MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-27-2003, 02:15 AM   #1
ed1371
Registered Member

Default new cobra or STI?

I had my mind made up, I was going to get a new Cobra in 2005

But suburu screwed that all up for me...I started reading about the STI...I was impressed, a 4 banger with 300hp and runs 13.1 in the 1/4 mile, stock.

The suburu dealership here got two of them this week...I drove by MANY times just to look at them.

I test drove one today...

OMFG...what an amazing machine! It is FAST! I got in the car, the dealer started his speal about the specs and I stopped him mid sentence: "be quiet, I want to drive it"

I pushed it hard and it pushed back, it drives like its on rails and when the turbo dumps, hold the hell on!

Interior is race inspired and the seats "hug" you well.

Quite a feat for engineers to put out such a strong car with such a small engine.

Unless ford drops an engine into the cobra that that hits around 500 hp, I am going to to buy my first import next year! (still can't believe it myself....)
Old 07-29-2003, 02:57 AM   #2
MidNiteBlu 5.0
I got something to say

That would be a tough decision for me although I think i would go with the Cobra in the end if I had the money. The STi and WRX for that matter are awesome cars.
1987 Toyota Pickup
Ricer Haters Club Member #33

Want a custom gauge cluster for your Vintage Mustang?
www.jmeenterprises.com
MidNiteBlu 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 11:05 AM   #3
Snakeman
Registered Member

Default one thing you have to ask yourself...

is how much POTENTIAL power is left in that 4-banger and can it hold up to continued abuse?

the cobras will have 700+ HP potential, regardless of what they are rated at from the factory.

i think the subaru is prolly maxed out.

my .02
Old 07-29-2003, 03:54 PM   #4
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

The STI is fast and cool. But parked next to a cobra it looks like crap.

JMO,
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 04:32 PM   #5
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dark_5.0
The STI is fast and cool. But parked next to a cobra it looks like crap.

JMO,
yep, I agree!

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 06:21 PM   #6
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

Ok, let say your at a cool spot and ya meet a nice girl. She asks "So what kind of car do you drive?"

1) You say "subaru," she laughs and then leaves.

2) You say "Mustang Cobra" she says, "H e L L yeah!" and now asks for a ride. GOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLL

I don't think you can be cool in a subaru, but maybe thats just me.
mustangII460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 06:50 PM   #7
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

The WRX STi's are sweet cars and I'm glad they are bringing some of the more worthy imports over here now instead of keeping them in Japan and Europe, but they are already running alot of boost to get that power out of a 4-cylinder, which effects reliability, and as someone else said it's probably almost maxed out unless you want to spend alot of money to get more out of it.
Although I'm not sure about the looks, the Lancer Evol is supposed to be faster through the twisties and only slightly slower in a straight line. Then again, I think they are running like 20+ lbs of boost stock in that car.
Having just read about getting 1040 hp out of a turbo'd 331 ci carbed smallblock on 13 psi, I think I'll stick with the extra displacement.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 10:08 PM   #8
srv1
Get down.....

I would go STI. Its AWD and its fast as hell and most likely reliable. If you live in snowy areas, your Mustang doesnt really do well in it and the STI probably handles better also. I say STI.

James
Old 08-01-2003, 12:41 PM   #9
daveGT
Registered Member

I didn't buy a mustang because it was the fastest car avail. That's a silly reason for buying a car. Any car can be modified to be fast. Anyone seen the 12 second junker minivan video? A couple of tenths in the quarter doesn't matter in everyday driving. Here's the real question you alone should answer.

Does it meet your requirements for a vehicle?

No, a mustang is not the fastest car, or the best ride, or the nicest interior, etc., etc. But, a mustang looks great, has the traditional muscle car proportions (short rear deck, long hood) as opposed to the god-awful "cab forward" designs (Dodge, "F" bods, etc.), has great heritage (Boss, Mach, Cobra, Shelby), most people think they're cool, and I love driving a rear drive V8 powered car with a throaty exhaust. What looks and sounds better than a mustang with aftermarket wheels and exhaust? What is so fun about all-wheel drive (besides the obvious foul weather performance)? I like a car that can do smokey burnouts (with rear tires!), but also has traction control.

I don't deny that the new offerings from Subaru and Mitsu are impressive performers. They are. However, they still look like a car that a 16 year old would drive. The Subaru will never be considered a cool car. Do a survey. How many of the ladies (or guys for that matter) think the Subaru is cool? You'll get more thumbs up in a Cobra than you'll ever get in the Subaru. If you're considering an import, look at the new RX-8 or 300Z. Now those are cool imports! The Subaru is fast? Who cares!?

I didn't mean to lecture, but I'm on this board for a reason - I love mustangs.

'94 Lightning:
White, stock except 50 series Flowmasters

'99 GT (wife's):
Chrome yellow, stock with some pretty slick "flame" pinstripes!
daveGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 12:56 PM   #10
rbohm
Registered Member

Cool

in order to truely know whether or not you will like a car, you have to live with it for a while, unfortunately you cant take a 500 mile test drive in one, but rent one for the weekend and see how you like it. if you can live with it for 8 hours at a time, then buy it. if not then you saved a bunch of money.
by a band who died in a plane crash.

fordsix.com admin
rbohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 06:13 AM   #11
MidNiteBlu 5.0
I got something to say

Why cant the Sti be cool? I think it is a badass car.

It is by far not maxed out. Just because it is running alot of boost from the factory doesnt mean you cant throw a larger turbo on and make more power.

Also why would you need a car to get girls?
1987 Toyota Pickup
Ricer Haters Club Member #33

Want a custom gauge cluster for your Vintage Mustang?
www.jmeenterprises.com
MidNiteBlu 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 04:18 PM   #12
ed1371
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by daveGT

Does it meet your requirements for a vehicle?

No, a mustang is not the fastest car, or the best ride, or the nicest interior, etc., etc. But, a mustang looks great, has the traditional muscle car proportions (short rear deck, long hood) as opposed to the god-awful "cab forward" designs (Dodge, "F" bods, etc.), has great heritage (Boss, Mach, Cobra, Shelby), most people think they're cool, and I love driving a rear drive V8 powered car with a throaty exhaust. What looks and sounds better than a mustang with aftermarket wheels and exhaust?

What is so fun about all-wheel drive (besides the obvious foul weather performance)? I like a car that can do smokey burnouts (with rear tires!), but also has traction control.

I don't deny that the new offerings from Subaru and Mitsu are impressive performers. They are. However, they still look like a car that a 16 year old would drive. The Subaru will never be considered a cool car. Do a survey. How many of the ladies (or guys for that matter) think the Subaru is cool? You'll get more thumbs up in a Cobra than you'll ever get in the Subaru. If you're considering an import, look at the new RX-8 or 300Z. Now those are cool imports! The Subaru is fast? Who cares!?

I didn't mean to lecture, but I'm on this board for a reason - I love mustangs.
I agree with a lot of what you said. I love my mustang. I am by NO means getting rid of mine when I get the STI, in fact I have some big plans for it once I have a new daily driver.

But to answer your questions:

A mustang does have a certain look and sound unique to it. I think it's cool and thats all that matters to me. I honestly could care LESS what others think of it.

That being said, I do not care if a car is considered "cool" by women at all, in fact after being married for 7 years now, I have found that what guys think is cool is in most cases completely different than what women think meets the criteria!

I don't care how many thumbs up (or any digits for that matter) are waved at me.

Whats so fun about all wheel drive? go test drive one and take a corner going 15-20 mph faster than you are used to, rev it up, dump the clutch and instead of wheelspin (which is fun at times!) the car throws itself forward, that will answer your question.

The STI is styled for the younger generation, but not many 16 y/o can afford that car. Again though, I dont care what others think of it anyway. I have grown to like the look (the wing is a bit much and may take time to get used to)

It all boils down to the requirements you asked about:
for me, I want performance in areas now that my current Stang lacks. For me, outstanding performance is what I am looking for in my next car. I don't have to be practical, the wife's car does that duty, and she understands that I will more than likely never own a "practical" car. So yeah, I am a bit silly to buy a car because it is fast and fun to drive, but I am doing so, "because I can"

I do think the 350z is a very cool car, but not enough "go power" for me.

oh, the "who cares" part...lol...well, a good majority of us stang guys do, especially when we are lining up with the enemy at the tree!

Please don't think me a traitor...I promise to give the new stang a chance before making my final decision and I will always have at least one pony in the stable!
Old 08-04-2003, 12:26 PM   #13
daveGT
Registered Member

Talking

The comment about the "ladies" was tongue in cheek. Yes, women oftentimes have a completely different opinion on cool cars, and/or performance - VW Beetle, Neon, Sunfire, etc. But for you single guys, haven't you heard?

"Girls don't like boys, girls like cars and money."

ed1371,

I hear you, man. I'm just not a big fan of the "soap box" econ-o-car styling trend of the WRX and Evolution. Yuk. They look like a car which Jr. borrowed from mom. Not my style at all. I like the muscle car look - should look mean and fast just standing still.

I went through the same thing when I sold my 88 GT. I settled on the '99 Cobra. Love the looks, sound, comfort (with the Recaros), and it fits my personality (and driving style). And I still say, "who cares" that the WRX is fast. You can make any car fast.

These are just opinions, my friend, they're just like @ssholes, as the saying goes. You posted, so I gave mine, and I still say to answer you question: DON'T DO IT! GET THE COBRA!!

'94 Lightning:
White, stock except 50 series Flowmasters

'99 GT (wife's):
Chrome yellow, stock with some pretty slick "flame" pinstripes!
daveGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 12:41 PM   #14
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

To me the best thing about AWD is the fact that if you fix up the motor and start making tons of horsepower you can put alot more of that power to the ground coming out of corners at the limit without losing traction compared to a RWD.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 04:45 PM   #15
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blue00gt
To me the best thing about AWD is the fact that if you fix up the motor and start making tons of horsepower you can put alot more of that power to the ground coming out of corners at the limit without losing traction compared to a RWD.
And break a lot more parts!

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 07:50 PM   #16
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Hope you didn't mention this, but have you driven the 2003 Cobra yet???? Take it for a spin and tell us what you think.
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;
14 x 4” K&N X-stream air filter.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video
Stock 5.0L, 2-chamber Flowmasters, MAC CAI, Tri-Ax, Al pedals...

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 08:19 PM   #17
ac97gt
Registered Member

if you buy the sti you'll get more *** from girls under 18. wanna go to jail?

Flowmasters
Bassani X w/cats
Steeda Triax
K&N and Air Intake Silencer Removed
More to come with money!

My Ride
ac97gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 09:45 PM   #18
srv1
Get down.....

Exclamation

I would still take the STI. It handles better, accellerates quicker than most stock Stangs, does better in the skidpad, cheaper than 03 Cobra, can drive it in the snow and other weather without worrying about the aszend kicking out. I am sure their is more, but that is all I can think of right now.

The Cobra is just nuts. Looks killer, sounds killer and holy shiit, its superfast.

I will would go with the STI if you were to use it as a daily driver, if not go Cobra.

James
Old 08-04-2003, 11:13 PM   #19
bri32zz
Registered Member

The STI would be a nice work and travel car But how could one pass up a COBRA for an import is beyond me
My CAR IS GONE R.I.P----I miss YOU 331ci, 69 Windsor heads ported and shaved , Trick Flow-Intake ported,JE blower pistons, Custom cam 542 lift, 1.73 rrs, Equal length headers, BBK Hi-Flow cats, Hurst shifter, 3:73 gears, Tremec 3550 tranny,Lakewood drag suspension-90/10 in front and 50/50 in the back. Lakewood traction bars. Edelbrock 70mm tb, K&N filter, Kirban fuel reguator, Custom sub-Frame connectors,83 lb squirters, powerdyne blower with 12psi pulley,
http://www.pumpoperators.com/brian/
Rice Haters Club Member #82
My wife is AWSOME!!!!!!!!
bri32zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 12:49 AM   #20
ed1371
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Fox Body
Hope you didn't mention this, but have you driven the 2003 Cobra yet???? Take it for a spin and tell us what you think.
Yup, tried an '03 cobra and I really liked it! It felt SO different than my '91!

But I am not looking at those...I am looking at the new 04/05 models. (If I get any NEW stang, it will be one of those!)