View Single Post
Old 11-19-2002, 06:40 PM   #16
20LbsBoost

Default Re: Lightly Modded??

Quote:
Originally posted by SleeperGT
It sounds like a "lightly" modded GN would be a new exhaust system and bumping the boost up to 25 lbs or so. Yeah, that's lightly modded, two minor tweaks, but 25 POUNDS OF BOOST. Come on, that not so light. To me STOCK is NO changes, no exhaust, no new pulleys, no boost change, no cold air, no BOOST changes, street tires.
I can appreciate your comments. But then the 70's muscle cars should have run on their 14"-15" bias ply tires too and they didn't. No changes to any car should mean no changes to the car at all from the 60's and 70's. I'm not sure if changing the boost would be any different than changing the tire pressure in your tires? Some turbo Regals were delivered with adjustable wastegate rods, so you can adujst your boost. I know my TTA has a factory original adjustable rod and I haven't looked on my GN yet. I understand all had adjustable rods if manufactured after November 1987.

As far as the test Regal, the article says: "With the exception of the aftermarket boost gauge stuck to its steering column and the illegal elimination of its catalyst, Bob Hansen's 1987 Buick Regal T-Type is all stock. And with the stock 15 psi of turbo boost, it runs the quarter mile, according to Hansen, in 13.80 seconds–exactly what we remember them running a decade ago. But Hansen cranked up his boost to 22 psi for this test, filled the tank with 100 octane (no lead) and tore off runs in the mid-12s all day, with a best pass of 12.52 at 110.35 mph.

Good discussion, perhaps time for a new thread?