MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-25-2002, 07:42 AM   #1
Rice Hunter
Registered Member

Question Blown Cobra (from street racers corner)

I am in the final stages of getting my 99 Cobra supercharged. In that, I mean, I have finally pulled the money together. I decided to go with a Vortch supercharger that claims to be able to boost up to 490HP with the aftercooler. Sure this is $6000 without cost of install, but hey, when you want to do something, do it right. Right? (Maybe I should start off with 430-450HP?)
I'm putting on a Borla cat-back also. Anything I absolutely need to not blow myself up? I seem to talk about this stuff a lot, but know only a fraction of what I should. I'm still learning. Any hints?? I have not mods yet on the car, and have gotten the impression that supercharging isn't the best first step. But it is now or never for the supercharger due to time constraints.

Oh yeah, I want to put the Cobra R windsplitter front facia on after I supercharge. Does anyone know the cost of installation and painting of stuff like that, on average??

P.S. I put this post up and got some good feed back in the street racers corner, but was also referred here. They said you guys are the ones to talk to!

453.9rwhp
387trq
Lots of fun
Convertible

Penn State University
Temple University School of Medicine (start August 27th )
Rice Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 08:22 AM   #2
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

Well, a lot of people would do basic bolt on's first such as bigger MAF, H or Xpipe, throttle body, gears, shifter, etc, to maximize the supercharged engine's power output and power curve.
But if you are looking for saftey and reliablity, the main thing that you'll want to make sure it that there is no detonation. Make sure the engine is fed enough fuel (I am pretty sure the fuel related items, such as big injectors and fuel pump, come with the kit) and make sure it has enough spark. The factory ignition systems are pretty good now days, so you could get away of just throwing in a set of Denso sparkplugs. I would get it tuned with a safe street tune, because it'll be better to make a little less power then to blow your engine.
As far as the body work, every shop in every part of the country is different. Some people have friends in the business and get it done for $100, others pay $600+ for something like that. Body work is one of those things you really can't guess about. You'll just have to go around to your local shops.
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 09:48 AM   #3
Rice Hunter
Registered Member

Question Hypothetically

Ok, I really want a blower on my fanged pony, but what would you do?

Say you have ~$6000 to spend on a stock 99 Cobra 320HP (let's say someone ran over your dog or something and gave you the money ) What are the first things you would do? (Pretend you are me and want as much HP/Power as you can get without blowing the car up). What brand names would you go with?

I would like to get as many oppinions as I can get! Oh yeah, hey man, thanks for your reply! I'm just getting as much info as I possibly can before I put mods on my Cobra.

453.9rwhp
387trq
Lots of fun
Convertible

Penn State University
Old 04-25-2002, 07:51 PM   #4
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Well, first thing I would do is pay less for the blower....

If you're looking for 490 HP at the flywheel, it can be had quite easily.

My Procharger w/intercooler cost me about 2/3 the price (4k), and my modified GT puts out around 450 HP (flywheel) with a safe 8lb. pulley.

Next up is to look at your IRS rear. I don't think its gonna take that sort of power very well. So some changes may be in order for the rear... I would get in touch with e reputable shop and see what they suggest.

Also, do Cobras have sub-frame connectors? If not, you'll want to get some considering the amount of power going through the chassis.

And most Important: your fuel system, ignition, and tune...

The safety of your engine depends on it...
You may have to go to larger injectors, a larger fuel or add-on pump, and maybe even a new MAF calibrated for the new injectors.
The stock ignition may or may not live well with the forced induction, and it may well depend upon how much boost you decide on going with.
Finally, a custom programmed chip is a MUST for a daily driver forced induction modular. The safety and the power all come from the tune.

My recommendation is to do it right, don't go cheap, and get a nice, safe, custom tune on a dyno from a reputable shop.

Sure you can strap on a blower for cheap and put the 10-12 lb pulley on it and get some nasty HP out of it. But you'll be slower than a bicycle if you blow your engine or IRS.

Be safe out there...
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 06:16 AM   #5
surfbeast
Registered Member

Listen to HAMMER he is DA MAN!. Ever thought about a roots type blower?, check out the Saleen or Kenny Bell twin screw units I hear they are pretty safe for the engine. Also you deffinatly need to beef up the rear end and sub frame, bigger MAF, and Chip!.

