MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Poll: Should they be allowed to clone a baby.
Poll Options
Should they be allowed to clone a baby.

Old 08-13-2002, 11:11 PM   #1
zepherman
Registered Member

Question Should a couple be allowed to clone a baby?

I just read that a couple who cannot have children are thinking about cloning a baby girl with the mothers DNA. The couple has tried everything to get pregnant, but have failed. They dont want to adopt so they are thinking of cloning as a last resort.

What do you think. Should they be allowed to do this?
90 GT 25th Anni. Did the AOD to T-5 swap, SPEC clutch, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, BBK 2½ inch off-road H pipe, Flows, BBK 70mm TB/EGR, Ford Racing aluminim driveshaft, 3.55's, welded subframes, Ram Air, 3 core radiator, NOS dry kit 75 shot, and a K&N filter.

12.9 @ 108
zepherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 11:17 PM   #2
jj_jonathon
Trisket

cloning is very controversial....but most people dont realize that this is the only way for it to be cloning...its not like multiplicity....you cant replicate people...you start from the beginning...but in this specific case...i think its better than using someone else's DNA and having a baby that is really not a part of you...

My 02GT vert
Media Center Pics
BBK Underdrive Pulleys | K&N FIPK (Gen II) | Bullet Grille | Mach 1 Chin Spoiler | UPR Interior Parts | XM Radio | Audiobahn Subs

Ricer Hater's Club Member #1/2 (30) http://www.ricehatersclub.com/
jj_jonathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 11:49 PM   #3
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

I think it would be a bad idea. Like that one movie said, Once it was found out they were a clone, there would be hatred for them, who knows how bad it would get, I wouldn't want my child to ever face that.
Old 08-13-2002, 11:54 PM   #4
zepherman
Registered Member

Im shure it would be up to the family and the child as far as who they wanted to tell. In the article the couple were not releasing thier identity.
90 GT 25th Anni. Did the AOD to T-5 swap, SPEC clutch, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, BBK 2½ inch off-road H pipe, Flows, BBK 70mm TB/EGR, Ford Racing aluminim driveshaft, 3.55's, welded subframes, Ram Air, 3 core radiator, NOS dry kit 75 shot, and a K&N filter.

12.9 @ 108
Old 08-14-2002, 12:06 AM   #5
Shelby428cj
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by joe4speed
I think it would be a bad idea. Like that one movie said, Once it was found out they were a clone, there would be hatred for them, who knows how bad it would get, I wouldn't want my child to ever face that.
I agree with joe4speed on this one the whole cloning thing freaks me out anyway just like genetic engineering!! Hey joe what movie is that off of !!!!!!!!
1969 Mustang (Project Rice Eater)
1999 Silver Mustang Saleen S281 (SQ car for stereo contests)
SQ Goddess
My Stereo Bro "tireburner163"
Shelby428cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 12:08 AM   #6
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

Quote:
Originally posted by Shelby428cj

I agree with joe4speed on this one the whole cloning thing freaks me out anyway just like genetic engineering!! Hey joe what movie is that off of !!!!!!!!
hmmmm Arnold Swarzenneger (sp???) was in it, but I can't think of the name!
Old 08-14-2002, 12:43 AM   #7
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

imho, cloning is not natural, i think it's whacked, are they going to clone another hitler, or bin laden, it's just wrong, but that's just my opinion.

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 12:47 AM   #8
6T9PONY
All about the Windsor.

Man, when a subject like this comes up you just gotta think of how the native Americans did it. If the chick couldn't get knocked up, life goes on. She just wouldn't have a kid.

Some people may not feel 'complete' without a child after they are married, but how 'complete' can something CLONED make a natural person feel?

I'll stop there.
6T9PONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 12:52 AM   #9
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 6T9PONY
Man, when a subject like this comes up you just gotta think of how the native Americans did it. If the chick couldn't get knocked up, life goes on. She just wouldn't have a kid.

Some people may not feel 'complete' without a child after they are married, but how 'complete' can something CLONED make a natural person feel?

I'll stop there.
hey bud watch it talking about my native american's, im a card carrying member, just joking with ya ben, l8ter.

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 02:13 AM   #10
The Deuce
Registered Member

Why can't the couple have a baby? I mean you can piece together a singe egg with a single sperm and make a unique person that way. If those don't take, how will a clone take any better.

I'm sorry, but there is a limit to how much medicine can do to give people kids. I have no idea how much that would stink to be barren, but I'm not sure that a cloned kid would even take. And if it did, there would be a whole nother set of problems to deal with.

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 02:29 AM   #11
zepherman
Registered Member

I think the mothers eggs are the problem. They want to take a womans egg and remove its DNA and replace it with the mothers DNA.

12.9 @ 108
Old 08-14-2002, 03:05 AM   #12
69fastback
IRAQ VET

The movie is called the 6th day. It is a very good movie. I don't like cloning at all i think that it is creepy. People should not be allowed to do it. Just let life take its course.
91 GT
69fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 03:15 AM   #13
Topless In Texas
Not broken anymore!

Talking IMO

IMO....babies are something I never thought about cloning...now MY DOGS....ID CLONE THEM IN A NEW YORK MINUTE!!!!!!!!! They are getting up in age now..my oldest is turning 11 in january and I CANT LIVE with the thought of being w/out my dogs.!!!!!!!!! I had them since before my daughter was born, and when and IF they EVER die, ,you might as well bury me next to them, in my car.......they are my babies! I've noticed my older female slowing down wanting to be 'alone'. I cant imagine waking up with out her in my face! I know this is not the same thing as cloning kids, but, i would clone my dogs in a HEARTBEAT! If I could have more years of happiness w./ them! TNT

RICE HATERS CLUB MEMBER #38!!

O.B.C #5..thank you!! I feel so priveledged!!

BONE STOCK~ Hell, its a ROUSH!
Topless In Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 08:38 AM   #14
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Thumbs down Clone me a baby, dear. Pleeeease.

Cloning human beings is a foolish idea.

First, I doubt it's anywhere as 'simple' as some reports make it sound and I have to assume there are many failures and complications - if the process is even ultimately successful.

I won't even delve into the moral applications and the repugnant idea of fallible human beings 'playing God' but it all sounds rather Frankenstein-like. Just because we can do something doesn't mean we should. i.e. Nuclear bombs, Anthrax, giving Anna Nicolle Smith a TV show, things like that seem to go against nature.

Adoption is always available and the selfishness of couples who insist on having 'their' child is somewhat understandable but that doesn't mean they have to be indulged at any cost. Not all science is beneficial and cloning looks like a scientific, moral and medical can of worms when human beings are the subject.

I vote no.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 08:40 AM   #15
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

LMAO............Cloning people is ilegal, So I dont see how they would be allowed to do it.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 08:44 AM   #16
Topless In Texas
Not broken anymore!

Lightbulb Re: Clone me a baby, dear. Pleeeease.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr 5 0
giving Anna Nicolle Smith a TV show, things like that seem to go against nature.

I vote no.
LOL! Ya, Now THATS one talented individual~!!!!!!!! LOL! NOT! Good point! TNT

RICE HATERS CLUB MEMBER #38!!

O.B.C #5..thank you!! I feel so priveledged!!

BONE STOCK~ Hell, its a ROUSH!
Topless In Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 08:57 AM   #17
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

There is nothing wrong with anna nicole smith.........

Old 08-14-2002, 11:00 AM   #18
RPM427
Registered Member

We are a ways away from being able to clone a human. Just recently a scientist was able to clone an embro that will eventually be used for stem cells. I think it only got to the 6 cell state then stopped. This technology can be used to repair damaged nerve cells that will enable paralyzed people to walk again (it has been done in rats with amazing results). Also organs can be reapired or transplated. This technology might even hold the cure to cancer. Millions of people will benifit form this technology. I think once we can do it, many people will support it once they know the benifits. Most people know someone or has a frind that might have an illness that can be fixed with this technology. The ONLY reason I can see for some people to opose this, is if they have deep religous beliefs.

-1994 Ranger w/ 427cid windsor (daily beater)
check it out!
RPM427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 12:07 PM   #19
induction
The Brit!

Default Re: Clone me a baby, dear. Pleeeease.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr 5 0

I won't even delve into the moral applications and the repugnant idea of fallible human beings 'playing God' but it all sounds rather Frankenstein-like.

Adoption is always available and the selfishness of couples who insist on having 'their' child is somewhat understandable but that doesn't mean they have to be indulged at any cost.
BTW what would a shallow and selfish couple do If they were allowed to cloan and ended up with a # 4 (Multipilcity) ?
April Mare of the Month RiceHatersClub Member #27
induction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 12:18 PM   #20
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

I watched that movie just the other day #4 was the ummm......"mentaly challenged one"

There are more natural ways to have kids. cloning would take all the fun out of it.