MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-09-2003, 06:36 PM   #1
1jimmy__d
Registered Member

Default top speed? AND grandam gt jerk!

just curious as to what you think my top speed is with the set up i have without nitrous. I was messing around with a new grand am GT on the highway and had 4th gear pretty much topped out and then went to 5th gear for a little. i see this cock flying behind me tryingf to catch up so right as he catches me i get on it and catch him pretty quick (not as quick as i would have liked). then i slowly pulled on him through all of 4th and a little 5th. how are the Grandams on the highway? What do you think my speed is top speed as well as 4th gear? my speedo is off! thanks,

jim
90 lx hatch, holley systemax II kit, rebuilt 302, BBK 155 lph fuel pump, pro M bullet mass meter wtih BBk cold air intake, 30 # injectors, 70 mm TB, jacobs ignition system, edelbrock water pump, BBk longtube headers with h-pipe, flowmasters, b&m ripper shifter, 3.55 gears, Proform electric fan, subframe connectors/removed smog pump and ac!

75 shot of nitrous!

13.2 at 112 1/4 mile- no traction!
1jimmy__d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 07:47 PM   #2
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Grand Ams are quick for their class of car, but you're not gonna have any problems with them....

As far as your top speed, who knows. When you say your speedo is off, do you mean offset b/c of the gears? Drive beside a friend and see how much off (maybe about 10 mph--- eg. when your speedo says 65, you're really going 55). So then, how fast where you going at the top of 4rth??? Perhaps 110? I don't see 140 mph... on a looooooooooooong stretch of road being too difficult. I'm just guessing....
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;
14 x 4” K&N X-stream air filter.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video
Stock 5.0L, 2-chamber Flowmasters, MAC CAI, Tri-Ax, Al pedals...

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 03:15 PM   #3
one
Registered Member

128.56 miles per hour. That is your top speed.
one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 03:55 PM   #4
Dave_mustang_50
Registered Member

I believe your computer will shut you down at 140 unless you have a custom chip. I had a similar combo and hit 130 @ 4500 in 4th. The car felt VERY loose. I`m curious though. I see you have a 75 shot with the Holley 2 kit. I was told there was too much overlap on the cam to run nitrous.Are you running the Holley cam? Looks like a sweet combo.

Sold 92 Rag Top GT
Procharged & intercooled DSS 331 LC
Holley Systemax 2 Intake, Edelbrock RPM Heads,E 303 ,blow thru air meter, race bypass, 42 pph injectors,65mm tb,1.7 rr, Mac long tube headers w/off road H pipe, Force 2 catback, TKO,Pro 5.0, K&N, Alum DS,3 core radiator, subframe connectors,3.73`s, Nitto DR`s and a Heavy Foot.
Dave_mustang_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 07:40 PM   #5
1jimmy__d
Registered Member

as far as i know the previous owner bought the whole Holley II kit, so that would be the cam too. The nitrous is sweet when you hit the trigger, however I need some traction to hit her anywhere near first and 2nd. if im rolling and am racing someone on the street, ANd hit the juice-woooohhhhhooooooo. it flies!! Next set of tires are street slicks of some sort. this set up creates a lot of vacuum though which likes to leak oil a tad. I dont care though, im getting 11-12 mpg which is awesome! NOT!

what do you mean by too much overlap? will/could this hurt the car?
90 lx hatch, holley systemax II kit, rebuilt 302, BBK 155 lph fuel pump, pro M bullet mass meter wtih BBk cold air intake, 30 # injectors, 70 mm TB, jacobs ignition system, edelbrock water pump, BBk longtube headers with h-pipe, flowmasters, b&m ripper shifter, 3.55 gears, Proform electric fan, subframe connectors/removed smog pump and ac!

75 shot of nitrous!

13.2 at 112 1/4 mile- no traction!
1jimmy__d is offline   Reply With Quote