Good luck and spend WISELY!
Old 04-26-2002, 08:32 AM   #6
Rice Hunter
Registered Member

Oh, an ATI Procharger? I had researched those, but most of the people I had talked to said Vortech. I guess it is a more common name. I thought Prochargers were mostly for people on the drag strips going for 1300+Hp, I just subconsciously forgot about them. Any troubles with your procharger? I'm going to go to a speed shop and talk to the guy in two weeks. I'm going to print out all the responses you guys give and have a talk with him, so we can go over as many options as possible. With all your experience and knowledge, I'll at least sound like I know what I'm doing (probably until he asks me questions, haha). Yeah, I had heard the Cobra rear end should beefed up, good call. I hadn't originally considered a chip, but it makes sense. I should probably wait until I get the supercharger all settled before I go with a chip, to make sure I get the proper one.

If anyone else wants to respond still, please do! Thanks Hammer (love the yellow, by the way), surfbeast, and 91LX2Bfast!!!

453.9rwhp
387trq
Lots of fun
Convertible

Penn State University
Old 04-26-2002, 04:18 PM   #7
GTJim
Registered Member

I've been enjoying my Procharger for a couple of months now. My only gripe is the noisy gear whine it makes at idle, similar to a Vortech "S" trim. Don't get me wrong, I love the sound, I've had two Vortech'd mustangs in the past, but I wanted my new Cobra to be a little quieter, more on the stealth side. But once you start driving, it's not bad at all. The Stage II kit uses the 8lb pulley and should make about 500hp at the flywheel. They also have a 10lb pulley, but ATI warns that you should consider forged internals before going that route.

The ATI blower kits for the 99-01 Cobras also come with a 255lph fuel pump and a large 3-core Intercooler. You'll have to buy 42# injectors ($375) and a Ford Lightning MAF meter ($150) to go with the kit.
2001 Mineral Grey Cobra - #2277 of 3867

- MM SFC's, Bilsteins, Rear: H&R race springs, PHP IRS brace, Steeda IRS bushings, Front: MM Coilover conversion w/ Hypercoils
- JBA Headers, Bassani X-pipe, Dynomax Ultra-Flow catback
- Procharger P-1SC Stage II
GTJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 04:48 PM   #8
95mustanggt
Registered Member

What I like about hte ATI is that you don't have to put a hole in your oil pan. I guess it is safe, I just don't like that idea...

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 08:05 AM   #9
Rice Hunter
Registered Member

I looked into the procharger, looks like a good price and a great product. When I supercharge, will my stock @ss end be able to handle it? Haha, oh yeah, this is my only car, sooooo, what kind of daily driver do supercharged cobras make? Am I insane to consider this for a daily driver? I agree about the hole in the oil pan, makes me uneasy. I need another hole in my engine like I need another hole in my head

Thank you guys so much! Your advice is always appreciated!

453.9rwhp
387trq
Lots of fun
Convertible

Penn State University
Old 04-29-2002, 11:58 AM   #10
GTJim
Registered Member

The driveability is excellent. It drives like stock and you don't get into boost at the lower rpms like you do with the roots style blowers.

As far as the transmission and rear end being able to handle the added power, IMO, if the car is an daily driver, like mine, and you use street tires, not DR's, you shouldn't break anything. Now if you only want drag race the car where you'll be using DR's or slicks, then you should absolutely beef up the rear end with hardened after market halfshafts, braces, bushings, springs, etc. or better yet swap in a solid axle. My car will only see occasional road race tracks, so I went ahead and upgraded my IRS bushings, used stiffer springs and added an IRS brace. So we'll see how the stock halfshafts hold up.
2001 Mineral Grey Cobra - #2277 of 3867

- MM SFC's, Bilsteins, Rear: H&R race springs, PHP IRS brace, Steeda IRS bushings, Front: MM Coilover conversion w/ Hypercoils
- JBA Headers, Bassani X-pipe, Dynomax Ultra-Flow catback
- Procharger P-1SC Stage II
GTJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 12:04 PM   #11
Rice Hunter
Registered Member

Ok, that's good to hear. I won't have the money to upgrade the @ss end for a little bit. As long as I can still get to work (in record time ). If you were me (speaking to anyone reading this), would you get a Cobra R windsplitter on the front, or just concentrate the money on mechanistic mods first? I love the look or that front facia.

453.9rwhp
387trq
Lots of fun
Convertible

Penn State University
Old 04-29-2002, 12:30 PM   #12
Rice Hunter
Registered Member

Default another quick question

Hey, I was thinking about putting headers on the Cobra, but then someone told me that I would not need to. Something about the headers that come on it stock will work fine. Should I believe him?

453.9rwhp
387trq
Lots of fun
Convertible

Penn State University