MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-13-2003, 06:01 PM   #1
mak375
Registered Member

Default strip advice

i need some advise on how to help my 1/4 times. I think one of my big problems is my 60' times...i usually am around 2.2, never getting below 2.

what should i do with the waterbox, i run on street tires so im not sure if i should go in and just give them a little spin, or if i should just skip the box all together.

at the line, what tips can you give me on launches? I usually rev it up to about 2100-2400 then pretty much pop the clutch and then deal with either bogging down or spinning alot, then i adjust accordingly, is there a better way or do i just need to get more experience under my belt to narrow my rpm range?
steeda tri-ax, flowmaster catback, bassani x-pipe w/ high flow cats, MAC headers, ported and polished intake, trick flow twisted wedge heads, e303 cam, rear upper and lower control arms cold air induction w/ k&n air filter subframe connectors, underdrive pullies, MT ET streets, clear corners, chrome cobra r wheels
mak375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 06:33 PM   #2
02ss
Registered Member

Default well....

those 3.73's are gonna be a little tricky on radials, but it can be done. i know that my ss is a little different but i think that this advice will help you. what i do is(depending on the avail traction) find a launch rpm that i can be sure that the car will not bog while a timed release of the clutch is performed. lets say on my car, i leave at 2800 rpm and just dump the clutch. on my radials this will equal either a bog(fayetteville motorsports park is a seriously sticky track, they are good a track prep) or a lot of goodyear f1 smoke. now, if i take that same 2800 rpm and time my release, that is, slow the release down and feel what the tires will take, i can get the hardest launch possible. this takes practice, it will come though if you try to really get in tune with the cars suspension and tires. while you are slipping the clutch, do not add any throttle until you feel the car hooking and the engine slowing down. i dont watch the tach, i "feel" it. now dont slip the clutch for 2-3 seconds, this whole thing should happen in 1-1.5 seconds after green. dont worry about cutting a good light, get a feel for the car and then when its second nature to launch hard and cosistant, worry about the tree. do not forget to do a short burnout, not in the water but damp tires are ok and skip the dry hop, it just wastes stickiness and tire heat. some people say street tires do not respond well to heating, mine always have. just a 2-3 second hard spin. dont let off all at once, but roll gently off the throttle to avoid abusing driveline parts when traction is gained too abruptly. practice makes perfect. see you at the track.
soon to be sprayed
92 wrangler 350v8 700r4
02ss is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: