MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-04-2001, 08:33 PM   #1
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Question What is happening to me? Mustang comradery or am I just getting old?

This morning on the way to town, I see this nice, clean '91-'93 GT a little more than a 1/8 mile in front of me so my foot (has a mind of its own sometimes) eases down the accelerator pedal to catch up and play. Lo and behold, red light and I get the suicide (merging) lane--just the way I like it.

I look over and the guy (~mid 40) looks over in anticipation and waves and I wave back. All of a sudden I get this "all in the family"-type feeling and rising adrenaline subsides. As sometimes in the past, it always feels good to get up beside any other decent looking Mustang (V8) on the road, but I am still always more than willing to tangle, yet this time it was a sort of "respect for family" type of feeling. And when the light turned green, I just let him go (kinda as a sign of respect).

About 2 minutes later, totatlly puzzled, I thought to myself, "Jamal, what the heck was that?" Hmmmmm. Well, now that I think about it, it was kinda early in the morning and I usually don't wanna do anything after I've just woken up.

One thing's for sure though, if he had revved me, I wouldn't have hesitated. This was a first for me though.

Oh yeah, it was pretty much stock and I'm sure I would have slaughtered it.

-----------------------------------------
'79 Mustang Coup w/ 4" Cowl
Stock 5.8L, C4 w/ shift kit
Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake
1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, Al driveshaft
2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters
Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 255/60/15 Eagle GT II
Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s
14 x 4” K&N air filter (getting the Xtreme setup someday)

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to
Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left
thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body

Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2001, 10:17 PM   #2
69fastback
IRAQ VET

Don't worry about it is just enjoying the site of a nice looking Mustang. It happens to me all the time.

------------------
69 428 cobra jet: tons of mods.
97 f-150 5.4 xlt mark III
BUCKLE UP. SUCK IT IN.
Objects in the mirror are about to disappear...
QUICKLY!!!!!!

69fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2001, 02:14 AM   #3
Capri306

You aren't getting old, you're just learning respect for your own brethren. Kinda like when I used to beat up my lil' bro, now I just punch him once in a while. j/k hehehe

------------------
Capri306, Moderator, The Mustang Works Online
1979 Mercury Capri, 5.0L -- C4 -- 2.73
1987 Mustang LX Notch
Capri306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2001, 08:32 AM   #4
Smokedawg
Tires Fear Me...

I was wondering, how do you know it was pretty much stock?

------------------
347 Stroker Motor: Balanced, Cobra Transmission, Extrude Ported and Polished Upper and ported Lower, GT40 Milled Ported and Polished Heads, B303 Cam, BBK 1 5/8 Headers, 30lb Bosch Injectors, Holley AFPR, March Underdrive Pulleys, Perma-Cool Fan, 3-Core Radiator, Accel Performance Coil, Accel 300+ Racing Wires, Ram Air, K&N Filter, 73mm Vortech MAF, 70mm TB, FlowMaster Exhaust w/BBK Offroad H-Pipe, Hurst Shifter, 3:55 Gears, Ram Clutch, Cross Drilled Rotors, AC and Smog del, rear seat del.
Smokedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2001, 09:37 AM   #5
#1 Pony
Registered Member

Yeah.. how you tell what's under the hood... perhaps the sound?
#1 Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2001, 09:54 AM   #6
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Talking

Fox Body:

You're getting old.

No, no, just kidding! I couldn't resist.

I have a near-stock LX and generally, I'll run almost anyone on the street, although your 351 would probably be one of those "let's-see-how-it-runs" type of races, where I would feel more like an observer of your cars performance rather than a competitor.

