MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-03-2002, 01:28 PM   #1
mysweetlx
Registered Member

Default To strut tower or not to strut tower?

That is my question. I'm not quite sure they'll be any benefits (at least the ones I'm looking for): launches? 1/4 mile? I'm not too concerned w/ cornering, but I'm sure it helps stiffen up chasis roll. Also, does it matter which one or type you get?
Old 05-03-2002, 01:33 PM   #2
Jeb_Bush_2000
Registered Member

A strut tower brace will only hurt your ETs.

It will, however, make a huge difference in cornering, even on the street.
Jeb_Bush_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2002, 04:04 PM   #3
mysweetlx
Registered Member

That's kind of what I thought. It wouldn't matter if it's lightweight alloy or a regular brace? Why is it that it would hurt ETs?
Old 05-03-2002, 04:07 PM   #4
302 LX Eric
or '331 LX Eric'

In my opinion, a 8-10lbs brace that strengthens the body and helps to reduce power loss in twisting the body is a good modification. I'm not saying that it's a "must have" mod for a near stocker, but is a good addition to higher horsepower or corner carving Mustangs.

E

331 cu. in. / Tremec 3550 / BFG Drag Radials

12.22 @ 114.31 mph - w/1.89 60'
302 LX Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2002, 06:31 PM   #5
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

The only thing that would make a tower bar slow you down is the weight, which is minimal. Having a stiff chassis is always good regardless of the car's purpose. A stiff chassis simply allows the rest of the suspension to do it's job the way it's supposed to without input from chassis flex. I'd say it probably has no noticeable effect going down the 1/4 mile.
The main reason to get a tower bar is the fact that on a Fox stang they have measured as much as 1/2" of deflection between the two towers under extremely hard cornering loads, which is not good for smooth, predictable handling.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2002, 06:52 PM   #6
MidNiteBlu 5.0
I got something to say

hey blue00GT how has your experience with Maximum Motorsports been? I have been thinking about picking up thier subframe connectors and strut tower brace. i have seen thier strut tower brace before and it looks sweet and the owner highly recommended it.

Later,
Nick
1987 Toyota Pickup
Ricer Haters Club Member #33

Want a custom gauge cluster for your Vintage Mustang?
www.jmeenterprises.com
MidNiteBlu 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2002, 12:52 PM   #7
shadowblue89
Registered Member

Nick,
I also have the Maximum Motorsports Strut Tower and 4point lower. I highly recommend them both. The Strut Tower brace allows for such a large variety of intakes to fit without a single problem and it also gives plenty of room to work on your car without getting in the way.

89 GT 5spd
shadowblue89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2002, 03:10 AM   #8
Tinseltown349
Registered Member

What? are we all Maximum Motorsports boys around here? hehe...They make really nice products, but I'm telling you, their service is crap. At least in my experience..."they ship tomorrow" on numerous occassions for caster/camber plates turned out being about a full month. Oh well, I'm happy with the set-up now. Nice and stiff. No more flex out of this convertible. Probably pulling better g's than the stock Vette set-up... out of a convertible. anywho, going to work final kinks out of the system via Griggs parts, though, they just make more of them sad to say. Need to lighten the front, and find a better way to gain more traction in the rear. Originally, wanted an all-around performance suspension, but after heavy thought, leaning towards turning it more 1/4 mile suspension. Drag anyone? Heh, have to really think about this though, because I'm loving the way the car takes turns now. When you think it's to the limits, it's still taking turns as smooth as a Cadillac. Nice, and boat-like...in a good way.
Mods to 2000 Mustang GT- Vortech SQ supercharger, 3.73 gears, full Maximum Motorsports suspension treatment, 13" Brembo front brakes, 70mm TB, BBK Long-tube headers and H-pipe, Bassani Cat-back exhaust system, Trans-Go shift-kit and trans cooler.
Tinseltown349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2002, 12:09 PM   #9
mysweetlx
Registered Member

OK....if you say so . Thanks alot guys for your input.
Old 05-06-2002, 12:10 PM   #10
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

MidNiteBlu 5.0: I have been very happy with the quality and performance increase with all the parts that I have bought from MM, and so far have not had any bad customer service experiences.
Tinseltown349: I would highly recommend getting a tubular k-member and control arms to lighten up the front. I can't believe the turn-in my car has now. As long as I do a solid weight transfer going into the corners, it just turns. Since I haven't been able to afford the panhard bar and torque arm yet to finish the rear suspension, I can actually turn in fast enough to break the back loose without using the throttle.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: