MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-03-2003, 12:45 AM   #21
Kailhasa
Registered Member

Or, it could be the fact that four wheels grip a lot better than two.
More grip means less slip, and a lot more driveline stress when you dump 400 angry, turbocharged horse power spinning at 6000rpm through every square inch of rubber on the ground. When neither end of the driveline equasion is willing to give an inch, the player who draws the short end of the stick is, unfortunatly, Mr.Clutch. So it will wear very quickly when abused.
Do take note though: A properly driven, stock, TSi AWD, will more than happilly putter around on the stock clutch for a long, long way.
But when you start upping the power, and dumping the clutch for those famous AWD launches, well, the stock clutch just won't cut it. Even aftermarket clutches will break down faster than usual. But its actually a good thing to let your clutch take most of the stress. He can be replaced pretty easilly, whereas a blown tranny, a warped crank, snapped shaft, or detonated differential... well, that tends to be more costly and time consuming. Its just that, DSMs were never meant to take 400hp+ AWD launches. They weren't designed for that kind of stress (though the wonderful thing about them is that they can create it, and survive it for quite a while). So thats why they may seem to have so many "driveline issues".
Two overpowered rear wheels will happilly transform themselves into billowing clouds of smoke... but when you try to overpower four wheels, the demand on that far more complicated driveline will increase by a great degree.
Yes, its a hassle, but its something you learn to live with. The amazed look on other vehicles owners' faces is a pretty handy coping mechanism too.

Peace

-Kail
Kailhasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 11:53 PM   #22
bri32zz
Registered Member

Just to get off of the beaten path a bit....... A car to look out for is the 87 Dodge glhs turbo. These cars are very light 2400lbs and with a little tweaking will kick but. They ran 14 seconds from the factory and with mods can easily reach the 11's. I had one It was my 1st car. My neighbor raced road circuits for Shelby and gave me all kinds of free mods. Mine was very fast and smoked my friends M3 with a turbo BAD. I still to this day like that little car and wish I still had it to drive to work.

My CAR IS GONE R.I.P----I miss YOU 331ci, 69 Windsor heads ported and shaved , Trick Flow-Intake ported,JE blower pistons, Custom cam 542 lift, 1.73 rrs, Equal length headers, BBK Hi-Flow cats, Hurst shifter, 3:73 gears, Tremec 3550 tranny,Lakewood drag suspension-90/10 in front and 50/50 in the back. Lakewood traction bars. Edelbrock 70mm tb, K&N filter, Kirban fuel reguator, Custom sub-Frame connectors,83 lb squirters, powerdyne blower with 12psi pulley,
http://www.pumpoperators.com/brian/
Rice Haters Club Member #82
My wife is AWSOME!!!!!!!!
bri32zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 12:41 PM   #23
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bri32zz
Just to get off of the beaten path a bit....... A car to look out for is the 87 Dodge glhs turbo. These cars are very light 2400lbs and with a little tweaking will kick but. They ran 14 seconds from the factory and with mods can easily reach the 11's. I had one It was my 1st car. My neighbor raced road circuits for Shelby and gave me all kinds of free mods. Mine was very fast and smoked my friends M3 with a turbo BAD. I still to this day like that little car and wish I still had it to drive to work.

I had a good buddy in High school that one a car like that. He'd smoke 350 Camaros all day, it was funny. Had several reliability issues though . But it was a fun little car!

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 06:41 PM   #24
this is not cbring
Registered Member

maybe the guy just didn't want to race you. maybe he had his mind on something, maybe he wasn't running right, maybe he was low on gas, maybe he had a headache, maybe he had groceries in the car, maybe he was trying to get his goldfish home safely, etc, etc, etc..........

maybe he realized that street racing isn't legal.
Old 07-10-2003, 09:26 AM   #25
sdd228
Registered Member

if thats the case then he should have looked over and told the guy that he cant go. i hate when the people dont even look over at you when they know they drive a pretty quick car and you drive a quick car. whats the point of having a fast car if you dont play around a little bit. (besides going to the track) grant it street racing is illegal but i know i wont go above a certain speed if we're around a busy part of town.
Nitto DR's 245/50R16
NOS hopefully 100 shot
sdd228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 09:41 PM   #26
BilLster
Registered Member

I have a awd aerostar van thats supprised a lot of people off of the line awd does help untill hp is substancially added. I want to add a vortech to it when money is available.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: