MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-08-2001, 12:19 PM   #1
CobraConv99
Registered Member

Unhappy Track Last Night!! (Good and Terrible)

I went to the track last night. Car was running really good. My best time was 8.39@82.56 mph (8th mile). So I'm feeling really good because I haven't even got close to that before previous best (8.59). When a friend of mine wants me to drive his 99 Cobra hardtop. He was running 8.80's wanted me to see if I could get it into the 8.50's.(8.66 was his best but not last night) So I said I would try. Well I dust the tires off pretty good, and stage. Well I take it to 4000 at first and decide to backoff to 3000 since it's not my car, and I didn't think it would stick. So I launch and start to spin, start to let out stops spinning hit the gas again NOTHING happens except rpm's go really high. Then I put into 2nd NOTHING. Now I'm scared. Well we tow it off the track and to his house looked @ in the dark pretty sure it's the ring and pinion snapped. Cause driveshaft is spinning but nothing is going to the wheels. Checked half axles wasn't broke either. He is taking it to the shop today or tommorrow. Man do I feel terrible!! Then on the way home I develop an exhaust leak where the manifold meets the H-Pipe. I should have just stayed home almost wasn't worth an 8.39!!!!!

------------------
Mods: 4.10 gears, nitto drag radials, o/r h-pipe
CobraConv99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2001, 12:41 PM   #2
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

Unhappy

that sux im glad i have the solid rear end, was offered to trade for a cobra irs i just didnt want to, sorry about your ride ,i do love those snakes, just could not afford one,well better luck to you,see ya. you did have a good run would have smoked me.

------------------
2000gt black,broke a$$ street racing!the last rebel!
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2001, 12:45 PM   #3
topless tire fryer
All show, some go 4 now!

Congrats and I'm sorry. Just remember, it would have happend to him too.

------------------
'95 Chrome Yellow GT ragtop, KN filter charger, Dynomax cat back, Accel plugs and wires, Chromed '95 Cobra R's (bought for $19.95, now 2 are warped!
Our baby <a href="http://www.mustangworks.com/cgi-bin/moi-display.cgi?1883">
topless tire fryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2001, 02:11 PM   #4
CobraConv99
Registered Member

Wasn't my car it was my friends car. I was driving his 99 Cobra Hardtop. Mine is a 99 Conv. He wanted me to try and make it go 8.50's!! I just made it not go anymore.

------------------
Mods: 4.10 gears, nitto drag radials, o/r h-pipe
CobraConv99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2001, 04:10 PM   #5
D&R Stang

I understang your feelings of guilt. I've been in similar situations in the past, however I was on the receiving end with the broke car that my friend wrecked. The way I look at it, if he's not mad at you, then he's truly a great friend.
Old 11-08-2001, 06:31 PM   #6
dashapht
Registered Member

Does the guy understand that it's not your fault?

Obviously he's aware of the risks of drag racing a car and trusted you enough to let you race it.

------------------
93 Reef Blue Notchback, 74k miles (August 2001), TFS TW Heads, TFS Stage 1 Cam, TFS Track Heat Intake, 1.6 RR's, 70mm TB, Cold Air ,76mm MAF Meter, 24lb injectors, 255lph in-tank, AFPR, Edelbrock Water Pump, Be Cool Radiator, Mac 1 5/8" Long Tube Headers, 2.5" Pro Chamber, Flowmaster 2 CH 2.5" Cat Back, 3.73 , Alum Driveshaft, Auburn Differential, 17x9 Cobra Rs with Nitto 555s, Tri-Ax Shifter.
Got to make a pass finally! 8.44 @ 85mph on regular radials.
My new website: <A HREF="http
dashapht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2001, 12:59 AM   #7
69fastback
IRAQ VET

It alwasy sucks to break ur freinds car. I would hate to do that. I quess that is why i only dirve my cars if it breaks it is my fault.
69fastback is offline   Reply With Quote