MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-08-2001, 06:05 PM   #1
yusuf
Registered Member

Post Took an LS1 on the fwy

Some fellow in a white LT1 Camaro convertible drove up beside me on a relatively empty freeway (the 280 near San Francisco), and then gunned it. My wife, who disapproves of racing, was with me.

Throwing caution and marital sensibilities to the wind, I downshifted to 4th and pulled ahead about 2-3 cars in a jiffy. After I hit about 80mph, I slowed back down. No need to break the sound barrier and my own neck to prove a point.

He was a good sport. He caught up and smiled and nodded, and I smiled back. My wife was cool, too; she congratulated me on beating a Camaro. I didn't think she could recognize one, maybe it's written on the bumper.

65 Coupe
351W->427 stroker
3.08 gears, T56
yusuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2001, 06:11 PM   #2
302 LX Eric
or '331 LX Eric'

maybe it's written on the bumper

Oh well, even if it is (which I think is true) at least she didn't give you an ear-full about the dangers of street racing!

Nice to hear that the "other side" was cool about the loss.

Good kill.
E

------------------
1991 5.0 LX Coupe -37,800 miles

13.17 @ 106.14 mph w/ 2.138 60'

Pro-Charger D-1SC on the way!!!
302 LX Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2001, 06:52 PM   #3
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Thumbs up

Nice kill. Also, I'm always impressed with my mom or dad when I show them a Mustang or Camaro and they know what it is. If they don't I have to educate them. I try my best to spread the "Muscle Car Gospel".

“…because, no one’s really gonna be free until nerd persecution ends.” ---Revenge of the Nerds

-------------------------------
'79 Mustang Coup
4" Cowl
Weld wheels (15x6;15x8)
Stock 5.8L
C4 w/ shift kit
1.5" MAC full length headers
Holley 750 CFM
Edelbrock intake
2.5" Off road H-pipe
8.8" Rear end w/ 2.73:1 gears (sucks!)
Front: 225/60/15 Rear: 255/60/15 Eagle GT II
Sucky Purolator air filter that's choking my car.
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2001, 12:15 AM   #4
StreetStang37
Registered Member

This is a very fishy "story". Your title says "race", yet there was no racing. You "Raced" from, at the very minimum, 65 (everybody drives faster than 65 on the freeway, especially 280, I know I live in the area) to a mind boggling 80?? that's like 3 to 4 seconds if that. If he punched it, then he would have been going 70 or so. So from 65 to 80 you easily put 3 car lenghts when he was going 70 and up??? That's a tough pill to swallow. By the time you would top out(?) at 80 he would be easily in the mid 70's most likely more since he had a jump on you. What drag car are you driving on the freeway!! So what car did you really race. Your title says an LS-1 but then you mention an LT-1. It will probably now be a TPI and soon dropping to a RS V-6 and then who knows what.
|>
|
|
III The B.S. flag has been raised!!

------------------
March Ram Air, K & N filter charger, Pullies, Super Competition Hooker Headers, 2 1/2 in. mendrel bent cat back, High Flow H-Pipe, Pro 5.0 Power Tower
StreetStang37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2001, 12:51 AM   #5
NO SLO PK
Registered Member

Hey, let's give Yusuf a little slack here. So he said LS1 instead of LT1, and the mph recount might not have been the best. So what? Most speedos from that vintage need calibration anyway (I own one!). I mean, who really gives a s*** if the details weren't dead nuts accurate. Drop a 427W into a 2700 pound Mustang, and it instantly receives 11 second potential and should annihilate nearly any factory car, especially on the freeway where traction is not a factor.

------------------
'91 LX
Procharger, 3 row intercooler, extrude honed Cobra intake, Mac full Length Headers, 30# inj., 73mm C&L, 75mm tb, E303 cam, 289 rods, ported E7 heads, MSD, T-Rex w/255 lph Walbro, 5 lug conversion, Cobra R wheels, 3.27 gears and Moser Axles.
NO SLO PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2001, 02:24 AM   #6
yusuf
Registered Member

Sorry, my mistake, it really was an LT1. And my speedo is unplugged (I just changed the cable), so I'm estimating we went from 60-80mph.

You don't have to believe me, I really don't care. But we can "recreate" the scene on the 280 or anywhere else you like.

yusuf is offline   Reply With Quote