MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-07-2003, 05:00 PM   #1
FivepointOH
Registered Member

Default Texas Street racing shutdown???!?

Any other texans out there who used to street race? What do yall think of the new law? If you haven't heard there is a new law that passed sept 1st that basically says is you get stopped for street racing you go to jail, impound your car and 1 year liscense suspension MINIMUM. It's now a class B misdameanor(sp?) I might as well sell my car bc there is no point in driving a fast car now. Exhibition of speed(spinning the tires or if the cop thinks you are accelerating 2 fast) is under street racing too and faces the same fines/penalties. I don't know what idiot out there passed this that makes street racing a worse crime than dui.
92 AOD GT, K&N, ram air, pulleys, 2 ch. flowmasters, 4:10's, shift kit, 1 5/8 mac longtubes and offroad hpipe 14.249 @ 97.34

Lakewood 90/10's and 50/50's
FivepointOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 06:47 PM   #2
Jaegermeister2k
Registered Member

I guess you're eather gonna have to keep it strictly on the track,take your chances with the cops,or just move.Most people in here including me don't condone street racing,but let's face it.Every now and then we all step on it,and having our car impounded for that and going to jail is WAY too harsh for that.I hope i don't ever see something like that happen here in florida.But over here i think it's old people who cause the most accident so i hope they'll deal with them first.
Jaegermeister2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 07:15 PM   #3
The Deuce
Registered Member

...at least you get to keep your car.

In Los Angeles County, (CA) you get your car stolen and autioned by the local PD.

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 09:11 PM   #4
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Quote:
Exhibition of speed(spinning the tires or if the cop thinks you are accelerating 2 fast) is under street racing too and faces the same fines/penalties.
If that is the case, you might as well arrest every person in Dallas who owns a Viper or Ferrari. And here in Dallas, they're everywhere... Get a little aggrivated and shift... oops, broke traction...

Spinning the tires and accelerating too fast are very subjective terms... a good lawyer and cash will get you around those particular issues.

As far as getting caught street racing... you pay your money and take your chances... I particularly think that street racing is the current "evil" thing that the media and law enforcement is losing all sense of reality on. The slow and the stickered movies and the stupid assed kids who race in morning traffic doesn't help....

Give it a few years, something else will be "hot", and you'll be able to go out to the back roads again....

Until then, have a good lawyer on retainer and take it to the track.
That is all...
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 11:03 PM   #5
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Amazing. What is this country coming to?
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;
14 x 4” K&N X-stream air filter.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video
Stock 5.0L, 2-chamber Flowmasters, MAC CAI, Tri-Ax, Al pedals...

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 11:35 PM   #6
ac97gt
Registered Member

some people race smart, some people race stupid. stupid people and media (fast and the furious) make this stuff happen. that law is much too harsh, i agree. like hammer said, a good lawyer could probably argue you out of about anything, or at least a lesser sentence. if you ever get pulled over racing, you may just be lucky and get a cool cop who lets you off, or just writes a speeding ticket. you really never know, and every time you put your foot into it, its a risk you take. if i were you, i would move

Flowmasters
Bassani X w/cats
Steeda Triax
K&N and Air Intake Silencer Removed
More to come with money!

My Ride
ac97gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 08:25 PM   #7
Coupe50h
Registered Member

Yep, and another law passed, if you get tickets, i think moving violation only, if im not mistaken, you get points for every ticket, and eventually if you get enough "points" you get your licence suspended, and it cost lots of $$ to get it back....

but on the subject, i still know of people that streetrace here in tx, the scene has been kinda dead lately though, but thats good, because less people, draw less cops, and yes we do it late, on a backroad that we rarely see any traffic, i havent been out since sept 1st though, but im sure i will......to bad down here in s.a. we have the highest dwi fatality rate, and they are cracking down on streetracing? wtf? most accident are kids testing the limits of their moms, or grandma's car in a residential neighborhood, kill themselves, or someone else, and it's automatically labeld "streetracing"

our local track is holding a "midnight drags" night now, which is only streetcars with exhaust/mufflers running with just a tree, and win light, no timeslips (street oriented) and takes place 11:00pm to 3 am! and will also be cheaper than normal test n tune night, also will have seperate lanes just for grudge racers.
if they keep that up, im done with the street.
X-Texas highway patrol ssp 1990 coupe - exploder Gt-40 iron heads, Explorer intake, 19 lber's. E-cam. crane 1.7 rollers. 190fp. 75mm maf. 65mm tb, tubular subframe connectors, mac cai, Asp crank pulley, T-5, king cobra clutch, flowtech 1-5/8 unequals, mac X-pipe Frpp driveshaft, lakewood Lca's.
race weight 3,160

12.69 @ 107.35, 1.71 60' 26x8.5 drag's 3.90 gear

13.20 @ 106.91 - 235/60/15 firestones 2.3 60' 3.27 gear
Coupe50h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 07:15 PM   #8
fastas69
Registered Member

Kansas has passed that law also, If you get cought street racing automatic felony, time in jail and its left up to the judge wether you get to keep your car or not. I personally think it's a bunch of bullshirt.........If you know what I mean! Leaving it up to the dumb arse cops we have around here , if you are "racing" or not! Just to let you know how stupid the cops are around here......... I got pulled over one day, the cop tells me he heard me racing!!!! WTF? He tried to write me a ticket for 60 in a 35. I asked him how he could judge my speed by the sound of my car? He then tried to back out of that and say he clocked me, I then asked him to see, He said no, I said BS, he then said he had allready cleared it. Needless to say I got out of that one! So like I said dumbarses!!
Old 09-12-2003, 05:32 PM   #9
Rev
Registered Member

Default Yup

It's a class b misdemeanor now, It goes to a state district court with all the murderers and rapists now. Conviction will include a fine, jail time and/or possible vehicle confiscation just as if you used it in a bank heist or a dope deal. Really smart state legislators we have here, LOL.

My advice is to say nothing at the time, and cooperate fully otherwise. Be polite but don't admit to anything. Then get a lawyer well versed in traffic misdemeanors ASAP. You will spend some bucks on the defense.

Hopefully, there will be enough evidence or lack there of to show a "reasonable doubt" as to your guilt. If a good lawyer can show that, then the verdict must be "not guilty". It may require a jury trial and will certainly be expensive, but that's life in the fast lane.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 02:23 PM   #10
Mopar1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fastas69
Kansas has passed that law also, If you get cought street racing automatic felony, time in jail and its left up to the judge wether you get to keep your car or not. I personally think it's a bunch of bullshirt.........
I say it's about time, keep the racing to the track!
'77 Aspen R/T: 318 w/273 heads, 4spd, Hurst Shifter, 600 holley, edelbrock intake, 8 3/4 axle, 3.23 sure-grip, dual 3" exhaust, MP cam 276 / 276 duration 490 / 490 mech solid lifter, Super Stock Springs
(15.65@88 3900lbs)

'91 Mustang LX: .030 Bored, Typhoon Intake, 4.10's, Lentech VB, BBK 70mm TB, FMS A/C elim bracket, 19lbs inject, off road H-pipe, 75mm pro-m MAF, FRP unequal shorty, stormin normin hood.

3420 Lbs w/ 220 (me) and 13 gal gas.

'02 SS Camaro
Mopar1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: