MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-27-2002, 10:24 AM   #1
this is not cbring
Registered Member

Default volkswagen gti vs. mustang gtr

i was driving along yesterday and i see a black mustang pulling out from a side road. it is sporting a GTR badge on the front grill replacing the pony enblem and a GTR badge on the front fender. it had a purple neon kit under the car, tiny "tuner style" rims
(prolly 15's), and a real loud exhaust.

i roll out from a light and i shift into 3rd around 25 mph. the mustang pulls up to me. the driver is a visor wearing teen. he looks over at me, laughs, and his car lurches forward a couple of times. i guess it was an auto and he was trying to run me. he looks over again and i smile.

he takes off. i leave it in 3rd, so he pulls a car or 2 on me as i wait for the turbo to spool. the phocker waives bye to me about the time i hit boost. PERFECT! i reel him in immediately and proceed to take several cars on him until i shut down at 65 or 70. he looked pretty dumbfounded.

of course, his GTR was a 6 cylinder, just like the venerable skyline GTR's that he copied his badge from.

it was a pretty lame run and barely worth mention, but as you all know, it is pretty fun to show a cocky guy a thing or two.

please no hypothical v8 stangs will smoke me, because 1) i am happy with the platform i have chosen, it serves me well, and i know its capabilities 2) it isn't really relevant this this post or "run"

thank you, have a nice day
Old 10-27-2002, 04:34 PM   #2
0h n0 5.0
Registered Member

hey i beat a daewoo the other day..

first, depending on which year this mustang was, this wasn't much of a feat. the 94-98 v6's are pos's performance wise. 145 horses outa the box, weak lil 7.5 rearend.. ain't much of a race or challenge for any other respecting inline 4 or 6 with a lighter frame. (f*ckin forget an 8) Given the Sn95's weight in comparisson to horse/torque, you raced a rock.

the 6's have come into their own with the 00-02 6's makin 199 horses stock, a bigger aftermarket for R&D for v6 products, an serious v6 performers comin out..but the 6 was never designed(OE) to be a performer. it was built to keep the platform alive because most of the mustangs sold are 6's because v8 insurance is obscene .

you met rice stang (yes there are such anomolies) usually driven by junior who wants an 8, but can't afford the insurance or dosen't possess the skills to pilot one safetly or skillfully, stomping grounds usually include drive in burger joints, movie parking lots, etc. not uncommon for ricer tips to be affixed to the one single tailpipe..

second, there is no such thing as a "GTR" mustang. this is jus a marketing fad used to either imitate the real GTR cars or make fun of the ricer fad of putting "R" on non Racer cars. the only "R" in the mustang pony corral is the firebreathing SVT Cobras produced in 93-2003, which is about as far from this clown you ran as you can possibly get.

in 95 Ford put out a limited number of stripped down GT's called GTS that had v6 stylings, but 5.0 engines with no spoilers. supposed to be a poor man's GT option (kinda like the fox body lx 5.0's) and very rare if you an find one.

the only other explanation for the "R" on this suckers car being the 94's vin production year is "R" so could be the year of the 94 car.( i thought about puttin "R" on my 94 5.0) but from his mannerisims, his styling choices and his lil attitude..sounds like you ran "rice stang" to me...

but good ricer kill

1994 GT 5.0l
0h n0 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 04:52 PM   #3
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Smile Re: volkswagen gti vs. mustang gtr

Quote:
Originally posted by this is not cbring
...it was a pretty lame run and barely worth mention, but as you all know, it is pretty fun to show a cocky guy a thing or two.

please no hypothical v8 stangs will smoke me, because 1) i am happy with the platform i have chosen, it serves me well, and i know its capabilities 2) it isn't really relevant this this post or "run"

thank you, have a nice day
LOL! Hey, screw them, you have the right to post here just like anyone else, no apologies/disclaimers needed (but yeah, I know what you mean).

...Mustang GTR Oh brother, I guess it's whatever one gets a kick out of, but snotty, cocky little idiot, ignorant boys driving their birthday presents on the road just seem to irritate me. There's no way that I could bear to do that to any stang. Poor stang.

Just out of curiosity, have you ever taken your car to the track? If so, what times do you run? If not, what times do you think your car'll run? Just wondering.
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;
14 x 4” K&N X-stream air filter.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video
Stock 5.0L, 2-chamber Flowmasters, MAC CAI, Tri-Ax, Al pedals...

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 06:09 PM   #4
inferno
The Instigator

Quote:
Originally posted by 0h n0 5.0
hey i beat a daewoo the other day..

first, depending on which year this mustang was, this wasn't much of a feat. the 94-98 v6's are pos's performance wise. 145 horses outa the box, weak lil 7.5 rearend.. ain't much of a race or challenge for any other respecting inline 4 or 6 with a lighter frame. (f*ckin forget an 8) Given the Sn95's weight in comparisson to horse/torque, you raced a rock.

the 6's have come into their own with the 00-02 6's makin 199 horses stock, a bigger aftermarket for R&D for v6 products, an serious v6 performers comin out..but the 6 was never designed(OE) to be a performer. it was built to keep the platform alive because most of the mustangs sold are 6's because v8 insurance is obscene .

you met rice stang (yes there are such anomolies) usually driven by junior who wants an 8, but can't afford the insurance or dosen't possess the skills to pilot one safetly or skillfully, stomping grounds usually include drive in burger joints, movie parking lots, etc. not uncommon for ricer tips to be affixed to the one single tailpipe..

second, there is no such thing as a "GTR" mustang. this is jus a marketing fad used to either imitate the real GTR cars or make fun of the ricer fad of putting "R" on non Racer cars. the only "R" in the mustang pony corral is the firebreathing SVT Cobras produced in 93-2003, which is about as far from this clown you ran as you can possibly get.

in 95 Ford put out a limited number of stripped down GT's called GTS that had v6 stylings, but 5.0 engines with no spoilers. supposed to be a poor man's GT option (kinda like the fox body lx 5.0's) and very rare if you an find one.

the only other explanation for the "R" on this suckers car being the 94's vin production year is "R" so could be the year of the 94 car.( i thought about puttin "R" on my 94 5.0) but from his mannerisims, his styling choices and his lil attitude..sounds like you ran "rice stang" to me...

but good ricer kill
LMAO
Old 10-28-2002, 10:04 AM   #5
this is not cbring
Registered Member

Default Re: Re: volkswagen gti vs. mustang gtr

Quote:
Originally posted by Fox Body
Just out of curiosity, have you ever taken your car to the track? If so, what times do you run? If not, what times do you think your car'll run? Just wondering.
i've never ran it at the track. i'm beginning to doubt that i ever will. i love it and love beating on it, but going to the track isn't really fun for me. the local track is an 1/8th mile and my car caters more to the quarter. whenever i go to "import night", there are maybe 5 people over 22 and maybe 10 cars that'll run in the 9's (remember 1/8th mile) whenever i go to test & tune, the domestic guys don't make me feel safe or welcome. when i spend money on entertainment, i prefer to do it in an environment where i feel safe & welcome. i've got a buddy with a high 7 second vr4 and he has a couple of buddies with comparable supra's, if they ever go out on the same night, i'll go with them and and just run each other, so no rednecks get their egos hurt and want to fight them.

i will drag my 1972 monte when i happy with how its running and i will autocross the gti all day long when i get a little closer to paying it off.

oh yeah, i'd say that i could conjure low 15's out of my gti as it currently sits......a good driver should be able to dip into the 14's with it (which is irrelevant, cause no good driver will ever drive my baby )
Old 10-28-2002, 10:26 AM   #6
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Quote:
there are maybe 5 people over 22 and maybe 10 cars that'll run in the 9's (remember 1/8th mile)
And you wonder why we give ricers a hard time...

Quote:
whenever i go to test & tune, the domestic guys don't make me feel safe or welcome.
I remember you posted a bad experience at the local track...
Sorry you had a bad experience but not all domestic owners have POS Chevy 305s that burn oil and wear mullets on our heads.

As long as there aren't 35 contrasting colors on your VW and a 5 foot tri-plane wing, I don't think anyone at any of our tracks would give you a hard time....
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 10:37 AM   #7
this is not cbring
Registered Member

i'd say that there might be around 100 imports of the sport compact nature in the knoxville area with 13 or 14 second potential as they sit, most of them driven by guys over 22 and out of school............

but they seem to feel the same way i do, they hate import night because of all the teens and teens wanting to fight.............and they don't run against domestics cause they are afraid of getting beatin' to death with a lead pipe when they beat a stock 80's stang or camaro or monte ss in their supercharged integra gsr or whatever...........so they don't run, or they pack up and drive 4 hours to atlanta and run once or twice a year
Old 10-28-2002, 11:05 AM   #8
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Quote:
they are afraid of getting beatin' to death with a lead pipe when they beat a stock 80's stang or camaro
I'm amazed at the difference of people that seem to frequent your track between the D/FW area tracks...

While I used to have my rifle on the rack when I had my truck, I don't ever remember carrying a lead pipe...
(I live in Texas. We all have guns and we like to fry people...)

I go to the track A LOT during the season. (Usually alternate between Ennis and some of the local 1/8 mile tracks)

My point is that I RARELY see a bone stock 80s Mustang or Camaro at the track. Heck, I rarely see a bone stock ANYTHING at our tracks.

In fact, if I have to think about what I see most of that are bone stock at the track, its the imports.
(and there's not that many of them either...)
Old 10-28-2002, 11:40 AM   #9
this is not cbring
Registered Member

i've never actually seen anyone with a lead pipe........just a fear that a few i've talk to have...........when i went, i did see 4 or 5 "domestic guys" encircle a victorious import..........

the only thing i've heard (and no i didn't see it, though i saw pictures of the supposed aftermath) about is a friend of a friend upset a 99-up stang in a celica gts with bolt-ons and weight reduction.......i think he ran mid-low 9's, maybe a 9.4 or something.............

from what i understand, he went to the bathroom and came back and the mustang guy and his buddies had busted his carbon fiber hood and were ripping hoses and wires out of his engine bay......

edit: all the rivalry i've seen is almost enough to make me want to give up cars as a hobby, buy an auto corrolla, study the stock market, play chess, and collect wine and expense cigars or something
Old 10-28-2002, 12:10 PM   #10
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Hmm,

Quote:
his buddies had busted his carbon fiber hood and were ripping hoses and wires out of his engine bay......
It's hard to believe the track management would put up with that kind of crap...

Note to self:
Never move to Knoxville...
Old 10-28-2002, 12:13 PM   #11
this is not cbring
Registered Member

from what i understand, those guys were banned forever and charges were pressed
Old 10-28-2002, 02:01 PM   #12
one
Registered Member

It really is a shame that things in the racing communities have come to that. Hopefully serious people that are just there to race and have fun with domestic or import people will get tired of the jerks that do this kind of stuff, and some how put a stop to it. Problems like those are why the police are now giving people tickets that watch Street Racing where I live. It really is a shame.
one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 06:59 PM   #13
MidNiteBlu 5.0
I got something to say

it seems to me you live in a shitty area for racing thats too bad because most of the places elsewhere are not very biased. especially out here we have alot of rice but also alot of respectable imports that seem to get along with domestic people and vice versa. its better that way.

oh and nice kill agaisnt one of those giving us Mustang guys a bad name

Later,
Nick
1987 Toyota Pickup
Ricer Haters Club Member #33

Want a custom gauge cluster for your Vintage Mustang?
www.jmeenterprises.com
MidNiteBlu 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote