MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-21-2001, 06:41 PM   #1
jonnyk
Being stroked is great

Post Taurus SHO 5 speed bites the bullet

I was out the other night coming back from a movie, and low and behold, in front of me was an SHO waiting to turn left. I was headed that way anyways. It was two young guys in the car, and when they left the light I noted the ugly sounding loud exhaust of a V6 (how can they stand that?). They took off pretty hard on the left and I chased, and caught up to them fast going up a hill in 3rd (three lanes wide), but they didn't show any enthusiasm. We cruised for about a mile, and then came to a light.
It was wet out on the pavement because it had lightly snowed earlier, so I knew traction was going to be a problem. We didn't exchange revs, but you can sometimes just tell when it's on Light goes green, I give it about 1/3 throttle until 4500 revs, snapped 2nd quick, and eased into it. I started to spin near the top of 2nd, backpedaled, and then had to shift, and had about a car length on the SHO. 3rd and 4th gears were kind of a waste of time, I had at least 5-6 car lengths on them when I shut down at 90.
Aren't these cars supposed to pull harder up top? Oh well, it felt like my car was running strong anyways. I wish I could take one of those from a dead stop on dry pavement sometime. I also can't wait until the real cars come out of hiding so I can play. Winter hasn't even been that bad this year.

------------------
1991 LX Hatch 5.0L
jonnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2001, 07:38 PM   #2
Fostang
Registered Member

There isn't a point to race a 6 cyl or 4 cyl. I tend not to because it's not even either way. I have an older stang a 67' fastback and hate to race rice burners and or mom cars. Not worth my gas. Although some people won't agree with me that's what I think. Let them go on thinking they beat you or you chickened out. Later on it'll get to the driver of "real" car and he'll want to "try" to race just so it will help his self esteem because he'll think he is going to win. Better not to show what your car can do. "Let the small fishes go!....because there is always bigger ones to be reeled in"
Fostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2001, 08:38 PM   #3
shawn p
Registered Member

I can't speak for the v6 SHO but I bought the V8 version for my wife. It had alot of power for a factory ride but after a cat back system home-ade ram-air and under-drive pulley she likes to suprise the stangs and camaros around town. it wont run with a built stang but even before the suspension upgrades on a winding road she will send you home wondering what the h*** happened.
shawn p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2001, 11:15 PM   #4
QuantumMotorsports
Registered Member

Hey Fostang,

Ever tried and raced a Buick Grand National? Or maybe a GNX? Or how about a Porsche 911? Maybe you'll change your mind about v6 cars and 4 bangers. There are some damn fast cars other than V8 mustangs. I used to think V8 power wasn't matched by anything, but I've seen a stock grand national beat a lightly modded stang straight off the line until about 100mph. They are damn fast cars. And in my opinion, I race anything that wants to race, whether it's a geo metro, or a blown stang with NOS or something, I race for the fun, win or lose. Just my opinion.

------------------
Michael Black
Quantum Motorsports
Norman, Oklahoma

1988 Merc Cougar 5.0 HO, P&Ped heads, 2.25" custom mandrel bent dual pipes, T5 five speed tranny
15.43 @ 91.08mph (not shabby for a 3600 pound car)
60' 2.453 Street tires suck!!!

QuantumMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2001, 11:04 PM   #5
Fostang
Registered Member

I know what you mean quantum. My dads SVO mustang is pretty damn fast for a 4cyl turbo charged car. It can beat stock auto gt's maybe with just flows and a K&N.
Fostang is offline   Reply With Quote