View Single Post
Old 12-12-2001, 09:58 PM   #48
LeadSled1
Registered Member

Most of your higher end blower kits for the LT1/LS1 include and aftercooler/intercooler. This is a must due to the compression. I've noticed alot of the Mustang guys don't have alot of info on intercoolers. With the same amount of boost you can make up to 100rwhp more by using a intercooler.

The Vortech kit for the LS1 is a 9psi kit complete with aftercooler. Rwhp vs Rwhp the DOHC motor is going to put out better numbers on boost but the LS1s have a decent curve to them. I watched a LS1 with incons at 6psi running traps of 125mph at Cecil about a month ago. The only other mod on the car was a clutch. He was running high 11s on 2.4 60's (stock tires).

Also, on a L98 motor I went from 100mph to 109mph with less than 4psi of boost. A car with a restrictive intake but good cubes and ehaust will gain a lot off of small boost. This forces air through the restrictive intake. If your exhaust is restrictive too than you will not see as much of a gain.

The LS1s love boost but in their stock configuration they can not handle a lot of it. Due to the fewer head bolts than the LT1s they suffer from lifting heads and blowing gaskets like the 5.0s.
LeadSled1 is offline   Reply With Quote