pay anywhere from $300 on the low end to $800 depending on the combination of these listed above.

Matthew

SN95 block front and rear seats, Mac catback, BBK off-road H-pipe, Steeda castor camber plates, Steeda lowering springs, Tokico shocks/struts, Alpine/MBQuart/PPI audio mods...
929PhoenixSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 12:48 AM   #8
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

Quote:
Originally posted by Mustangbelle306

I knew you'd post in this thread
hehehehe I knew you would too, before I even opened it! We're good like that!
Old 02-27-2002, 06:03 PM   #9
crewzin
Registered Member

Default Riding bikes

Hey, congrats on wanting to ride bikes its definately a kick butt experience. As far as insurance goes it does'nt matter where you go you will get hosed. Some are better than others but its high due to people getting a new big bike and thinking they know how to ride, and accidents by everyone else. I would say sign up for the class and use your waiting time to inform yourself so you can make up your mind about the size and model. Also if you dont have any bike experience try to get some time on a dirtbike. Learn how to slid it some, how the brakes affect the handling and things like that. Most skills will carry over to the street and you can learn them at slower speeds without the autos trying to kill ya while learning. Like I said its a blast but go out there ready so you'll enjoy yourself and not get hurt. And loud pipes do save lives, maybe your own.Later...
crewzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 12:03 AM   #10
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

ON INSURANCE, GET LIABILITY! IT WILL BE LIKE AROUND $100 EVERY 6 MONTHS. FULL COVERAGE THEY WILL RAPE YOU!!! I STARTED OUT ON A 97 FZR600, THEN I MOVED TO A 99 R6, THEN A 2000 R1. FULL COVERAGE ON A BIKE LIKE YOU WANT , WILL BE MORE THAN THE INITIAL PRICE OF THE BIKE. YOU COULD BUY ANOTHER ONE WITH THE MONEY YOU WOULD HAVE SPENT ON THE EVENT OF A CRASH. I'M IN A HURRY, SO I'LL TALKMORE LATER.
1BAD89 is offline   Reply With Quote