MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-10-2005, 02:18 PM   #1
NeedleBender
Registered Member

Default Takin' it to the Streets

I have a few races this weekend. a few of my friends told a guy and his "crew" that i was maybe the fastest guy at the school. my friend talks alot of crap. i think they want to race but i suspect fire arms are involved. advice...
353 @ the wheels ($3500)
Forced Induction (12psi) ($6000)
Xenon Body Kit ($700)
Bassani Exhaust ($800)
12.2 @ 113 (about $45,000)
Balls enough to use it. . .priceless
NeedleBender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 04:00 PM   #2
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

Default Re: Takin' it to the Streets

If the folks you are going to race are stupid enough to be carrying around guns then they are quite likely to do something stupid during a race and hurt somebody with their driving. I'd steer clear of people like that.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 06:55 PM   #3
EZRIDN
Registered Member

Stay away.

'87 GT..5 spd...Stock...14.4 @ 97 SOLD

'90 GT Conv. A4 Cream Puff...14.6 @ 94 SOLD

'99 Z28..A4..Stock stall, no tuning, all motor, full weight 11.92 @ 117.95 SOLD

'03 Centennal Edition GT 5 spd. 1 of 620 5 spd coupes made.

http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/timeline/99-04/03/100th.htm

Stock.....
13.89 @ 99.03

http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/timeline/99-04/03/100th.htm
EZRIDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 11:04 PM   #4
NeedleBender
Registered Member

I got a call today in my business class sayin that the guy knew better and knew that i was the fastest guy in the city. he said that even in the neighboring town of Lumberton this fact was uncontested. he also said that since i am allegedly the fastest guy in my city that he wants me to meet and race his friend, the aleged fastest guy in that city. i think its all bullshit because any number of motorcycles could whoop my cars ass. my dads zrx1100 smoked me...bad. crotchrockets have always been a passion of mine but theres something about building a full size engine that gives me a hard on. figuratively speaking of course
353 @ the wheels ($3500)
Xenon Body Kit ($700)
Bassani Exhaust ($800)
Old 01-11-2005, 03:47 PM   #5
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

So what's your ride?
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 03:18 PM   #6
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

Your low 12 second ride is the fastest in your town and neightboring town?

You must live in a small down

My 190K mile 13 year old fox runs 11's with stock heads, cam, and suspension. Hell I ran 12.1's with the stock throttle body, stock MAF, stock intake, stock headers, and the stock cat-back

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 05:48 PM   #7
NeedleBender
Registered Member

Yeah, she isnt as powerful as i want her but she's gettin there. i am steadily cutting away at my time with every visit. the car is faster then what i can make it do. the low 12 was with me behind the wheel. with a more experienced driver the time would be better. in the 1/4 mile there are cars faster then me in the 2 cities i am sure. however the stretch of road we race on we aren't at the track (the peice they want to race on) is just over 2 miles long. this is more of a top end race. yes i am from the smaller of the two towns (pop 6500) Lumberton is about twice that size. we are near Houston though and thats where i like to pick challenges. Im in a 99 GT with mods. read my sig for a summary of just about all the work that we have done. oh oh oh before i forget, i am getting knew heads soon. im looking forward to seeing how the car improves.
353 @ the wheels ($3500)
Xenon Body Kit ($700)
Bassani Exhaust ($800)
Old 01-12-2005, 05:49 PM   #8
NeedleBender
Registered Member

*new heads (slaps himself)
353 @ the wheels ($3500)
Xenon Body Kit ($700)
Bassani Exhaust ($800)
Old 01-13-2005, 01:42 AM   #9
tireburner163

Judging by your MPH, your not gonna get much more than a a 12.00 or so.

wow 2 miles huh? Top end huh? Yea.....I don't guess I know much about that. We don't race all gay like like around here.

1998 HD Electra Elide
Old 01-22-2005, 01:39 PM   #10
The Deuce
Registered Member

2 mile race? Could you be any gayer?

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 03:56 PM   #11
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Top end racing puts the Mustang (brick) at a huge disadvantage. I'm not a fan of it since most of the outcome is decided on aerodynamics, and it attracts too much attention to other people that like to play on the streets a little. The Mustang has never been a car with great top end. That's not what it was designed for.

That being said, you're probably getting to about 160-165mph (that's about all the faster your stang can top out at with your horsepower) or more on a public road while racing another vehicle.

Many folks on this site will get mad because:

A) It increases law enforcement activity against street racing.
B) It goes against their limited view of how racing should be.
C) It endangers other people on or around the road.
D) It requires signficantly less skill than drag racing.

You'll probably cover the standing 2 miles in a little under 60 seconds.

I'm not sure why tireburner gets such a kick out of insulting the 1/4 mile times on other people's cars as I've seen him do it more than once, but I'd be apt to agree that your car is pretty much maxed out in regards to 1/4 mile potential judging by the numbers you quoted.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 10:52 AM   #12
tireburner163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit 5302
I'm not sure why tireburner gets such a kick out of insulting the 1/4 mile times on other people's cars as I've seen him do it more than once, but I'd be apt to agree that your car is pretty much maxed out in regards to 1/4 mile potential judging by the numbers you quoted.

Because he was saying his car was the fastest thing in his town.......either he lives in a very small down or he's deluted enough to think a low 12 second car is the fastest in down. Either way I was just informing him that a low 12 second pass isn't all that uncommon.

1998 HD Electra Elide
Old 02-12-2005, 01:13 AM   #13
chrisallen
Registered Member

I think for a 16 year old,,,,,,if that is how old he is, a 12 second car is pretty damn fast........and would probably whoop most kids cars in school. I would advise you though to stay away from the group you are talking about.......fast cars.......hooligans with guns: not good. Besides what is there to prove? YOu want to prove your car is faster, make arrangements for it to be done at the track. Keep it legal.........keep it safe...if you arent old enough to race, have someone else drive your car you trust.
chrisallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 06:18 PM   #14
Cyber-
Registered Member

How old do you have to be to race on most tracks?
Cyber- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 08:33 PM   #15
Fat0eknee
I'm slow ...I know.

there is always somebody faster.
Fat0eknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 09:40 PM   #16
Rev
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat0eknee

Yes and a lot faster. When I go to the track on Fri. nights for test and tune, I always wait for some of the really fast drag cars to lay down a good rubber coating to the starting line. That and the VHT, helps my 60' time by several 1/10's of a second.

So, yes, there's always somebody faster. I see cars from the 9's-10's to the 17's-18's every time I go to the track. Don't ever think that there's not anybody faster.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 10:56 AM   #17
KiltedBanshees93GT
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat0eknee
I'm in a zen mood:
"Be humble, but always strive to be faster."
That way you can have a nasty surprise for soneone waiting down the line a bit
Rice Haters Club Member #239

"I find your lack of faith...disturbing."

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." H. L. Mencken
KiltedBanshees93GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 09:00 PM   #18
67_stang
Registered Member

This kinda bugs me. Why does every kid with a license have to prove something on the street? It dosent matter what car they have. Rice kids at school have to. The kids on a camaro board I was a member of had to. When I was a freshman a teacher of mine had a Audi TT. I asked him a couple months after he bought it how fast he had went in it and how much power it had. He told me "Having power is not how fast your car can go, but real power is knowing when and when not to use it." Kinda stuck with me. Sorry for my rant. Just remember if you hit someone or something bad should happen....your life is over.
67_stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 12:06 AM   #19
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67_stang
This kinda bugs me. Why does every kid with a license have to prove something on the street? It dosent matter what car they have. Rice kids at school have to. The kids on a camaro board I was a member of had to. When I was a freshman a teacher of mine had a Audi TT. I asked him a couple months after he bought it how fast he had went in it and how much power it had. He told me "Having power is not how fast your car can go, but real power is knowing when and when not to use it." Kinda stuck with me. Sorry for my rant. Just remember if you hit someone or something bad should happen....your life is over.
Oh yes, the proverbial everybody should be perfect speech. You should join the lecture circuit. Quite frankly, by your mentality all cars should come with built in speed limit devices controlling how fast you can drive, and maybe 100hp. Just enough to keep it rolling. There is no legitimate reason to have a street car with the horsepower necessary to propel it to 60mph in under 10 seconds or the quarter mile in under 20 seconds. So why are so many street cars far quicker? I hope you don't have to ponder that question.

As far as having something to prove. I don't know as "every kid" has something to prove, but there is a pretty good chance that they gauge a good portion of self worth on their most prized possession. If that's a fast car, they want to prove that their investment/effort was worthwhile. They don't own or feel like they truly own much, and "proving" something is a way to tie their accomplishment into their self-worth. It's the exact same thing for kids involved in sports. Do they really want to invest their time and effort into a sport and then play poorly?

Come on. The answers are not that hard to come by.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 05:42 PM   #20
67_stang
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit 5302
Oh yes, the proverbial everybody should be perfect speech. You should join the lecture circuit. Quite frankly, by your mentality all cars should come with built in speed limit devices controlling how fast you can drive, and maybe 100hp. Just enough to keep it rolling. There is no legitimate reason to have a street car with the horsepower necessary to propel it to 60mph in under 10 seconds or the quarter mile in under 20 seconds. So why are so many street cars far quicker? I hope you don't have to ponder that question.

As far as having something to prove. I don't know as "every kid" has something to prove, but there is a pretty good chance that they gauge a good portion of self worth on their most prized possession. If that's a fast car, they want to prove that their investment/effort was worthwhile. They don't own or feel like they truly own much, and "proving" something is a way to tie their accomplishment into their self-worth. It's the exact same thing for kids involved in sports. Do they really want to invest their time and effort into a sport and then play poorly?

Come on. The answers are not that hard to come by.
I think you misunderstood me. I am not trying to preach here. I was just trying influence him to go to the track for his "Who is the fastest guy in town" dispute. These guys he wants to race have guns. they are more likely not to use them at the track. I did not say or imply that cars are made to go the speed limit or have "100 hp" I was just telling him to be smart and know when to use all the power he has. And I personally would not consider a car with enough horsepower to run the quarter in just under 20 seconds a street car. It's funny how you talked about the quarter mile time when this 16 year old kid thinks its nessary to race for 2 whole miles. which you stated earlier in the post is not what mustangs were made for (top end). And requires less skill. And depending on what they drive, he might lose. So if he is as good of a driver as he says the track will benefit him in those two respects. You did however make a good point about kids proving themselves. I mostly agree. But there is a fine like between proving your self and bieng a a**hole as I am sure you know/have witnessed. No hard feelings and sorry you misunderstood me.
67_stang is offline   Reply With Quote