For all that, I've let probable races go by and I'm sure most others around this site have too. Lots of reasons; The other car is too slow, i.e. A ricer with decals and a fart muffler but not much more - which is about 95% of the ricers in my neck of the woods.
A wild sounding muscle car that is clearly WAAAAAY out of my league or else the road is bad ahead and I know it or it's cop heaven - and I know it - or just too much traffic to mess around in...the usual reasons for not racing when you have an opportunity.
Then, there is just 'mood'. Too tired, too crabby, too distracted with more important things at the moment. As for having pangs of guilt when thinking about family as you described, that's an important factor too.
It's a whole lot easier to be a little crazy behind the wheel when it's just you, but when you have a wife and kid(s) and maybe a home and career too, driving 100 MPH down Main Street just to 'show' some stranger in a Chevy (or whatever) how fast your car is doesn't have quite the same appeal it once did. Not for me, anyway. So I still street race, but not just because some jerk revs at me in a Civic or his Daddy's Monte Carlo.
I race when I want to, when I think I have a good shot and when the road, traffic and weather is reasonable. That turns out to be less than I would like, but just enough to keep my racing juices flowing without endangering myself needlessly, beyond the normal danger of just driving fast.

I would say you're reaching a maturing process and your lack of desire to race anyone, anytime, anywhere is normal and certainly nothing to worry about. Enjoy the freedom to choose and the freedom to do as you wish with your Mustang, not dictated by every punk kid or old fart who pulls up to you at a light and revs. You decide and it's O.K. to say "Nope". It's not a lack of pride or guts, just using discernment and free will. It's kind of liberating, so enjoy it.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2001, 02:55 AM   #7
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Wink

I don't know, I just feel it's more of a "priviledge" to race a Ford (specifically Mustangs, and even more specifically, a souped up Mustang). I encountered that "Mustang Family" feeling about a year ago when my friend (in '92 Z28) and I (in my Mustang) were leaving a local cruising spot. This white ~'90 GT vert got up beside us and would never race me or my friend in the 92 Z28 until my friend turned off the main road to go to his house. AS SOON AS he turned off, the guy in the white vert shot up right beside me and it was on (BTW that was the closest race I EVER had so far--when I had the 2.73 gears). "Oh Okay I get it". He had to turn off b4 I did and when he did, he roled down his window and gave a big wave, and I replied. Not to say that there is always a set way/etiquette, but I have eased up and changed some of my racing traits, many to which Mr. 5.0 mentioned, the biggest thing is NO MORE STALKING cars for races (I stopped this after I built my 351W).

*crap, this post is getting too long*

Smokedawg and #1 Pony, of course you can't ALWAYS be sure if a car is stock, but it get's easier to tell when you've been around for a while ....and when the time comes when you're wrong, then more power to the winner, still fun. Sound was the first giveaway. Also, age/type/gender/demeanor of driver, rims, exhaust system (appearance) are other cues that point toward level of a car's moddedness (whatever that means).

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr 5 0:
...Then, there is just 'mood'. Too tired, too crabby, too distracted with more important things at the moment...

...So I still street race, but not just because some jerk revs at me in a Civic or his Daddy's Monte Carlo.
I race when I want to, when I think I have a good shot and when the road, traffic and weather is reasonable...

I would say you're reaching a maturing process and your lack of desire to race anyone, anytime, anywhere is normal and certainly nothing to worry about. Enjoy the freedom to choose and the freedom to do as you wish with your Mustang, not dictated by every punk kid or old fart who pulls up to you at a light and revs. You decide and it's O.K. to say "Nope". It's not a lack of pride or guts, just using discernment and free will. It's kind of liberating, so enjoy it.
Don't mean to shound cheezy, but those are really words of wisdom Mr. 5.0. You sound like the guy who helped me build my car.

Related to that incident that morning though, I think it was mostly mood, but there is also a sense of "Mustang family" and having the tendency to just not race EVERYONE I come upon. I guess street racing is a lot like eating pizza: Yeah it's fun, but not if it's for breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day!

What I'm not sure about is after I get my car down into the 11s (hopefully b4 the year is over) if I will want to race more or less... *pondering the though*

alright, I'll shut up now.

-----------------------------------------
'79 Mustang Coup w/ 4" Cowl
Stock 5.8L, C4 w/ shift kit
Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake
1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, Al driveshaft
2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters
Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 255/60/15 Eagle GT II
Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s
14 x 4” K&N air filter (getting the Xtreme setup someday)

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to
Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left
thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body

Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote