MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-05-2001, 05:29 PM   #1
exgmguy
Registered Member

Thumbs up Took out a new CBR600

This was sweet. My girlfriend and I took my car out this past Saturday because the weather was really nice. Well the bike got next to me in traffic and paced me. He had a girl on the back.

I crack the bottle open and slip into 2nd. He hits it immidiately and does a mild wheelie with me right next to him. I wind out 2nd, pulling slightly, powershift 3rd and keep pulling. I shut down in the top of 3rd with probably 2 cars on him.

We ran again with the same outcome. I told him too bad he had the passenger! She was a pretty tiny girl, but it does not take much extra weight to slow a bike down. He also said he ran 11.4 on the bike, so I know he can ride pretty good.

I think the new CBR's are called f4's? I don't know if I would have beat him without the passenger, but I have beat a handful of 600's before.

------------------
1988 Mustang GT

12.0 @ 121 on radials
S-trim Vortech sitting in a box!
exgmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2001, 07:20 PM   #2
sedanman
Registered Member

Man, I can't wait to get some nitrous. I have yet to get a bike kill but with the new motor combo I have in the works I maybe able to begin knocking them down.

When is the charger going on, it is about that time of the year you know.
sedanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2001, 08:58 PM   #3
exgmguy
Registered Member

Yeah, summer will be here before I know it. I still have to get a few things for the blower before I put it on. Then a custom chip/dyno tune.

As far as racing bikes go, 600 Katanas are the easiest sportbikes. I even beat one on motor alone, and I only run a 110-111 trap speed! They are pretty slow for a bike. 600 Hurricanes(old CBR), FZR's, these are the ones to go after. A new 600 Ninja is faster than most of the older 750's. Watch out for them.
Old 03-05-2001, 11:04 PM   #4
88GT5.013.02

exgmguy:

Sweet, remember me. Now I really want to go for a ride in your car. Milan opens on March 31st and my buddy has a '01 Lightning and he is going to run it there. I am not taking my car though, but might take my buddy's car. Sweet kill man!

------------------
88GT stock shortblock, ported GT-40 iron heads, Edlebrock Performer intake, 24# inj, Pro-M 75mm Bullet MAM, 3.73, hurst short throw, F-303, electric fan, alum rad, FMS HD clutch, R134a ac conversion, 70mm TB , and some other stuff I probably forgot, best run so far on ET streets is 13.02@106 with a 1.87 60ft Only been to the track once still alot more tuning to do and need more driving experience.(Full body weight GT, full tank of gas, and sway bars connected, gonna disconnect sway bars and dip
Old 03-06-2001, 02:41 AM   #5
inferno
The Instigator

Any 600 sportbike from the past three years will run 10s stock with the right rider. Even with an average rider and a passenger, from a roll, you should have been looking at the back of the bike. The F4i is the newest CBR and it is faster than the F4 from a roll. The difference between the F4 and the F4i, is that the F4i is fuel injected instead of carbarated.
inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2001, 03:35 PM   #6
exgmguy
Registered Member

He was a good rider, even with the passenger. My FZR 600 was slightly modded and ran 11.7 @ 117. I had a 150 lb friend on the back and got lunched by a stock ZR-1.

I have yet to actually see a 600 run a 10 at the track. Sure Sport Rider magazine says they will, but all the ones I see at the track run in the 11's around 120 mph. Don't forget they print corrected times in magazines for bikes, as well as use a pro-rider.

88GT, I have been to Milan for opening day for the past 2 years, and it kinda sucks. You sit in line all day and get 2 runs. I bet Lapeer is open right now.
Old 03-06-2001, 03:42 PM   #7
Unit 5302
Registered Member

I knew it. I just knew it. inferno just had to open his mouth.

Dude, the car runs a 12.0@120+mph

Bikes get their advantage out of the hole, not from a roll. Look at exgmguy's trap speed.

A new F4 can run mid 10's at best, with a rider and no passenger. Adding a passenger adds over 15% of additional weight to the bike. That's like adding 400lbs to a car. Plus bikes are not nearly as fast as their quarter mile times indicate when going from a roll, especially at hwy speeds.

I've run several 600's with my GT, including a hopped up FZR600 that my friend (who owns a motorcycle performance shop and is in Daytona right now dynoing bikes on his Dynojet). I've never lost. My friend has a jet kit, lightly ported heads, exhaust, and K&N pods. He's making about 65rwhp, and with super riding he should be well in the 12's. My car is a high 13 sec car at best, yet he cannot beat me from a 20-80 roll.

That's like saying a 13.2@108 LS1 cannot take a 12.8@104 5.0 on the hwy.

There is more to street racing than 1/4 mile times dude. Wayyyy more.

hehehehe, wouldn't you know it, my 2,000 post would be antagonizing inferno! Dude, I don't want you to think I follow you around and wait for you to post so I can jump on you, it just seems like you've got some very strong opinions on import cars and sport bikes. Don't get me wrong, I love the bikes as much as any one else (not the cars), but from what I've seen on the street, they are not quite the killers on the street that they are at the track.

[This message has been edited by Unit 5302 (edited 03-06-2001).]
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2001, 03:49 PM   #8
exgmguy
Registered Member

Thanks.

My best trap speed was 122 mph. That is easily enough mph for a high 10 second run. Except for the fact that my T-5 just hates slicks!
Old 03-06-2001, 04:02 PM   #9
sedanman
Registered Member

I have to agree with unit5302 and exgmguy on this one. Especially since I have never seen a 600 turn a 10 second pass at the track. But then again I don't go out of my way to watch the bikes race I have seen far two many get hurt racing bikes at the strip (two killed and one injured badly).

But I still watch them from time to time and I have yet to see a 600 run 10's.
sedanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2001, 05:38 PM   #10
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

I would have to side with the car on this one too. I had an FZR600 that was heavily modded (a friend in college had the same mods on a 49 state model and dyno'd at over 90hp). With the right rider, should have been good for high 10s / low 11s. I raced my friend's 95 Eclipse with 430 crank hp (11.7 @ >120 on slicks) from a 30mph roll on the freeway and he ate me all the way up to 145.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2001, 02:27 AM   #11
inferno
The Instigator

Ok, I will concede this one upon looking at the trap speed. But I will end with this, the F4 is known for it's mid-range power. That is why a F4 won the 2000 600 supersport championship.

[This message has been edited by inferno (edited 03-07-2001).]
inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2001, 11:01 PM   #12
Red514LX
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Nice kill. Your car runs awesome for a 306/n2O combo.

I think it was very foolish of the guy on the bike to race. He obviously doesn't value the life of his gf too much which is sad. Racing on a bike is very dangerous no matter how many people are riding on it.

Anyway, how many psi of boost are you planning on running? My guess is that you'll need about 12psi to equal-or-better your current 122mph best. Also, with your motor, I would not run more than 12psi.

How was Cancun?!?!

------------------
Jeff Kane
1990 LX Mustang ex-5.0 Coupe
No engine. No transmission.
Prepping car for a "big" big-block.
http://hometown.aol.com/red514lx/

Red514LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2001, 03:23 PM   #13
exgmguy
Registered Member

Jeff, thanks, but my car does not really make all that much power, it is just really light.

I was thinking of selling the blower actually due to some financial stuff, but if I end up keeping it I will probably run the stock pulleys and use a powerpipe. I guess i'll be good for about 10 psi then.

Cancun was sweet. 85 degrees, sunny everyday, drunk every night. Sucks to come home to snow.
Old 03-09-2001, 04:48 PM   #14
Godslayer
Registered Member

Hey EXGMGUY, I thought you were supposed to be trying to make your car faster? Ditch the blower, get some more go fast goodies and stick with the juice

------------------
87 GT
Full exhaust, K&N, KB Subs, BBK STB, homeade dumps...

87 Taurus
New York
Winters Bite!

Godslayer is offline   Reply With Quote